Emory 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
hotlantan

New

Re: Emory 2010

Post by hotlantan » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:49 am

txhorn wrote:
Emory has 27 law firms coming to OCI, then another ~10 in its NY program, 1 in DC, and various resume collects. It's more or less the same as last year. There will be another round of OCI, but not sure how many firms there.
This was posted in one of the threads in the employment forum. How do I verify this information? It sounds very bad
I haven't seen the 2L OCI information, but that does sound pretty much like our 2009 (c/o 2011) OCI.

It's not good, but it's not unexpected. Firms are stepping away from the ledge that was 2009, but they're still skittish. Things won't come back for the T25 for another year or so.

mattyboy7we

New

Post by mattyboy7we » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:47 am

txhorn wrote:
Emory has 27 law firms coming to OCI, then another ~10 in its NY program, 1 in DC, and various resume collects. It's more or less the same as last year. There will be another round of OCI, but not sure how many firms there.
This was posted in one of the threads in the employment forum. How do I verify this information? It sounds very bad
The August OCI has 27 firms coming to Emory, but in addition there is an Emory in NY interview program with 17 firms, Emory DC with 2 firms and 3 gov. agencies, Emory TX with 2 firms, Emory Southern Cali with 6 firms, and a "resume collection" program in New England with 11 firms. There is also a september OCI that has not yet started.

This is as of today.

Also keep in mind that OCI is not a "guaranteed" way to find a job, nor is it the only way. Networking and putting in time looking up firms and sending out cover letters and resumes is a must.

txhorn

Bronze

Post by txhorn » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:03 pm

Any news/anyone get a call off the WL?

Yacht_Party

Bronze

Post by Yacht_Party » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:07 pm

Silent here.

whuts4lunch

Bronze

Post by whuts4lunch » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:06 am

Just deferred my admission for a year. Hope one of you on the Wait List gets the spot!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:57 am

mattyboy7we wrote:
txhorn wrote:
The August OCI has 27 firms coming to Emory, but in addition there is an Emory in NY interview program with 17 firms, Emory DC with 2 firms and 3 gov. agencies, Emory TX with 2 firms, Emory Southern Cali with 6 firms, and a "resume collection" program in New England with 11 firms. There is also a september OCI that has not yet started.

This is as of today.

Also keep in mind that OCI is not a "guaranteed" way to find a job, nor is it the only way. Networking and putting in time looking up firms and sending out cover letters and resumes is a must.
Is there a way to see which firms?

emorystud2010

Bronze

Post by emorystud2010 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:18 pm

Last edited by emorystud2010 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Yacht_Party

Bronze

Post by Yacht_Party » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:45 pm

Doomed. This will be fun!

txhorn

Bronze

Post by txhorn » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:44 pm

Just received an email for the WL saying to email them only if one wanted to remove themselves

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sques001

New

Post by sques001 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:48 pm

me too. This e-mailed resembled a lot to the last e-mail they sent about a month ago. Lets see what happens in the next couple of weeks..

txhorn

Bronze

Post by txhorn » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:51 pm

It sucks cause it doesn't sound at all that they're accepting anyone of the WL anytime soon. Did it seem like they're at the point where they're only going to replace one by one? I really hope few got this email, otherwise it seems like they haven't moved at all since the last email

lala7

New

Post by lala7 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:08 pm

Does anybody know if Emory Law gives any bump to Emory Undergrads?

dukeemory

New

Post by dukeemory » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:46 pm

Last edited by dukeemory on Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

txhorn

Bronze

Post by txhorn » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:11 pm

dukeemory wrote:Hey guys.
I've been checking this blog religiously as I've been waiting on pins and needles on ELS's waitlist...which I guess isn't really fair since I wasn't contributing anything, but then again, i didn't know anything you didn't know.

Well...I was let in off the waitlist on Monday. I heard they let very few people off of it...maybe they were filling one spot at a time. I don't know. I just thought I'd join and post because I would have liked to know had you posted it. I really hope things work out for you guys.
Did you write a LOCI

emorystud2010

Bronze

Post by emorystud2010 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:12 pm

Last edited by emorystud2010 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.

dukeemory

New

Post by dukeemory » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:27 pm

I've written about 5 LOCIs since being waitlisted.

sques001

New

Post by sques001 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:40 pm

Just wondering..How many LOCI did everyone write?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:14 pm

dukeemory wrote:Hey guys.
I've been checking this blog religiously as I've been waiting on pins and needles on ELS's waitlist...which I guess isn't really fair since I wasn't contributing anything, but then again, i didn't know anything you didn't know.

