GULC 2010 WL'ers

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
vmmf

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby vmmf » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:35 pm

Split5 wrote:Vmmmmmmmf

LOL

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:36 pm

???

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:39 pm

tommytahoe wrote:

???

I think that's frustration vocalized and then typed out.

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:44 pm

SilverE2 wrote:
tommytahoe wrote:

???

I think that's frustration vocalized and then typed out.

tough onomatopoeia...

vmmf

Postby vmmf » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:15 pm

looks like there will be no update today after all

MissLucky

Postby MissLucky » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:26 pm

what? didn't they promise up an update today? i feel betrayed. wtf.

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:35 pm

MissLucky wrote:what? didn't they promise up an update today? i feel betrayed. wtf.

Indeed. Very uncharacteristic. I'm going on a long bike ride now.

sickofthelappprocess

Postby sickofthelappprocess » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:38 pm

I was perplexed when Georgetown said they didn't rank kids on the wait list and then clearly grouped kids in platforms of preference/ ranks. I was even more perplexed by the fact that they get around the ranking issue by pulling 1 or 2 kids every so often from the other lists. I was downright confused by their decision to ask prospective students that applied to the FT, if they were interested in PT when there was a list a mile long of PT wait list applicants hoping for a spot....

I understand it's all about numbers and scores, and quotas and that an applicant is a file and not a person the majority of the time for many admissions offices. However, let's not forget what wait list means. It is a student who the school would like to accept and deems qualified (hence not getting rejected)... they might not be as strong as the accepted applicant for whatever qualities the school is looking for... but they are deemed worthy enough to potentially be given the pass.

Promising an update and not delivering on it- is shocking and really disrespectful to the wait list candidates and their families. Georgetown has no obligation to get in touch with its applicants, but if it gives its word... you would think they would want to honor it. I truly have lost the capability to understand what is going on in that office. If we are supposed to feel better because they tweeted they were consumed by the wait list process but are heading out to the Nats game- it doesn't, because they didn't honor their word.

Tweek

Postby Tweek » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:20 pm

Underpromise, overdeliver... basic stuff.

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:24 pm

sickofthelappprocess wrote:I was perplexed when Georgetown said they didn't rank kids on the wait list and then clearly grouped kids in platforms of preference/ ranks. I was even more perplexed by the fact that they get around the ranking issue by pulling 1 or 2 kids every so often from the other lists. I was downright confused by their decision to ask prospective students that applied to the FT, if they were interested in PT when there was a list a mile long of PT wait list applicants hoping for a spot....

I understand it's all about numbers and scores, and quotas and that an applicant is a file and not a person the majority of the time for many admissions offices. However, let's not forget what wait list means. It is a student who the school would like to accept and deems qualified (hence not getting rejected)... they might not be as strong as the accepted applicant for whatever qualities the school is looking for... but they are deemed worthy enough to potentially be given the pass.

Promising an update and not delivering on it- is shocking and really disrespectful to the wait list candidates and their families. Georgetown has no obligation to get in touch with its applicants, but if it gives its word... you would think they would want to honor it. I truly have lost the capability to understand what is going on in that office. If we are supposed to feel better because they tweeted they were consumed by the wait list process but are heading out to the Nats game- it doesn't, because they didn't honor their word.

I agree, there is no defense for not giving us the update. And, even when an applicant vainly tries to ease the burden by saying that this is still better than most schools, or that getting within one day of a promised day is good enough, it's still a goal failed on its own terms. So, in the strictest sense, it's a broken promise, more or less defenseless.
I also agree that the way they stratify the waitlists does suggest some de facto ranking, even if that ranking only forms itself in nebulous ways inside the grey matter of the GULC Adcomms. But preferences do establish themselves, I'm sure, even if an outright rankings list never materializes. I am smart enough to know which movies I'd most like to rent next time I go online to NetFlix, even if I didn't end up putting them in a queue.

However, the good folks at GULC would disagree with you about your comments about quotas. Or, that is, if they do use quotas in any unspoken way, they dare not say so for fear of crossing Supreme Court precedent. I don't think they just look at files, as opposed to people, however. Well, no, they don't have us in for interviews, or read our blogs, or play poker with us on Wednesdays, so they don't know us as people in that way. But they and many others would want to say that the "file" they look at is looked at for its reflection of the individual beyond the numbers. I know that in many ways that never really occurs. Schools are slave to the USNWR Rankings, some far more than others. But when it comes down to 2,000 people with 168/3.7, for example, I guarantee the person inside the application is what they are looking for. It may be a facsimile of our real selves —and unfortunately may be won by those best able to express/sell themselves in writing or who have been more strategic and demonstrative in the extracurricular "softs" they did prior to applying— but I would argue that they are really looking to find individuals, at least a little bit, and not just numbers. And, even if they betrayed their own particular needs, and went with another applicant they deem worthy enough to attend, there would be another 1,000 or so applicants standing there (incl. the now-overlooked applicant) ready to sing the same song of why they were overlooked when they are perfectly qualified. Just sayin...

sorry about the long post... exercise has me pumped.

Lurkster

Postby Lurkster » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:12 pm

GULC doesn't owe any of you anything. Stop whining. This is coming from someone riding the WL just like the rest of you.

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:20 pm

Lurkster wrote:GULC doesn't owe any of you anything. Stop whining. This is coming from someone riding the WL just like the rest of you.

You can all thank Lurkster —he has just provided the needed injection of WL sympathy, so that you guys don't have to.

xcountryjunkie

Postby xcountryjunkie » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:28 pm

Lurkster wrote:xcountryjunkie was on special preferred. congrats xcj.

