Emory 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Barolo

Re: Emory 2010

Postby Barolo » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:54 pm

Withdrew all of the other applications and putting the check in the mail. The waiting is over! Going to Emory!

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:32 am

pearl_earrings wrote:
philosoraptor wrote:
statuscheckerssuck wrote:
Rowinguy2009 wrote:Anyone want to make a guess on what the scholarships are gonna look like? I know the past two years they gave out tons of money, last year having a 166 was almost a golden ticket to a 96,000 scholly. Do you think they will give out that same kind of money this year? Do you think the threshold for that money will be raised?

I've asked this before, but Emory is my basically my first choice and I have numbers right in last years "sweetspot" so this is a question that crosses my mind about 57 times a day.

Amen. I am wondering that as well. Hoping that my 166 and high GPA will get me one of those golden tickets!

Sure sounds good to me! A cursory glance at last year's LSN suggests that they'd started doling out decisions by this time last year, so hopefully we won't have to wait too long to find out.

Agreed - I wonder if they do e-mails or snail mail?

I have a 168, and was offered $81,000. Not sure if this helps!

UFLS2013

Postby UFLS2013 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:38 am

just got in last week. No scholly info.

are more schollys coming? is it worth writing them a letter asking for some money???

-Thanks

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:45 am

UFLS2013 wrote:just got in last week. No scholly info.

are more schollys coming? is it worth writing them a letter asking for some money???

-Thanks

From the way this thread has been going, it seems that those who got in after the mass scholarship mailing aren't getting anything. I plan to write them a letter, but they have a hard policy of not negotiating under any circumstances, so I don't expect anything to come of it.

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:54 am

-Thanks

I heard the same thing--that they don't negotiate. It's possible, I suppose, that more money could become available when students begin to turn down offers, so there might be hope. I know that I had a professor recommend me for Woodruff, so I think that may have made a difference with the scholarship offer!

hhg

Postby hhg » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:48 am

starrydecisus wrote:

-Thanks

I heard the same thing--that they don't negotiate. It's possible, I suppose, that more money could become available when students begin to turn down offers, so there might be hope. I know that I had a professor recommend me for Woodruff, so I think that may have made a difference with the scholarship offer!

my guess is that more money won't become available unless way more people than they expect turn down their offer of attendance & they get desperate to attract candidates, because schools give out much more than they have available in the first place knowing that many won't enroll. perhaps if their numbers were really off, as i know this cycle has been a bit different than most, a school may do a little more enticing through money. i'd bet this won't be the case though.

DukeHopeful

Postby DukeHopeful » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:45 am

bakiewakies wrote:so, my mom really wants to come with me to Visiting Day, and it'll be the first time I've been to any admitted students event for a law school. do peoples' parents normally come or am I going to be the only lame one with my mom?

I would say it depends... Is she paying or helping to pay for your law school? If yes, then I'd do whatever the hell I had to to keep her from changing her mind! :lol:

leraa6587

Postby leraa6587 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:50 am

bakiewakies wrote:so, my mom really wants to come with me to Visiting Day, and it'll be the first time I've been to any admitted students event for a law school. do peoples' parents normally come or am I going to be the only lame one with my mom?

My dad is coming with me. Buttttt, he is paying for the visit, we're coming from TX, and this is the only time I'll be able to visit until summer to look for apartments so it's not really a choice for me. We can be "uncool" together I guess, but I think my dad is pretty fun. I'm confident there will be plenty of parents there, and spouses for that matter. Just make sure she doesn't look the part of a mom haha I don't think there was anything more annoying than the herds of moms with their clipboards and tucked in t-shirts touring my UG with their kids.

leraa6587

Postby leraa6587 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:00 am

Kinda off topic, but people ask about schools for their kids all the time, and this is my kid so bear with me.

Any horse people coming to ASW or even Emory? Would you be interested in comparing nearby stables? I will be spending more time finding a barn than an apartment so if I find a great one I'd be willing to help out someone who doesn't have the time to do this.

(Leaving my horse behind is not an option!!)

randtuckman

Postby randtuckman » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:12 am

leraa6587 wrote:Kinda off topic, but people ask about schools for their kids all the time, and this is my kid so bear with me.

Any horse people coming to ASW or even Emory? Would you be interested in comparing nearby stables? I will be spending more time finding a barn than an apartment so if I find a great one I'd be willing to help out someone who doesn't have the time to do this.