Well...I was let in off the waitlist on Monday. I heard they let very few people off of it...maybe they were filling one spot at a time. I don't know. I just thought I'd join and post because I would have liked to know had you posted it. I really hope things work out for you guys.
Congrats! #'s? LOCI's? Special in some way??

dukeemory

New

Post by dukeemory » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:47 pm

Well, I'm a splitter (3.9 163) so I really don't think it's my stats. I don't know why they let me in...If there's one thing I learned during this process it is that there is no telling why people get in and you just can't take law school admissions decisions personally. Some guesses as to why...I'm from New Mexico? I studied abroad 3 times? I swore up and down that I'd accept an offer immediately if admitted? I wrote that Emory was my first choice in my original application? I want to be an immigration lawyer (and wrote about it in my essay in October) and the Arizona thing made that a hot topic? And ya know, maybe they pulled my name out of a hat.

txhorn

Bronze

Post by txhorn » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:33 pm

dukeemory wrote:Well, I'm a splitter (3.9 163) so I really don't think it's my stats. I don't know why they let me in...If there's one thing I learned during this process it is that there is no telling why people get in and you just can't take law school admissions decisions personally. Some guesses as to why...I'm from New Mexico? I studied abroad 3 times? I swore up and down that I'd accept an offer immediately if admitted? I wrote that Emory was my first choice in my original application? I want to be an immigration lawyer (and wrote about it in my essay in October) and the Arizona thing made that a hot topic? And ya know, maybe they pulled my name out of a hat.
I think the 3.9 and the 5 LOCI could have done it. By the sound of things, it looks like there are still a lot of people left on the list. Did you get any money off the WL?

Maybe I should send a LOCI. I remember the last email specifically said not to send anything more, but the latest does not.

MissLucky

Silver

Post by MissLucky » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:19 pm

txhorn wrote:
dukeemory wrote:Well, I'm a splitter (3.9 163) so I really don't think it's my stats. I don't know why they let me in...If there's one thing I learned during this process it is that there is no telling why people get in and you just can't take law school admissions decisions personally. Some guesses as to why...I'm from New Mexico? I studied abroad 3 times? I swore up and down that I'd accept an offer immediately if admitted? I wrote that Emory was my first choice in my original application? I want to be an immigration lawyer (and wrote about it in my essay in October) and the Arizona thing made that a hot topic? And ya know, maybe they pulled my name out of a hat.
I think the 3.9 and the 5 LOCI could have done it. By the sound of things, it looks like there are still a lot of people left on the list. Did you get any money off the WL?

Maybe I should send a LOCI. I remember the last email specifically said not to send anything more, but the latest does not.
congrats! but 5 LOCIS? They explicitly told everyone each time not to send anything at all to them after an intial LOCI or LOR - I even called to clarify and asked that same question to Rob, the admissions staffer that was answering questions on TLS. and they all unequivocally stated "Please do not send any further materials or call to express interest" - but now that you got in after 5 LOCIs makes me think should I send a LOCI now?! or just faithfully follow the instructions ?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

emorylaw20122012

New

Post by emorylaw20122012 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:19 pm

Ok, I have to respond to the Campus Crossings misinformation going around. Incoming law students, I know you want to believe that everything you've heard about Campus Crossings is wrong and that you didn't just make a huge mistake by signing a lease with them, but take it from the people who have lived there for the past year: YOU JUST MADE A HUGE MISTAKE.

For those of you still debating whether to live there, read what last year's residents are saying and find another place to live. There are too many great living options in Atlanta to live there and you're going to be in law school for three years, invest in some furniture.

Here's what it's been like to live there. In no particular order...

1) The shuttle was completely inadequate at the beginning of the year. If you think that was a minor problem, imagine not being able to get to class your first semester of law school on a routine basis while you live at an apartment bldg that doesn't have enough parking for you to have a car and, even if you did, you don't have anywhere to park on campus. Perhaps this wouldn't have been such a big deal, but the staff was incredibly rude about it and washed their hands of the situation even though they were advertising their completely inadequate shuttle service to get students to sign leases. It took months to get the problem fixed. This turns out to be their favorite way of handling problems.

2) The Flood - In January, a pipe burst. Again, this wouldn't have been such a big deal except they didn't know how to turn the water off. Only two days earlier they had sent out an email to all residents that they thought a pipe might burst, however, it took them a long time to get it turned off because no one ever looked into what to do in such a situation. As a result, there was standing water on all four floors of the building and the basement. When water started coming out of the electrical sockets, the staff was rude and indifferent to students' concerns. When students started having medical reactions to the dust and debris in the building (thick enough that visibility was impossible) from construction they were, of course, rude and unhelpful.

3) Noise - If you enjoy living in a somewhat peaceful environment, look elsewhere. If your room faces briarcliff road, you will not be able to hear your television when a car drives by. It will sound like you live on a racetrack. Also, briarcliff is the road that ambulances and fire trucks take whenever there is an emergency so enjoy being woken up in the middle of the night before your exams.

