Emory 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Barolo

New

Re: Emory 2010

Post by Barolo » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:15 pm

I also got the email: "As we analyze our second deposits, we are anticipating a larger class than expected. As such, we would like to offer select enrollees a financial incentive to defer their admission until Fall 2011:

Scholarship Increase: If you choose to take advantage of this deferral option, we will increase your total scholarship by $5,000 beginning when you matriculate in Fall 2011.
Book Scholarship: In addition, we will credit your student account $1,000 each academic year to cover books and other incidental expenses."

It doesn't look hopeful for the waitlist. That said, I agree with the posters who have suggested that there is someone to be hurt by waiting it out for shits and giggles. Vanity and genuine interest are vastly different motivators. I'd love to see some movement for the people who really want Emory -- my best wishes to those in that category.

One other thing that may contribute to the high yield/lower acceptance rates is what appears to be a sensible scholarship policy in which they buy the class that they want (look at the acceptance band between 166-168 and the corresponding scholarships). Unlike many schools which seem to apply a "throw the money at the dream candidates" policy, Emory seems to blanket the likely attendees and pays less attention to wooing the students who are attractive but are not likely to attend. I suspect this policy is behind the recent incremental improvements in numbers. It's either sensible or cynical. Or both.

ze2151

Bronze

Post by ze2151 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:45 pm

I wonder how many people got these emails. ITE, it may not be a bad idea to wait a year, let the economy recover, get a few extra bucks, and come in the fall.. On the other hand, I'm pretty excited to start... so that may trump all.

Depending on how many people take them up on this, I still say the WL has hope. Think about it. What if Emory has a ton of high LSAT splitters right now, and needs to raise their GPA median... There could be some sweet GPAs sitting on the WL for them. Admissions is a crazy business... this is a bit unprecedented, though, so who knows what could happen.

Barolo, I don't think it's 100 pct true that Emory "buys the class it wants," but I'm sure they take a rational approach to admissions. There are some cases, like mine, that don't apply. Judging from the data on LSN, they have significantly upped their LSAT median. Very encouraging.

This all seems to confirm my hunch that schools like Emory, Vandy, Duke, etc... are poised to begin grabbing top tier talent who don't want to spend 3 years in Chicago or NY. 17% acceptance rate? Holy cow, guys!

txhorn

Bronze

Post by txhorn » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:49 pm

ze2151 wrote:I wonder how many people got these emails. ITE, it may not be a bad idea to wait a year, let the economy recover, get a few extra bucks, and come in the fall.. On the other hand, I'm pretty excited to start... so that may trump all.

Depending on how many people take them up on this, I still say the WL has hope. Think about it. What if Emory has a ton of high LSAT splitters right now, and needs to raise their GPA median... There could be some sweet GPAs sitting on the WL for them. Admissions is a crazy business... this is a bit unprecedented, though, so who knows what could happen.

Barolo, I don't think it's 100 pct true that Emory "buys the class it wants," but I'm sure they take a rational approach to admissions. There are some cases, like mine, that don't apply. Judging from the data on LSN, they have significantly upped their LSAT median. Very encouraging.

This all seems to confirm my hunch that schools like Emory, Vandy, Duke, etc... are poised to begin grabbing top tier talent who don't want to spend 3 years in Chicago or NY. 17% acceptance rate? Holy cow, guys!
That seems like it could be the case. They did blanket everyone with high LSAT. Perhaps they have too many high LSAT splitters and need room to fix their GPA. Look at LSN, most are low GPA that are attending.

Barolo

New

Post by Barolo » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:56 pm

Fair points, both.

This could be strategic. In the past, it seemed that they were GPA focused at the expense of LSAT. This year may be overcompensation.

Perhaps my reservations about the prospects of the waitlist are less founded than I had believed.

trademark

New

Post by trademark » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:19 pm

Could also be money distribution for the year. They're only offering to people already with scholarships etc- might be worried about money for this year and that way if defer, they can budget for the next year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

aparks

New

Post by aparks » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:22 pm

Barolo wrote:
Perhaps my reservations about the prospects of the waitlist are less founded than I had believed.
Ditto. For those concerned, I certainly hope so. FWIW: I'm not a splitter.

eldizknee

Bronze

Post by eldizknee » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:28 pm

Last edited by eldizknee on Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

txhorn

Bronze

Post by txhorn » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:31 pm

I think they gave most everyone 166+ some sort of scholarship

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:15 pm

txhorn wrote:
ze2151 wrote:I wonder how many people got these emails. ITE, it may not be a bad idea to wait a year, let the economy recover, get a few extra bucks, and come in the fall.. On the other hand, I'm pretty excited to start... so that may trump all.

That seems like it could be the case. They did blanket everyone with high LSAT. Perhaps they have too many high LSAT splitters and need room to fix their GPA. Look at LSN, most are low GPA that are attending.
Maybe, but I was released from the waitlist with a 3.74 GPA. However, I wasn't writing LOCIs like crazy either.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:24 pm

eldizknee wrote:Yeah and when I visited the campus Dean Rosenszweig (spelling?) even said they really cut back their acceptance rate this year because of ITE, I think what he said was they were at about 17% this year as opposed to about 24% in past years. Must be a pretty strong class.
Guilty as charged

mattyboy7we

New

Post by mattyboy7we » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:11 am

eldizknee wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if the overenrollment concern was just overenrolled scholarship recipients and not overall enrollment. ITE has probably thrown their scholarship offer yield-model on its head.
Emory has a huge endowment, thats why they can offer such large scholarships to those who's gpa/lsat fall near the median. The problem is more likely space, since ELS is a smaller school in general. This same problem happened last year at UM.

