Emory 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Veritas

Re: Emory 2010

Postby Veritas » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:02 pm

kp009 wrote:
Veritas wrote:can someone please recap the "1/19" email thing?

I've been complete since Nov, with no updates since then.

No news, just a bunch of us getting impatient after having gone complete less than a month ago :) We should probably shut up and sit down if you've been waiting since Nov.

ohhh haha, thanks.

I thought maybe a second email had gone out or something and I missed the boat. Good luck!

JMBrown32

Postby JMBrown32 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:32 pm

1/14 complete here. Doesn't seem to be too many of us. Getting pretty anxious to hear from them.

hotwater

Postby hotwater » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:34 pm

1/14 also. submitted in november. getting anxious, but also irritated.

Cale39

Postby Cale39 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:37 am

1/14 complete, submit on 12/30

no resposne

maximus34998

Postby maximus34998 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:08 pm

Accepted via snail mail, Sent 1/15; Complete 1/19; Letter Dated 2/5...

entrechatsix

Postby entrechatsix » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:19 am

maximus34998 wrote:Accepted via snail mail, Sent 1/15; Complete 1/19; Letter Dated 2/5...

congrats!

kp009

Postby kp009 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:12 am

maximus34998 wrote:Accepted via snail mail, Sent 1/15; Complete 1/19; Letter Dated 2/5...

Congrats! Hopefully more of the 1/14 and 1/19 completes will start getting news too!

TheBigMediocre

Postby TheBigMediocre » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:18 am

Still waiting as well...

I'm in at UGA with $$$, waiting on Emory and Vanderbilt still. If Emory gives me any $ they could be a huge contender. C'MON EMORY!

HungryHippo

Postby HungryHippo » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:38 am

hmmm I went complete 1/12

ryguy

Postby ryguy » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:15 am

Complete 1-19.

LSHPFL10

Postby LSHPFL10 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:56 am

Has anybody here sent Emory any supplemental materials, such as a LOCI or additional LoR? I know that they say in their 'complete' e-mail that they discourage any additional documents, but is this a hard and fast rule?

Thanks in advance.

LSHPFL10

Postby LSHPFL10 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:38 pm

LSHPFL10 wrote:Has anybody here sent Emory any supplemental materials, such as a LOCI or additional LoR? I know that they say in their 'complete' e-mail that they discourage any additional documents, but is this a hard and fast rule?

Thanks in advance.

Bump.

hhg

Postby hhg » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:44 pm

visited recently. they said that they are behind due to the paperless switch, but a wave should happen in a week or so and should continue for a few weeks, and scholly offers will come with the acceptance letters. people already admitted will get scholly offers soon too.

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:48 pm

hhg wrote:visited recently. they said that they are behind due to the paperless switch, but a wave should happen in a week or so and should continue for a few weeks, and scholly offers will come with the acceptance letters. people already admitted will get scholly offers soon too.

Nice update!! Thank you!

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:00 pm

hhg wrote:visited recently. they said that they are behind due to the paperless switch, but a wave should happen in a week or so and should continue for a few weeks, and scholly offers will come with the acceptance letters. people already admitted will get scholly offers soon too.

how was your visit? likey or no likey?

jayare

Postby jayare » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:01 pm

This seems to conflict with the Emory admissions staffer who's taking questions over in the Discuss Your Law School forum. He said:

Emory_Rob wrote:We expect most or all admission offices will be paperless in the next few years, but we are one of the first. With it being the first year, we are taking extra time to make sure that nothing gets lost along the way, so that does take extra time as well. However, the good news is that we are weeks ahead of where we were at this time last year.

Ahhhh what does it all mean?!

hhg

Postby hhg » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:39 pm

jayare wrote:

This seems to conflict with the Emory admissions staffer who's taking questions over in the Discuss Your Law School forum. He said:

Emory_Rob wrote:We expect most or all admission offices will be paperless in the next few years, but we are one of the first. With it being the first year, we are taking extra time to make sure that nothing gets lost along the way, so that does take extra time as well. However, the good news is that we are weeks ahead of where we were at this time last year.

i'm guessing they were fibbing because only a few people have been accepted so far this year when waves of acceptances had already gone out at this time last year.

