GULC 2010 WL'ers

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
daagermy1

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Postby daagermy1 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:24 pm

Put me down as another select group preferred WLer. Applied PT-only.

Agreed an LOCI is worth sending before the March 22 "update"?

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:28 pm

tommytahoe wrote:Hey, so I asked this earlier in the thread, but I think it got lost in the shuffle:

For those of you who are on the regular Preferred list (or happen to know the answer to this anyway), is it wise to contact them at all prior to the month of May, when they say they will contact us to gauge our interest?

I am inclined to write and mail a crafted LOCI late this month, with all the key info. they need (why their schools is great, and is my top choice, period; why my "unique skills" would be a great fit there; what I have been up to, etc...)

That seems sensible to me, in spite of their "we'll call you" message in the email. What do you guys think?

I'm on the (regular) PWL also and sent them a LOCI earlier this week. I'm planning on sending another one after seat deposit deadlines, and then after that--who knows. I don't see the harm in sending them more info prior to May, unless you're worried about running out of things to say.

colforbin

Postby colforbin » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:32 pm

Scarletlady wrote:
colforbin wrote:I am posting this prematurely because I don't have a decision. However, if I'm not denied outright, a waitlist is likely. Here is my current status checker:

Term: Fall Year: 2010
Program Time: Part-time Degree: JD
Current Status: Application Completed
Current Status Date: 3/3/2010
Decision Status: Decision Rendered
Decision Status Date: 3/5/2010

It was updated this afternoon, but I haven't received an email or anything yet. Did this happen to anyone else?

Checked my status as soon as I saw your post. Everything else is the same on mine except that I have no "Decision Status" or "Decision Status Date" listed. I am also part-time, but ended up applying and EDing late (they bumped the ED date to March 1). I am in the autoreject zone but figured its worth the $80 to express my interest for when I try to pull a transfer next year. Keeping my fingers crossed for the WL

Maybe I should have gone ED as well. Not sure what I was thinking. Good luck and post when you hear.

Interestingly, earlier today, my Decision Status Date changed to 3/3/2010. When should I expect an email? I'm really stressing out.

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:37 pm

Encyclopedia Brown wrote:
tommytahoe wrote:Hey, so I asked this earlier in the thread, but I think it got lost in the shuffle:

For those of you who are on the regular Preferred list (or happen to know the answer to this anyway), is it wise to contact them at all prior to the month of May, when they say they will contact us to gauge our interest?

I am inclined to write and mail a crafted LOCI late this month, with all the key info. they need (why their schools is great, and is my top choice, period; why my "unique skills" would be a great fit there; what I have been up to, etc...)

That seems sensible to me, in spite of their "we'll call you" message in the email. What do you guys think?

I'm on the (regular) PWL also and sent them a LOCI earlier this week. I'm planning on sending another one after seat deposit deadlines, and then after that--who knows. I don't see the harm in sending them more info prior to May, unless you're worried about running out of things to say.

THAT'S what I'm looking for, thanks! I NEVER run out of things to say. :wink:

t.

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:41 pm

newyorklaw23 wrote:
tommytahoe wrote:
nowinGA wrote:
newyorklaw23 wrote:Preferred WL here, does anyone know how to submit LOCI and a supplemental letter of recommendation? Should i do it through LSAC, or just send it directly to the school (and if so, to whom?).

In my email it indicated a contact to whom I should send any additional materials. So I would assume you send it to that person and not go through LSAC, though i am not sure...

I need to step in here. From what I understand —and I may be wrong— there are those on the Preferred Waitlist, like me, who were told they would be contacted sometime in May. No name of anybody was given outside of the name 'Dean Cornblatt.' newyorklaw23, I think this may be you.

There are also those on the Preferred Waitlist, who, in their email, are referred to as a "special" sub-group or something. The email gives the impression that GULC really, really wants to admit them, but not just yet, or something like that. Their email is considerably more solicitous, and I think they also leave a name for the more special Waitlister to contact about anything. Sophia Sim, for example. They are told they will hear something by March 22 at the latest, I think. nowinGA, I think this is you.

I may be wrong there, of course. So, newyorklaw23, check your email first to see if it is like the first or second template I just described. If it like the first one, then nowinGA's advice might not be the best. In fact, I want to know myself whether I can send anything to them before May, b/c I'd like to be able to keep them up-to-date, and May seems a long way away!

t.

Hey tommy tahoe, i am not in the special sub-group so unfortunately I did not recieve any contact information. My predicament is that Georgetown is my first choice, but i have to let Vanderbilt(with$) know by April 15. In the Preferred WL email, it only says to let them know of any deadlines I have approaching, but will I hurt my chances if I let them know that they are my first choice and ask them for a decision by April, rather than waiting until the official WL review starts in May? I don't want to ask them for a decision in April and get rejeced b/c they don't want to over-enroll, when I could have gotten in had i stayed on the preferred WL until May/June/July.