4) Alarms - There is an alarm next to the leasing off that has been going off several times during the day and night. It is a loud beeping noise that can be heard inside all apartments that are remotely close to the leasing office. Whenever it goes off, a staff member has to go and turn it off. If it is after hours, that means you have to call the emergency after hours line and have the operator page a staff person. The result: you get to listen to the alarm for at least 45 minutes before it gets turned off. During March, April and May this was happening throughout the day and also at 11pm, 4am and 7am. EVERY DAY. From speaking with my friends who haven't moved out yet, this problem has still not been resolved. After four weeks of being woken up several times during the night, I tried speaking to the staff about developing a more long-term solution to the problem than just de-activating it 7 times a day. When I mentioned it the staff seemed incredulous that I was complaining about it since it wasn't going off at that very moment. The idea of fixing the problem permanently was something they seemed not to have considered. Which brings me to....

5) General staff incompetence - Sure, each of these things could happen at anywhere. BUT the incompetence of the staff means that not only did we have to suffer through more problems that they brought on themselves, but they also couldn't adequately address any issue that came up. To demonstrate: when I moved into my apartment at the beginning of the year, I was told that my mailbox key was not ready yet and to check back. I checked in at the end of the first week. Still not there. End of the second week. Still not there. I was starting to get worried as I knew that I was getting bills in my name and had no way to access them. The third week, I went down and asked if my key was ready. The staff member looked at me like I was stupid and said rudely "We put it in your mailbox a week ago." Hopefully you realize the idiocy of delivering someone's mailbox key to them by placing it in a locked mailbox to which they have no key. I was never able to get the staff person to understand why this presented a problem for me and had to just suffer through her rudeness.

6) Thefts - Many, many cars that were parked behind the gate had their windows smashed into and belongings stolen. Another car was stolen from behind the gate as well. This can happen anywhere, sure, but being right on briarcliff is asking for it.

7) Parking - There is not enough parking. As part of their effort to be green, they didn't build a large enough garage. I'm all for being green but this is not working. The result: residents park in visitor parking and visitors park in the drive or no where. It's incredibly inconvenient. Also, if they have assigned parking that isn't in front of the gate...good luck ever getting to park in your spot. Visitors park there and you end up having to wait for a tow truck to come (2 hours sometimes). Part of that problem could have been fixed if CC would have labelled the spots that were reserved, but it's just not their style to do things that make sense like that so it took them until the middle to end of second semester to clearly mark those spots.

8) Rudeness of the Staff - The staff is rude. Period. I can't say it any other way and I can't say it enough.

9) Cable - They charge for cable by the room not apartment so forget splitting that with your roommate.

10) Poor construction - everything breaks. Walls are thin. Windows are so thin they might as well not be there.

Basically, this is not a place that looks our for their residents. I can not say enough bad things about this place. GO SOMEWHERE ELSE! Your first, second, third years of law school (but ESPECIALLY your first year) are going to be too stressful to put up with any added inconvenience or stress. Had every problem popped up and been addressed in a reasonable time or somewhat professional manner, I'm sure I would be recommending this place and saying that bad things can happen anywhere. It's true that bad things can happen anywhere but there are places where the staff don't compound the problems and insult you while doing it. Go live there.

Other suggestions (all within about 10 minutes):

Gables Rock Springs
Gables Sheridan
Highland Square
Clairmont Reserve (has shuttles too)
Calibre Woods

txhorn

Bronze

Post by txhorn » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:31 pm

emorylaw20122012 wrote:Ok, I have to respond to the Campus Crossings misinformation going around. Incoming law students, I know you want to believe that everything you've heard about Campus Crossings is wrong and that you didn't just make a huge mistake by signing a lease with them, but take it from the people who have lived there for the past year: YOU JUST MADE A HUGE MISTAKE.

For those of you still debating whether to live there, read what last year's residents are saying and find another place to live. There are too many great living options in Atlanta to live there and you're going to be in law school for three years, invest in some furniture.

Here's what it's been like to live there. In no particular order...

1) The shuttle was completely inadequate at the beginning of the year. If you think that was a minor problem, imagine not being able to get to class your first semester of law school on a routine basis while you live at an apartment bldg that doesn't have enough parking for you to have a car and, even if you did, you don't have anywhere to park on campus. Perhaps this wouldn't have been such a big deal, but the staff was incredibly rude about it and washed their hands of the situation even though they were advertising their completely inadequate shuttle service to get students to sign leases. It took months to get the problem fixed. This turns out to be their favorite way of handling problems.

2) The Flood - In January, a pipe burst. Again, this wouldn't have been such a big deal except they didn't know how to turn the water off. Only two days earlier they had sent out an email to all residents that they thought a pipe might burst, however, it took them a long time to get it turned off because no one ever looked into what to do in such a situation. As a result, there was standing water on all four floors of the building and the basement. When water started coming out of the electrical sockets, the staff was rude and indifferent to students' concerns. When students started having medical reactions to the dust and debris in the building (thick enough that visibility was impossible) from construction they were, of course, rude and unhelpful.

