GULC 2010 WL'ers

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
megster_29
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:16 pm

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby megster_29 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:15 pm

Hi guys, I know being on the WL can be nerve-racking, but at least you're not a poor sap like me who hasn't heard anything yet...

For a spot on the regular WL I would burn down a house
For a spot on the preferred WL I would burn down MY house
For a spot on the preferred preferred WL I would definitely kill.

So congrats to all of you and try to stay positive!

User avatar
beef wellington
Posts: 882
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:05 am

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby beef wellington » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:24 pm

nowinGA wrote:Hey WL'ers...

Does anyone know if they truly wait until, for example, March 22nd and then accept WL'ers for all of the open spots? Or do they gradually, as people with draw or decline, accept WL'ers one by one to fill open spots...?

To put it another way, should I be anxious every day that I might hear something, or should I just expect to wait until 3/22 or so?

I'm not expecting to hear anything until at least 3/22, and I'm not exactly sure what we'll hear on 3/22. Their first seat deposit isn't until 4/1 so I imagine the bulk of WL movement if any will be after that.

lawapps0502
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:28 pm

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby lawapps0502 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:30 pm

beef wellington wrote:
nowinGA wrote:Hey WL'ers...

Does anyone know if they truly wait until, for example, March 22nd and then accept WL'ers for all of the open spots? Or do they gradually, as people with draw or decline, accept WL'ers one by one to fill open spots...?

To put it another way, should I be anxious every day that I might hear something, or should I just expect to wait until 3/22 or so?

I'm not expecting to hear anything until at least 3/22, and I'm not exactly sure what we'll hear on 3/22. Their first seat deposit isn't until 4/1 so I imagine the bulk of WL movement if any will be after that.


where is everyone getting this march 22nd date from?

User avatar
nowinGA
Posts: 385
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:06 pm

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby nowinGA » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:37 pm

lawapps0502 wrote:
where is everyone getting this march 22nd date from?


It was in the email telling us (or at least me) that we are in a "special group" on the preferred wait list...whatever all of that means.

MissLucky
Posts: 903
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:48 pm

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby MissLucky » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:40 pm

nowinGA wrote:
lawapps0502 wrote:
where is everyone getting this march 22nd date from?


It was in the email telling us (or at least me) that we are in a "special group" on the preferred wait list...whatever all of that means.


that just makes me feel THAT much more unspecial. I am just a regular waitlister (PT) and didn't get a point of contact person as the others seemed to have gotten or a date to look out for. who else is in the same boat? and anyone have any stats on the PT Regular Waitlist? Thanks :D

User avatar
tommytahoe
Posts: 548
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:46 pm

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby tommytahoe » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:53 pm

MissLucky wrote:
nowinGA wrote:
lawapps0502 wrote:
where is everyone getting this march 22nd date from?


It was in the email telling us (or at least me) that we are in a "special group" on the preferred wait list...whatever all of that means.


that just makes me feel THAT much more unspecial. I am just a regular waitlister (PT) and didn't get a point of contact person as the others seemed to have gotten or a date to look out for. who else is in the same boat? and anyone have any stats on the PT Regular Waitlist? Thanks :D


I am fairly certain that the 'contact' person was given only to the 'special' Preferred Waitlisters —their way of ensuring close contact with those they REALLY don't want to lose. I am on the normal Preferred list, and no such name was given. In fact, it said they will get in contact with me in May.

I will send a very nice, professional LOCI in about 3 - 4 weeks, however, to show the interest I didn't adequately provide in my PS.

User avatar
tommytahoe
Posts: 548
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:46 pm

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby tommytahoe » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:14 pm

Hey, so I asked this earlier in the thread, but I think it got lost in the shuffle:

For those of you who are on the regular Preferred list (or happen to know the answer to this anyway), is it wise to contact them at all prior to the month of May, when they say they will contact us to gauge our interest?

I am inclined to write and mail a crafted LOCI late this month, with all the key info. they need (why their schools is great, and is my top choice, period; why my "unique skills" would be a great fit there; what I have been up to, etc...)

That seems sensible to me, in spite of their "we'll call you" message in the email. What do you guys think?

