Emory 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
electricfeel
Posts: 101
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: Emory 2010

Postby electricfeel » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:32 pm

.
Last edited by electricfeel on Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cr073137
Posts: 233
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:14 pm

Re: Emory 2010

Postby cr073137 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:39 pm

electricfeel wrote:Emory or UNC (out of state) both at sticker??? Their employment stats seems almost identical, with the slight edge to UNC (more employed 9 months out of graduation). UNC is around 20k a year cheaper. PLEASE HELP!! IM STUCK!!


Depends where you want to work, UNC if NC Emory if GA

rando
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: Emory 2010

Postby rando » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:47 pm

cr073137 wrote:
electricfeel wrote:Emory or UNC (out of state) both at sticker??? Their employment stats seems almost identical, with the slight edge to UNC (more employed 9 months out of graduation). UNC is around 20k a year cheaper. PLEASE HELP!! IM STUCK!!


Depends where you want to work, UNC if NC Emory if GA


UNC if NC, Emory if anywhere else

User avatar
electricfeel
Posts: 101
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: Emory 2010

Postby electricfeel » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:21 pm

.
Last edited by electricfeel on Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

forty-two
Posts: 433
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:33 am

Re: Emory 2010

Postby forty-two » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:38 pm

electricfeel wrote:
rando wrote:
cr073137 wrote:
electricfeel wrote:Emory or UNC (out of state) both at sticker??? Their employment stats seems almost identical, with the slight edge to UNC (more employed 9 months out of graduation). UNC is around 20k a year cheaper. PLEASE HELP!! IM STUCK!!


Depends where you want to work, UNC if NC Emory if GA


UNC if NC, Emory if anywhere else


But don't you guys believe $68,000 a year of debt is unbearable? I'm pretty debt averse.


From everyone I've talked to, it really shouldn't cost that much to live in Atlanta...the school kind of overestimates expenses.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Emory 2010

Postby Grizz » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:44 pm

rando wrote:
cr073137 wrote:
electricfeel wrote:Emory or UNC (out of state) both at sticker??? Their employment stats seems almost identical, with the slight edge to UNC (more employed 9 months out of graduation). UNC is around 20k a year cheaper. PLEASE HELP!! IM STUCK!!


Depends where you want to work, UNC if NC Emory if GA


UNC if NC, Emory if anywhere else

User avatar
electricfeel
Posts: 101
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: Emory 2010

Postby electricfeel » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:11 pm

.
Last edited by electricfeel on Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eldizknee
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:33 pm

Re: Emory 2010

Postby eldizknee » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:16 pm

.
Last edited by eldizknee on Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

autao
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:20 pm

Re: Emory 2010

Postby autao » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:20 pm

I have to make my final decision by Friday![/quote]

And just to help you avoid a horrible mistake if you run this decision down to the wire. The 15th is actually on Thursday which is Emory's deposit deadline. I also agree that Emory greatly inflated its cost of living. If you decide you might want to go to Emory maybe consider a roommate to help with the difference in cost.

User avatar
gobucks101
Posts: 1435
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Emory 2010

Postby gobucks101 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:42 pm

eldizknee wrote:
electricfeel wrote: Emory has the prestige to a degree but i'm not sure that it is worth 60,000 over three years plus interest. Tell me if you see any holes in the statistics. I have to make my final decision by Friday!

UNC has only 68% of graduates reporting employment stats.



There's your hole. I believe Emory's report rate was in the high 90's. The 30% of the UNC class not reporting most likely had low salaries or none.



Also take note that you are comparing UNC 2008 versus Emory 2009. The class of 2009 got hit worse. 84% reporting being employed at Emory isn't the most comforting but all things considered isn't that bad. It certainly is more comforting than only 68% reporting during 2008 at UNC.

And to anyone interested- http://www.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/04/12/s ... tml?hpt=C2

Schapiro is amazing

User avatar
electricfeel
Posts: 101
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: Emory 2010

Postby electricfeel » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:13 pm

.
Last edited by electricfeel on Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
cendien
Posts: 150
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:24 am

Re: Emory 2010

Postby cendien » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:50 pm

electricfeel wrote:Thanks guys. Decided on Emory today. Talked to career services and i was told their employment stats constitute 98% of all graduates reporting. This makes a big difference on the reliability of #'s. Though that is not all that matters.


I think I'm about to do the same thing. I just don't have any very good reasons against Emory, whereas I can think of a few for my other options.

ze2151
Posts: 358
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:51 pm

Re: Emory 2010

Postby ze2151 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:32 pm

congrats and welcome!!!

