Emory 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Barolo

New

Re: Emory 2010

Post by Barolo » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:37 pm

I visited both schools a few weeks ago. Both have beautiful campuses -- perhaps Emory has a slight edge. Though I liked the exterior look (and the amazing reading room window) at UGA, the inside underwhelmed me -- it felt '60s institutional. Emory is a mixed beast. The classrooms don't have windows but everything is pretty much up to snuff. The library felt new-ish. Otherwise, the campus feels a bit more updated.

Athens and Atlanta surprised me too -- I was sure that I'd love Athens but I really didn't. In Athens, I found some good food, beer, music, and a killer vintage shop. It was very small though. Atlanta, by contrast, is sprawling but contains some very cool neighborhoods (Virginia Highland and Decatur come to mind). I like cities and Atlanta has everything. That said, I would suspect that it is easier to live in Athens (less traffic, lower rent, etc.).

I picked Emory. In my view, it is the more polished program and I think it's worth the marginal cost -- especially with their string-free scholarship policy.

Also, what rando said about employment.

married0L

New

Post by married0L » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:02 pm

I currently live in Athens, but did not go to undergrad here. I am a Southerner through and through and want to work in the South (most likely Atlanta). I love Athens and would not mind living here three more years (my wife and I have a great group of friends and like the town). However, it is going to be tougher for her to find work here (as she is finishing up grad school) than in Atlanta.

I went to a small liberal arts private school and Emory felt very much like it. I really enjoyed it. It was much more urban than I thought it would be. The law school, itself, was nice. The library was awkward, but nice. The classrooms left a lot to be desired (I thought UGA's compared favorably), but the common areas were nicer at Emory. I liked UGA's library more I think with the large reading room with the big windows.

Emory is a more polished program, no doubt. I have more faith in their administration and vision than UGA. At UGA, I would pay somewhere around 9k/yr. At Emory, somewhere around 23k/year. I know this is not a smart assumption, but go with me. Does top 15% at UGA and top 15% at Emory get me roughly the same in the Southeast/Atlanta?

ze2151

Bronze

Post by ze2151 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:15 pm

married0L- only you can know what the best move is for you. as for me, i really believe in what dean partlett is doing at emory. on april 15, i may be proven wrong by usnwr (i'm being facetious with that comment), but i think emory is a program on the rise in a region of the country that is experiencing a strong growth in population. as a yankee, i don't know what the situation "on the ground" is for uga grads viz. emory grads. but i imagine it is something similar to what i see in pa with UPenn and Dickinson. Dickinson is a fantastic option for students who want to practice in the PA hinterland, and actually you can do well with a Dickinson degree in the larger metros too. But there is a mystique surrounding the Penn name. i think emory carries similar cachet in georgia and that quality will only continue to grow. jmo though.

and if you choose emory, you won't be the only married guy there

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:24 pm

married0L wrote:
Does top 15% at UGA and top 15% at Emory get me roughly the same in the Southeast/Atlanta?
No. At least, all else being equal. They are not equivalent. Not to mention, UGA does not have any reach outside of GA. Emory grads go to TN, FLA, AL, SC, NC. UGA just doesn't have that reach. Don't get me wrong, UGA does well for itself in Atlanta, but not as well as Emory.

randtuckman

New

Post by randtuckman » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:39 am

married0L wrote:How would you guys compare Emory and UGA in terms of lifestyle, law school atmosphere, facilities, administration, and employment statistics? Visited today and enjoyed it, and deciding between UGA $$$ and Emory $$.
Join the Emory ranks and provide myself and fiancee (married before classes start) ready made friends. Also everything everyone else said a al Emory is the better choice. 2ndly... I think you have the same $$$ situation as I do at Emory and Georgia. I picked Emory.

Not much else to say, I am trying to plug Emory to interesting people, and it would be nice to have a few more married couples.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dudnaito

Bronze

Post by dudnaito » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:11 am

lawduder wrote:
dudnaito wrote:guys, sorry but when is the deposit deadline?
April 15th
sorry for the question, but it's just that emory seems to have lost my package in the mail, and they're not getting back to me quick enough in the emails nor are they answering some of my questions.