Alternatively, under what circumstances should I call them? I can make good impressions both on the phone and face-to-face, but I can't afford to fly to DC from NorCal. I need to make sure I'm on point with my strategy here. I can see how as the waiting extends, every little factor counts big time!
thanks!

t.

MissLucky
Posts: 903
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:48 pm

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby MissLucky » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:41 am

tommytahoe wrote:Alternatively, under what circumstances should I call them? I can make good impressions both on the phone and face-to-face, but I can't afford to fly to DC from NorCal. I need to make sure I'm on point with my strategy here. I can see how as the waiting extends, every little factor counts big time!
thanks!

t.



I tried to walk in to the office and speak to an adcomm face to face but couldn't get access. did anyone else every try this and succeed??? i am looking for an impromptu, informal "conversation" ...

User avatar
tommytahoe
Posts: 548
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:46 pm

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby tommytahoe » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:32 pm

MissLucky wrote:
tommytahoe wrote:Alternatively, under what circumstances should I call them? I can make good impressions both on the phone and face-to-face, but I can't afford to fly to DC from NorCal. I need to make sure I'm on point with my strategy here. I can see how as the waiting extends, every little factor counts big time!
thanks!

t.



I tried to walk in to the office and speak to an adcomm face to face but couldn't get access. did anyone else every try this and succeed??? i am looking for an impromptu, informal "conversation" ...


Yeah, I'm not sure a cold-call would be prudent, even if I were near DC. I'd have to arrange an appointment. I mean, informal is great, but I just don't think you can fabricate that in a high-strung office environment used to fending off overzealous applicants.
Anyone else got an answer to my question earlier today? :)

mrm2083
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:16 pm

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby mrm2083 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:38 pm

beef wellington wrote:
nowinGA wrote:Hey WL'ers...

Does anyone know if they truly wait until, for example, March 22nd and then accept WL'ers for all of the open spots? Or do they gradually, as people with draw or decline, accept WL'ers one by one to fill open spots...?

To put it another way, should I be anxious every day that I might hear something, or should I just expect to wait until 3/22 or so?

I'm not expecting to hear anything until at least 3/22, and I'm not exactly sure what we'll hear on 3/22. Their first seat deposit isn't until 4/1 so I imagine the bulk of WL movement if any will be after that.


Why do you think they gave us that date though and told all other wait listers to wait until May? Am I being overly optimistic to think they are just trying to weed out those who actually want to go and will give a good chunk of people spots by Mar. 22nd and then move the rest to the regular preferred wait list? Did they do this super awesome secret wait list last year?

User avatar
nowinGA
Posts: 385
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:06 pm

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby nowinGA » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:42 pm

mrm2083 wrote:Why do you think they gave us that date though and told all other wait listers to wait until May? Am I being overly optimistic to think they are just trying to weed out those who actually want to go and will give a good chunk of people spots by Mar. 22nd and then move the rest to the regular preferred wait list?


Let's hope so! I mean, at least for those of use who were told we would know by 3/22. Honestly, I think I would have been better off just not hearing anything yet...this crazy wait list they have designed it making me insane in terms of status/email checking.

User avatar
tommytahoe
Posts: 548
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:46 pm

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby tommytahoe » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:00 pm

I think the March folks are the "special" Preferred WL folks, who I gather the adcomms want to keep very close to their chests. After them, through whatever process they actually use, they arrive at us Preferreds and the regular WL folks, around May, I suppose to see how their yield turned out.

I mean, I guess that's how it works. I think it's a bunch of Shakespearean witches over a cauldron, performing alchemical rites and such. No science involved !

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:12 pm

Also, they didn't say that the special preferred kids would receive an answer by the 22nd, just an update.

User avatar
beef wellington
Posts: 882
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:05 am

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby beef wellington » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:23 pm

mrm2083 wrote:
beef wellington wrote:
nowinGA wrote:Hey WL'ers...

Does anyone know if they truly wait until, for example, March 22nd and then accept WL'ers for all of the open spots? Or do they gradually, as people with draw or decline, accept WL'ers one by one to fill open spots...?

