GULC 2010 WL'ers

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bwana73

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby bwana73 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:51 pm

I hate this wait list. Everyday I see people with lower numbers accepted.

ornbarn

Postby ornbarn » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:15 pm

Mattisgo wrote:Has anyone heard back from Sophia Sim in the last day or two?

Weird. My contact is Alison Spada, do you think it makes any difference (they might just have split it up)? Who knows!

elle

Postby elle » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:46 am

bwana73 wrote:I hate this wait list. Everyday I see people with lower numbers accepted.

me too. i guess they don't like the softs... I am not even on a 'preferred' waitlist

anyone have any idea what chances are of getting off reg WL are?

Lurkster

Postby Lurkster » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:25 am

Hey guys, preferred WL here, NOT special group. 3.12/176.

CG614

Postby CG614 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:51 am

CG614 wrote:I e-mailed them this:
"Dean Cornblatt and Admissions Committee,

First, I would like to thank you for placement on the Preferred Waiting List. I would like to affirm my strong interest in attending Georgetown Law. I have a few brief questions, if you would not mind answering them for me. To better ascertain my situation, can you please clarify the levels of the Waiting Lists? It is my understanding that there are three levels of Waiting Lists: Special Group on Preferred, Preferred, and Regular Waiting List. Is this correct? Two more questions, how many applications do you anticipate being on the Preferred Waiting List, and do you have an estimate of how many applicants may receive offers of admissions from this list, specifically? Thank you for your continued consideration and for your time in reviewing my questions. "

I will let you all know if I hear anything back. Just got into NYU today, so you may have one less on the Preferred WL to worry about. :D

Have to way out my options. Good luck all!

Got a response from Abigail Chung. Didn't really answer any of my questions, but did offer this line: "We go through all files in the event of an opening." To me, that means they go through Preferred and Regular for any openings. If that is the case, why even have a preferred?

tilghmab

Postby tilghmab » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:58 am

Withdrew from the preferred waiting list yesterday, 2/24.

Regarding the waitlist hierarchy, in previous cycles I have had classmates on the regular waiting list receive offers of admission while classmates on the preferred waiting list did not -- anecdotal, but maybe telling.

Shellbelle

Postby Shellbelle » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:29 pm

"special group" on the preferred waitlist as of this morning...anyone have any idea what # count that group is at?

split22

Postby split22 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:06 pm

"special" Preferred Waiting List.

178/3.7

This has got to be YP... right?

pertristis

Postby pertristis » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:20 pm

Special preferred waiting list as well: 177 / 3.42. YP or too many admits, already, I assume.

purell2

Postby purell2 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:26 pm

so many special preferred it seems.... significantly more than "20"

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:59 pm

Add me to the preferred (non-special) WL. PT 3.45/168. This one stung.

umichgrad

Postby umichgrad » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:06 pm

Oy, I'm on the totally-non-special regular WL. I guess I'm ok with that though, since I'm 3.4/167. Already sent 2 LOCI...guess I'll be sitting tight for a while.

unknownscholar

Postby unknownscholar » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:32 pm

umichgrad wrote:Oy, I'm on the totally-non-special regular WL. I guess I'm ok with that though, since I'm 3.4/167. Already sent 2 LOCI...guess I'll be sitting tight for a while.

+1

gilly

Postby gilly » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:07 pm

I'm also in the "special group" preferred waitlist. I emailed Sophia Sim Tuesday, but she hasn't responded, has else gotten anything from her?

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:55 pm

Encyclopedia Brown wrote:I'm on the standard preferred waitlist. GULC's one of my top two choices at this point, so I'd reaaally like to get picked off the WL. Visiting next week, following up with what I hope will be a strong LOCI. I'm guessing I won't be hearing anything for a few months, though.

Hey, I was just offered the "Normal" Preferred waitlist, and am frankly surprised (163/3.81). My PS may have had something to do with it, or my age (37).

Anyway, their email gave me a distinct, "we'll call you" impression, and that that would happen in May! But I want to send them a LOCI in the next few weeks, with updated transcript, volunteering work, etc.

Do I need to wait until May? I do not want to browbeat them and ignore their instructions.
Also, I have a strong phone manner. Is calling a good idea, rather than email?

Shlonster

Postby Shlonster » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:12 pm

gilly wrote:I'm also in the "special group" preferred waitlist. I emailed Sophia Sim Tuesday, but she hasn't responded, has else gotten anything from her?