Ben2010
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:28 pm

Re: Emory 2010

Postby Ben2010 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:12 pm

What would you do if your choice was Emory (1/2 scholarship) vs. GA State (they'd be paying me to go)?

And if the answer is Emory (which I probably think it is), how does one convince their debt-obsessed parents that Emory is worth 60K+ more?

eldizknee
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:33 pm

Re: Emory 2010

Postby eldizknee » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:17 pm

.
Last edited by eldizknee on Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rando
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: Emory 2010

Postby rando » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:24 pm

Ben2010 wrote:What would you do if your choice was Emory (1/2 scholarship) vs. GA State (they'd be paying me to go)?

And if the answer is Emory (which I probably think it is), how does one convince their debt-obsessed parents that Emory is worth 60K+ more?


Georgia State is worth basically nothing right now. I know the guy who is #2 in his 3L class there. He is JUST found a job in a midlaw firm. I don't know if he screwed up OCI or what, but that is crazy. There is zero question here. None.

leraa6587
Posts: 132
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:20 pm

Re: Emory 2010

Postby leraa6587 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:25 pm

rando wrote:
Ben2010 wrote:What would you do if your choice was Emory (1/2 scholarship) vs. GA State (they'd be paying me to go)?

And if the answer is Emory (which I probably think it is), how does one convince their debt-obsessed parents that Emory is worth 60K+ more?


Georgia State is worth basically nothing right now. I know the guy who is #2 in his 3L class there. He is JUST found a job in a midlaw firm. I don't know if he screwed up OCI or what, but that is crazy. There is zero question here. None.



+1 unless you hate yourself

leraa6587
Posts: 132
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:20 pm

Re: Emory 2010

Postby leraa6587 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:04 am

Apartment rundown- posted in other Emory thread as well

Places I would live:
Calibre Woods ($1039 or $1079 for 2 br, 1br are about $30 less), Highland Square ($1180 for 2br, most luxurious), Archstone Decatur Crossing (further, but newest and nicest, $980= smaller of 2br models, $960= 1br), in that order.

Places I would refuse to live in:
The Cliffton (same layout, more $$ and worse location than Calibre Woods- dif. companies), Post Briarcliff (overpriced, UGs), Gables Montclair (party place- random shoes in hallway and other indicators), The Clarion (poor location, crowded, etc.), and Highland Lakes (terrible construction, lots of UG's)

forty-two
Posts: 433
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:33 am

Re: Emory 2010

Postby forty-two » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:02 am

leraa6587 wrote:Apartment rundown- posted in other Emory thread as well

Places I would live:
Calibre Woods ($1039 or $1079 for 2 br, 1br are about $30 less), Highland Square ($1180 for 2br, most luxurious), Archstone Decatur Crossing (further, but newest and nicest, $980= smaller of 2br models, $960= 1br), in that order.

Places I would refuse to live in:
The Cliffton (same layout, more $$ and worse location than Calibre Woods- dif. companies), Post Briarcliff (overpriced, UGs), Gables Montclair (party place- random shoes in hallway and other indicators), The Clarion (poor location, crowded, etc.), and Highland Lakes (terrible construction, lots of UG's)


Really? I was told that Post was mostly grad students. Also, their apartments are pretty cheap. It costs about $975 for a 2br 1 bath and about 1050 square ft, around $1075 for a 2 br 2 bath and around 1150 square feet, and $1150ish for a 2 br 2 bath and about 1250 square feet. Please let me know if I'm wrong though.

Thanks for all the great info though. The price comparisons are great!

User avatar
hhg
Posts: 169
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:32 pm

Re: Emory 2010

Postby hhg » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:44 am

i just signed a lease at clairmont reserve for a rent in the mid-800s (1 bed 1 bath)... i think it's pretty ideal - it's right across from the clairmont campus of emory where you can take a bus straight to the law school, its a really nice apartment complex, and i've heard nothing but positive things from other students.....

mgbp0
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:32 am

Re: Emory 2010

Postby mgbp0 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:48 am

forty-two wrote:
leraa6587 wrote:Apartment rundown- posted in other Emory thread as well

Places I would live:
Calibre Woods ($1039 or $1079 for 2 br, 1br are about $30 less), Highland Square ($1180 for 2br, most luxurious), Archstone Decatur Crossing (further, but newest and nicest, $980= smaller of 2br models, $960= 1br), in that order.