To put it another way, should I be anxious every day that I might hear something, or should I just expect to wait until 3/22 or so?

I'm not expecting to hear anything until at least 3/22, and I'm not exactly sure what we'll hear on 3/22. Their first seat deposit isn't until 4/1 so I imagine the bulk of WL movement if any will be after that.


Why do you think they gave us that date though and told all other wait listers to wait until May? Am I being overly optimistic to think they are just trying to weed out those who actually want to go and will give a good chunk of people spots by Mar. 22nd and then move the rest to the regular preferred wait list? Did they do this super awesome secret wait list last year?

I have no idea what to expect really. The only thing I've heard about last year's double secret PWL is that it was YP and if you wrote a LOCI you were in. It doesn't really look like they're following that pattern this year though as there are a bunch of us on it that aren't YP, myself included. I've also seen plausible claims that GULC doesn't YP at all, so yeah, I'm pretty much clueless. I just wish I would have ED'd.

This guy sez he was rejected from the WL on Friday. Other than that no movement. Who knows what 3/22 will bring. I've prepared myself for something to the effect of: "thanks for being patient, you'll see some movement in April." I just hope I GET the update since they never mentioned anything about it when I was WL'ed way back in December.

User avatar
tommytahoe
Posts: 548
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:46 pm

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby tommytahoe » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:24 pm

This is all very screwy...

User avatar
nowinGA
Posts: 385
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:06 pm

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby nowinGA » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:30 pm

tommytahoe wrote:This is all very screwy...


It is...I am a bit worried now because I didn't write a formal LOCI. Rather, as the email requested, I simply shot an email to the address and contact they included to assure them that yes, I was still interested. Now I feel like I should have done something more official. Thoughts? I received a response that said:

Thank you for your email and for letting me know about your continued interest in Georgetown Law. I will make sure that the Admissions Committee is aware that you want to remain in consideration, should space open up in the incoming class. For now there is nothing you need to do. However, please feel free to continue to send us any updates to your application. And if you have any questions going forward, please don’t hesitate to contact me again.

Should I still send something more formal? I did exactly what the WL email asked me to do and simply informed the contact of my continued interested...urgh.

colforbin
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:09 am

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby colforbin » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:40 pm

I am posting this prematurely because I don't have a decision. However, if I'm not denied outright, a waitlist is likely. Here is my current status checker:

Term: Fall Year: 2010
Program Time: Part-time Degree: JD
Current Status: Application Completed
Current Status Date: 3/3/2010
Decision Status: Decision Rendered
Decision Status Date: 3/5/2010


It was updated this afternoon, but I haven't received an email or anything yet. Did this happen to anyone else?

User avatar
nowinGA
Posts: 385
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:06 pm

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby nowinGA » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:30 am

It was one week ago today that I got my PWL decision via email! I wonder what today will bring! Ah, the drama...

lawapps0502
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:28 pm

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby lawapps0502 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:20 am

where on the web site does it give information about the wait list?

newyorklaw23
Posts: 82
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:52 pm

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby newyorklaw23 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:58 am

Preferred WL here, does anyone know how to submit LOCI and a supplemental letter of recommendation? Should i do it through LSAC, or just send it directly to the school (and if so, to whom?).

User avatar
nowinGA
Posts: 385
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:06 pm

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby nowinGA » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:00 pm

newyorklaw23 wrote:Preferred WL here, does anyone know how to submit LOCI and a supplemental letter of recommendation? Should i do it through LSAC, or just send it directly to the school (and if so, to whom?).


In my email it indicated a contact to whom I should send any additional materials. So I would assume you send it to that person and not go through LSAC, though i am not sure...

User avatar
tommytahoe
Posts: 548
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:46 pm

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby tommytahoe » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:10 pm

nowinGA wrote:
newyorklaw23 wrote:Preferred WL here, does anyone know how to submit LOCI and a supplemental letter of recommendation? Should i do it through LSAC, or just send it directly to the school (and if so, to whom?).


In my email it indicated a contact to whom I should send any additional materials. So I would assume you send it to that person and not go through LSAC, though i am not sure...