The deadline is in the 15th like you said. First of all, thanks for the info. Secondly, do you know what's the fastest way to make payment... like credit card for instance. I moved to Japan, don't have a cellphone, and don't really live in a city, so it's hard to go out after 10 pm find an international payphone and ask emory these questions. Obviously sending a check, or actually anything via snail mail doesn't seem particularly feasible given the time constraints, so i'm really looking for a FAST way to send the deposit.

I would greatly appreciate if you or anyone else for that matter could just answer this question. Thanks.

ze2151

Bronze

Post by ze2151 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:19 am

from what i understand, they only accept checks. but if you call them and explain the situation, or even email dean rosenzweig or someone else in admissions, they may be able to give you a couple grace days? i have no idea though, you have to ask them.

notveryhappy2L

New

Post by notveryhappy2L » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:12 pm

married0L wrote:
Does top 15% at UGA and top 15% at Emory get me roughly the same in the Southeast/Atlanta?
Ha. No.
While I wasn't lucky enough to be top 15% at either of these schools, 15% at Emory will certainly give you a chance at V100 Southeast firms (as well as around the country), while your top 15% UGA degree would probably get you a couple of interviews at medium-large Atlanta firms, but nothing is guaranteed beyond that.

Ben2010

New

Post by Ben2010 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:09 pm

dudnaito wrote:
lawduder wrote:
dudnaito wrote:guys, sorry but when is the deposit deadline?
April 15th
sorry for the question, but it's just that emory seems to have lost my package in the mail, and they're not getting back to me quick enough in the emails nor are they answering some of my questions.

The deadline is in the 15th like you said. First of all, thanks for the info. Secondly, do you know what's the fastest way to make payment... like credit card for instance. I moved to Japan, don't have a cellphone, and don't really live in a city, so it's hard to go out after 10 pm find an international payphone and ask emory these questions. Obviously sending a check, or actually anything via snail mail doesn't seem particularly feasible given the time constraints, so i'm really looking for a FAST way to send the deposit.

I would greatly appreciate if you or anyone else for that matter could just answer this question. Thanks.
This is interesting. My packet was also lost in the mail, but I sent the basic admissions e-mail address a note about it and they offered to send me scanned copies of everything.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

terpette

Bronze

Post by terpette » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:42 am

Anyone go to ASW? What did you think??

I flew down to Atlanta and was planning on going to the whole thing but only made it there in time for the tour, I came down with a raging fever the night before :(

Did I miss anything crucial??

autao

New

Post by autao » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:46 pm

terpette wrote:Anyone go to ASW? What did you think??

I flew down to Atlanta and was planning on going to the whole thing but only made it there in time for the tour, I came down with a raging fever the night before :(

Very sorry to hear that you missed it. Personally I really liked it, even though I was almost sure I was going to Emory before yesterday. I heard enough things that I liked that I chose to put down my deposit. I was interested to hear in the group sessions about Emory putting a little more emphasis on clerkships. Obviously two of the things they stressed were the field placement program (which is probably why I chose Emory over other schools), and the TiGER program in conjunction with Georgia Tech. I do think Emory lacks a little bit in clinic offerings but coupled with the field placements its probably not that big of a deal. The current student panel was very accomplished and very involved. I was surprised to learn that Emory's public interest stipends for summers were 5000 dollars, much higher than other schools I looked at. Someone did ask a question about the 84% employment rate after graduation, and the answer they gave was just generic about how the economy was turning around. (so a little concerning there). Lots of talk about community, which I actually started to believe a little bit by the end. At the beginning I found the community talk to be annoying given Emory's reputation, but on my way out someone who was studying for their finals on Saturday and not affiliated with the event stopped and tried to talk me into coming to Emory. Then three or four other 2nd years attempted to do the same. Sorry if this is very convoluted but it was my impression of the day and I liked it. Also one professor from the law and religion center gave a great if not idealistic speech that ended with Come to Emory.

