GULC 2010 WL'ers

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tommytahoe

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby tommytahoe » Mon May 24, 2010 3:45 pm

Encyclopedia Brown wrote:
tommytahoe wrote:
jks289 wrote:Thanks guys!! I'm planning on lurking in this thread to see how it plays out for all of you.

Congrats, jks, and take it easy. The avatar hot quotient just dipped a little :cry:

What, flustered five-o'clock shadows aren't sexy anymore?

Oh, I love me some stubble! If January Jones had stubble, I wouldn't be able to control myself!

lawapps0502

Postby lawapps0502 » Tue May 25, 2010 1:58 pm

anyone have any new information from the admin office today?

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Tue May 25, 2010 3:07 pm

lawapps0502 wrote:anyone have any new information from the admin office today?

I received an e-mail yesterday letting me know that they might have openings in the part-time program, and asking if I was still interested in both the part-time and full-time programs.

MissLucky

Postby MissLucky » Tue May 25, 2010 3:53 pm

Thirteen wrote:

I received an e-mail yesterday letting me know that they might have openings in the part-time program, and asking if I was still interested in both the part-time and full-time programs.

UGH. what? are you on PWL? why don't I ever get theessseee

lawapps0502

Postby lawapps0502 » Tue May 25, 2010 3:56 pm

MissLucky wrote:
Thirteen wrote:

did anyone get an email about the FT program?

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Tue May 25, 2010 3:57 pm

MissLucky wrote:
Thirteen wrote:

Nope. Regular waitlist.

MissLucky

Postby MissLucky » Tue May 25, 2010 4:09 pm

Thirteen wrote:
MissLucky wrote:
Thirteen wrote:

Nope. Regular waitlist.

Me too! grrr. Now I'm just doubly anxious/feeling ignored...

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Tue May 25, 2010 4:10 pm

Thirteen wrote:
MissLucky wrote:
Thirteen wrote:

Nope. Regular waitlist.

You interested?

savesthedayajb

Postby savesthedayajb » Tue May 25, 2010 4:13 pm

This is good news! At least we know there is at least one opening.

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Wed May 26, 2010 2:43 pm

MissLucky wrote:
Thirteen wrote:

Tell me about it. I solicited the on the idea of PT just two weeks ago. Clearly, I am not a compelling salesman. I am a member of the NRPPWL (Not Really Preferred Preferred Wait List). :|

lateforthesky16

Postby lateforthesky16 » Sat May 29, 2010 7:06 pm

any updates? I know a couple/few people withdrew recently after getting accepted off the Cornell reserve list...

lawapps0502

Postby lawapps0502 » Sun May 30, 2010 10:55 am

lateforthesky16 wrote:any updates? I know a couple/few people withdrew recently after getting accepted off the Cornell reserve list...

I haven't heard anything but maybe other people have.

lawapps0502

Postby lawapps0502 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:04 am

I think today is the second deposit deadline. did anyone get an email update from the admission's office?

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:17 am

lawapps0502 wrote:I think today is the second deposit deadline. did anyone get an email update from the admission's office?

We all will be among the very first to hear about if they do. I'm not expecting to hear anything until June 8, absent an offer of admission.

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:37 pm

And "Anxiety Week" begins again.

This is awful, it's like waiting for LSAT scores over and over and over again.

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:53 pm

SilverE2 wrote:And "Anxiety Week" begins again.

You know, I'm not sure how the June process works, but I imagine that they might make only a few offers this time around, tops. Before, there was movement b/c admits had just been accepted elsewhere, and they had been holding on to multiple offers. May 1st was asking to see their hand.
Now, it's not a matter of people just now being given an initial offer of admission, b/c we're into June now. I imagine the main reason any withdrawals occur would be b/c (a) admits STILL have had trouble deciding between GULC and school X, and now they FINALLY went with school X, or (b) admits got in off a waitlist at, say, Penn or NYU, and GULC failed to make enough of a $$ lure to compel them to stay.

Is that how the mechanism works for this June 8 process, do you guys think?

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:12 pm

tommytahoe wrote:

You know, I'm not sure how the June process works, but I imagine that they might make only a few offers this time around, tops. Before, there was movement b/c admits had just been accepted elsewhere, and they had been holding on to multiple offers. May 1st was asking to see their hand.
Now, it's not a matter of people just now being given an initial offer of admission, b/c we're into June now. I imagine the main reason any withdrawals occur would be b/c (a) admits STILL have had trouble deciding between GULC and school X, and now they FINALLY went with school X, or (b) admits got in off a waitlist at, say, Penn or NYU, and GULC failed to make enough of a $$ lure to compel them to stay.