Mich33

New

Post by Mich33 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:29 am

I'm still on Emory's WL with a pretty low LSAT (163) but I have a 3.93. I think they are probably going to try to bump up their GPA median soon or else I would have been let go with one of the two waves of people that they released from the WL earlier this summer.

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:19 pm

mattyboy7we wrote:
eldizknee wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if the overenrollment concern was just overenrolled scholarship recipients and not overall enrollment. ITE has probably thrown their scholarship offer yield-model on its head.
Emory has a huge endowment, thats why they can offer such large scholarships to those who's gpa/lsat fall near the median. The problem is more likely space, since ELS is a smaller school in general. This same problem happened last year at UM.
This doesn't really make sense....school's know how large a class they have and for decades have accepted a proportionate amount of people. They MAY be overenrolled overall, but it wouldn't be BECAUSE they have a small class, it would be because they had higher-than-expected yield.

And the same logic goes for their scholarships. Just bc they have a large endowment doesn't mean then have unlimited funds and they STILL may have overextended themselves on scholarship money, as every school targets a certain amount and if they have higher-than-expected yield could find themselves over committed.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mattyboy7we

New

Post by mattyboy7we » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:09 pm

Regionality wrote:
mattyboy7we wrote:
This doesn't really make sense....school's know how large a class they have and for decades have accepted a proportionate amount of people. They MAY be overenrolled overall, but it wouldn't be BECAUSE they have a small class, it would be because they had higher-than-expected yield.

And the same logic goes for their scholarships. Just bc they have a large endowment doesn't mean then have unlimited funds and they STILL may have overextended themselves on scholarship money, as every school targets a certain amount and if they have higher-than-expected yield could find themselves over committed.
Sorry I was under the assumption that ELS having a "higher than expected yield" was implied.

p.s. Writing like THIS to make your POINT is annoying, I can pick things like that up on my own. :wink:

txhorn

Bronze

Post by txhorn » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:06 pm

Any news from people on the WL?

txhorn

Bronze

Post by txhorn » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:45 pm

Just called; admissions says they will be re-reviewing those remaining on the WL next week and have decisions out then.

txhorn

Bronze

Post by txhorn » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:05 pm

Anyone still waiting? Anyone get released from the WL yet?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MissLucky

Silver

Post by MissLucky » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:08 pm

txhorn wrote:Anyone still waiting? Anyone get released from the WL yet?
still waiting over here...

Mich33

New

Post by Mich33 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:18 pm

still waiting...I guess we'll know by the 15th. That's when they said the last general e-mail will go out to the WL.

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:33 pm

Mich33 wrote:still waiting...I guess we'll know by the 15th. That's when they said the last general e-mail will go out to the WL.
But they could still have no-shows at orientation that that'd know about after July 15th...right?

txhorn

Bronze

Post by txhorn » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:12 pm

Regionality wrote:
Mich33 wrote:still waiting...I guess we'll know by the 15th. That's when they said the last general e-mail will go out to the WL.
But they could still have no-shows at orientation that that'd know about after July 15th...right?
Yea, that'll be really late though. I think this week they are meeting & making decisions in bulk based on the 2nd deposit and the requests they've made for some admitted students to defer 1 year. I'm guessing as someone on the WL, you do not want that general email on the 15th as it will probably mean they've made their decisions and have filled the class. After that it will be one acceptance when one in the class drops.

Is everyone here on the WL willing to attend at full cost?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Mich33

New

Post by Mich33 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:09 pm

I think that, unless they're desperately trying to bump up their gpa medians, I'll be knocked out in the next round of cuts because of my LSAT. I'd definitely consider paying sticker but I've already put a deposit down on an apartment elsewhere so it would be a really hard decision.

UFLS2013

New

Post by UFLS2013 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:00 pm

Emory is worth sticker. Your getting a degree that will change the rest of your life (say 50-55 years). Its a top 20 law school with great faculty, the investment will most most likely realize itself in your lifetime.

Mich33

New

Post by Mich33 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:42 am

UFLS2013 wrote:Emory is worth sticker. Your getting a degree that will change the rest of your life (say 50-55 years). Its a top 20 law school with great faculty, the investment will most most likely realize itself in your lifetime.
Yea, Emory is a great school but I don't know if it's worth sticker over the school I'm currently planning on attending with scholarship. It will be a really hard choice but I guess I'll know soon enough.

txhorn

Bronze

Post by txhorn » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:35 pm

Emory has 27 law firms coming to OCI, then another ~10 in its NY program, 1 in DC, and various resume collects. It's more or less the same as last year. There will be another round of OCI, but not sure how many firms there.
This was posted in one of the threads in the employment forum. How do I verify this information? It sounds very bad

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”