Emory 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lawduder

Bronze

Re: Emory 2010

Post by lawduder » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:55 pm

dusk2k2 wrote:So, I just got an email invitation to an admitted students reception, but have not received my acceptance packet. Is it safe to assume I'm in?

And what is this OPUS system I keep hearing about and how do I access it?
You'll get an email from the financial aid people sometime in the future that will give you all the information you'll need to access it.

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:00 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:
lateforthesky16 wrote:anyone know of any good places to find pictures of the inside of the law school? I swear I can't find pictures anywhere, but I'm really curious and I won't be able to make the admit day. Thanks :)

+1

it is a very mysterious place, I barely know what the damned place looks like....are they hiding anything?

It's actually quite nice inside. Rather modern and spacious. The library is really neat.

Matteliszt

Silver

Post by Matteliszt » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:23 pm

So, I just got an email invitation to an admitted students reception, but have not received my acceptance packet. Is it safe to assume I'm in?
:( that means I am probably not in at all...

musicfor18

Silver

Post by musicfor18 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:42 pm

Just got the email from the Emory Financial Aid office saying to log on and view my financial aid awards. There were no scholarships there; just Stafford loans at the maximum allowed amount.

While I can understand that perhaps they chose not to award me scholarship, I am taken aback by the inefficiency of their communication. My acceptance letter (which also included a handwritten note saying how my unique background would lend much perspective to the school) made no positive or negative mention of scholarship, except that an info sheet included with it said scholarship notifications would be sent out beginning in February. On the website, it says scholarship notification will begin in mid-March. When I emailed the admission office today, I received an ambiguous response saying: "All scholarship recipients have been notified." I was seriously considering Emory, but am surprised that it seems they won't be offering me a penny of scholarship. At this point, I just need an affirmative answer from them either way.

Anyone think it's worth sending an appeal letter or email?

167/3.7, master degree, 5+ years work experience

edit: I just receive another email from the admissions office apologizing for the previous email being unclear and clarify that I have not been awarded a scholarship. Anyone think I should I try to appeal somehow? Seems like many people with lower numbers than me got substantial awards.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:18 pm

musicfor18 wrote:Anyone think I should I try to appeal somehow? Seems like many people with lower numbers than me got substantial awards.
Worth an email, but they have probably run out of money and they have said flat out that they don't negotiate.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:33 pm

musicfor18 wrote:Just got the email from the Emory Financial Aid office saying to log on and view my financial aid awards. There were no scholarships there; just Stafford loans at the maximum allowed amount.

While I can understand that perhaps they chose not to award me scholarship, I am taken aback by the inefficiency of their communication. My acceptance letter (which also included a handwritten note saying how my unique background would lend much perspective to the school) made no positive or negative mention of scholarship, except that an info sheet included with it said scholarship notifications would be sent out beginning in February. On the website, it says scholarship notification will begin in mid-March. When I emailed the admission office today, I received an ambiguous response saying: "All scholarship recipients have been notified." I was seriously considering Emory, but am surprised that it seems they won't be offering me a penny of scholarship. At this point, I just need an affirmative answer from them either way.

Anyone think it's worth sending an appeal letter or email?

167/3.7, master degree, 5+ years work experience

edit: I just receive another email from the admissions office apologizing for the previous email being unclear and clarify that I have not been awarded a scholarship. Anyone think I should I try to appeal somehow? Seems like many people with lower numbers than me got substantial awards.
It's likely going to be a useless waste of your time. Focus your energy on the schools that you have palatable offers from and move on.

dvd

Bronze

Post by dvd » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:15 am

`
Last edited by dvd on Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ben2010

New

Post by Ben2010 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:08 am

So this OPUS thing is real, right?

I finished my application just a few weeks ago (took Feb. LSAT) and submitted it right on the deadline. I haven't heard anything back from them other than the standard your application is complete e-mail.

But after signing in to this OPUS thing after getting the e-mail tonight, it showed a $22k a year scholarship under the financial aid tab. Can I assume that I am getting in, even if I haven't heard anything else?

chicoalto0649

Silver

Post by chicoalto0649 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:13 am

Ben2010 wrote:So this OPUS thing is real, right?

I finished my application just a few weeks ago (took Feb. LSAT) and submitted it right on the deadline. I haven't heard anything back from them other than the standard your application is complete e-mail.

But after signing in to this OPUS thing after getting the e-mail tonight, it showed a $22k a year scholarship under the financial aid tab. Can I assume that I am getting in, even if I haven't heard anything else?
LOL

I just tried to log in and it says they have no record of me- of course my decision is still pending....