Well, I don't know, but I don't know if it's a good idea to straight out ask them to make a decision on your WL status any earlier than they might do for others. They have a process that may take a while. That said, nobody wants to throw down multi-hundred-dollar seat deposits (including me! I will def. have to do that at one place I'm thinking, and I'm not rolling on money).

So, you can mention the deadlines I think —and they even ask you to tell them of any upcoming deadlines in the email— but I am not sure whether asking them for an unusually fast decision is called for. Anybody else know about this one?

newyorklaw23

Postby newyorklaw23 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:55 pm

I'm definitely unsure about asking them for an expedited decision ( i was just throwing the idea out there), but the only reason I thought of it is that they specifically ask about other deadlines I'm facing, and unless they can offer an expedited decision, i'm wondering why they would bother asking.

That being said, I'm wondering whether or not sending a LOCI and another LOR is even a good idea. Special Preffered WLers were given a specific place to send their extra materials, and the fact that regular preffered WLers like myself weren't given the same contact info...perhaps that distinction was intentional.

I really wish schools would extend the seat depost deadline this year, especially considering the snail's pace of decisions.

mrm2083

Postby mrm2083 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:00 pm

did anyone else email Ms Sim while she was out of the office and still not get a response?

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:13 pm

I don't see why informing them of deadlines would worsen your chances. If they don't wanna reject you but can't admit you they can always just offer to keep you on the WL. If they reject you then I have to think you wouldn't have gotten in anyway.

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:18 pm

beef wellington wrote:I don't see why informing them of deadlines would worsen your chances. If they don't wanna reject you but can't admit you they can always just offer to keep you on the WL. If they reject you then I have to think you wouldn't have gotten in anyway.

I totally agree. I mean, they ask us to inform them of any impending deadlines. I am cautious, myself, of giving them anything resembling an ultimatum, so I'm not sure how it plays out. Can I politely request them to make their decision quicker. Do I say they are seat deposits at schools I'm really interested in, or ones that are low on my list compared to GULC?

Perhaps I'm politicizing this, but it's nice to know every little detail going in to writing LOCIs etc.

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:18 am

tommytahoe wrote:
beef wellington wrote:I don't see why informing them of deadlines would worsen your chances. If they don't wanna reject you but can't admit you they can always just offer to keep you on the WL. If they reject you then I have to think you wouldn't have gotten in anyway.

I totally agree. I mean, they ask us to inform them of any impending deadlines. I am cautious, myself, of giving them anything resembling an ultimatum, so I'm not sure how it plays out. Can I politely request them to make their decision quicker. Do I say they are seat deposits at schools I'm really interested in, or ones that are low on my list compared to GULC?

Perhaps I'm politicizing this, but it's nice to know every little detail going in to writing LOCIs etc.

Yeah I wouldn't be too pushy unless you've got a better offer somewhere. I wouldn't phrase it like I'm requesting them to make a decision (since they obviously reserve the right to just keep you on the WL), but just informing them of an impending seat deposit like they'd requested. I guess I'm really not that sure how to phrase such a letter either. Hoping it doesn't come to that.

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:23 pm

Well, I'm mailing off a printed, signed, heavily revised LOCI tomorrow, with (1) Why I am crazy about GULC; (2) why their program fits with my career needs, and my personality; (3) grades/volunteer stuff I've been doing, and (4) clear as day expression that they are my absolute top choice.

I have only one deadline approaching, amazingly (Jan. 10 - 14 applications, mostly), and it's for a school I'm certain to withdraw from unless nobody else accepts me.

Hey, beef —I can call you 'beef,' right?— and anyone else: my numbers (163/3.81) are many strata below the reasonable low-end range even for WLers. And I am not a URM. I have a few ideas what caused this counter-intuitive Preferred WL, and will spend the next two months shoring up aspects of my app. related to school, character, writing, anything non-LSAT.

But here's a worry: perhaps they liked these things, and said "Let's Waitlist him with the hope he takes the LSAT again and bumps up to a 165 or 166." I'm worried that they'll see that I didn't take it and automatically reject. Is this a reasonable concern, or am I just coming up with a new reason to stress b/c all of my old reasons are getting boring?

tx

t.

nowinGA

Postby nowinGA » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:14 pm

tommytahoe wrote:Well, I'm mailing off a printed, signed, heavily revised LOCI tomorrow, with (1) Why I am crazy about GULC; (2) why their program fits with my career needs, and my personality; (3) grades/volunteer stuff I've been doing, and (4) clear as day expression that they are my absolute top choice.

I have only one deadline approaching, amazingly (Jan. 10 - 14 applications, mostly), and it's for a school I'm certain to withdraw from unless nobody else accepts me.

Hey, beef —I can call you 'beef,' right?— and anyone else: my numbers (163/3.81) are many strata below the reasonable low-end range even for WLers. And I am not a URM. I have a few ideas what caused this counter-intuitive Preferred WL, and will spend the next two months shoring up aspects of my app. related to school, character, writing, anything non-LSAT.

