GULC 2010 WL'ers Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tommytahoe

Silver

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Post by tommytahoe » Fri May 14, 2010 3:08 pm

jks289 wrote:
tommytahoe wrote:Since I'm a 163/3.81, non-trad, non-URM, PWL (the PS and LORs must have made up the difference), should I just come out and ask them by phone/email, say around June 1st, if they would be likely to make me an offer if I accepted a part-time spot?

I don't think it would open spots if they are not available. But it would make explicit what I hope was implicit (I applied for 'Both'): That is, I'll take whatever you got!

Thoughts?
Has your status checker changed from 'Both' to 'FT' or 'PT'? It seems like at this stage they have separated who they are considering for which programs. My status check said both but I got the email about PT spaces and it changed to PT only. If you haven't made the switch it might be smart to sent a brief LOCI saying you would attend regardless. Certainly can't hurt.
No, it hasn't changed.
Three things stand out from what you just wrote: (1) It is they who start the process, more often than not. If they want to maybe slot a FT into PT, THEY solicit the offer, or just outright change the status update; (2) If they had come to such a decision, more likely than not they would have done such changes/solicitation already (seeing as we're late in the game); and (3) Like you said, it can't hurt anyway (provided I'm really OK with PT, which I of course am, since there is a very good chance I could transfer).

I think it's a sign that I'm willing to adapt to get my dream school. I'll think about it, maybe wait a week or so.

tx

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Fri May 14, 2010 3:21 pm

tommytahoe wrote:
jks289 wrote:
tommytahoe wrote:Since I'm a 163/3.81, non-trad, non-URM, PWL (the PS and LORs must have made up the difference), should I just come out and ask them by phone/email, say around June 1st, if they would be likely to make me an offer if I accepted a part-time spot?

I don't think it would open spots if they are not available. But it would make explicit what I hope was implicit (I applied for 'Both'): That is, I'll take whatever you got!

Thoughts?
Has your status checker changed from 'Both' to 'FT' or 'PT'? It seems like at this stage they have separated who they are considering for which programs. My status check said both but I got the email about PT spaces and it changed to PT only. If you haven't made the switch it might be smart to sent a brief LOCI saying you would attend regardless. Certainly can't hurt.
No, it hasn't changed.
Three things stand out from what you just wrote: (1) It is they who start the process, more often than not. If they want to maybe slot a FT into PT, THEY solicit the offer, or just outright change the status update; (2) If they had come to such a decision, more likely than not they would have done such changes/solicitation already (seeing as we're late in the game); and (3) Like you said, it can't hurt anyway (provided I'm really OK with PT, which I of course am, since there is a very good chance I could transfer).

I think it's a sign that I'm willing to adapt to get my dream school. I'll think about it, maybe wait a week or so.

tx
I think it just means you are still be considered for both programs. Including your willingness to attend both makes sense to me. I think the only risk you run is that you may end up in PT consideration by default, where you may have gotten in FT. The odds of that happening at this stage seem very slim, though.

tommytahoe

Silver

Post by tommytahoe » Fri May 14, 2010 3:25 pm

jks289 wrote:
tommytahoe wrote:
jks289 wrote:

Thoughts?
No, it hasn't changed.

tx
I think it just means you are still be considered for both programs. Including your willingness to attend both makes sense to me. I think the only risk you run is that you may end up in PT consideration by default, where you may have gotten in FT. The odds of that happening at this stage seem very slim, though.
Exactly. And I think that's whay I didn't do so to this point: I mistakenly held out higher hopes for FT admission than I should have had. I now know that was a mirage.

DrPlacebo

New

Post by DrPlacebo » Sat May 15, 2010 1:46 am

Encyclopedia Brown wrote:
jks289 wrote:I predict 3 FT and 2 PT. No one under 170 and all people who recieved the little clues in the email (no "if at all" and the "hang in there message")

In other news, I received my confirmation email. They signed it "warm regards" and for a minute I was like "Oh, that's nice" and forgot that they have already all but crushed my hopes and dreams. I have to say, Georgetown Admins win for frankness and transparency in the admission game. I know people say they're "number whores" for anyone with a 170, and that may be true, but at the very least they are honest about their admission policy and where everyone stands. Commendable.