I don't know, I was thinking the opposite, that they would make quite a few offers. For example for myself, I made the 1st deposit at BU which was only $200. I was pretty sure I didn't want to attend but wanted to secure a spot just in case I changed my mind. But I withdrew a few days before the second deposit which was $600 or $700. I assume other people have done the same thing, making deposits at maybe 3 or 4 schools and then narrowing it down before the 2nd deposit which usually tends to be more money.

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:17 pm

SilverE2 wrote:
tommytahoe wrote:

I don't know, I was thinking the opposite, that they would make quite a few offers. For example for myself, I made the 1st deposit at BU which was only $200. I was pretty sure I didn't want to attend but wanted to secure a spot just in case I changed my mind. But I withdrew a few days before the second deposit which was $600 or $700. I assume other people have done the same thing, making deposits at maybe 3 or 4 schools and then narrowing it down before the 2nd deposit which usually tends to be more money.

Wow, that's a LOT of deposits. Well, to the extent that that is true (and I'm not saying that I outright don't believe you), then yeah, I could see how many admits would still have a couple deposits out there, and have yet to finally pull the trigger —maybe b/c of indecision, looking for more scholly $$, waiting for WL offer even better than the two deposits, or all three of those scenarios.

Still, I am the outlier of all outliers. I keep my hopes smartly lowered. :)

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:20 pm

SilverE2 wrote:
tommytahoe wrote:

I wish I could afford to be that indecisive.

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:20 pm

SilverE2 wrote:
tommytahoe wrote:

I think people make deposits at schools for many reasons where they subsequently will be withdrawing at the 2nd deposit deadline, and maybe even more so ITE:

1) They need more time to visit the schools
2) They are waiting for financial aid/merit scholarship information that is slow to come (more important in ITE)
3) They are reserving a spot and expecting/hoping/counting on (and eventually do) getting off a waitlist (more likely for people to play this game with so much riding on which school they go to, ITE)
4) They are deciding whether law school is the choice they want to make this year at all (some people have good jobs that they'd be leaving to attend law school, and it's even riskier to go back to school ITE)
5) They need to make multiple deposits at different schools because their spouse/significant other needs to set up a life for themselves in a city, and whichever city they can do it in is the school where the law student will attend

I know I deposited at TWO schools, neither of which I will be attending because I got a scholly from a 3rd school at the last minute...so that's two spots opening up.

As counter intuitive as it may seem to spend hundreds more dollars on deposits that eventually will go to waste, in this climate of intense risk and even more difficult decision-making, I think/hope people are multiple-depositing even more because of the crappy economy.

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:23 pm

beef wellington wrote:
SilverE2 wrote:
tommytahoe wrote:

I didn't make 3 or 4 deposits, lol. I made one deposit, at the best school I got into, and then made the decision whether to withdraw and wait out the waitlists or to attend. I made the decision to withdraw, and am now accepted at 0 law schools. May have been a bad decision, I guess I'll see.

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:24 pm

SilverE2 wrote:
beef wellington wrote:
SilverE2 wrote:
tommytahoe wrote:

I didn't make 3 or 4 deposits, lol. I made one deposit, at the best school I got into, and then made the decision whether to withdraw and wait out the waitlists or to attend. I made the decision to withdraw, and am now accepted at 0 law schools. May have been a bad decision, I guess I'll see.

WOW! You are banking on WL acceptances to attend law school this year? Did you hate your 1 school that much?

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:40 pm

SilverE2 wrote:
beef wellington wrote:
SilverE2 wrote:
tommytahoe wrote:

WOW! You are banking on WL acceptances to attend law school this year? Did you hate your 1 school that much?

I'm young and have a job. If reapplying next year will get me into a better school that in turn will make a positive impact on my career, so be it. I'll wait another year. The school I withdrew from was BU, which is really a great school. But I'm not ready to settle just yet.

*edit* oops i messed up the quotes

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:43 pm

I did the same thing: American and Santa Clara.

When I withdrew, I assumed I would be accepted at Cardozo with some $$, at Hastings, and a decent chance at UNC.
I also made a rational choice that, if the above two schools were the only two to which I was offered admission, I would re-take in Oct., re-apply in late October, work in paid internship in Wash. DC/wait tables for a year. At 37, I just figured that the market is too competitive/saturated, and the debt just too high, for me to say yes to either of those two schools.

So, alas, I am a law school orphan :(
I am a shortstop and a closer short of fielding an MLB team of waitlists.
So, PLEASE come through for me GULC!

btw, great input and insights about why folks might still have multiple deposits down at this late a date.

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:00 pm

That is ballsy. I'm 34 and I just feel I am too old to wait any longer to go back to school. I have just started thinking about applying ED next year to Penn and getting my application in as early as possible. If Tommytahoe can wait a year maybe I can too. If I worked hard for a year then I could save more $. That would be just as good as a scholarship, sort of. I'll have to give this some more thought.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”