Emory 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rapstar
Posts: 161
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:37 pm

Re: Emory 2010

Postby rapstar » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:50 pm

Has anyone received a scholarship offer yet?

onetimeonly95
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:25 pm

Re: Emory 2010

Postby onetimeonly95 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:03 pm

f0bolous wrote:Got an email today inviting admitted students to apply for a position as Res Life House Director. I haven't gotten an admission packet yet...does this mean I'm in?

I've been complete since before XMas, and haven't heard anything since. People with lower #s and with later complete dates have already been admitted, so I was starting to get a little concerned.


I presume you have RA experience correct? I've been an RA for two years and would love that option. I even expressed great interest to an adcomm.

Damn Emory give me a sign please!

rccohla
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:05 pm

Re: Emory 2010

Postby rccohla » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:08 pm

onetimeonly95 wrote:
f0bolous wrote:Got an email today inviting admitted students to apply for a position as Res Life House Director. I haven't gotten an admission packet yet...does this mean I'm in?

I've been complete since before XMas, and haven't heard anything since. People with lower #s and with later complete dates have already been admitted, so I was starting to get a little concerned.


I presume you have RA experience correct? I've been an RA for two years and would love that option. I even expressed great interest to an adcomm.

Damn Emory give me a sign please!


I got the email as well. Free housing and a $7k stipend. Details at this link: http://www.emory.edu/HOUSING/JOBS/osfl_hd.html

hotwater
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:46 pm

Re: Emory 2010

Postby hotwater » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:09 pm

rcc, have you already been accepted?

rccohla
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:05 pm

Re: Emory 2010

Postby rccohla » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:17 pm

hotwater wrote:rcc, have you already been accepted?


I have indeed. I was accepted at the end of December.

User avatar
maximus34998
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:16 am

Re: Emory 2010

Postby maximus34998 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:21 pm

rapstar wrote:Has anyone received a scholarship offer yet?


Yeah, got mine yesterday. $66k. Toured the school today and loved it. They said the first round of $$$ offers are out this week. I live within 30 minutes of the school, so I'm assuming people further away will get their scholarship letters soon.

autao
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:20 pm

Re: Emory 2010

Postby autao » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:25 pm

maximus34998 wrote:
rapstar wrote:Has anyone received a scholarship offer yet?


Yeah, got mine yesterday. $66k. Toured the school today and loved it. They said the first round of $$$ offers are out this week. I live within 30 minutes of the school, so I'm assuming people further away will get their scholarship letters soon.


Congratulations. Emory a serious contender for you?

User avatar
maximus34998
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:16 am

Re: Emory 2010

Postby maximus34998 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:31 pm

autao wrote:
maximus34998 wrote:
rapstar wrote:Has anyone received a scholarship offer yet?


Yeah, got mine yesterday. $66k. Toured the school today and loved it. They said the first round of $$$ offers are out this week. I live within 30 minutes of the school, so I'm assuming people further away will get their scholarship letters soon.


Congratulations. Emory a serious contender for you?


Definitely. I've lived in the Atlanta area my entire life and I want the Atlanta market post-graduation. I would think there are only 2 schools I'd even consider outside of Emory right now, and those are Harvard (not going to happen) and Virginia (who knows?)

rccohla
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:05 pm

Re: Emory 2010

Postby rccohla » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:45 pm

maximus34998 wrote:
autao wrote:
maximus34998 wrote:
rapstar wrote:Has anyone received a scholarship offer yet?


Yeah, got mine yesterday. $66k. Toured the school today and loved it. They said the first round of $$$ offers are out this week. I live within 30 minutes of the school, so I'm assuming people further away will get their scholarship letters soon.


Congratulations. Emory a serious contender for you?


Definitely. I've lived in the Atlanta area my entire life and I want the Atlanta market post-graduation. I would think there are only 2 schools I'd even consider outside of Emory right now, and those are Harvard (not going to happen) and Virginia (who knows?)


Maximus, do you/did you go to undergrad in Atlanta? Where did you go if you don't mind my asking?

turkishangora
Posts: 213
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:18 am

Re: Emory 2010

Postby turkishangora » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:01 pm

maximus34998 wrote:
rapstar wrote:Has anyone received a scholarship offer yet?