I think people desperate to know about their status should try logging in there...maybe it's a backdoor way of finding out whether youre in or not

https://www.app.emory.edu/acm/getpassword.cfm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dusk2k2

New

Post by dusk2k2 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:27 am

So, I got an email inviting me to an admitted students day in DC, where I live. In the email itself, there isn't anything addressing anyone by name. But in the header, I noticed that the email is addressed to aboyles@emory.edu

Now, I'm wondering if they made a mistake sending me that email and I just got my hopes up for nothing. But how did the email get to me? There is nothing in the email header with my email address at all...

chicoalto0649

Silver

Post by chicoalto0649 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:33 am

dusk2k2 wrote:So, I got an email inviting me to an admitted students day in DC, where I live. In the email itself, there isn't anything addressing anyone by name. But in the header, I noticed that the email is addressed to aboyles@emory.edu

Now, I'm wondering if they made a mistake sending me that email and I just got my hopes up for nothing. But how did the email get to me? There is nothing in the email header with my email address at all...
are you aboyles?

dusk2k2

New

Post by dusk2k2 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:36 am

Nope, I'm not aboyles. That's a name in the emory directory though, might be an administration member. Ack, and I already registered for the admitted students event. This could be embarrassing if I wasn't admitted.

chicoalto0649

Silver

Post by chicoalto0649 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:37 am

dusk2k2 wrote:Nope, I'm not aboyles. That's a name in the emory directory though, might be an administration member. Ack, and I already registered for the admitted students event. This could be embarrassing if I wasn't admitted.
call em tomorrow- they're friendly and fill you in.....

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dusk2k2

New

Post by dusk2k2 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:37 am

Well, I called them yesterday and they said a decision was made on Friday. So I probably won't have to wait long to find out if this was a mistake...

artexprt

New

Post by artexprt » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:40 am

aboyles is Andy Boyles. Works in admissions and is pretty nice. Even set me up with a fee waiver. He may hold the email tree or something. Sounds like you're in.

Matteliszt

Silver

Post by Matteliszt » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:02 am

I just tried to log in and it says they have no record of me- of course my decision is still pending....
do you think that means anything?

chicoalto0649

Silver

Post by chicoalto0649 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:09 am

Matteliszt wrote:
do you think that means anything?
No. I knew my decision is still pending (as of last friday) because I called and asked. Soooooo I will wager they still haven't made a decision.

(my 1000th post-woot)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:54 am

dvd wrote:Emory seems pretty stingy with scholarships, and unwilling to negotiate.
If you applied late, yes.

itsmytime10

Bronze

Post by itsmytime10 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:21 am

chicoalto0649 wrote:
Ben2010 wrote:So this OPUS thing is real, right?

LOL

I think people desperate to know about their status should try logging in there...maybe it's a backdoor way of finding out whether youre in or not

https://www.app.emory.edu/acm/getpassword.cfm
Are admitted students able to log in?

dvd

Bronze

Post by dvd » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:29 am

`

maximus34998

New

Post by maximus34998 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:52 am

dvd wrote:
rad law wrote:
dvd wrote:Emory seems pretty stingy with scholarships, and unwilling to negotiate.
If you applied late, yes.
Were they that much more generous earlier on?
I think it depends on what is "earlier"...it seems like anyone who applied before the scholarship notifications went out got 54k, 60k, 66k, or 72k, with a lot of people who applied for the Woodruff getting 75k or 81k. This is, of course, if they awarded you a scholarship at all.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dvd

Bronze

Post by dvd » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:54 am

`

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:56 am

dvd wrote: Ahh, I see. It just seems like from what I have read that they are less generous then peers like Minnesota, WUSTL, etc.
Well TBF Minnesota and WUSTL are known for being EXTREMELY generous with scholarships, I'd say Emory (if they're giving you $$) tend to be on the middle to more generous end of the spectrum.

Edit: This coming from someone who also was not awarded any merit scholarship $$.

Tweek

New

Post by Tweek » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:16 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:
dusk2k2 wrote:Nope, I'm not aboyles. That's a name in the emory directory though, might be an administration member. Ack, and I already registered for the admitted students event. This could be embarrassing if I wasn't admitted.
call em tomorrow- they're friendly and fill you in.....
I have no knowledge of Emory's admission process and am still waiting patiently for a decision, but sounds like you were just BCC'd on the email (which was likely sent "To" aboyles to ensure that it actually went out properly, but with everyone else BCC'd so you don't know who actually received the email other than you).

TheBigMediocre

Silver

Post by TheBigMediocre » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:44 pm

Probably withdrawing next week. Talked to admissions today and they said the scholarship committee has finished awarding merit-based aid. Damn shame too because with some money I would have gone to Emory in a heartbeat. No reason for me to pay just as much to go there as Vanderbilt (if I get off the WL).

I'm not sure how their system works and it's irking me a little bit. My 3.2/166 fraternity brother with nearly identical ECs got 18k/year when I'm 3.35/170 and I got squat. I look at it as their loss.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”