Places I would refuse to live in:
The Cliffton (same layout, more $$ and worse location than Calibre Woods- dif. companies), Post Briarcliff (overpriced, UGs), Gables Montclair (party place- random shoes in hallway and other indicators), The Clarion (poor location, crowded, etc.), and Highland Lakes (terrible construction, lots of UG's)


Really? I was told that Post was mostly grad students. Also, their apartments are pretty cheap. It costs about $975 for a 2br 1 bath and about 1050 square ft, around $1075 for a 2 br 2 bath and around 1150 square feet, and $1150ish for a 2 br 2 bath and about 1250 square feet. Please let me know if I'm wrong though.

Thanks for all the great info though. The price comparisons are great!


Yea, that person has NO idea what they're talking about. I was an Emory UG and still live in the area now. NO ONE lives in Calibre Woods. No one. Highland square is almost exclusively UG's- huge party apartments.

However, Post Briarcliff DOES NOT allow undergrad's to live there. It is comparable in price, quiet and clean. It's 50/50 comprised of conservative Jewish families who need to be able to walk to the Temple down the road and Emory Grad Students.

I don't know how that person failed to mention the new Emory Grad school apartments that people supposedly like, or Gables Rock Springs. The latter is expensive, but the newest of all of the them, and by far the nicest.

User avatar
anniesaysrelax
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:04 am

Re: Emory 2010

Postby anniesaysrelax » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:11 am

hhg wrote:i just signed a lease at clairmont reserve for a rent in the mid-800s (1 bed 1 bath)... i think it's pretty ideal - it's right across from the clairmont campus of emory where you can take a bus straight to the law school, its a really nice apartment complex, and i've heard nothing but positive things from other students.....


When are you moving in? I really want to get the whole living situation squared away, but figured it would be too early to sign a lease for August 1st.

leraa6587
Posts: 132
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:20 pm

Re: Emory 2010

Postby leraa6587 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:12 am

mgbp0 wrote:
forty-two wrote:
leraa6587 wrote:Apartment rundown- posted in other Emory thread as well

Places I would live:
Calibre Woods ($1039 or $1079 for 2 br, 1br are about $30 less), Highland Square ($1180 for 2br, most luxurious), Archstone Decatur Crossing (further, but newest and nicest, $980= smaller of 2br models, $960= 1br), in that order.

Places I would refuse to live in:
The Cliffton (same layout, more $$ and worse location than Calibre Woods- dif. companies), Post Briarcliff (overpriced, UGs), Gables Montclair (party place- random shoes in hallway and other indicators), The Clarion (poor location, crowded, etc.), and Highland Lakes (terrible construction, lots of UG's)


Really? I was told that Post was mostly grad students. Also, their apartments are pretty cheap. It costs about $975 for a 2br 1 bath and about 1050 square ft, around $1075 for a 2 br 2 bath and around 1150 square feet, and $1150ish for a 2 br 2 bath and about 1250 square feet. Please let me know if I'm wrong though.

Thanks for all the great info though. The price comparisons are great!


Yea, that person has NO idea what they're talking about. I was an Emory UG and still live in the area now. NO ONE lives in Calibre Woods. No one. Highland square is almost exclusively UG's- huge party apartments.

However, Post Briarcliff DOES NOT allow undergrad's to live there. It is comparable in price, quiet and clean. It's 50/50 comprised of conservative Jewish families who need to be able to walk to the Temple down the road and Emory Grad Students.

I don't know how that person failed to mention the new Emory Grad school apartments that people supposedly like, or Gables Rock Springs. The latter is expensive, but the newest of all of the them, and by far the nicest.


I looked at all of the above, and that was my take, sorry. Calibre Woods got some of the highest ratings on apartment ratings.com, which is significant to me because I came from a "college town" where this website proved to be hauntingly accurate. I'm glad some of the apartments worked for you, just not my cup of tea. I never even heard of the grad school apartments and didn't bother to look at another gables property after I saw Gables Montclair. There's no need to attack anyone, we're only talking about apartments. The only one I would really really advise anyone to stay away from is Highland Lakes, their model had crooked walls and a door frame to ceiling crack...

rando
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: Emory 2010

Postby rando » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:22 am

All the Gables properties will be good barring Gables Montclair. and that is just because of the ridiculous undergrad population

My advice - venture outside of the apartment complexes and find something way cheaper and with a bit more personality. Worked out very well for me.

User avatar
Tweek
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:34 am

Re: Emory 2010

Postby Tweek » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:50 am

rando wrote:All the Gables properties will be good barring Gables Montclair. and that is just because of the ridiculous undergrad population

My advice - venture outside of the apartment complexes and find something way cheaper and with a bit more personality. Worked out very well for me.


I live in Gables Midtown and love it. Great amenities and nice apartments. But it's a drive away from Emory (maybe 10 min).




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Lmorina126, NotAGolfer, nslaw123, rationalhound, zeglo and 17 guests