Yeah, got mine yesterday. $66k. Toured the school today and loved it. They said the first round of $$$ offers are out this week. I live within 30 minutes of the school, so I'm assuming people further away will get their scholarship letters soon.


Congrats! Did you send in Financial aid stuff already? thanks

User avatar
maximus34998
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:16 am

Re: Emory 2010

Postby maximus34998 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:08 pm

turkishangora wrote:
maximus34998 wrote:
rapstar wrote:Has anyone received a scholarship offer yet?


Yeah, got mine yesterday. $66k. Toured the school today and loved it. They said the first round of $$$ offers are out this week. I live within 30 minutes of the school, so I'm assuming people further away will get their scholarship letters soon.


Congrats! Did you send in Financial aid stuff already? thanks


Yeah I filled out my FAFSA this week sometime...the days run together sometimes! :) I would really suggest to everyone to go visit...I didn't get any of the "cutthroat" vibe that people have complained about in the past concerning Emory. Everyone was really nice...

de5igual
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:52 pm

Re: Emory 2010

Postby de5igual » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:16 pm

maximus34998 wrote:
turkishangora wrote:
maximus34998 wrote:
rapstar wrote:Has anyone received a scholarship offer yet?


Yeah, got mine yesterday. $66k. Toured the school today and loved it. They said the first round of $$$ offers are out this week. I live within 30 minutes of the school, so I'm assuming people further away will get their scholarship letters soon.


Congrats! Did you send in Financial aid stuff already? thanks


Yeah I filled out my FAFSA this week sometime...the days run together sometimes! :) I would really suggest to everyone to go visit...I didn't get any of the "cutthroat" vibe that people have complained about in the past concerning Emory. Everyone was really nice...


$66k seems really low for your numbers. i guess they're not throwing out $$$ like they used to

User avatar
rocross1
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 11:20 am

Re: Emory 2010

Postby rocross1 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:56 pm

$66k seems really low for your numbers. i guess they're not throwing out $$$ like they used to[/quote]

Yeah I wouldn't expect money like in the past. When I went there to visit they said that their endowment had taken a big hit and they don't expect near as much in terms of a financial aid budget this year.

User avatar
entrechatsix
Posts: 229
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:05 am

Re: Emory 2010

Postby entrechatsix » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:06 pm

i got my offer today... 72,000. and both of my #s are lower than maximus's... so i guess that's odd.


edit: looking through last year's stuff, it seems like they give the bigger scholarships to people with numbers closer to the medians... (166ers with my gpa got th 96k for example) so perhaps you guys can still hope for $$$?

and to answer other q's, it comes with a viewbook, says something about how to register for "visiting day," and only requires you remain in good academic standing.
Last edited by entrechatsix on Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
chicoalto0649
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:34 pm

Re: Emory 2010

Postby chicoalto0649 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:07 pm

Complete on 1/14 here. Sent in app jan 5th

Just called admissions and they said my application is being "prepared for review." I expect a long wait.....

User avatar
maximus34998
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:16 am

Re: Emory 2010

Postby maximus34998 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:17 pm

entrechatsix wrote:i got my offer today... 72,000. and both of my #s are lower than maximus's... which is odd.


edit: looking through last year's stuff, it seems like they give the bigger scholarships to people with numbers closer to the medians... (166ers with my gpa got th 96k for example) so perhaps you guys can still hope for $$$?


I think after a certain point (the target median?) softs matter in terms of scholarships. I think their target median is 167 this year, so really they have no incentive to give someone with a 173 any more than a 167/168/169. Especially someone with as little on a resume as me (TTTT Undergrad, no great extracurriculars, average PS/LORs.)

I think there will be many, many less bigger numbers this year though, you know, with the economy and everything.

And for me? I am thrilled with any money anywhere. I went into the cycle genuinely expecting to struggle to get into Georgia State. Everything at this point is just a bonus.

