GULC 2010 WL'ers

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
SeriouslyOmg
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 6:08 pm

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby SeriouslyOmg » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:58 pm

come on - let's be honest.

facts:

1) variations in language are intentional. gulc spent weeks deciding on whom to write what and reviewing apps. therefore, reading things into the wording is what wording is for. it's called semantics.

2) the select group is the group they will look into first now, obviously. stop keeping the nonselect group's hopes up - there IS a difference between the groups.

3) good luck to both groups, but the nonselect group should assume they are out.

User avatar
tommytahoe
Posts: 548
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:46 pm

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby tommytahoe » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:10 pm

I agree, though I belong to the "non-select" group. If I get an offer at all, it would only be in the final one or two weeks before matriculation, very few remaining folks on the WL (or willing to move to DC), and they just need a seat to fill. Otherwise, next year is my best shot. Looks like I'll be going to King Hall anyway.

shaka
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:46 pm

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby shaka » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:38 am

I disagree - your reasoning is inconsistent with the fact that multiple posters on this thread alone have received the "select group" email despite being on the regular waitlist. Combined with the language in the email that suggests that if you were indeed on a select group you would have had prior knowledge of it, it would appear that the semantic difference is insignificant.

Multiple posters who are on the regular waitlist also received the "select group" email. Another poster on this thread received admission just recently off of the regular waitlist. The only discernible fact is that few chances remain and will be filled according to the needs of GULC's desired class makeup, regardless of which waitlist the applicant is placed.

User avatar
tommytahoe
Posts: 548
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:46 pm

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby tommytahoe » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:52 am

shaka wrote:I disagree - your reasoning is inconsistent with the fact that multiple posters on this thread alone have received the "select group" email despite being on the regular waitlist. Combined with the language in the email that suggests that if you were indeed on a select group you would have had prior knowledge of it, it would appear that the semantic difference is insignificant.

Multiple posters who are on the regular waitlist also received the "select group" email. Another poster on this thread received admission just recently off of the regular waitlist. The only discernible fact is that few chances remain and will be filled according to the needs of GULC's desired class makeup, regardless of which waitlist the applicant is placed.


I'm not sure the other poster was making any conclusions about what we like to call Regular, PWL, or SPWL waitlisters. I think the point was that it is safe to go on the divisions the admissions office created when writing two kinds of emails back on June 9th. I think the fact that the email refers to the applicant's "knowing" they were on a select group must be seen as an oversight by the GULC office. If I were someone who received this "select group" email while also being a Regular waitlister, I would still be inclined to believe I am in a "select group," moving forward, in spite of the fact their assessment of how "special" I used to be was inaccurate.

It seems that what they most recently emailed is the best indicator of what the school cares about moving forward.
Besides, I doubt more than a few people get an offer between now and August.

shaka
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:46 pm

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby shaka » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:12 pm

I understand what you're saying TT, but I am not sure on what basis you can take the "select group" at face value but discount the "as you already know" part as simple oversight. If, as the previous poster argued, that semantics are important and that GULC spends 'weeks' crafting their correspondence, then I would find it hard to believe that they would take the time to put the prior knowledge wording in at all.

Anyhow, this debate is a bit silly because we are all speculating freely. My only point was simply that admission hopes are dim for all waitlisters alike, but that if spots do open up, they can go to regular waitlisters who never received the "select group" email.

Best of luck to all!

User avatar
tommytahoe
Posts: 548
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:46 pm

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby tommytahoe » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:30 pm

shaka wrote:I understand what you're saying TT, but I am not sure on what basis you can take the "select group" at face value but discount the "as you already know" part as simple oversight. If, as the previous poster argued, that semantics are important and that GULC spends 'weeks' crafting their correspondence, then I would find it hard to believe that they would take the time to put the prior knowledge wording in at all.

Anyhow, this debate is a bit silly because we are all speculating freely. My only point was simply that admission hopes are dim for all waitlisters alike, but that if spots do open up, they can go to regular waitlisters who never received the "select group" email.

Best of luck to all!