3) Noise - If you enjoy living in a somewhat peaceful environment, look elsewhere. If your room faces briarcliff road, you will not be able to hear your television when a car drives by. It will sound like you live on a racetrack. Also, briarcliff is the road that ambulances and fire trucks take whenever there is an emergency so enjoy being woken up in the middle of the night before your exams.

4) Alarms - There is an alarm next to the leasing off that has been going off several times during the day and night. It is a loud beeping noise that can be heard inside all apartments that are remotely close to the leasing office. Whenever it goes off, a staff member has to go and turn it off. If it is after hours, that means you have to call the emergency after hours line and have the operator page a staff person. The result: you get to listen to the alarm for at least 45 minutes before it gets turned off. During March, April and May this was happening throughout the day and also at 11pm, 4am and 7am. EVERY DAY. From speaking with my friends who haven't moved out yet, this problem has still not been resolved. After four weeks of being woken up several times during the night, I tried speaking to the staff about developing a more long-term solution to the problem than just de-activating it 7 times a day. When I mentioned it the staff seemed incredulous that I was complaining about it since it wasn't going off at that very moment. The idea of fixing the problem permanently was something they seemed not to have considered. Which brings me to....

5) General staff incompetence - Sure, each of these things could happen at anywhere. BUT the incompetence of the staff means that not only did we have to suffer through more problems that they brought on themselves, but they also couldn't adequately address any issue that came up. To demonstrate: when I moved into my apartment at the beginning of the year, I was told that my mailbox key was not ready yet and to check back. I checked in at the end of the first week. Still not there. End of the second week. Still not there. I was starting to get worried as I knew that I was getting bills in my name and had no way to access them. The third week, I went down and asked if my key was ready. The staff member looked at me like I was stupid and said rudely "We put it in your mailbox a week ago." Hopefully you realize the idiocy of delivering someone's mailbox key to them by placing it in a locked mailbox to which they have no key. I was never able to get the staff person to understand why this presented a problem for me and had to just suffer through her rudeness.

6) Thefts - Many, many cars that were parked behind the gate had their windows smashed into and belongings stolen. Another car was stolen from behind the gate as well. This can happen anywhere, sure, but being right on briarcliff is asking for it.

7) Parking - There is not enough parking. As part of their effort to be green, they didn't build a large enough garage. I'm all for being green but this is not working. The result: residents park in visitor parking and visitors park in the drive or no where. It's incredibly inconvenient. Also, if they have assigned parking that isn't in front of the gate...good luck ever getting to park in your spot. Visitors park there and you end up having to wait for a tow truck to come (2 hours sometimes). Part of that problem could have been fixed if CC would have labelled the spots that were reserved, but it's just not their style to do things that make sense like that so it took them until the middle to end of second semester to clearly mark those spots.

8) Rudeness of the Staff - The staff is rude. Period. I can't say it any other way and I can't say it enough.

9) Cable - They charge for cable by the room not apartment so forget splitting that with your roommate.

10) Poor construction - everything breaks. Walls are thin. Windows are so thin they might as well not be there.

Basically, this is not a place that looks our for their residents. I can not say enough bad things about this place. GO SOMEWHERE ELSE! Your first, second, third years of law school (but ESPECIALLY your first year) are going to be too stressful to put up with any added inconvenience or stress. Had every problem popped up and been addressed in a reasonable time or somewhat professional manner, I'm sure I would be recommending this place and saying that bad things can happen anywhere. It's true that bad things can happen anywhere but there are places where the staff don't compound the problems and insult you while doing it. Go live there.

Other suggestions (all within about 10 minutes):

Gables Rock Springs
Gables Sheridan
Highland Square
Clairmont Reserve (has shuttles too)
Calibre Woods
Wut?

ze2151

Bronze

Post by ze2151 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:34 pm

I don't know anything about Campus Crossings, but I'll add another suggestion: Marquis at Briarcliff. My wife and I moved in at the end of May and have been very satisfied with the staff and the building (apart from the occasional palmetto bug... but hey, it's the south). It is a bit farther from campus (4 miles) and you would have to have a car. But it feels very safe, clean, and quiet. And they have a terrific pet policy (the #1 reason we chose it), so if you have a large animal, it's the place. Conversely, if animals freak you out... then being neighbors w/ my great dane might not be the best for you.

We came down here sight-unseen and were VERY lucky w/ marquis at briarcliff. Not being paid to say this in any way. I just would have liked this info when we were thinking about the move, so I'm passing it on.

See you all in the fall!

emorystud2010

Bronze

Post by emorystud2010 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:15 am

Last edited by emorystud2010 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”