Emory 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
leraa6587

Re: Emory 2010

Postby leraa6587 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:17 am

rando wrote:All the Gables properties will be good barring Gables Montclair. and that is just because of the ridiculous undergrad population

My advice - venture outside of the apartment complexes and find something way cheaper and with a bit more personality. Worked out very well for me.

+ 1. I know of a 2br cottage within eyesight of the law school (It's about the same distance as the parking garage) for $1200/month. I took the one next door, so if you are fun I'll give you the info :wink:

hhg

Postby hhg » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:28 am

anniesaysrelax wrote:
hhg wrote:i just signed a lease at clairmont reserve for a rent in the mid-800s (1 bed 1 bath)... i think it's pretty ideal - it's right across from the clairmont campus of emory where you can take a bus straight to the law school, its a really nice apartment complex, and i've heard nothing but positive things from other students.....

When are you moving in? I really want to get the whole living situation squared away, but figured it would be too early to sign a lease for August 1st.

beginning of august. most apartments are on a 60 day notice, so the communities are already starting to figure out what will be available. most communities have a waitlist & they let people off of it as they find out about availabilities.

leraa6587

Postby leraa6587 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:30 am

hhg wrote:
anniesaysrelax wrote:
hhg wrote:i just signed a lease at clairmont reserve for a rent in the mid-800s (1 bed 1 bath)... i think it's pretty ideal - it's right across from the clairmont campus of emory where you can take a bus straight to the law school, its a really nice apartment complex, and i've heard nothing but positive things from other students.....

When are you moving in? I really want to get the whole living situation squared away, but figured it would be too early to sign a lease for August 1st.

beginning of august. most apartments are on a 60 day notice, so the communities are already starting to figure out what will be available. most communities have a waitlist & they let people off of it as they find out about availabilities.

Everyone I know is signing this week, after the ASD last Saturday when they had a chance to look. My advice, the earlier the better since the good apartments seem to fill up fast. Or, take your chance on waiting to lease a condo/ house/ cottage from someone as they become available.

electricfeel

Postby electricfeel » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:14 pm

Last edited by electricfeel on Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mudbug25

Postby mudbug25 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:05 pm

Just made the final decision to attend Emory next fall.... Could not be more pumped about this, Atlanta is legit and the scholly $$ makes this an easy choice in the end. Congrats to all who will be there with me in August.

jman77

Postby jman77 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:36 pm

Will be withdrawing tonight (regretably), putting $54K back in the pot. Just could not justify taking less money to go to a lower ranked school with just about the same job prospects as my top options.

Good luck all!

eldizknee

Postby eldizknee » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:52 pm

Last edited by eldizknee on Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

eldizknee

Postby eldizknee » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:53 pm

Last edited by eldizknee on Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

afinnst

Postby afinnst » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:07 pm

I'm looking for a room mate and housing for next year. Any ideas on how to go about this?? Anyone planning on living with other 1Ls?

leraa6587

Postby leraa6587 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:15 pm

I didn't get a chance to look at this one but it sounded great.

http://apps.facebook.com/marketplace/view/-/1877003777/

afinnst

Postby afinnst » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:56 pm

Are most people living alone or with a room mate?

anniesaysrelax

Postby anniesaysrelax » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:33 pm

afinnst wrote:Are most people living alone or with a room mate?

I'm currently planning to live alone. I just don't want the added stress that a bad roommate may bring.

eldizknee

Postby eldizknee » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:08 am

Last edited by eldizknee on Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

WSpar

Postby WSpar » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:11 am

I'm looking for a roommate or two to live with. Send me a message if you're interested.

sebastian0622

Postby sebastian0622 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:36 am

Will withdraw tomorrow, freeing up a $60k scholarship. Got a full ride from somewhere else--actually the school ranked immediately below Emory in the new rankings. Emory did everything right with my app, and I love Atlanta. The ASW was a positive experience, and I think their offer was fair. The full ride from a peer was unexpected (I think Emory and this other school really respected my softs, which was refreshing to see). I just can't justify paying half-tuition and living expenses at Emory and graduating with close to $100k in debt versus graduating from a top 25-30 school with zero debt.

I think those people who go to Emory are in for a special experience in a wonderful, vibrant city with a strong legal market. No hard feelings here. I think Emory Law is going places. Best of luck to all of you.

mavsman88

Postby mavsman88 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:59 am

Can someone who paid for the online subscription copy and paste what USNWR says about Emory in depth? Thanks!