Fair point, bolded. There must be some other special aspect of these normally "regular" applicants that we have overlooked. Maybe they are very good at poker ? :) Whatever the reason is (and let's just create a rational one here), and however rigorously crafted, they sent them only to some people, that's all I'm saying. My email on June 9th was a regular ordinary one, and while I never say never, I have been given no positive indication why they would seek me out for admission.

Yes, silly. This is what I do on Saturday mornings, 9:30 PT :roll:

User avatar
SummerLaw
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:23 pm

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby SummerLaw » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:32 pm

Just got the final email... ouch

Anyone else?

vmmf
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:55 pm

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby vmmf » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:34 pm

I did. I was on the preferred waitlist. Oh well, WUSTL it is for me. I just signed an apartment lease last week.

tfc7x
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby tfc7x » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:34 pm

SummerLaw wrote:Just got the final email... ouch

Anyone else?


me too... the dream is over

User avatar
SilverE2
Posts: 931
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:04 pm

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby SilverE2 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:34 pm

Same here.

PirateCap'n
Posts: 747
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby PirateCap'n » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:35 pm

SummerLaw wrote:Just got the final email... ouch

Anyone else?


Got it too. I was on the regular waitlist.

User avatar
SummerLaw
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:23 pm

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby SummerLaw » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:36 pm

I was PWL... that final email came MUCH earlier than I expected. Pretty surprised actually.

savesthedayajb
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:21 pm

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby savesthedayajb » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:37 pm

Im SPWL and haven't received it yet. Expecting it any minute.

User avatar
SilverE2
Posts: 931
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:04 pm

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby SilverE2 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:40 pm

SummerLaw wrote:I was PWL... that final email came MUCH earlier than I expected. Pretty surprised actually.


Same here. I don't think they released everyone, they'll need a waitlist to go to in case people don't show up the first day...unless maybe they WAY overenrolled.

MissLucky
Posts: 903
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:48 pm

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby MissLucky » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:42 pm

this. sucks. more motivation to OWN the next LSAT and get into a higher ranked school next cycle :) good luck everyone - we all deserve the best.

AdamatUCF
Posts: 173
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:34 am

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby AdamatUCF » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:44 pm

Even though I got in at Cornell, and it's a great school, it still hurt to get that email just now.

GULC was my first choice, and I'm sad it ended this way.

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby stratocophic » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:46 pm

savesthedayajb wrote:Im SPWL and haven't received it yet. Expecting it any minute.
Same, but I don't think it's coming... or any positive news, for that matter. Looks like we'll be playing the part of the rearguard. No harm in hanging out, I suppose :?

User avatar
SummerLaw
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:23 pm

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby SummerLaw » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:47 pm

Yeah definitely would have preferred the fade out up until the first day of class...

savesthedayajb
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:21 pm

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby savesthedayajb » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:48 pm

stratocophic wrote:
savesthedayajb wrote:Im SPWL and haven't received it yet. Expecting it any minute.
Same, but I don't think it's coming... or any positive news, for that matter. Looks like we'll be playing the part of the rearguard. No harm in hanging out, I suppose :?


Yeah something I can definitely live with. I'm honored to still be hanging on with my numbers. thanks GULC!

MissLucky
Posts: 903
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:48 pm

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby MissLucky » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:49 pm

SummerLaw wrote:Yeah definitely would have preferred the fade out up until the first day of class...


hahaha....where are you headed? or are you waiting next cycle out?

User avatar
ryguy
Posts: 328
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:13 am

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby ryguy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:05 pm

Haven't got THE email yet either.

rjfried
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:41 pm

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby rjfried » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:22 pm

I got the email today too. Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear!

tram988
Posts: 1161
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:51 pm

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby tram988 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:03 pm

Wow they kept me. Craziness. Sorry to those released.

Jamaica88
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 9:44 pm

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby Jamaica88 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:39 pm

what exactly did this email say???

User avatar
MURPH
Posts: 854
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:20 am

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby MURPH » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:04 pm

There is nothing in my inbox. Whew. Good luck to all those who are going to other schools.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], blackpi, Google Adsense [Bot], SweetTort and 8 guests