Well actually... I am moving from Houston with my fiancee + our horse Olive. Fiancee rides English. (Not sure if that matters to you, figured you would assume Western from Texas) As far as stables go, I can't help there. We will be keeping Olive with her parents. My fiancee will likely know A LOT more about the stable situation than I do. I will ask her after work and get back to you. She will probably want to know your riding type, if you are looking for specific trainers, etc. She grew up just outside of Atlanta, so hopefully she can help out.

I don't suppose you rode in college?

lgreenbe

Postby lgreenbe » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:26 am

leraa6587 wrote:Kinda off topic, but people ask about schools for their kids all the time, and this is my kid so bear with me.

Deciding between BC and Emory, but my horse is almost definitely coming with me and I am coming to ASW. Im trying to figure out some options for first year though so I wouldn't have to pay mountains of $$$ for board when I dont think I'll be able to ride all that much......

randtuckman

Postby randtuckman » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:37 am

lgreenbe wrote:

Deciding between BC and Emory, but my horse is almost definitely coming with me and I am coming to ASW. Im trying to figure out some options for first year though so I wouldn't have to pay mountains of $$$ for board when I dont think I'll be able to ride all that much......

EMORY! Looks like we might have a nice group of equestrians. Anyone else?

sibley

Postby sibley » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:38 am

withdrew from WL today

altkidd

Postby altkidd » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:33 pm

I will be sending in my deposit today, and will be bringing all 3 of my horses to Atlanta with me.

leraa6587

Postby leraa6587 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:58 pm

Nice!! I like the horses people, keep it coming!! I ride the craziest of crazies, straight egyptian arabs in hunter pleasure/ sport horse/ jumping. I will be sure to post more on barns after I go look next week. Another thing I would suggest doing for other breed association people like myself is grabbing a prizelist from a high rated show- even if you don't show, there are always the most reputable barns advertising in there, and most show barns offer reasonable prices for pasture board or basic full care.

mavsman88

Postby mavsman88 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:00 pm

Does anyone know the nicest and closest place to campus to live?

lgreenbe

Postby lgreenbe » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:04 pm

leraa6587 wrote:Nice!! I like the horses people, keep it coming!! I ride the craziest of crazies, straight egyptian arabs in hunter pleasure/ sport horse/ jumping. I will be sure to post more on barns after I go look next week. Another thing I would suggest doing for other breed association people like myself is grabbing a prizelist from a high rated show- even if you don't show, there are always the most reputable barns advertising in there, and most show barns offer reasonable prices for pasture board or basic full care.

definitely let me know if you find anything decent for a good price. I've got a crazy tb mare (hunter), sweet as can be though, but I dont have the time to visit barns while I'm there.

gobucks101

Postby gobucks101 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:55 pm

mavsman88 wrote:Does anyone know the nicest and closest place to campus to live?

http://www.gables.com/gablesliving/comm ... munityId=7

These apartments are pretty good. They are around 2 miles out from campus and the classmates who live there that I know of have had positive experiences.

UFLS2013

Postby UFLS2013 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:40 pm

got fin aid package...

only offerred 20,500 in sub and unsub. loans. is this low for emory?

eldizknee

Postby eldizknee » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:41 pm

Last edited by eldizknee on Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:33 pm

Is it safe to assume that if you didn't get a scholarship offer by now, and if none is listed on your fin aid offer, you're not getting one at this point -- that is, Grad PLUS all the way, baby?

Captain Obvious here is guessing true, but does any have any insight to the contrary?

Emory at sticker would be a tough sell.

edit: reviewing this thread, I would seem to have my answer
Last edited by FunkyJD on Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

UFLS2013

Postby UFLS2013 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:34 pm

FunkyJD wrote:Is it safe to assume that if you didn't get a scholarship offer by now, and if none is listed on your fin aid offer, you're not getting one at this point -- that is, Grad PLUS all the way, baby?

Captain Obvious here is guessing true, but does any have any insight to the contrary?

Emory at sticker would be a tough sell.

same dilemma. Is Emory at sticker worth it??

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:45 pm

For me, it isn't ... not when I can go to Notre Dame for about 1/2 price. That's why I want to be sure that I'm not missing out on something before I withdraw from Emory.

jadjerd

Postby jadjerd » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:06 pm

I just withdrew by mail last week, so my scholarship can go to someone...

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:37 am

jadjerd wrote:I just withdrew by mail last week, so my scholarship can go to someone...

When is the first deposit deadline for Emory if we received a scholarship? Is it April 1? My letter is at my parent's house...anyone know?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”