terpette

Bronze

Post by terpette » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:55 pm

autao wrote:

Very sorry to hear that you missed it. Personally I really liked it, even though I was almost sure I was going to Emory before yesterday. I heard enough things that I liked that I chose to put down my deposit. I was interested to hear in the group sessions about Emory putting a little more emphasis on clerkships. Obviously two of the things they stressed were the field placement program (which is probably why I chose Emory over other schools), and the TiGER program in conjunction with Georgia Tech. I do think Emory lacks a little bit in clinic offerings but coupled with the field placements its probably not that big of a deal. The current student panel was very accomplished and very involved. I was surprised to learn that Emory's public interest stipends for summers were 5000 dollars, much higher than other schools I looked at. Someone did ask a question about the 84% employment rate after graduation, and the answer they gave was just generic about how the economy was turning around. (so a little concerning there). Lots of talk about community, which I actually started to believe a little bit by the end. At the beginning I found the community talk to be annoying given Emory's reputation, but on my way out someone who was studying for their finals on Saturday and not affiliated with the event stopped and tried to talk me into coming to Emory. Then three or four other 2nd years attempted to do the same. Sorry if this is very convoluted but it was my impression of the day and I liked it. Also one professor from the law and religion center gave a great if not idealistic speech that ended with Come to Emory.
Thanks so much for the overview! I'm sorry I missed it too. I was incredibly sick though so I'm not sure how much I would have retained if I made it to the whole thing anyway. I liked Emory but it's a little far (I'm from near DC) for me and I don't know given how strongly they place in Atlanta, if I'd be able to make it back to DC after graduation. I've pretty much narrowed it down to BC and Emory. I think I like Boston a bit better (I cut out BU because it just didn't seem to be a good "fit" for me) and I'm trying to make my decision soon, although I may have to double-deposit. I think BC may have a bit more degree portability on the coast, although I've had a hard time figuring out exactly how much....

Glad you got a more "collegial" feeling there too. I'm definitely looking for somewhere with that kind of atmosphere as well.

terpette

Bronze

Post by terpette » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:55 pm

autao wrote:

and thank you again for answering my questions!!! :) glad you enjoyed it so much!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

UFMatt

Bronze

Post by UFMatt » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:26 pm

Nothing that I would call crucial. I went with the intention of validating Emory as my choice, and I wasn't disappointed. The students and faculty were friendly, helpful, and quite diverse. I was lucky enough to talk with the TI:GER program director at lunch; she was very approachable and organized. Overall I got a strong sense that Emory's reputation is rising, which is not the sense that I have about all of Emory's peer schools. I put down my deposit at lunchtime.

ze2151

Bronze

Post by ze2151 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:48 pm

ufmatt and autao: congrats! excited to know you're on board. was the law and religion speaker prof. john witte? he is THE man in the field and the #1 reason i'll be in atlanta in the fall. such an amazing scholar and great guy.

autao

New

Post by autao » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:12 pm

ze2151 wrote:ufmatt and autao: congrats! excited to know you're on board. was the law and religion speaker prof. john witte? he is THE man in the field and the #1 reason i'll be in atlanta in the fall. such an amazing scholar and great guy.

Yeah it was, he was great. As was the mock class with Professor Freer.

lawduder

Bronze

Post by lawduder » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:43 pm

autao wrote:
ze2151 wrote:ufmatt and autao: congrats! excited to know you're on board. was the law and religion speaker prof. john witte? he is THE man in the field and the #1 reason i'll be in atlanta in the fall. such an amazing scholar and great guy.

Yeah it was, he was great. As was the mock class with Professor Freer.
I thought Freer was AWESOME!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

leraa6587

Bronze

Post by leraa6587 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:35 pm

The quality of students and professors was outstanding. Professor Freer has pretty much sold the school to me. I have to check out wake though to see if they've given me an offer I can't refuse (with a 48 hour decision basically!).