Edited: Because it keeps messing up my posting. :?
+1 I got my second confirmation e-mail (different from the first). Really drives home the point that they received my e-mail of continued interest. Gotcha. I also agree with the transparency thing; I have almost no idea what's going on with my other waitlists.
Interesting. I haven't paid as much attention to reading the tea leaves, but I got a second confirmation e-mail today too. I figured they'd most likely sent the e-mail twice because of some glitch.

Now that I look at the two... the first reads:
Thank you for your continued interest. Your e-mail has been added to your file for the Admissions Committee.

Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact our office.

Best,
The second reads:
Thank you for your response. Your e-mail of continued interest and/or your attached document(s) have been added to your file for the Admissions Committee.

We hope to be in touch with another update by June 8th!

Warm regards,

tommytahoe

Silver

Post by tommytahoe » Sat May 15, 2010 2:18 am

DrPlacebo wrote:
jks289 wrote:I predict 3 FT and 2 PT. No one under 170 and all people who recieved the little clues in the email (no "if at all" and the "hang in there message")

In other news, I received my confirmation email. They signed it "warm regards" and for a minute I was like "Oh, that's nice" and forgot that they have already all but crushed my hopes and dreams. I have to say, Georgetown Admins win for frankness and transparency in the admission game. I know people say they're "number whores" for anyone with a 170, and that may be true, but at the very least they are honest about their admission policy and where everyone stands. Commendable.

Edited: Because it keeps messing up my posting. :?
+1 I got my second confirmation e-mail (different from the first). Really drives home the point that they received my e-mail of continued interest. Gotcha. I also agree with the transparency thing; I have almost no idea what's going on with my other waitlists.
Interesting. I haven't paid as much attention to reading the tea leaves, but I got a second confirmation e-mail today too. I figured they'd most likely sent the e-mail twice because of some glitch.

Now that I look at the two... the first reads:
Thank you for your continued interest. Your e-mail has been added to your file for the Admissions Committee.

Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact our office.

Best,
The second reads:
Thank you for your response. Your e-mail of continued interest and/or your attached document(s) have been added to your file for the Admissions Committee.

We hope to be in touch with another update by June 8th!

Warm regards,
Yes, I got the same as your second one today (only it was my first), so that makes me think they are just streamlining all responses together, maybe b/c they forgot who they responded to last week ??

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Encyclopedia Brown

Silver

Post by Encyclopedia Brown » Sat May 15, 2010 2:19 am

Ahh stupid tea leaves! Please Georgetown, just let me in!

JasonCG

New

Post by JasonCG » Sat May 15, 2010 9:47 am

I am on the [strike]soft rejection list[/strike] regular wait list, and I received the "warm regards" confirmation email. Don't know what that means, but I needed to tag this thread, so I thought I would share =)

AdamatUCF

Bronze

Post by AdamatUCF » Sat May 15, 2010 11:07 am

JasonCG wrote:I am on the [strike]soft rejection list[/strike] regular wait list, and I received the "warm regards" confirmation email. Don't know what that means, but I needed to tag this thread, so I thought I would share =)
Me too. Regular WL, Warm Regards.

I'm not reading too much into the wording differences.

Encyclopedia Brown

Silver

Post by Encyclopedia Brown » Sat May 15, 2010 11:44 am

Everybody got the Warm Regards e-mail.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SummerLaw

Bronze

Post by SummerLaw » Sun May 16, 2010 11:56 am

I got two of the warm regards emails - I'm not sure if it was bc I sent two emails or if it was an email glitch

lawapps0502

Bronze

Post by lawapps0502 » Sun May 16, 2010 12:21 pm

I hope that Cornblatt posts a twitter update tomorrow so we can have a better idea of where they stand with their class...hopefully they will be accepting more ppl off their waitlist!