I need to step in here. From what I understand —and I may be wrong— there are those on the Preferred Waitlist, like me, who were told they would be contacted sometime in May. No name of anybody was given outside of the name 'Dean Cornblatt.' newyorklaw23, I think this may be you.

There are also those on the Preferred Waitlist, who, in their email, are referred to as a "special" sub-group or something. The email gives the impression that GULC really, really wants to admit them, but not just yet, or something like that. Their email is considerably more solicitous, and I think they also leave a name for the more special Waitlister to contact about anything. Sophia Sim, for example. They are told they will hear something by March 22 at the latest, I think. nowinGA, I think this is you.

I may be wrong there, of course. So, newyorklaw23, check your email first to see if it is like the first or second template I just described. If it like the first one, then nowinGA's advice might not be the best. In fact, I want to know myself whether I can send anything to them before May, b/c I'd like to be able to keep them up-to-date, and May seems a long way away!

t.

MissLucky
Posts: 903
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:48 pm

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby MissLucky » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:17 pm

has anyone hand-dropped off a LOCI and then asked for confirmation that they received it and not heard anything back for a month and counting?? i dont want to keep badgering them but I want to make sure the dude at the desk gave them my LOCI! thnx

newyorklaw23
Posts: 82
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:52 pm

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby newyorklaw23 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:21 pm

tommytahoe wrote:
nowinGA wrote:
newyorklaw23 wrote:Preferred WL here, does anyone know how to submit LOCI and a supplemental letter of recommendation? Should i do it through LSAC, or just send it directly to the school (and if so, to whom?).


In my email it indicated a contact to whom I should send any additional materials. So I would assume you send it to that person and not go through LSAC, though i am not sure...


I need to step in here. From what I understand —and I may be wrong— there are those on the Preferred Waitlist, like me, who were told they would be contacted sometime in May. No name of anybody was given outside of the name 'Dean Cornblatt.' newyorklaw23, I think this may be you.

There are also those on the Preferred Waitlist, who, in their email, are referred to as a "special" sub-group or something. The email gives the impression that GULC really, really wants to admit them, but not just yet, or something like that. Their email is considerably more solicitous, and I think they also leave a name for the more special Waitlister to contact about anything. Sophia Sim, for example. They are told they will hear something by March 22 at the latest, I think. nowinGA, I think this is you.

I may be wrong there, of course. So, newyorklaw23, check your email first to see if it is like the first or second template I just described. If it like the first one, then nowinGA's advice might not be the best. In fact, I want to know myself whether I can send anything to them before May, b/c I'd like to be able to keep them up-to-date, and May seems a long way away!

t.


Hey tommy tahoe, i am not in the special sub-group so unfortunately I did not recieve any contact information. My predicament is that Georgetown is my first choice, but i have to let Vanderbilt(with$) know by April 15. In the Preferred WL email, it only says to let them know of any deadlines I have approaching, but will I hurt my chances if I let them know that they are my first choice and ask them for a decision by April, rather than waiting until the official WL review starts in May? I don't want to ask them for a decision in April and get rejeced b/c they don't want to over-enroll, when I could have gotten in had i stayed on the preferred WL until May/June/July.

Scarletlady
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:41 am

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby Scarletlady » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:23 pm

colforbin wrote:I am posting this prematurely because I don't have a decision. However, if I'm not denied outright, a waitlist is likely. Here is my current status checker:

Term: Fall Year: 2010
Program Time: Part-time Degree: JD
Current Status: Application Completed
Current Status Date: 3/3/2010
Decision Status: Decision Rendered
Decision Status Date: 3/5/2010


It was updated this afternoon, but I haven't received an email or anything yet. Did this happen to anyone else?


Checked my status as soon as I saw your post. Everything else is the same on mine except that I have no "Decision Status" or "Decision Status Date" listed. I am also part-time, but ended up applying and EDing late (they bumped the ED date to March 1). I am in the autoreject zone but figured its worth the $80 to express my interest for when I try to pull a transfer next year. Keeping my fingers crossed for the WL




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: eck456, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], itshandled, mcvizz, mlp12, Smc1994, stratton_oakmont, VapidP and 17 guests