Emory 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ze2151

Re: Emory 2010

Postby ze2151 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:44 pm

andrea0605 wrote:
ze2151 wrote:it warms my heart to know future classmates like arrested development. solid as iraq!

When the 3L tour guide showed my group the mock trial room on visiting day, I started humming "mock trial with judge reinhold." :oops:

MY NAME IS JUDGE! Franklin is one of my favorite characters.

hotlantan

Postby hotlantan » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:17 am

Fins wrote:K&S Partner: "Emory is for the kids too proud to go to UGA and not smart enough to go to Vandy."

K&S is for the kids too proud to go to Sutherland and not smart enough to go to Jones Day.

(EGREGIOUSLY unsubtle UGA trolling, by the way.)

zreinhar

Postby zreinhar » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:06 pm

Ben2010 wrote:What would you do if your choice was Emory (1/2 scholarship) vs. GA State (they'd be paying me to go)?

And if the answer is Emory (which I probably think it is), how does one convince their debt-obsessed parents that Emory is worth 60K+ more?

I realize this was quoted a few pages ago, but am in a situation similair but with important differneces. I want to work in ATL hands down. But I have an eng job making good money and obviously would be going into IP. I was WL at Emory and am probably pretty far down, so this is probably moot, but given that Im going part time that way I still have a job and get some good W/E, what do you think, should I get in to Emory, I should do?

rando

Postby rando » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:21 pm

zreinhar wrote:
Ben2010 wrote:What would you do if your choice was Emory (1/2 scholarship) vs. GA State (they'd be paying me to go)?

And if the answer is Emory (which I probably think it is), how does one convince their debt-obsessed parents that Emory is worth 60K+ more?

I realize this was quoted a few pages ago, but am in a situation similair but with important differneces. I want to work in ATL hands down. But I have an eng job making good money and obviously would be going into IP. I was WL at Emory and am probably pretty far down, so this is probably moot, but given that Im going part time that way I still have a job and get some good W/E, what do you think, should I get in to Emory, I should do?

That is indeed a tough decision. Your long term job prospects will be astronomically higher at Emory. But debt is a concern, obviously. Add into it that you want to work part time.

If your question basically amounts to whether your work experience will counterbalance Emory vs. GST; it won't. That work is really not going to go a long way for your future legal employment, but it will obviously be beneficial in paying for school. You need to decide what is most important to you long term. If it is job prospects hands down, then you have to go to Emory off the waitlist. If it is just to be a lawyer, any lawyer, with the least amount of debt, then GST is the correct choice.

zreinhar

Postby zreinhar » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:26 pm

rando wrote:
zreinhar wrote:

That is indeed a tough decision. Your long term job prospects will be astronomically higher at Emory. But debt is a concern, obviously. Add into it that you want to work part time.

If your question basically amounts to whether your work experience will counterbalance Emory vs. GST; it won't. That work is really not going to go a long way for your future legal employment, but it will obviously be beneficial in paying for school. You need to decide what is most important to you long term. If it is job prospects hands down, then you have to go to Emory off the waitlist. If it is just to be a lawyer, any lawyer, with the least amount of debt, then GST is the correct choice.

As an aside, the eng job is full time, at GE, so a pretty good company. Im also working part time at a bio-tech as an IP consultant (have IP W/E too, but intersnhip tuff while in undergrad) Also, do you think the potential for me to work as a patent agent while at GSU will counteract its joblessness? Laslty, my current plan is to go to GSU for two years part time while completing the equivalent of my 1L, then, if Im in a pos. to transfer, transfer to Emory? (while saving up as much as possible at my eng/IP job?)

rando

Postby rando » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:40 pm

zreinhar wrote:
As an aside, the eng job is full time, at GE, so a pretty good company. Im also working part time at a bio-tech as an IP consultant (have IP W/E too, but intersnhip tuff while in undergrad) Also, do you think the potential for me to work as a patent agent while at GSU will counteract its joblessness? Laslty, my current plan is to go to GSU for two years part time while completing the equivalent of my 1L, then, if Im in a pos. to transfer, transfer to Emory? (while saving up as much as possible at my eng/IP job?)

Nothing outside of nepotism will counteract GSU v Emory. That being said, the things you mentioned will go a long way once you get an interview etc. But unless you are in the top few people in your GSU class, those interviews will not occur.

As far as transferring goes, I think it is great if you don't get into Emory at all. But don't turn down an offer to do so. But I don't think you would have to do miraculously well at GSU to get an Emory transfer acceptance. As in top few students, maybe top 10-15-20% I really don't know.

Also, if you can get in, the Ti:Ger program sounds right up your alley. There are a ton of IP people here and it sounds like you would fit in very well.

zreinhar

Postby zreinhar » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:56 pm

rando wrote:
zreinhar wrote:

Nothing outside of nepotism will counteract GSU v Emory. That being said, the things you mentioned will go a long way once you get an interview etc. But unless you are in the top few people in your GSU class, those interviews will not occur.

As far as transferring goes, I think it is great if you don't get into Emory at all. But don't turn down an offer to do so. But I don't think you would have to do miraculously well at GSU to get an Emory transfer acceptance. As in top few students, maybe top 10-15-20% I really don't know.

Also, if you can get in, the Ti:Ger program sounds right up your alley. There are a ton of IP people here and it sounds like you would fit in very well.

Yeah, I practically fellated the TI:GER program and its director, with words of course, in my PS and LOCI, she really liked my resume and credentials (in EE and Bio-tech IP) and pretty much said if I have stellar grades from GSU that she'll try and save me a spot for when I could come on at Emory.

