GULC 2010 WL'ers

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Encyclopedia Brown

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:34 pm

nesnejnes06 wrote:the first letter sent out indicated that there were still spots left. it was sent out to a very small group--i have only counted 5 of us on tls. the second letter was sent out to the people on the spwl who are not in the new (even smaller) group, and indicated that no spots were left. the third letter was the same as the second only it was sent out to individuals on the pwl.

we've been able to discern all of this because no one seems to have gotten any two letters.

so it now looks as if there is a fourth group above every other group:
SSPWL
SPWL
PWL
WL

I feel pretty lucky to have been culled from the PWL into the SSPWL, if that is indeed what has happened. My first thought was that they were trying to use their remaining spots to push their 75th % LSAT up (taw and I would fit that profile), but nes, you've blown that theory out of the water.

nesnejnes06

Postby nesnejnes06 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:38 pm

Encyclopedia Brown wrote:
nesnejnes06 wrote:the first letter sent out indicated that there were still spots left. it was sent out to a very small group--i have only counted 5 of us on tls. the second letter was sent out to the people on the spwl who are not in the new (even smaller) group, and indicated that no spots were left. the third letter was the same as the second only it was sent out to individuals on the pwl.

we've been able to discern all of this because no one seems to have gotten any two letters.

so it now looks as if there is a fourth group above every other group:
SSPWL
SPWL
PWL
WL

I feel pretty lucky to have been culled from the PWL into the SSPWL, if that is indeed what has happened. My first thought was that they were trying to use their remaining spots to push their 75th % LSAT up (taw and I would fit that profile), but nes, you've blown that theory out of the water.

i sit right at their 75th, so if they are expecting an influx below that number, then i might also fit the bill. so far, i've heard of 3 171s, you and taw @ 75 & 77, and one score lower than the 25th. important to remember that those are still pretty high numbers for gtown.

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:53 pm

That EB, as a member of the PWL, was sent the very nice email poses an incongruity. My email says that they expect few, if any, openings for those from the PWL. But it can't be a simple categorical evaluation, as not all PWLers received the same email. So there is at last some amount of distinction going on within that list, and it leads one to wonder whether the "few, if any" have already been accounted for, even if they haven't been made an offer yet.

It is possible that they sent the "few, if any" email to make sure that by May 10, only the hardiest WLers remain. If they do make offers to the PWL and WL, I imagine they will want those applicants to be 100% committed to GT. I am thinking about this way too much.

SummerLaw

Postby SummerLaw » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:03 pm

It is pretty much the only thing I have been able to think about since 4:00 when I got the email. Has anyone found evidence in old threads of similar emails? It'd be nice to hear that they always send notices like this! I dont know how to navigate this site very well but I will try to do some digging.

autarkh

Postby autarkh » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:07 pm

Sorry if I missed this, but what's the criterion for SSPWL? The inclusion of "very few openings" in the email?

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:14 pm

SummerLaw wrote:It is pretty much the only thing I have been able to think about since 4:00 when I got the email. Has anyone found evidence in old threads of similar emails? It'd be nice to hear that they always send notices like this! I dont know how to navigate this site very well but I will try to do some digging.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I'm gonna look through last year's too, out of curiosity.

SummerLaw

Postby SummerLaw » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:29 pm

Ok this is what I found from 2009:

Sent April 28

Dear XXXX,

Good morning from Georgetown. I’m writing to you today to give you an update. The Committee is about to begin the process of looking at our waiting list candidates. As I sit here today, it looks like there will be a small handful of openings.

Our first deposit is due May 1, and, with extension requests, we will know for sure whether we have any openings by May 11 at the latest. However, the Committee will be meeting tomorrow, and it is possible that they will be extending offers. Even if you have already been in touch with us, it would be helpful if you would respond at lawwaitlist@law.georgetown.edu<mailto:lawwaitlist@law.georgetown.edu> as soon as possible to let us know of the extent of your interest in attending Georgetown and any updates in your law school plans, including any upcoming deadlines.

Please note that if spaces do become available, there will be a short time frame for you to make your enrollment decision. Alternatively, if you would like us to remove your application from consideration, I would appreciate your letting us know that as well.

Thank you again for your continued interest in Georgetown and for your patience with our process. We will be back in touch with you by the afternoon of May 11.

Best,

Andrew Cornblatt

Dean of Admissions
Georgetown University Law Center

Good morning from Georgetown. I’m writing to you today to give you an update. As you are aware from earlier communications, our Committee on Admissions had identified you as one of our stronger applicants and placed you within a special group.

Our first deposit is due May 1, and, with extension requests, we will know for sure whether we have any openings by May 11 at the latest. However, the Committee will be meeting tomorrow, and it is possible that they will be extending offers. As part of the select group, you are one of the people that the Committee would like to consider first for the spaces.

Most likely, you have already been in touch with Sophia Sim or Alison Spada, your primary contact. I apologize for the repetitiveness, but, as the summer process begins, it would be helpful if you would respond tolawwaitlist@law.georgetown.edu <mailto:lawwaitlist@law.georgetown.edu>. Please let us know of the extent of your interest in attending Georgetown and any updates in your law school plans, including any upcoming deadlines. Please note that if spaces do become available, there will be a short time frame for you to make your enrollment decision. Alternatively, if you would like us to remove your application from consideration, I would appreciate your letting us know that as well.

Thank you again for your continued interest in Georgetown and for your patience with our process. We will be back in touch with you by the afternoon of May 11 at the latest.

