Emory 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Matteliszt

Silver

Re: Emory 2010

Post by Matteliszt » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:18 am

ding - I was def a little disappointed with this one! congrats to all who made it!

Sorry to hear that - Do you mind posting your numbers?

Are any of you guys in a ND v Emory decision?

musicfor18

Silver

Post by musicfor18 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:17 pm

smartblonde87 wrote:ding - I was def a little disappointed with this one! congrats to all who made it!
I see you were waitlisted at UCLA, though. That's enviable!

tinyone

Bronze

Post by tinyone » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:55 pm

This is annoying. I know I submitted my FASFA to Emory back in January but I keep getting messages on OPUS saying that my FASFA is missing. Is anyone else having this problem? I tried to call the Financial Aid office but I got a message saying they were closed for MLK...

cardinalandgold

Silver

Post by cardinalandgold » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:00 pm

lawduder wrote:
cutiewiddlebebe wrote:Is it possible to see scholarship awards online via Emory's OPUS system?

I received an email indicating that I could check my "award package" online, but I only see Federal Stafford Loans. Given what I have received from other, more competitive schools, I am a bit perplexed that no merit scholarships are listed.

Or must I wait for a letter?
My scholarship amount is listed along with my stafford loan amounts.
Got my link to OPUS to check my financial aid package and there are only loans. I guess Emory isn't giving me a scholarship. Funny thing is the loans aren't even enough to cover the COA. Oh well, I guess Emory is out.

lawduder

Bronze

Post by lawduder » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:27 pm

cardinalandgold wrote:
lawduder wrote:
cutiewiddlebebe wrote:Is it possible to see scholarship awards online via Emory's OPUS system?

I received an email indicating that I could check my "award package" online, but I only see Federal Stafford Loans. Given what I have received from other, more competitive schools, I am a bit perplexed that no merit scholarships are listed.

Got my link to OPUS to check my financial aid package and there are only loans. I guess Emory isn't giving me a scholarship. Funny thing is the loans aren't even enough to cover the COA. Oh well, I guess Emory is out.
OPUS doesn't show GradPLUS loans, you apply for those seperately. You can get the form from the financial aid website.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cardinalandgold

Silver

Post by cardinalandgold » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:33 pm

lawduder wrote:
cardinalandgold wrote:
lawduder wrote:

OPUS doesn't show GradPLUS loans, you apply for those seperately. You can get the form from the financial aid website.
Thanks for clearing that up. Still, Emory at full sticker is definitely a no go for me.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:36 pm

cardinalandgold wrote: Thanks for clearing that up. Still, Emory at full sticker is definitely a no go for me.
Is it coming down to Michigan and Vandy for you, Cardinal?

cardinalandgold

Silver

Post by cardinalandgold » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:40 pm

rad law wrote:
cardinalandgold wrote: Thanks for clearing that up. Still, Emory at full sticker is definitely a no go for me.
It's looking that way. I'm leaning slightly towards Michigan right now (shooting for BigLaw in CA or DC), but I'm gonna reserve judgement until visiting both (Mich later this week and Vandy next week). It's going to be hard turning down $$ from Vandy though. Decisions, decisions.

Matteliszt

Silver

Post by Matteliszt » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:42 pm

You didn't get $ at Emory? That seems weird. Are you even considering ND?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cardinalandgold

Silver

Post by cardinalandgold » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:46 pm

Matteliszt wrote:You didn't get $ at Emory? That seems weird. Are you even considering ND?
I'm not sure how long scholarship letters usually take to arrive, but I was admitted early last week and have yet to get one. I even got a handwritten note at the bottom about my personal statement and how I'd put together a really strong package. Go figure.

As for ND, I just got in yesterday but with them only offering $18k/yr and Vandy giving me $20k/yr, I'll prob withdraw soon from ND.

Matteliszt

Silver

Post by Matteliszt » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:49 pm

Wow nice scholly from Vandy seems like you have a lot of good choices :)

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:50 pm

cardinalandgold wrote:
rad law wrote:
It's looking that way. I'm leaning slightly towards Michigan right now (shooting for BigLaw in CA or DC), but I'm gonna reserve judgement until visiting both (Mich later this week and Vandy next week). It's going to be hard turning down $$ from Vandy though. Decisions, decisions.
I really don't think there's a wrong answer, and yeah, a lot of it ought to come down to the visit.

cardinalandgold

Silver

Post by cardinalandgold » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:53 pm

Matteliszt wrote:Wow nice scholly from Vandy seems like you have a lot of good choices :)
Thanks, having multiple LSAT scores I didn't know what to expect coming into this cycle. But I'm definitely pretty happy with my cycle thus far. Good luck!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Matteliszt

