Emory 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Fergie

New

Re: Emory 2010

Post by Fergie » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:59 pm

also dinged - and wrote a LOCI. oh well

waitingfor1L

New

Post by waitingfor1L » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:00 pm

Did they send a wave all at the same time?

nonamebreakdown

New

Post by nonamebreakdown » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:12 pm

dinged. no loci.

Matteliszt

Silver

Post by Matteliszt » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:17 pm

I did an LOCI/had an LOR/visited and got the email. Sounds like they filled the class?

Mich33

New

Post by Mich33 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:12 pm

I'm on the waitlist and didn't receive that e-mail...yet. My LSAT is pretty low for them but my GPA might be keeping me in the game. (163, 3.94....my numbers in my profile are a little fudged) I haven't sent in a LOCI but I definitely need to. Is e-mailing acceptable?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

txhorn

Bronze

Post by txhorn » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:01 pm

I survived the chop today

txhorn

Bronze

Post by txhorn » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:03 pm

We have completed our review of responses after the tuition deposit deadline of April 15. At this point, we do not anticipate making any additional admission offers from the wait list until June when our second tuition deposit deadline passes.
Did anyone get WL, admitted today. It seems all on LSN and here are WL, reject.

nowinGA

Bronze

Post by nowinGA » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:16 pm

I just got an update re: Wait List candidates. Just general info and stating that no more decisions will be made until after the second deposit in June. Also states that there is no more merit based aid, what to do with additional materials, etc. I don't really have plans to go there at this point and will likely withdraw...but nice to make it through the chop today!

yellowfin

New

Post by yellowfin » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:17 pm

WL, dinged. Theme of the day.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

waitingfor1L

New

Post by waitingfor1L » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:14 am

txhorn wrote:
We have completed our review of responses after the tuition deposit deadline of April 15. At this point, we do not anticipate making any additional admission offers from the wait list until June when our second tuition deposit deadline passes.

Very interested to know this also... the first email it seemed like they were planning on making offers starting in late April but maybe they have enough enrolled already? It seems like a lot this year are double depositing.

Pressenda

New

Post by Pressenda » Sun May 02, 2010 11:40 pm

Hey sorry I haven't been keeping up with this thread. I got the email saying that they weren't offering anymore spots until the next seat deposit in June...but it seems like there was a separate email that rejected some previously WL'ed people? Is anyone still realistically waiting for Emory or have the WL'ed people already committed elsewhere?

txhorn

Bronze

Post by txhorn » Sun May 02, 2010 11:54 pm

waitingfor1L wrote:
txhorn wrote:

Very interested to know this also... the first email it seemed like they were planning on making offers starting in late April but maybe they have enough enrolled already? It seems like a lot this year are double depositing.
From LSN last year, I don't think they're making decisions any earlier or later this time around. To me it seems that they waitlisted initially en masse. The people WL were either URM with low GPA and LSAT or others with GPA above median. I also feel they blindly accepted and gave money to any 166+. That's what is apparent given the LSN graph. Thus, they received deposits from whomever bit and they'll just use the WL to tidy up the GPA. They told me that they are going to start "re"-reviewing those remaining on the waitlist throughout May and deciding on them in June; not different from the decision date off WL last year from LSN.

MissLucky

Silver

Post by MissLucky » Mon May 03, 2010 12:22 am

So their e-mail update to us WLers states:
"Additional materials: You may submit two additional documents—a continuing statement of interest AND one letter of recommendation. Both should be submitted electronically at admission@law.emory.edu. Do not send any other information."

I already sent an initial LOCI a week after I was put on the WL...am I really not allowed to send another one in???

Thnx

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rapstar

Bronze

Post by rapstar » Tue May 04, 2010 5:02 pm

-
>
-
Did anyone on TLS recieve a WOODRUFF SCHOLARSHIP this year? There aren't any posted on LSN, so I'm just curious if Emory actually awarded any. I was told by an admissions officer that they were going to pick 12 finalists and issue 4 scholarships. I haven't heard of any finalists at all though. I think that it was a Woodruff Hoax this year .... :cry:
-
>
-
Anyone???