I think this link will pull the thread:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=70384&start=25

Xizenta

Postby Xizenta » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:43 pm

Guys, I was one of the ones that got the first e-mail on Thursday... I don't think it's as positive as you guys are making it out to be. For one thing, I applied to both the PT and FT programs, and the e-mail seemed like they were just trying to convince me to take PT.

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:47 pm

Nice work dude (or dudette)! I got distracted by a glass of chardonnay.
That first letter looks to be a modified version of what I received, only more optimistic. They seem to be able to predict this year's openings based on info gained prior to the seat deposit deadline withdrawals. I suppose they've done this before, so it's not a stretch. Still, it remains to be seen how many admitted students fly the coop in the next two weeks-plus. We should hire a lobbyist. That would be priceless.

alirod12

Postby alirod12 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:48 pm

I just withdrew, hope that helps.

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:11 pm

Xizenta wrote:Guys, I was one of the ones that got the first e-mail on Thursday... I don't think it's as positive as you guys are making it out to be. For one thing, I applied to both the PT and FT programs, and the e-mail seemed like they were just trying to convince me to take PT.

I know. I got carried away, and forgot that reality awaited me when I got back. :roll:
Looks like they know what they're talking about.

I wonder how the yield works. I mean, theoretically, all admits could withdraw from a school. Does a school ever end up with a class size larger than their limit? Also, if their class size were, say, 500, and their original admits at 2,000, do we estimate that right around now, their yield is at 600? 1,200? I'd love to see the mechanism of the movement up close.

bluelovebug

Postby bluelovebug » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:14 pm

alirod12 wrote:I just withdrew, hope that helps.

+1

Got an email today that was essentially the same as the one Summerlaw found from last year (although it was slightly more optimistic) I was on the SPWL (whatever the hell that means). Decided to accept a scholly to Penn and withdrew my app this morning. Hope that helps somebody else in this thread, good luck to you all!

dk8

Postby dk8 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:03 pm

Xizenta wrote:Guys, I was one of the ones that got the first e-mail on Thursday... I don't think it's as positive as you guys are making it out to be. For one thing, I applied to both the PT and FT programs, and the e-mail seemed like they were just trying to convince me to take PT.

It seems they have sent alot of different e-mails.

dk8

Postby dk8 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:06 pm

autarkh wrote:Sorry if I missed this, but what's the criterion for SSPWL? The inclusion of "very few openings" in the email?

There isn't a formal SSPWL. Some people on the SPWL (and a couple on the PWL) got a letter last Thursday. The rest of the SPWL got one today. Then the rest of the PWL got a different letter later in the day.

mstich

Postby mstich » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:07 pm

Withdrew from SPWL today. Good luck to everyone else

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:33 pm

FWIW, it would hardly serve them well to send out an email that says they've had a lot of spots open up due to people not depositing, since it would basically make 'em look like pretty TTT. This email may mean absolutely nothing.

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:37 pm

stratocophic wrote:FWIW, it would hardly serve them well to send out an email that says they've had a lot of spots open up due to people not depositing, since it would basically make 'em look like pretty TTT. This email may mean absolutely nothing.

Then why send anything?

SummerLaw

Postby SummerLaw » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:44 pm

stratocophic wrote:FWIW, it would hardly serve them well to send out an email that says they've had a lot of spots open up due to people not depositing, since it would basically make 'em look like pretty TTT. This email may mean absolutely nothing.

Totally agree.

& They have to send something because they promised updates to everyone.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:50 pm

Encyclopedia Brown wrote:

Then why send anything?
I would guess that SummerLaw has the right of it; they're just covering their bases. Not saying that has to be the case, the extended ED they offered could easily have gotten them a much higher yield rate than in the past. I just think that there's a reason they have as many WLs and as much action on said WLs as they do. Their massive class size and position at the bottom of the T14 (not to mention reluctance to dole out $$$) probably make their cycles pretty volatile.

LawQs

Postby LawQs » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:57 pm

so how many ppl have gotten in since the very first email went out?

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:18 pm

SummerLaw wrote:

Totally agree.

& They have to send something because they promised updates to everyone.

Oh, I didn't know they promised updates. Welllll the update e-mails make a lot more sense now.

alfredjensen

Postby alfredjensen » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:24 pm

As a member of the SPWL, i was promised an update by may 3. the email that I received on thursday was, obviously, well before that deadline.

i was originally placed on the SPWL in late feb, and promised an update by march 22. I got the update exactly when promised, to the day.

given this incongruency, i believe that these updates are in fact honest evaluations of the state of the georgetown waitlist.

i also saw a significant difference between the first email and the second 2....

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:27 pm

LawQs wrote:so how many ppl have gotten in since the very first email went out?

If you mean the one last Thursday, I don't believe anybody has heard anything since then. And believe me, I'm sitting by the window with my eye on the mailbox as we speak.

iamtaw

Postby iamtaw » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:29 pm

My thinking was that they're not painting the most optimistic picture so that only those who are really interested in attending stick around on the waitlists.

Nothing in the mail today, though I'm in Madison, Wisconsin so I'd imagine that someone else would hear before I do

The last mass update I got on March 22nd did mention today as the latest for the next update. I hope we get something more substantial today.

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:36 pm

I would imagine the e-mails already sent out fall under the "next update" category. And I'm in FL, taw, so that might not be much better as far as mail speed... but then again, I'm still praying that there's even something I should be waiting for.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”