UFLS2013

New

Post by UFLS2013 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:16 pm

EMORY VS. UF

both sticker price...

leraa6587

Bronze

Post by leraa6587 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:21 pm

UFLS2013 wrote:EMORY VS. UF

both sticker price...

That depends if you're a fun person. If you are, come join us at Emory. If UF didn't have a football team no one would apply there. If you like swamps and the booming Florida legal market then UF may be a great fit.

Ryou

New

Post by Ryou » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:15 pm

Does anyone know if Emory negotiates scholarship offers? I heard someone here say they didn't and I was told by admissions after emailing that they didn't... but a 3L told me at ASW that they know someone there who negotiated more money and that every school in reality negotiates.

Did the policy change recently?

I'm waiting on a few letters still but Emory is my top choice. The other school still in the running is Pepperdine which offered double the money and said they will consider me for more on May 1st.

I have median/slightly above median numbers for Emory, really strong softs (or at least good enough to get into faculty review at Cal with sub-median #'s), and my undergrad degree was from one of the top three liberal arts colleges.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:26 pm

Ryou wrote:Does anyone know if Emory negotiates scholarship offers? I heard someone here say they didn't and I was told by admissions after emailing that they didn't... but a 3L told me at ASW that they know someone there who negotiated more money and that every school in reality negotiates.

I'm waiting on a few letters still but Emory is my top choice. The other school still in the running is Pepperdine which offered double the money and said they will consider me for more on May 1st.

I have median/slightly above median numbers for Emory, really strong softs (or at least good enough to get into faculty review at Cal with sub-median #'s), and my undergrad degree was from one of the top three liberal arts colleges.
They have said "no negotiation" and everyone here who has tried got shot down. Go for it, but don't expect anything to come of it.

forty-two

Bronze

Post by forty-two » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:46 am

Ryou wrote:Does anyone know if Emory negotiates scholarship offers? I heard someone here say they didn't and I was told by admissions after emailing that they didn't... but a 3L told me at ASW that they know someone there who negotiated more money and that every school in reality negotiates.

I don't think they do, but does the Pepperdine scholarship have strings? Emory's are guaranteed for all three years (unless you take time off in the middle or go on academic probation), while I've heard that you have to stay in the top 30% to keep Pepperdine's. I personally think the piece of mind that comes with knowing that I'm not going to lose my scholarship is worth the difference in the amount of money...others may disagree, however.

Ryou

New

Post by Ryou » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:34 am

It's a top 33% requirement. While I am slightly worried I am not devastatingly scared of losing my scholarship.

I have high numbers for Pepperdine and I'm actually a much better studier than my GPA indicates. It's only low because I didn't pay much attention to my grades my first two years in college... for some reason I just didn't think they mattered anymore. So I picked a bunch of hard classes, went for the hard-but-you-learn-more professors, and took lots of classes outside of my majors in order to "make the best out of my college experience." Ended up with a bunch of B+'s dragging me down.

If I focused on my grades, took more fluff and less intense seminars, and kept to my majors I probably would have at least a 3.7. And if I went to a state school I'm sure I have would been a 4.0 student easily (I was a valedictorian and lots of my friends that were lower ranked than me in HS have 4.0's in UCLA and USC).

But on the topic of class rank I'm trying to consider though is where I would place relatively in class ranks at Emory and Pepperdine. I've heard that top 15% at Pepperdine can be competitive in the LA market which would be ideal for me. But while I'm pretty safe with 33% I'm not so sure about top 15%. As my numbers are median at Emory I am even less certain of a high ranking there. I'm not too particular about where I practice if I have to stay at Atlanta, but I do desire to optimize my options in the future.

bryanhan

New

Post by bryanhan » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:55 am

forty-two wrote:... I personally think the piece of mind that comes with knowing that I'm not going to lose my scholarship is worth the difference in the amount of money...others may disagree, however.
Agree!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”