Got an out of office reply from her, saying she'd be back on the 23rd. Probably has a truckload of emails to sort through. Haven't heard back.

edit: spelling.
Last edited by Shlonster on Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nowinGA

Postby nowinGA » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:41 pm

ornbarn wrote:
Mattisgo wrote:Has anyone heard back from Sophia Sim in the last day or two?

Weird. My contact is Alison Spada, do you think it makes any difference (they might just have split it up)? Who knows!

My contact is Alison Spada as well...for the "special group" preferred...

We will see!

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:18 am

azbio wrote:3.8, 163, applied PT. Regular WL here. To be honest, I'm surprised I made it this far, I was expecting a straight rejection. Good luck to everyone!

Me too bro. Exact same numbers, exact same shock response. Just goes to show that numbers almost always tell the story, but sometimes they just don't. Good luck!

memaha

Postby memaha » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:18 pm

Withdrew after getting a dream call from Faulk at UVA yesterday. Couldn't be more surprised!
Good luck to everyone still waiting!

nowinGA

Postby nowinGA » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:21 pm

I am so new to all of this...

Does anyone know if it is suggested...or frowned upon...that you send in any additional materials for consideration, once you have been wait listed. I am currently on the "special group" preferred, and am wondering if I should send something else in. I have a couple other one page write ups that I used for other apps that I like...but I don't want to be annoying either.

I am also trying to decide if I should tell them I am going to be in town in order to try and get an interview. Does that work/happen? I could go there if need be...

Thoughts?

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:33 pm

nowinGA wrote:I am so new to all of this...

Does anyone know if it is suggested...or frowned upon...that you send in any additional materials for consideration, once you have been wait listed. I am currently on the "special group" preferred, and am wondering if I should send something else in. I have a couple other one page write ups that I used for other apps that I like...but I don't want to be annoying either.

I am also trying to decide if I should tell them I am going to be in town in order to try and get an interview. Does that work/happen? I could go there if need be...

Thoughts?

I'd really like to know this too. I mean, general protocol for schools overall, but more so for GULC. In particular the special Preferreds are a very select group, and unsolicited contact from them may not be frowned upon. We regular Preferreds are told that we will be contacted in May.
I also will find it particularly difficult NOT to send them a letter in late March telling them what I have been up to since January, transcript update, and a blurb about why I love their school (didn't do that in the PS). I do not want to browbeat them with ingratiating begging, but waiting till May will be TOUGH indeed.

If anybody has empirical knowledge of the best strategy for the "special" group and the "non-special" group would be great!
memaha wrote:Withdrew after getting a dream call from Faulk at UVA yesterday. Couldn't be more surprised!
Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Good for you memaha, and good for us too! 8)

mrm2083

Postby mrm2083 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:47 pm

Any responses from Ms. Sim?

Scarletlady

Postby Scarletlady » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:27 pm

tommytahoe wrote:
azbio wrote:3.8, 163, applied PT. Regular WL here. To be honest, I'm surprised I made it this far, I was expecting a straight rejection. Good luck to everyone!

Me too bro. Exact same numbers, exact same shock response. Just goes to show that numbers almost always tell the story, but sometimes they just don't. Good luck!

Did either of you ED for the PT? I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a WL spot, my numbers are a little lower than yours though.

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:53 pm

Scarletlady wrote:
tommytahoe wrote:

Did either of you ED for the PT? I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a WL spot, my numbers are a little lower than yours though.

I did not. Indeed, I assumed then, and now, that ED was not available since I applied in the first week of January. Plus, I checked the "both" box for full-/part-time —which makes my (regular) Preferred Waitlist all the more remarkable. I mean, I am one big FAT OUTLIER on the LSN graph!
They didn't mention anything about FT/PT in the email, but, as I understand it, they reserve the right to offer acceptance in either capacity. So, while I'd jump at either opportunity, that is a bit of a curious sword dangling over my head...

Good luck!

nowinGA

Postby nowinGA » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:32 am

Hey WL'ers...

Does anyone know if they truly wait until, for example, March 22nd and then accept WL'ers for all of the open spots? Or do they gradually, as people with draw or decline, accept WL'ers one by one to fill open spots...?

To put it another way, should I be anxious every day that I might hear something, or should I just expect to wait until 3/22 or so?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”