User avatar
entrechatsix
Posts: 229
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:05 am

Re: Emory 2010

Postby entrechatsix » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:20 pm

maximus34998 wrote:
entrechatsix wrote:i got my offer today... 72,000. and both of my #s are lower than maximus's... which is odd.


edit: looking through last year's stuff, it seems like they give the bigger scholarships to people with numbers closer to the medians... (166ers with my gpa got th 96k for example) so perhaps you guys can still hope for $$$?


I think after a certain point (the target median?) softs matter in terms of scholarships. I think their target median is 167 this year, so really they have no incentive to give someone with a 173 any more than a 167/168/169. Especially someone with as little on a resume as me (TTTT Undergrad, no great extracurriculars, average PS/LORs.)

I think there will be many, many less bigger numbers this year though, you know, with the economy and everything.

And for me? I am thrilled with any money anywhere. I went into the cycle genuinely expecting to struggle to get into Georgia State. Everything at this point is just a bonus.


that's definitely a good point (and i'm nothing special softs-wise either). I definitely wanna offer you a BIG congrats! you deserve it

User avatar
84Sunbird2000
Posts: 756
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:39 pm

Re: Emory 2010

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:22 pm

entrechatsix wrote:
maximus34998 wrote:
entrechatsix wrote:i got my offer today... 72,000. and both of my #s are lower than maximus's... which is odd.


edit: looking through last year's stuff, it seems like they give the bigger scholarships to people with numbers closer to the medians... (166ers with my gpa got th 96k for example) so perhaps you guys can still hope for $$$?


I think after a certain point (the target median?) softs matter in terms of scholarships. I think their target median is 167 this year, so really they have no incentive to give someone with a 173 any more than a 167/168/169. Especially someone with as little on a resume as me (TTTT Undergrad, no great extracurriculars, average PS/LORs.)

I think there will be many, many less bigger numbers this year though, you know, with the economy and everything.

And for me? I am thrilled with any money anywhere. I went into the cycle genuinely expecting to struggle to get into Georgia State. Everything at this point is just a bonus.




that's definitely a good point (and i'm nothing special softs-wise either). I definitely wanna offer you a BIG congrats! you deserve it


NO! Please, Emory, resign yourself to my 166 for your median. I was really amped looking at those with my numbers getting 32k per. Oh, well, shouldn't fret before I get (or don't get) a scholarship offer.

Edit: Quote Fail!
Last edited by 84Sunbird2000 on Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
entrechatsix
Posts: 229
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:05 am

Re: Emory 2010

Postby entrechatsix » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:28 pm

haha k. i thought that might have been some TLS joke i'm too new to get.

de5igual
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:52 pm

Re: Emory 2010

Postby de5igual » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:08 pm

woohoo! emailed them and got confirmation that I'm in! evidently my acceptance package got lost in the mail last month

Nat1018
Posts: 179
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:41 am

Re: Emory 2010

Postby Nat1018 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:20 pm

Has anyone heard anything whose been complete since 1/19? I'm starting to get anxious...

User avatar
kp009
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:56 am

Re: Emory 2010

Postby kp009 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:28 pm

Nat1018 wrote:Has anyone heard anything whose been complete since 1/19? I'm starting to get anxious...


Nothing yet.

lgreenbe
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:52 pm

Re: Emory 2010

Postby lgreenbe » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:29 pm

Nat1018 wrote:Has anyone heard anything whose been complete since 1/19? I'm starting to get anxious...



I've been complete since 1/11 and have heard nothing- I submittmed my app on 12/8 though.

Nat1018
Posts: 179
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:41 am

Re: Emory 2010

Postby Nat1018 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:34 pm

lgreenbe wrote:
Nat1018 wrote:Has anyone heard anything whose been complete since 1/19? I'm starting to get anxious...



I've been complete since 1/11 and have heard nothing- I submittmed my app on 12/8 though.



Hmm...thanks! hopefully we'll get some good news soon!

User avatar
entrechatsix
Posts: 229
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:05 am

Re: Emory 2010

Postby entrechatsix » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:42 pm

f0bolous wrote:woohoo! emailed them and got confirmation that I'm in! evidently my acceptance package got lost in the mail last month


omgosh that's insane! but congrats!!!!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: hopes&dreams, Lmorina126, mav1993, mecooper08, tinafeyclone, yuppitsme and 14 guests