GULC 2010 WL'ers

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
iamtaw

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby iamtaw » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:46 pm

if its anything like last year, we should get an cryptic email that goes something like "we think you'll be pleased with what you'll be getting in the mail in a few days" if we get admitted. Though I haven't heard of any of the other WL admits getting it.

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:54 pm

That would be pretty cool.

SummerLaw

Postby SummerLaw » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:58 pm

I think they’re probably accurate assessments of the WL/enrollment conditions. There are likely not many waitlist spots at any of the top 50 schools. The economy is bad and law schools are flooding with students. That said, I don’t think there has ever been an abundance of available spots for WL candidates and even if there were, the law school is not going to say “Hey nobody wants to go here so we’re expecting to admit everyone off our WL this year.”

Just another observation: when I went through the GULC WL thread for 2009 it didn’t seem that many, if any were moved after May.

Xizenta

Postby Xizenta » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:00 pm

EB, seems like youre waiting for snailmail for nothing. The last guy that got admitted off the waitlist (beef wellington) had his status checker updated when the decision was made.

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:03 pm

Xizenta wrote:EB, seems like youre waiting for snailmail for nothing. The last guy that got admitted off the waitlist (beef wellington) had his status checker updated when the decision was made.

...aaaand now I have to check again.

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:07 pm

iamtaw wrote:My thinking was that they're not painting the most optimistic picture so that only those who are really interested in attending stick around on the waitlists.

I wondered about this as well. If we understand the seat deposit/withdrawal process as the separating of interested from uninterested, these emails could be their way of helping that process along.
And, to clarify what EB and the other guy were saying about everyone getting email deadlines. I am a PWL, and I was told that I would be contacted in May. That weakens the notion that they emailed everybody primarily to satisfy contact deadline promises.

However, I imagine part of their reason is to keep people in the loop out of courtesy and candor; part of it is to spread a conservative estimate of how many openings they expect (my guess is the openings will be slightly more than what they predict, although they are the ones working in the office, and I am the one in Northern CA!); and part of it may be to see who wants to stick around through May 10.

gobears09

Postby gobears09 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:08 pm

Encyclopedia Brown wrote:
Xizenta wrote:EB, seems like youre waiting for snailmail for nothing. The last guy that got admitted off the waitlist (beef wellington) had his status checker updated when the decision was made.

FYI, Im pretty sure everyone that has gotten off the SPWL went back Under Review after the initial waitlist decision, and then had another Decision Rendered. This happened to me and BeefWellington on April 1st, and to several others in March. So go back to obsessive status checking, not mail box checking.

Xizenta

Postby Xizenta » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:10 pm

gobears09 wrote:

FYI, Im pretty sure everyone that has gotten off the SPWL went back Under Review after the initial waitlist decision, and then had another Decision Rendered. This happened to me and BeefWellington on April 1st, and to several others in March. So go back to obsessive status checking, not mail box checking.

Thought so.

pertristis

Postby pertristis » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:10 pm

gobears09 wrote:

I was in the March group. Yes, I went under review again, and my Decision Rendered date changed. I still got the acceptance letter from Dean Cornblatt. (For what it's worth, mine said something to the effect of "Sorry it took so long.")

gobears09

Postby gobears09 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:12 pm

pertristis wrote:
gobears09 wrote:

I was in the March group. Yes, I went under review again, and my Decision Rendered date changed. I still got the acceptance letter from Dean Cornblatt. (For what it's worth, mine said something to the effect of "Sorry it took so long.")

I also got the acceptance letter, just a week later, after I had logged into Admitted Students site and gotten over my initial freak out. Mine also said "thanks for your patience" haha.

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:27 pm

Just when I thought I was finished with status checkers...

::refreshes status checker::

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:29 pm

I just had an email transaction with a woman from GULC admissions office. She basically spelled out to me how they know they have a good response... basically, I needed it spelled out. The "good response" as written in the update emails was based not on lack of withdrawals (which doesn't really suggest anything on its own), but rather on seat deposits and signed commitments from admits. Again, she reiterated that this expectation they have will come to bear or not by May 3rd.
And she reiterated that there is the possibility of a few openings after the June 1st seat deposit (although I am not going to expect that to happen).
I will continue to hope, blindly. We would not be human if we were not to have hope. :?

MissLucky

Postby MissLucky » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:44 pm

this whole process is buggin me out. whatevs. they gonna have mad openings and i know it. regular WLers tended to hear stuff in august too according to last yr.

SummerLaw

Postby SummerLaw » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:04 pm

tommytahoe wrote:I just had an email transaction with a woman from GULC admissions office. She basically spelled out to me how they know they have a good response... basically, I needed it spelled out. The "good response" as written in the update emails was based not on lack of withdrawals (which doesn't really suggest anything on its own), but rather on seat deposits and signed commitments from admits. Again, she reiterated that this expectation they have will come to bear or not by May 3rd.
And she reiterated that there is the possibility of a few openings after the June 1st seat deposit (although I am not going to expect that to happen).
I will continue to hope, blindly. We would not be human if we were not to have hope. :?

Bummer. Guess we all need to hear it cold and hard! Don't most people double deposit though? I thought that was fairly common practice.

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:14 pm

SummerLaw wrote:
tommytahoe wrote:I just had an email transaction with a woman from GULC admissions office. She basically spelled out to me how they know they have a good response... basically, I needed it spelled out. The "good response" as written in the update emails was based not on lack of withdrawals (which doesn't really suggest anything on its own), but rather on seat deposits and signed commitments from admits. Again, she reiterated that this expectation they have will come to bear or not by May 3rd.

Bummer. Guess we all need to hear it cold and hard! Don't most people double deposit though? I thought that was fairly common practice.

well, I imagine double deposits do happen, yes. This tells me that they have their expectations in spite of their overall experience with multiple depositors. This also has me wondering how much more often multiple deposits have been occurring this year. I read somewhere that applicants are up a little bit this year, but applications are up by a significant amount, which suggests much more withdrawal activity in general. But I can't remember where I read that.

iamtaw

Postby iamtaw » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:54 pm

under review!! 4/15

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:58 pm

iamtaw wrote:under review!! 4/15

Nice, dude! I'm still at my original DR, but you can bet I'm refreshing like a motherfather.

dk8

Postby dk8 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:59 pm

Looks like you're in man. You gonna go to GULC for sure or are you waiting on anyone else?

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:00 pm

oh shit, me too. hmmmm

Xizenta

Postby Xizenta » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:05 pm

taw/waterman

which e-mails did you guys get? the thursday one?

nesnejnes06

Postby nesnejnes06 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:10 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:

oh shit, me too. hmmmm

+1

Xizenta

Postby Xizenta » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:16 pm

nesnejnes06 wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:

oh shit, me too. hmmmm

+1

You got it also nes? Damn. I wish i knew if waterman got the original e-mail on thursday.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:18 pm

I didn't. I got an e-mail on Monday. I'm Part time only, so that might make a difference.

iamtaw

Postby iamtaw » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:28 pm

dk8 wrote:

Looks like you're in man. You gonna go to GULC for sure or are you waiting on anyone else?

if I get in there is a 95% chance I'll go.
taw/waterman

which e-mails did you guys get? the thursday one?

I was thursday

shadow.

Postby shadow. » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:43 pm

Last edited by shadow. on Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”