Emory 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
autao

Re: Emory 2010

Postby autao » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:45 am

dvd wrote:
autao wrote:You know what then I apologize. I thought you were simply picking on one school. Believe me I am fully aware that since I have geographic limitations and decided to stay close to my significant other it will be very difficult. As long as you acknowledge that this is not an Emory specific problem rather a problem from the top 10 on down with things being much easier for the schools toward the top of that list. While I personally will not be paying sticker, I can see the rational that someone who is less debt averse than I would want to take on such a risk. My issue was with what I saw as a direct attack on a school that seemed unprovoked, but to me it seems that you realize this is a problem everywhere.

Dude, all the schools I got into aren't worth sticker - I broke the T14, but only with Cornell which is insanely f$#%ing expensive. If I am a little bitter, and bash all the schools that let me in, it is because my view of my future is rather dismal.

That was exactly my ceiling, and there is no way I am spending 50,000 a year to freeze my ass off in Ithaca. But I can see how if someone hit this incredible reach, maybe sticker might be the right move for them. On the whole, and for myself personally I disagree. Sorry for pushing this thread off topic.

dvd

Postby dvd » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:47 am

`
Last edited by dvd on Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:51 am

UFMatt wrote:
rad law wrote:
dvd wrote:Emory = not worth sticker.

True. I'm not convinced that any school outside the T10 or even T6 is worth sticker ITE.

As good as Emory is down South, it's still a risky $200k gamble ITE. If you do great, you can pay it off. But I've been hearing anecdotally that people even above the median are having big trouble finding good jobs.

We've been hearing this about every school, with the exception of Yale. Things are bad everywhere. That being said, I agree paying sticker for just about any school is quite a financial risk.

Yup. Not new info, but worth reiterating.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:52 am

rad law wrote:
UFMatt wrote:
rad law wrote:
dvd wrote:Emory = not worth sticker.

True. I'm not convinced that any school outside the T10 or even T6 is worth sticker ITE.

As good as Emory is down South, it's still a risky $200k gamble ITE. If you do great, you can pay it off. But I've been hearing anecdotally that people even above the median are having big trouble finding good jobs.

We've been hearing this about every school, with the exception of Yale. Things are bad everywhere. That being said, I agree paying sticker for just about any school is quite a financial risk.

Yup. Not new info, but worth reiterating.

depends what sticker is. if in-state uga, sticker really isn't that bad a deal. heck, sticker in-state texas isn't even that bad a deal.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:57 am

f0bolous wrote:depends what sticker is. if in-state uga, sticker really isn't that bad a deal. heck, sticker in-state texas isn't even that bad a deal.

Of course. It goes without saying that state schools have some pretty sweet deals for in-staters.

lawduder

Postby lawduder » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:07 am

brb sky falling

Matteliszt

Postby Matteliszt » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:36 am

Rad essentially is speaking to any school below Yale. People all over will tell you ITE anything at sticker is a gamble. I think the best way to approach it is to figure out where you want to be and work(hopefully) when you graduate.

maximus34998

Postby maximus34998 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:43 am

lawduder wrote:brb sky falling

+1. :D

leraa6587

Postby leraa6587 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:54 am

Everyone is going about this in the wrong way. The short answer: a law school (or anything) is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

I had a much longer answer typed for the "long answer," but basically it said this: law school is an investment, any investment assumes some risks. However in law school, unlike other forms of investing, you actually have control over your investment. Investments with the largest risks logically either pay off the most or destroy you the most. There's not usually an in between, which is the point at which you guys have all found yourselves fighting over.

Personally, I see that law school is unnecessarily expensive, which goes back to my short answer. Law school is an elite club (well, the t30 at least), that you need one or a combination of many things to join- time, status, money, connections, dedication, etc. To be in the top 20 of the now 209 law schools this year is incredible, and whether you choose to pay sticker for Emory or not congratulations on all of your successes so far.

Maybe Emory will be the "google" of law schools and end up in the t14 down the road to pay off everyone's investment. After all, it is quite the rising star in recent years...

Snoopy1216

Postby Snoopy1216 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:02 pm

leraa6587 wrote:Everyone is going about this in the wrong way. The short answer: a law school (or anything) is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

I had a much longer answer typed for the "long answer," but basically it said this: law school is an investment, any investment assumes some risks. However in law school, unlike other forms of investing, you actually have control over your investment. Investments with the largest risks logically either pay off the most or destroy you the most. There's not usually an in between, which is the point at which you guys have all found yourselves fighting over.

Personally, I see that law school is unnecessarily expensive, which goes back to my short answer. Law school is an elite club (well, the t30 at least), that you need one or a combination of many things to join- time, status, money, connections, dedication, etc. To be in the top 20 of the now 209 law schools this year is incredible, and whether you choose to pay sticker for Emory or not congratulations on all of your successes so far.

Maybe Emory will be the "google" of law schools and end up in the t14 down the road to pay off everyone's investment. After all, it is quite the rising star in recent years...

