Emory 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Veritas

Gold

Re: Emory 2010

Post by Veritas » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:32 pm

emroy would be interesting. how far do you think it reaches?

rocross1

Bronze

Post by rocross1 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:11 pm

I just got into Emory via phone call, after business hours. The phone call was very personal and the caller knew all about my apps, and he seemed very interested in me attending. Notre Dame is my top choice but I live in the south and want to practice here so if Emory offers me $$$ I will have a big decision to make.

Regular Decision
Oct 2nd
good softs

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:13 pm

rocross1 wrote:I just got into Emory via phone call, after business hours. The phone call was very personal and the caller knew all about my apps, and he seemed very interested in me attending. Notre Dame is my top choice but I live in the south and want to practice here so if Emory offers me $$$ I will have a big decision to make.

Regular Decision
Oct 2nd
good softs
wow congrats!!

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:17 am

rocross1 wrote:I just got into Emory via phone call, after business hours. The phone call was very personal and the caller knew all about my apps, and he seemed very interested in me attending. Notre Dame is my top choice but I live in the south and want to practice here so if Emory offers me $$$ I will have a big decision to make.

Regular Decision
Oct 2nd
good softs

96k scholarship, enjoy. I can almost guarantee that's what you'll get.

gntsf12

New

Post by gntsf12 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:30 pm

Emory has been bumping up the LSAT score their 96k scholly for a few years now. Two years ago it was 165, then 166 last year. The other schools are getting more competitive in their LSAT averages as well, so I would imagine Emory will be moving the 96k to the 167 LSAT this year, especially because they moved up in rankings last year. That being said, I could see someone with a 166 and a very high GPA 3.9+ still getting the 96k. Alternatively, the 166s might be getting the 84k scholly they are known for giving out, which sure isn't a bad scholly. Good luck guys

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

UFMatt

Bronze

Post by UFMatt » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:35 pm

Regular Decision
Oct 2nd
good softs
Very well done. You seem to be the first on TLS to post an acceptance. Here's hoping they let more of us know before Christmas.

statuscheckerssuck

Bronze

Post by statuscheckerssuck » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:49 pm

gntsf12 wrote:Emory has been bumping up the LSAT score their 96k scholly for a few years now. Two years ago it was 165, then 166 last year. The other schools are getting more competitive in their LSAT averages as well, so I would imagine Emory will be moving the 96k to the 167 LSAT this year, especially because they moved up in rankings last year. That being said, I could see someone with a 166 and a very high GPA 3.9+ still getting the 96k. Alternatively, the 166s might be getting the 84k scholly they are known for giving out, which sure isn't a bad scholly. Good luck guys
Hey, I would be good with the 84k, although the 96k would be awesome. After this semesters grades my GPA jumped from a 3.8 to 3.84 (I took a lot of credits). Do you think that jump is worth sending my semester grades? Or would that just slow down the process of my app?

whuts4lunch

Bronze

Post by whuts4lunch » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:12 pm

any shot at a decent scholarship for 167 LSAT with a 3.2-3.4 GPA?

whuts4lunch

Bronze

Post by whuts4lunch » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:14 pm

Regular Decision
Oct 2nd
good softs
early response considering that the email says that Emory isn't even reviewing apps yet. Congrats!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rocross1

Bronze

Post by rocross1 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:17 pm

I am not sure why I am the only one in yet, but like I said they were very personal and showed a lot of specific interest in my app. They asked if I had read my letters of rec and said my Professors loved me. They also said that my application just stood out and they really wanted to do whatever they could to help me in making my decision. I hope this translates into $$$. Although I have already been accepted into higher ranked schools, and been given $ at my top choice ND, Emory is still high on my list. Other than ND Emory is probably my top choice and if they give me a significant scholarship I will probably attend. It is close to my home and family and I want to practice in the south, probably Atl so Emory is a great choice. Even though I started the ND class of 2013 thread and it would be the hardest decision I've ever made I would probably turn ND down if it meant coming out of school with little to no student loans.

gntsf12

New

Post by gntsf12 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:36 pm

statuscheckerssuck wrote:
gntsf12 wrote:Emory has been bumping up the LSAT score their 96k scholly for a few years now. Two years ago it was 165, then 166 last year. The other schools are getting more competitive in their LSAT averages as well, so I would imagine Emory will be moving the 96k to the 167 LSAT this year, especially because they moved up in rankings last year. That being said, I could see someone with a 166 and a very high GPA 3.9+ still getting the 96k. Alternatively, the 166s might be getting the 84k scholly they are known for giving out, which sure isn't a bad scholly. Good luck guys
Hey, I would be good with the 84k, although the 96k would be awesome. After this semesters grades my GPA jumped from a 3.8 to 3.84 (I took a lot of credits). Do you think that jump is worth sending my semester grades? Or would that just slow down the process of my app?
I'm not sure, I doubt updating your transcript would bump you back in their review, but your best bet would be to email admissions there and see what they recommend.