But here's a worry: perhaps they liked these things, and said "Let's Waitlist him with the hope he takes the LSAT again and bumps up to a 165 or 166." I'm worried that they'll see that I didn't take it and automatically reject. Is this a reasonable concern, or am I just coming up with a new reason to stress b/c all of my old reasons are getting boring?

tx

t.

(Not that I am following this advice)...but it is what it is. You can't change any of that now so all you can do is hope for the best and trust that you have done everything you could...your letter sounds like a great way you found to relieve some tension...and I am sure it can only help your cause...so sit back and try to just breathe! (If it helps, I did retake the LSAT and should NOT have because I am nearly certain my almost repeat score can only hurt apps...so go with what you have, and know it is what it is and will be what it will be...whatever THAT may be...)

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:34 pm

nowinGA wrote:
tommytahoe wrote:Well, I'm mailing off a printed, signed, heavily revised LOCI tomorrow, with (1) Why I am crazy about GULC; (2) why their program fits with my career needs, and my personality; (3) grades/volunteer stuff I've been doing, and (4) clear as day expression that they are my absolute top choice.

tx

t.

(Not that I am following this advice)...but it is what it is. You can't change any of that now so all you can do is hope for the best and trust that you have done everything you could...your letter sounds like a great way you found to relieve some tension...and I am sure it can only help your cause...so sit back and try to just breathe! (If it helps, I did retake the LSAT and should NOT have because I am nearly certain my almost repeat score can only hurt apps...so go with what you have, and know it is what it is and will be what it will be...whatever THAT may be...)

Thanks GA.
Yeah, I just had a litrle moment there. I think it's 'cause I had no coffee at home this morning. Had to go with green tea, and I'm not a tea guy. You're right about that "one extra" LSAT, if it doesn't come through with the goods, like you say. Not that it hurts you, of course, but it's good for me to remember that nothing is guaranteed but death and taxes. I'm gonna just wait it out, send letters, etc... That breathing thing sounds good too. :)

pertristis

Postby pertristis » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:01 pm

Hello all,

Does anyone have any idea on quickly Ms. Sims gets back to emails?

fomenting

Postby fomenting » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:05 pm

got into berkeley, so withdrew from gtown wl :)

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:30 pm

fomenting wrote:got into berkeley, so withdrew from gtown wl :)

Thank you... take your WL friends with you! :wink:
Congrats on Boalt, and thanks for keeping our hopes up. You very much did not stay true to your screenname.

nowinGA

Postby nowinGA » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:23 pm

...we really need some movement on this thread. Just let us all in already!

mrm2083

Postby mrm2083 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:22 pm

Any responses from Ms. Sim? I sent her a response with basically a LOCI in late February and want to make sure she got it.

Shlonster

Postby Shlonster » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:40 pm

mrm2083 wrote:did anyone else email Ms Sim while she was out of the office and still not get a response?

+1 - emailed her Jan 19. I'm sure she's caught up by now.

SummerLaw

Postby SummerLaw » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:10 pm

Hi All,

I am on the PWL, applied PT, ED, 3.7, 165 – so it was definitely a stretch for me. I have a “contact” person but only because I replied immediately to the WL email and she wrote back to me so I have used her as a POC. I dropped off an LOCI and I emailed my “contact” to confirm receipt and she wrote back saying they added it to my file. My email didn’t make mention of 3/22 and I don’t know how they are going to swing that if seat deposits are due 4/1 – momentum should only ensue after that… unless they are already hearing “no’s” from admitted students.

mrm2083

Postby mrm2083 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:11 pm

The 3/22 is only for the "select group". My guess is that it is more of a defer than a waitlist and then we will either be admitted or moved to the regular preferred list.

argylesocks

Postby argylesocks » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:12 pm

Got the email today. Preferred preferred waitlist. (That's the "special group within on the Preferred Waiting List," right?)

Still contemplating whether or not I should send a LOCI. I was recently accepted to Duke, and I think I would (or should) choose Duke over GU. Actually... I don't know. I just want to be in or near DC (that is, if I can't go to Berkeley).

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:28 pm

argylesocks wrote:Got the email today. Preferred preferred waitlist. (That's the "special group within on the Preferred Waiting List," right?)

Still contemplating whether or not I should send a LOCI. I was recently accepted to Duke, and I think I would (or should) choose Duke over GU. Actually... I don't know. I just want to be in or near DC (that is, if I can't go to Berkeley).

I think I speak for everybody here (on the GULC WL thread) when I say "Go to Duke, for sure." :wink:

That's a tough call, all jokes aside. If I had that decision (and I too want to be near DC), I'd have a tough time. The good news is that by taking Duke, it's not like you'd be losing out on mobility. One can take that big name JD just about anywhere, I imagine.

nowinGA

Postby nowinGA » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:43 pm

ugh. I hate this waiting. I wish they just hadn't told me anything yet! I mean how long do they keep adding people to all of these lists before they start taking people off of them?

autarkh

Postby autarkh » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:51 pm

I think the big date, for now at least, is 3/22.

Like you said: ugh.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”