1+

TheBigMediocre

Postby TheBigMediocre » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:55 pm

leraa6587 wrote:Everyone is going about this in the wrong way. The short answer: a law school (or anything) is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Sorry, that designation will probably belong to UC-Irvine.

lawduder

Postby lawduder » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:00 pm

TheBigMediocre wrote:

Sorry, that designation will probably belong to UC-Irvine.

UCI is going to implode along with the entire state of California :twisted:

leraa6587

Postby leraa6587 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:03 pm

If UCI gets it, great. That would probably help Emory to rise in the rankings anyway. Atlanta will still have less competition than Cali though...

UFLS2013

Postby UFLS2013 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:16 pm

anyone know what last year's graduating class' median salary was?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:15 pm

Well, I, too, tried negotiating and failed. Equal $$ at Vandy and Emory = Vandy. I probably will be withdrawing soon, and may or may not be at ASD, even though it's a 20 min walk from me.

ze2151

Postby ze2151 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:19 pm

rad law- sorry to hear that. but vanderbilt is a great school, and you'll be able to catch some quality football games. i liked your posts and would have liked to be a classmate of yours. best of luck.

final thought- have you been to nashville? not my cup of tea. great music scene, but past that, eh. if you like atlanta, maybe it's worth it?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:40 pm

ze2151 wrote:rad law- sorry to hear that. but vanderbilt is a great school, and you'll be able to catch some quality football games. i liked your posts and would have liked to be a classmate of yours. best of luck.

final thought- have you been to nashville? not my cup of tea. great music scene, but past that, eh. if you like atlanta, maybe it's worth it?

Thanks ze; glad I could help. Not gonna lie, after 4 years of no football at Emory, I'm really looking forward to Vandy, even if they're only good for a couple upsets a year haha. Tailgating will be amazing though.

I have been to Nashville. It's no Atlanta, that's for sure, and I'm really gonna miss VA Highlands and Buckhead in ATL. However, Vandy does have some good, fun bars from what I've experienced, and the live music scene there seems pretty fun.

I actually do want to come back to ATL after law school, but it seems the Vandy degree gets you in the door ahead of Emory (if slightly), plus if I don't get/want Vandy, then I'll have more options.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:50 pm

rad law wrote:Well, I, too, tried negotiating and failed. Equal $$ at Vandy and Emory = Vandy. I probably will be withdrawing soon, and may or may not be at ASD, even though it's a 20 min walk from me.

do it for the t-shirt!

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:52 pm

f0bolous wrote:do it for the t-shirt!

Haha you have pretty much summed up the undergrad experience of many of my classmates.

tinyone

Postby tinyone » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:07 pm

Does anyone know how Emory places in Texas? Please pm if you do.
Thanks!

dudnaito

Postby dudnaito » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:16 pm

guys, sorry but when is the deposit deadline?

also, as an emory undergrad, its great there, but you guys do realize that Atlanta is the worlds allergen capital

lawduder

Postby lawduder » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:25 pm

dudnaito wrote:guys, sorry but when is the deposit deadline?

April 15th

jamaicanjynx

Postby jamaicanjynx » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:31 pm

UFLS2013 wrote:anyone know what last year's graduating class' median salary was?

Employment stats:
http://www.law.emory.edu/fileadmin/care ... 009_01.pdf

married0L

Postby married0L » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:22 pm

How would you guys compare Emory and UGA in terms of lifestyle, law school atmosphere, facilities, administration, and employment statistics? Visited today and enjoyed it, and deciding between UGA $$$ and Emory $$.

rando

Postby rando » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:20 pm

married0L wrote:How would you guys compare Emory and UGA in terms of lifestyle, law school atmosphere, facilities, administration, and employment statistics? Visited today and enjoyed it, and deciding between UGA $$$ and Emory $$.

I will try not to sound too biased but the short version is that unless the cost of attendance will be significantly lower at UGA, Emory is the best choice. Whether that is for working in GA, or out of state. People will try to tell you that employers find Emory and UGA students to be interchangeable. While that can be true in certain situations, on the whole, it is not. Further, from anecdotal experience and knowing several top students at UGA, they got absolutely crushed at OCI this year. Top 15% students unemployed.

At UGA, you will find a lot of "double-dawgs" and very southern students. At Emory, it is a lot more varied. A lot from the Northeast. But also a lot from Florida, TN, and a surprising number from CA. I don't think either school has too much interaction with the UG community.

My fiancee goes to UGA in a different grad program so I have visited the school often. I am not a big fan of their library and old building. The new building closer to the UG library is very nice though. Emory's facilities are really nice, bar the 5th floor classrooms where maybe 1/3 of the classes are held. Those classrooms just leave a lot to be desired. They aren't auditorium and the chairs are uncomfortable.

As far as admin go, I have no idea about UGA, but Emory's are pretty solid. The registar is wonderful!! and the personnel in the alumni office are fantastic! the Career services office is just like any other I would imagine. But they were so wonderfully helpful when I had to schedule my OCI interviews around other conflicts. They called the employers, helped me set up special times etc. It was fantastic.

I don't know the difference between your $$ and $$$ but unless it is a lot, I can't imagine telling someone they would be better off at UGA.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”