statuscheckerssuck

Bronze

Post by statuscheckerssuck » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:05 am

Is anyone else wondering why it seems like they have accepted only one person so far? According to LSN last year there were quite a few people accepted before XMas. Anyone have any speculations as to what is going on?

philosoraptor

Silver

Post by philosoraptor » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:11 pm

statuscheckerssuck wrote:Is anyone else wondering why it seems like they have accepted only one person so far? According to LSN last year there were quite a few people accepted before XMas. Anyone have any speculations as to what is going on?
I'm in via phone call from the dean of admissions about 20 minutes ago. He praised some specifics of my app and sounded really excited to offer me a place. It's the first call I've gotten (as opposed to a less personal e-mail), so that was gratifying. He also said he'd put me in touch with professors in my areas of interest, recommended that I take a visit, and said he'd start sending a ton of information about the school.

Noteworthy: I sent my app two weeks ago and it went complete 12/14, so it doesn't look like they review in order of receipt.

He said he's trying to get certain offers out before Christmas, so here's hoping the rest of you guys get the call soon!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

UFMatt

Bronze

Post by UFMatt » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:13 pm

philosoraptor wrote:
statuscheckerssuck wrote:Is anyone else wondering why it seems like they have accepted only one person so far? According to LSN last year there were quite a few people accepted before XMas. Anyone have any speculations as to what is going on?
I'm in via phone call from the dean of admissions about 20 minutes ago. He praised some specifics of my app and sounded really excited to offer me a place. It's the first call I've gotten (as opposed to a less personal e-mail), so that was gratifying. He also said he'd put me in touch with professors in my areas of interest, recommended that I take a visit, and said he'd start sending a ton of information about the school.

Noteworthy: I sent my app two weeks ago and it went complete 12/14, so it doesn't look like they review in order of receipt.

He said he's trying to get certain offers out before Christmas, so here's hoping the rest of you guys get the call soon!
Congrats! Now I'm going to stare at my cell phone for the rest of the day.

statuscheckerssuck

Bronze

Post by statuscheckerssuck » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:20 pm

philosoraptor wrote:

Ughh so nerve racking. We have around the same numbers, but unfortunately I am not from an Ivy, although I do believe I have pretty good softs. Do you think I have any chance of a call today? I sent mine probably like a month and a half ago.

philosoraptor

Silver

Post by philosoraptor » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:39 pm

statuscheckerssuck wrote: Ughh so nerve racking. We have around the same numbers, but unfortunately I am not from an Ivy, although I do believe I have pretty good softs. Do you think I have any chance of a call today? I sent mine probably like a month and a half ago.
Sorry to fray everyone's nerves even more. Honestly, I'm not sure what prompted the early call, but I'm guessing I just happened to hit everything on their arbitrary let's-recruit-this-guy checklist. They probably assume they've got a good shot at landing me because my numbers, though high for them, aren't T14-caliber and because I have a legitimate interest in returning to the South. (They do have a good shot, if a scholarship is in the offing.)

Seriously, statuscheckers, I'm sure everyone with numbers at or above both 75s need not worry about getting in. You'll be fine.

Rowinguy2009

Bronze

Post by Rowinguy2009 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:21 am

Interesting strategy they have going on. Call one person at a time days apart from each other. Going by this I think I will expect a decision sometime in late October.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Matteliszt

Silver

Post by Matteliszt » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:30 am

Put in my app today, 3.39 (+ a quarter of 3.9 still coming in) and hopefully about a 168 LSAT. I will keep you guys updated.

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:45 am

Rowinguy2009 wrote:Interesting strategy they have going on. Call one person at a time days apart from each other. Going by this I think I will expect a decision sometime in late October.
Puts the holistic in holistic :lol:

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:03 am

Maybe they are planning on calling with some rejections on Christmas morning.

statuscheckerssuck

Bronze

Post by statuscheckerssuck » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:02 pm

Rowinguy2009 wrote:Interesting strategy they have going on. Call one person at a time days apart from each other. Going by this I think I will expect a decision sometime in late October.
haha +1

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:47 pm

In today. Call.

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:50 pm

thickfreakness wrote:In today. Call.
Congrats! Any discussion of $$ or is that to come later?

statuscheckerssuck

Bronze

Post by statuscheckerssuck » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:52 pm

thickfreakness wrote:In today. Call.
Obviously you are about to be hounded for details, so you might as well just rehash everything you remember from the call starting with your stats. Ready....Go!

Just kidding, well kinda, but congrats!

UFMatt

Bronze

Post by UFMatt » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:52 pm

Looks like a lot of high GPA love so far. Congrats to those accepted.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”