the school was really nice - they had a beautiful library, classrooms, sitting areas, etc. i sat in on a property class - the prof was pretty good, he used a mix of socratic method & hand raising. i asked a few students how they thought he ranked in the spectrum of professors in their opinions and got very different answers. the tour guide mentioned that the clinics and journals had offices in a separate building (if i recall correctly). the ls is located a few buildings down from the hospital & visitor parking garage. leaving the law school and wandering the campus, it seemed pretty sheltered from the city even though it's downtown. the fitness center was a 12ish minute walk from the ls in high heels. i wasn't super impressed with the facility - it's big & clean, had an indoor track, climbing wall, racquetball courts, etc like most schools, but it didn't really feel like a 'community' that motivates you to come back. it is free for all students though. the university center housed the bookstore, eateries and some other things (i didn't wander around it too much). it was nice & pretty busy. it is located between the ls & fitness center, closer to the latter. i was told that there were several apartment complexes that run free buses to the campus, including their newest that was called the campus apartments at briarcliff that cost $550 per person for a 3 br furnished. but a lot of students live in midtown, the highlands, downtown, and some other areas. they talked about field placement programs (externships) that students become eligible for in the fall of their 2L year that includes companies like coca-cola & delta and also the court systems. i know a lot of this is proly in the prospectus, but i'm just writing all that stood out to me... hth!

nyyankees

Postby nyyankees » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:48 pm

hhg wrote:
jayare wrote:

i'm guessing they were fibbing because only a few people have been accepted so far this year when waves of acceptances had already gone out at this time last year.

the school was really nice - they had a beautiful library, classrooms, sitting areas, etc. i sat in on a property class - the prof was pretty good, he used a mix of socratic method & hand raising. i asked a few students how they thought he ranked in the spectrum of professors in their opinions and got very different answers. the tour guide mentioned that the clinics and journals had offices in a separate building (if i recall correctly). the ls is located a few buildings down from the hospital & visitor parking garage. leaving the law school and wandering the campus, it seemed pretty sheltered from the city even though it's downtown. the fitness center was a 12ish minute walk from the ls in high heels. i wasn't super impressed with the facility - it's big & clean, had an indoor track, climbing wall, racquetball courts, etc like most schools, but it didn't really feel like a 'community' that motivates you to come back. it is free for all students though. the university center housed the bookstore, eateries and some other things (i didn't wander around it too much). it was nice & pretty busy. it is located between the ls & fitness center, closer to the latter. i was told that there were several apartment complexes that run free buses to the campus, including their newest that was called the campus apartments at briarcliff that cost $550 per person for a 3 br furnished. but a lot of students live in midtown, the highlands, downtown, and some other areas. they talked about field placement programs (externships) that students become eligible for in the fall of their 2L year that includes companies like coca-cola & delta and also the court systems. i know a lot of this is proly in the prospectus, but i'm just writing all that stood out to me... hth!

thanks hhg! youve been really helpful

hhg

Postby hhg » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:58 pm

you're welcome! :D

one more thing - they said that apps are about what they were last year at the same time, but the deadline is 1 mar so things could change. they expect a record year, but they didn't make it sound like apps were up a significant amount over ly.

acstas87

Postby acstas87 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:39 pm

TheBigMediocre wrote:Still waiting as well...

I'm in at UGA with $$$, waiting on Emory and Vanderbilt still. If Emory gives me any $ they could be a huge contender. C'MON EMORY!

I'm in a similar situation.
UGA, Wake and especially W&L offered up money but if Emory or Vandy came through I'd really have a tough decision.

Decent shot with Emory, more of a stretch with Vandy.

forty-two

Postby forty-two » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:45 am

Yay...I think I'm going to start hanging out with my mailbox even more now. I really hope the scholarships are similar to those offered last year.

*crosses fingers*

Also, does anyone know if we have to submit anything other than the FAFSA to Emory?

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:10 am

hhg wrote:
jayare wrote:

youre a girl??? :shock:

hhg

Postby hhg » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:44 am

chicoalto0649 wrote:youre a girl??? :shock:

haha... yes.

maximus34998

Postby maximus34998 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:24 pm

So, who on this thread is leaning toward Emory right now? And where else are you considering? For me, if the $$$ offer is decent at all, I'll be there in the fall.

pearl_earrings

Postby pearl_earrings » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:32 pm

maximus34998 wrote:So, who on this thread is leaning toward Emory right now? And where else are you considering? For me, if the $$$ offer is decent at all, I'll be there in the fall.

I have yet to visit, but if they offer me a good scholarship it will definitely be a top contender. Location is going to play a role in my decision, and I like the south.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”