I don't know if its me being stupid on a Sunday, but what do you mean by "As far as transferring goes, I think it is great if you don't get into Emory at all. But don't turn down an offer to do so." ? I think the primary reason they Wl me was because of my GPA (>75th) and the fact Im in Atlanta and could still attend should I get accepted in Late August...

rando

Postby rando » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:08 pm

zreinhar wrote:
rando wrote:
zreinhar wrote:

Yeah, I practically fellated the TI:GER program and its director, with words of course, in my PS and LOCI, she really liked my resume and credentials (in EE and Bio-tech IP) and pretty much said if I have stellar grades from GSU that she'll try and save me a spot for when I could come on at Emory.

I don't know if its me being stupid on a Sunday, but what do you mean by "As far as transferring goes, I think it is great if you don't get into Emory at all. But don't turn down an offer to do so." ? I think the primary reason they Wl me was because of my GPA (>75th) and the fact Im in Atlanta and could still attend should I get accepted in Late August...

Some people think they can get transfer scholarships if they do well enough at their initial institution. From your previous posts it seemed like you weren't sure on whether to come off the waitlist but you might transfer. Also considering you are thinking about working for a couple years, then transferring... I am saying, if you get off the waitlist, don't turn down the admission officer and transfer one or two years down the road.

inalilwhile

Postby inalilwhile » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:32 am

Anyone have any sort of idea how many people are wait listed? Emory says the applicant pool is small enough for them to be familiar with each WL candidate.. but that could be a whole range of numbers. And when do most WLers find out if they're in or not?

Also the Emory faq said that the WL isn't ranked, but a comment earlier about 'being far down on the wait list' made it seem like it was.. any insight?

mattyboy7we

Postby mattyboy7we » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:54 pm

inalilwhile wrote:Anyone have any sort of idea how many people are wait listed? Emory says the applicant pool is small enough for them to be familiar with each WL candidate.. but that could be a whole range of numbers. And when do most WLers find out if they're in or not?

Also the Emory faq said that the WL isn't ranked, but a comment earlier about 'being far down on the wait list' made it seem like it was.. any insight?

They go through and re-evaluate all the people on the wait list, giving everyone an equal chance in theory. However, not sure whether it matters if the open spot was from a specific type of person (URM,person with a scholarship ect.).

I personally don't know anyone who got in off the wait list...

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:40 pm

I know a current 1L that got in off the WL very late in the summer. Emory UG alumnus. He was headed to his lower T1 state school before getting in, so that gives you an idea about numbers I guess. So it is possible. HTH.

zreinhar

Postby zreinhar » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:50 pm

that was me who posted about being far down the list. It was an imaginary list, I said that because my LSAT is very low for Emory, a 162, their median this year was a 165, and I spoke with the AD (rosenzweig) and he said they were looking for a 166 median next year. However, there are a few good things to my WL, I stopped by a few weeks ago and spoke with him for a while about Emory, its direction and the TI:GER program, as well as my interest in IP law. I also wanted to put a face with my name (but really my numbers) and cause I got a pretty sweet job which I started today, so it was a big upgrade to my resume. The lower T1 im going to is actually an (upper?) T2, but we'll see what happens. In the mean time I'll be savin up some dough at the new gig

lawduder

Postby lawduder » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:54 pm

The median LSAT for the class of 2012 is actually 166 (165/166/167). Did it go down this year?

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:56 pm

So how many of you guys are in the facebook group?

eldizknee

Postby eldizknee » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:57 pm

Last edited by eldizknee on Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawduder

Postby lawduder » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:58 pm

eldizknee wrote:
adh07d wrote:So how many of you guys are in the facebook group?

I am

I am too.

electricfeel

Postby electricfeel » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:02 pm

lawduder wrote:
eldizknee wrote:
adh07d wrote:So how many of you guys are in the facebook group?

I am

I am too.

Same Here

eldizknee

Postby eldizknee » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:07 pm

Last edited by eldizknee on Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zreinhar

Postby zreinhar » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:31 pm

lawduder wrote:The median LSAT for the class of 2012 is actually 166 (165/166/167). Did it go down this year?

My bad, typo, +1 to both scores I quoted...

afinnst

Postby afinnst » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:54 pm

What are people's thoughts on post briarcliff, gables rocksprings, gables sheridan, and clairmont reserve? Are there other places I should be looking at for a 1 BR reasonably priced near other law students?

Tweek

Postby Tweek » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:55 am

Waitlist ---> Ding just now via email. Did not send a LOCI since I've become disenchanted with Atlanta from living here a few months. Good luck to all still waiting!

nol607

Postby nol607 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:55 am

I just got that too! I've never heard of that!

txhorn

Postby txhorn » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:43 pm

Do you guys think it had to do with not completing a LOCI?

ms.ballerina

Postby ms.ballerina » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:51 pm

Waitlist then dinged as well... didn't send a LOCI either but my numbers are kind of low for this cycle it seems.

nol607

Postby nol607 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:53 pm

txhorn wrote:Do you guys think it had to do with not completing a LOCI?

No, not for me. I wrote a solid LOCI and even had a targeted recommendation for Emory. I had a 163 LSAT though, which seems very low for Emory this cycle; but for my Emory enthusiasm, I'm sure I would have been outright rejected. I wasn't planning on waiting it out for more than another month, and knew it was very unlikely, so I'm ok with it. Cardozo 2013!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”