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Wed May 05, 2010 3:00 am

WLed here, no ding email received. Sent a LOCI but no rec. Update email sent saying no movement til june. Glad to not be dinged but still lame :(

Nat1018

Bronze

Post by Nat1018 » Wed May 05, 2010 3:19 am

Do all the Wl'ed people think Emory is worth sticker? I'm just wondering if by some miracle I get off the waitlist, if I'm willing to pay.

txhorn

Bronze

Post by txhorn » Wed May 05, 2010 5:31 am

Nat1018 wrote:Do all the Wl'ed people think Emory is worth sticker? I'm just wondering if by some miracle I get off the waitlist, if I'm willing to pay.
No.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TheBigMediocre

Silver

Post by TheBigMediocre » Wed May 05, 2010 5:54 am

rapstar wrote:-
>
-
Did anyone on TLS recieve a WOODRUFF SCHOLARSHIP this year? There aren't any posted on LSN, so I'm just curious if Emory actually awarded any. I was told by an admissions officer that they were going to pick 12 finalists and issue 4 scholarships. I haven't heard of any finalists at all though. I think that it was a Woodruff Hoax this year .... :cry:
-
>
-
Anyone???
Since I didn't want to pay to go to both Emory and UGA's ASWs I took my visit to Emory while I was in GA for UGA's ASW. That day they also had the woodruff finalist kids there. I just don't think any of them are TLSers.

ze2151

Bronze

Post by ze2151 » Wed May 05, 2010 10:18 am

i got a woodruff. there were 4 awarded from a pool of about 12 tremendously awesome applicants. seriously, i was amazed by all the folks i met, and all the current students also.

MissLucky

Silver

Post by MissLucky » Wed May 05, 2010 10:20 am

ze2151 wrote:i got a woodruff. there were 4 awarded from a pool of about 12 tremendously awesome applicants. seriously, i was amazed by all the folks i met, and all the current students also.
out of curioisity, what was so amazing about them?

ze2151

Bronze

Post by ze2151 » Wed May 05, 2010 10:36 am

do you mean the applicants or the current students?

the applicants- probably every one of them has gone through his/her academic career as the smartest person in the room, but every last one of them was a humble, approachable, normal human being. that is a rare combination in my opinion. each applicant was able to make a potentially (very) awkward and competitive situation fun. and there was such a diversity of goals and interests among us. i truly hope every one of them picked emory ultimately (but i'm sure not all of them will come here. all of them had acceptances with $ in hand from multiple t-14s).

the current students- i want to put to rest a rumor on TLS that emory students are bitter carpetbaggers who settled for their school while wishing they could have gotten in somewhere more highly ranked. not true, not at all. every student i met, every last one, seemed to me to be completely pleased with his/her choice and with the culture of the school. it's law school, so i'm sure there are a few bitter folks running around. but it wasn't my experience, and i can't wait to join them in the fall. it's fair to say emory probably put its best foot forward for us. but i visited the school twice and my impression was the same each time. if you're going to emory in the fall, get excited.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

krzyreeesh

New

Post by krzyreeesh » Wed May 05, 2010 11:12 am

Thanks for the positive words. Despite my optimistic outlook on life, the tidal wave of negativity on TLS is often contagious. As a WL'd applicant who'd do pretty much anything to get in (and for the loads of other Emory admits/hopefuls), the positivity is certainly appreciated.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu May 06, 2010 4:07 pm

Visited the campus today, took a tour of the law school.

LOVE

definitely laid to rest any doubts I had about attending

mattyboy7we

New

Post by mattyboy7we » Thu May 06, 2010 5:05 pm

ze2151 wrote:do you mean the applicants or the current students?

the applicants- probably every one of them has gone through his/her academic career as the smartest person in the room, but every last one of them was a humble, approachable, normal human being. that is a rare combination in my opinion. each applicant was able to make a potentially (very) awkward and competitive situation fun. and there was such a diversity of goals and interests among us. i truly hope every one of them picked emory ultimately (but i'm sure not all of them will come here. all of them had acceptances with $ in hand from multiple t-14s).

the current students- i want to put to rest a rumor on TLS that emory students are bitter carpetbaggers who settled for their school while wishing they could have gotten in somewhere more highly ranked. not true, not at all. every student i met, every last one, seemed to me to be completely pleased with his/her choice and with the culture of the school. it's law school, so i'm sure there are a few bitter folks running around. but it wasn't my experience, and i can't wait to join them in the fall. it's fair to say emory probably put its best foot forward for us. but i visited the school twice and my impression was the same each time. if you're going to emory in the fall, get excited.
Glad you liked Emory. Just keep in mind that compared to other schools emory isn't well represented here on TLS, because most of us don't really care what the TLS community thinks. It's always better to ask someone who goes to the school then listen to others who have no idea what Emory is about other than citing employment stats and LSAT medians.
Look forward to seeing everyone here next fall.

Pressenda

New

Post by Pressenda » Thu May 06, 2010 5:24 pm

Just wrote a LOCI....hope it helps.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”