Encyclopedia Brown

Silver

Post by Encyclopedia Brown » Sun May 16, 2010 12:36 pm

lawapps0502 wrote:I hope that Cornblatt posts a twitter update tomorrow so we can have a better idea of where they stand with their class...hopefully they will be accepting more ppl off their waitlist!
What's Dean Cornblatt's Twitter address? I did not know that he had one...

lawapps0502

Bronze

Post by lawapps0502 » Sun May 16, 2010 12:39 pm

lawapps0502 wrote:I hope that Cornblatt posts a twitter update tomorrow so we can have a better idea of where they stand with their class...hopefully they will be accepting more ppl off their waitlist!
What's Dean Cornblatt's Twitter address? I did not know that he had one...
http://twitter.com/GtownLawAdmits

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DrPlacebo

New

Post by DrPlacebo » Sun May 16, 2010 4:12 pm

SummerLaw wrote:I got two of the warm regards emails - I'm not sure if it was bc I sent two emails or if it was an email glitch
More tea leaves........ :?

lawapps0502

Bronze

Post by lawapps0502 » Tue May 18, 2010 11:42 am

anyone get any updates from the admissions office?

Encyclopedia Brown

Silver

Post by Encyclopedia Brown » Tue May 18, 2010 1:45 pm

lawapps0502 wrote:anyone get any updates from the admissions office?
Nothing yet.

lawapps0502

Bronze

Post by lawapps0502 » Tue May 18, 2010 2:50 pm

well UCLA started taking ppl off their wait list, which is good for us. hopefully this will help create some movement.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tommytahoe

Silver

Post by tommytahoe » Tue May 18, 2010 2:55 pm

lawapps0502 wrote:well UCLA started taking ppl off their wait list, which is good for us. hopefully this will help create some movement.
Do you think applicants currently admitted to GULC would withdraw if offered admission to UCLA? If not. how would that generate GULC admission offers to waitlisters?

lawapps0502

Bronze

Post by lawapps0502 » Tue May 18, 2010 3:03 pm

tommytahoe wrote:
lawapps0502 wrote:well UCLA started taking ppl off their wait list, which is good for us. hopefully this will help create some movement.
Do you think applicants currently admitted to GULC would withdraw if offered admission to UCLA? If not. how would that generate GULC admission offers to waitlisters?
everyone has different reasons for choosing a particular school. some people may rather go to UCLA than GULC, so some spots may open up.

tommytahoe

Silver

Post by tommytahoe » Tue May 18, 2010 3:17 pm

lawapps0502 wrote:
tommytahoe wrote:
everyone has different reasons for choosing a particular school. some people may rather go to UCLA than GULC, so some spots may open up.
Cool, just checking your reasoning is all. Yes, the California-centric would find that a big draw.

MURPH

Silver

Post by MURPH » Tue May 18, 2010 7:13 pm

If GULC lets me in with $$, there will be another opening at UCLA.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Cali167

New

Post by Cali167 » Wed May 19, 2010 7:54 pm

Got a call from an alum saying I am "one of a select few indviduals who we will be looking to admitt come June 8th." She went on to ask what my level of interest is. I was honest and said I love GULC, but most likely wouldn't attend if I didn't get some scholarship money. She sounded less than optimistic about the possibility of scholarship money off the waitlist. Anyway, just an update.

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Wed May 19, 2010 7:56 pm

Cali167 wrote:Got a call from an alum saying I am "one of a select few indviduals who we will be looking to admitt come June 8th." She went on to ask what my level of interest is. I was honest and said I love GULC, but most likely wouldn't attend if I didn't get some scholarship money. She sounded less than optimistic about the possibility of scholarship money off the waitlist. Anyway, just an update.
Congrats! Would you mind sharing your numbers? I'm wondering if you are a splitter in either direction.

Cali167

New

Post by Cali167 » Wed May 19, 2010 7:59 pm

Thirteen wrote:
Cali167 wrote:Got a call from an alum saying I am "one of a select few indviduals who we will be looking to admitt come June 8th." She went on to ask what my level of interest is. I was honest and said I love GULC, but most likely wouldn't attend if I didn't get some scholarship money. She sounded less than optimistic about the possibility of scholarship money off the waitlist. Anyway, just an update.
Congrats! Would you mind sharing your numbers? I'm wondering if you are a splitter in either direction.
167/3.8 I had an interview awhile back that went really well. I would have definitley enrolled if I was admitted early in the cycle. It's hard to turn down $$ these days....

DarkwingDick

New

Post by DarkwingDick » Wed May 19, 2010 7:59 pm

Thirteen wrote:
Don't be lazy. He/she is 167/3.8 URM.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”