Also, side note, I signed my lease at Campus Crossing. I know a lot of people on here have been saying beware, but I really liked it. They had a pipe burst, it happens, and they fixed the problem. The place was super nice, and the others I visited had a lot of non-Emory students, which was kind of a turn off, especially since I'm coming from a college town.

lawduder

Postby lawduder » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:48 am

mavsman88 wrote:Also, side note, I signed my lease at Campus Crossing. I know a lot of people on here have been saying beware, but I really liked it. They had a pipe burst, it happens, and they fixed the problem. The place was super nice, and the others I visited had a lot of non-Emory students, which was kind of a turn off, especially since I'm coming from a college town.

I signed with Campus Crossings as well. I visited all the places posted here and in the "class of" thread and none of them seemed like great deals. It's important for me to have the cliff shuttle close so I don't have to pay $700/semester to park on campus and having a furnished apartment makes the move stress free. I really didn't want to have to pay to buy all new furniture (moving my old stuff would cost about the same amount of money, too). That being said, I also actually liked Campus Crossings better than the other places I visited.

rando

Postby rando » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:53 am

lawduder wrote:
mavsman88 wrote:Also, side note, I signed my lease at Campus Crossing. I know a lot of people on here have been saying beware, but I really liked it. They had a pipe burst, it happens, and they fixed the problem. The place was super nice, and the others I visited had a lot of non-Emory students, which was kind of a turn off, especially since I'm coming from a college town.

I signed with Campus Crossings as well. I visited all the places posted here and in the "class of" thread and none of them seemed like great deals. It's important for me to have the cliff shuttle close so I don't have to pay $700/semester to park on campus and having a furnished apartment makes the move stress free. I really didn't want to have to pay to buy all new furniture (moving my old stuff would cost about the same amount of money, too). That being said, I also actually liked Campus Crossings better than the other places I visited.

I have only really heard of two problems with Campus Crossings and both seem to be resolved. The first was an administrative hiccup the first week that the building was up and running and that the bus schedules didn't coincide with class schedules and there weren't enough buses to the law school. That was a minor nightmare for people the first week of school, but easily attributed to everything being brand new and working out the details.
The other was the flooding. It doesn't seem to me like pipes should be bursting but we did have a ton of rain. It was a major issue for some people but from what I understand the company that runs the place did right by those that had damage and had to live in hotels for a little while.

I have only heard good things barring those two mini-disasters. If I was moving in this year I would be weary and make sure to dot my i's and cross my t's but would have no problem living there.

dk84

Postby dk84 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:47 am

Out for the count. Just can't justify that kind of debt in an unstable legal world. Emory has too many reports of not worth cost of the degree. You can't bet on being #1, can't bet on jobs being back like it was... so I'm taking my free ride. Enjoy HOT (grossly humid) lanta

UFMatt

Postby UFMatt » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:49 am

dk84 wrote:Out for the count. Just can't justify that kind of debt in an unstable legal world. Emory has too many reports of not worth cost of the degree. You can't bet on being #1, can't bet on jobs being back like it was... so I'm taking my free ride. Enjoy HOT (grossly humid) lanta

A person has to know their limitations. The rest of us will be enjoying Emory.

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:50 am

To withdraw from Emory, do I send an email? I know some schools have online forms, but I couldn't find one.

Thanks.

maximus34998

Postby maximus34998 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:53 am

lawduder wrote:

Are either of you guys going to be paying for parking at CC? I heard that they ran out of parking last year, so I was kind of curious about that situation. Also, can you request roommates at CC? I'd think it would be nice to live with another 1L as opposed to a student from another Grad School, etc.

Fins

Postby Fins » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:07 am

K&S Partner: "Emory is for the kids too proud to go to UGA and not smart enough to go to Vandy."

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:19 am

Just withdrew from Emory with $81,000 scholarship. I hope the spot and money can go to someone on here!

rando

Postby rando » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:21 am

Fins wrote:K&S Partner: "Emory is for the kids too proud to go to UGA and not smart enough to go to Vandy."

Do you feel better about yourself now?

The funny thing is how ridiculous that quotation is. Apparently "K&S partner" doesn't realize how many people at Emory turned down Vandy. Nor does he/she realize that Athens isn't exactly the most apt place to be a law student. But then again, K&S partner probably doesn't exist so this is a moot point.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”