Actually, I was on the regular WL. I guess I just fit whatever function they wanted the spot to have. Thanks for the congrats though! From the email from GULC, it does appear that there were multiple offers but that there were only a "very few" going out right now.

Lurkster

Postby Lurkster » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:56 pm

xcountryjunkie wrote:

Actually, I was on the regular WL. I guess I just fit whatever function they wanted the spot to have. Thanks for the congrats though! From the email from GULC, it does appear that there were multiple offers but that there were only a "very few" going out right now.

I stand corrected. I looked into your post history, because I remember you being held after interviews like I was, and it said special preferred. Mustve been a quote.

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:56 pm

Lurkster wrote:GULC doesn't owe any of you anything. Stop whining. This is coming from someone riding the WL just like the rest of you.

STFU, it's easy to tell people to stop whining whenever someone complains, it's a cheap shot just to hit someone when they have a gripe. I bet you'd be annoyed too.

If they promised they would tell people something at a certain time and they didn't, it's a broken promise and it's a legitimate complaint. Just because we are being judged by these institutions doesn't mean we don't get to be treated with respect...and I'm not even on GULC's WL.

Lurkster

Postby Lurkster » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:01 am

tommytahoe wrote:

You can all thank Lurkster —he has just provided the needed injection of WL sympathy, so that you guys don't have to.

Sorry to come in here and spoil the fun, admittedly I'm a bit po'd about the fact that I'm not likely to get off of this thing. The fact is, the deck is stacked against all of us. If you are waiting on GULC to try to slip into the t14, you are likely to be let down.

Remember -- we are getting pretty close to the fall again. I know that I'm going to start retooling my application now, to try to get it in first thing next cycle. Everyone waiting in this thread should probably be doing the same.

Ride the WL out, and if you get lucky, then great! However, your expectations should be tempered in accordance with reality. The reality for almost all of us will be no GULC this fall.

xcountryjunkie

Postby xcountryjunkie » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:03 am

Lurkster wrote:
xcountryjunkie wrote:

I stand corrected. I looked into your post history, because I remember you being held after interviews like I was, and it said special preferred. Mustve been a quote.

Probably was a quote or something.. I'm not sure without seeing it.

Haven't heard from you in a while... Hope this process has treated you well!

Lurkster

Postby Lurkster » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:06 am

Regionality wrote:

STFU, it's easy to tell people to stop whining whenever someone complains, it's a cheap shot just to hit someone when they have a gripe. I bet you'd be annoyed too.

If they promised they would tell people something at a certain time and they didn't, it's a broken promise and it's a legitimate complaint. Just because we are being judged by these institutions doesn't mean we don't get to be treated with respect...and I'm not even on GULC's WL.

I'm disappointed that I didn't get an email today too. The thing is, it's a form email that probably just tell us all to sit tight for another month or whatever. Life after the email will be the same as it was before.

Lurkster

Postby Lurkster » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:10 am

xcountryjunkie wrote:
Lurkster wrote:
xcountryjunkie wrote:

It hasn't gone well for me at all. Probably looking at applying again next year at this point. Since we were in the "held after interview" club together, it does make me happy that you got in. I'll keep you posted if I hear anything positive, but I don't have my hopes up.

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:48 am

Lurkster wrote:
xcountryjunkie wrote:
Lurkster wrote:
xcountryjunkie wrote:Actually, I was on the regular WL. I guess I just fit whatever function they wanted the spot to have. Thanks for the congrats though! From the email from GULC, it does appear that there were multiple offers but that there were only a "very few" going out right now.

It hasn't gone well for me at all. Probably looking at applying again next year at this point. Since we were in the "held after interview" club together, it does make me happy that you got in. I'll keep you posted if I hear anything positive, but I don't have my hopes up.

You're absolutely right. Making sure we all have firmly realistic (ie, bleak) outlook of our future vis-a-vis the GULC waitlist, is probably the best thing we can do for ourselves. Accept, adapt, move on.
And for those like me, with a re-apply Plan B in the works if all my waitlists don't come through for me by the end of July, then that advice is even more valuable.

But of course, that is far different from saying "Stop whining," which is probably why I and regionality didn't warm to the fairly brusque sentiment.

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:00 am

Lurkster wrote:
Regionality wrote:

I'm disappointed that I didn't get an email today too. The thing is, it's a form email that probably just tell us all to sit tight for another month or whatever. Life after the email will be the same as it was before.

Different argument entirely.

DrPlacebo

Postby DrPlacebo » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:12 am

It's not even really the fact that they didn't e-mail today that bothers me. Sometimes an offices just gets swamped. But what makes me so annoyed is that Mr. Cornblatt (sp?) was out at a ballgame while we were waiting for an update that he promised today. Even a perfunctory, generic e-mail would have fulfilled that promise.

aiden127

Postby aiden127 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:55 am

The Georgetown Law Admissions Representative told me this morning that the Committee is currently working on Waitlist decisions and will be sending out an additional update next week.

savesthedayajb

Postby savesthedayajb » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:28 pm

aiden127 wrote:The Georgetown Law Admissions Representative told me this morning that the Committee is currently working on Waitlist decisions and will be sending out an additional update next week.

Thanks for finding out.

MissLucky

Postby MissLucky » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:41 pm

aiden127 wrote:The Georgetown Law Admissions Representative told me this morning that the Committee is currently working on Waitlist decisions and will be sending out an additional update next week.

WHAT?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”