Silver

Post by Matteliszt » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:01 pm

Rad,
you going to be at Emory next year?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:24 pm

Matteliszt wrote:Rad,
you going to be at Emory next year?
I haven't totally discounted it, considering my desire to be in Atlanta after graduation along with Emory's scholarship offer, but Vandy gave me only $3k less. I hear Vandy is equal to or greater than Emory in Atlanta, Vandy's biglaw placement is better in general (47% vs 24% NLJ250), and I'd sort of like a change of scenery, so I'm leaning towards Vandy. I'm definitely going to wait until after each school's ASD to decide, though.

musicfor18

Silver

Post by musicfor18 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:30 pm

cardinalandgold wrote:
Matteliszt wrote:You didn't get $ at Emory? That seems weird. Are you even considering ND?
I'm not sure how long scholarship letters usually take to arrive, but I was admitted early last week and have yet to get one. I even got a handwritten note at the bottom about my personal statement and how I'd put together a really strong package. Go figure.

As for ND, I just got in yesterday but with them only offering $18k/yr and Vandy giving me $20k/yr, I'll prob withdraw soon from ND.
I got in 2/22 and haven't received any scholarship letter yet. 167/3.7

franklinlincoln

New

Post by franklinlincoln » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:35 pm

I was accepted 2/12 and also haven't received scholarship information. 169/3.8

It's frustrating because I know they do a sort of YP scholarship policy, but I have been seriously considering Emory and am going to drive from NY to visit.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

smartblonde87

Bronze

Post by smartblonde87 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:41 pm

tag
Last edited by smartblonde87 on Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matteliszt

Silver

Post by Matteliszt » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:42 pm

Thanks Smartblonde

smartblonde87

Bronze

Post by smartblonde87 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:44 pm

musicfor18 wrote:
smartblonde87 wrote:ding - I was def a little disappointed with this one! congrats to all who made it!
I see you were waitlisted at UCLA, though. That's enviable!
Thanks! I see you applied too - w your stats you are sure to get AT LEAST that. Good luck!

musicfor18

Silver

Post by musicfor18 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:09 pm

Ok, everyone. Make of this what you will, but I finally emailed the Emory Law admissions office today. Here's what I said:

"To Whom It May Concern:

I was admitted in February for the Fall 2010 entering JD class, and received my admittance packet. There was no mention of scholarship, however. Would you be able to tell me if I am still being considered for merit-based scholarship? This would be very helpful!

Thank you very much!"

and here is the reply I received:

"thanks for your email. All scholarships have been communicated to recipients. Congratulations on your acceptance to Emory Law.

--
Emory Law Admission
More than Practice
admission@law.emory.edu"

Admittedly, this is not a very conclusive response, as I suppose a letter could be on its way to me, but it seems unlikely. It seems that most other admitted students have gotten scholarship info right along with their acceptance letter. I was accepted 2/17 (same day I went complete), received my packet on 2/22, and have heard nothing since. My numbers are 167/3.7 and I'm kind of surprised if I'm not being offered any merit aid. Thoughts?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:37 pm

musicfor18 wrote: Admittedly, this is not a very conclusive response, as I suppose a letter could be on its way to me, but it seems unlikely. It seems that most other admitted students have gotten scholarship info right along with their acceptance letter. I was accepted 2/17 (same day I went complete), received my packet on 2/22, and have heard nothing since. My numbers are 167/3.7 and I'm kind of surprised if I'm not being offered any merit aid. Thoughts?
Yeah a letter could be on its way, depending on when you were accepted. One way to look at it might be that it's comparatively late in the game, and Emory may have already given out the majority of its money. As we have seen with a decided lack of $96k awards this year, endowment money is way down. Good luck, and I agree that it's surprising that you didn't get anything.

dusk2k2

New

Post by dusk2k2 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:43 pm

So, I just got an email invitation to an admitted students reception, but have not received my acceptance packet. Is it safe to assume I'm in?

And what is this OPUS system I keep hearing about and how do I access it?

lateforthesky16

Bronze

Post by lateforthesky16 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:50 pm

anyone know of any good places to find pictures of the inside of the law school? I swear I can't find pictures anywhere, but I'm really curious and I won't be able to make the admit day. Thanks :)

chicoalto0649

Silver

Post by chicoalto0649 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:54 pm

lateforthesky16 wrote:anyone know of any good places to find pictures of the inside of the law school? I swear I can't find pictures anywhere, but I'm really curious and I won't be able to make the admit day. Thanks :)

+1

it is a very mysterious place, I barely know what the damned place looks like....are they hiding anything?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”