GULC 2010 WL'ers Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tommytahoe

Silver

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Post by tommytahoe » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:18 pm

Yeah, I got it.
I ended up at UC Davis with a massive pile of need-based grants $$, so I came out as best as I could imagine absent a miraculous, never-to-be T14 showing.
Good luck, you remaining few...
It's ironic: I head to DC tomorrow for 6 weeks, and I was going to swing by the Admissions Office on Thursday or Friday —not with expectations, but just to introduce myself, see if I could check out the campus, slip 'em each a Benjamin or two.
This email foiled my plans. :evil:

yeahdoz

New

Post by yeahdoz » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:16 pm

tram988 wrote:Wow they kept me. Craziness. Sorry to those released.

So did you get in, or did they just not send you an email today? Also, for anyone who wants to post, what did "The Last" email say, if I could ask?

AdamatUCF

Bronze

Post by AdamatUCF » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:26 pm

Jamaica88 wrote:what exactly did this email say???
Dear NAME,

I regret to inform you that the Committee on Admissions is unable to offer you admission to Georgetown University Law Center this fall. Your placement on the Waiting List reflected our confidence in the strength of your application. At this time, however, we have received deposits from more applicants than we have seats available in the first year class. Consequently, we are unable to extend an offer of admission to you this year.

We appreciate your interest in our program and wish you success in your future endeavors.

Sincerely,

Andrew Cornblatt
Dean of Admissions
Georgetown Law

MURPH

Silver

Post by MURPH » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:27 pm

tommytahoe wrote:Yeah, I got it.
I ended up at UC Davis with a massive pile of need-based grants $$, so I came out as best as I could imagine absent a miraculous, never-to-be T14 showing.
It's ironic: I head to DC tomorrow for 6 weeks, and I was going to swing by the Admissions Office on Thursday or Friday —not with expectations, but just to introduce myself, see if I could check out the campus, slip 'em each a Benjamin or two.
Good luck at UC Davis

tram988

Silver

Post by tram988 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:37 pm

yeahdoz wrote:
tram988 wrote:Wow they kept me. Craziness. Sorry to those released.

So did you get in, or did they just not send you an email today? Also, for anyone who wants to post, what did "The Last" email say, if I could ask?
Ah sorry that was ambiguous. I did not get in in still on the waiting list.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:43 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:
SummerLaw wrote:Just got the final email... ouch

Anyone else?
Got it too. I was on the regular waitlist.

lateforthesky16

Bronze

Post by lateforthesky16 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:59 pm

got the email too, looks like i'll be joining you at Davis!

tommytahoe

Silver

Post by tommytahoe » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:19 am

lateforthesky16 wrote:

got the email too, looks like i'll be joining you at Davis!
sweet. We should be stoked. Great school. Check out the King Hall fb page, keep an eye out for Tom.

SilverE2

Silver

Post by SilverE2 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:48 am

So was everyone who wasn't removed on the SPWL originally?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Encyclopedia Brown

Silver

Post by Encyclopedia Brown » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:00 am

SilverE2 wrote:So was everyone who wasn't removed on the SPWL originally?
Nope. I was PWL originally and wasn't removed. As I mentioned a few pages back, the original WL designations of SPWL, PWL, and WL don't seem to mean anything anymore.

SilverE2

Silver

Post by SilverE2 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:04 am

Encyclopedia Brown wrote:
Nope. I was PWL originally and wasn't removed. As I mentioned a few pages back, the original WL designations of SPWL, PWL, and WL don't seem to mean anything anymore.
Well, I thought the same...until I saw a bunch of people who stayed post that they were SPWL.

I'm just a bit confused, I sent a bunch of LOCIs, visited, and seemed to have pretty strong numbers for the PT program. I guess they didn't like me for some reason, or my LSAT wasn't high enough to offset my GPA. *sigh*

tommytahoe

Silver

Post by tommytahoe » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:26 am

SilverE2 wrote:
Well, I thought the same...until I saw a bunch of people who stayed post that they were SPWL.

I'm just a bit confused, I sent a bunch of LOCIs, visited, and seemed to have pretty strong numbers for the PT program. I guess they didn't like me for some reason, or my LSAT wasn't high enough to offset my GPA. *sigh*
I know, it must be a pain in the ass. But you never know how they stir their witches' brews in those admissions offices. the whole they re looking for may be different from thwe sum of the applicant's parts.
Also, keep in mind that late in the waitlist game, their Class of 2013 needs become narrowed, particular. Need high LSAT, period, need high GPA, period. Need URM boost, or non-trad boost. Who knows. The fact you got released could just mean that there is little that separates many of the folks remaining on the waitlist —i.e., outside of some very high LSAT folks, a big cluster. Seen that way, your being released ceases to be a rejection, and just a matter of their having to make close calls with the pressure of a mega-overenrolled class.
I know why I got released: 163 LSAT. I was the pluto of outliers, drifting far away from all the activity, until Andy Cornblatt finally realized I am not an applicant planet, but rather an applicant cluster of semi-connected matter and rocks. :?

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:29 am

tommytahoe wrote:
SilverE2 wrote:

I know, it must be a pain in the ass. But you never know how they stir their witches' brews in those admissions offices. the whole they re looking for may be different from thwe sum of the applicant's parts.
Also, keep in mind that late in the waitlist game, their Class of 2013 needs become narrowed, particular. Need high LSAT, period, need high GPA, period. Need URM boost, or non-trad boost. Who knows. The fact you got released could just mean that there is little that separates many of the folks remaining on the waitlist —i.e., outside of some very high LSAT folks, a big cluster. Seen that way, your being released ceases to be a rejection, and just a matter of their having to make close calls with the pressure of a mega-overenrolled class.
I know why I got released: 163 LSAT. I was the pluto of outliers, drifting far away from all the activity, until Andy Cornblatt finally realized I am not an applicant planet, but rather an applicant cluster of semi-connected matter and rocks. :?
wicked metaphor.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tram988

Silver

Post by tram988 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:19 am

I'm still here and I am on the normal waitlist.

mte84

New

Post by mte84 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:31 am

"At this time, however, we have received deposits from more applicants than we have seats available in the first year class."

this seems to be the familiar tune of most waitlists this cycle...

ryguy

Bronze

Post by ryguy » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:14 am

I guess I am still in the running. :roll:

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:46 pm

SilverE2 wrote:

PWL here as well.

I'm guessing that the PT program may be set. No other T14 has PT, so that portion of the class won't be jumping ship unless something crazy happens (probably a safe assumption that PT won't get off of higher-up WLs b/c of lower numbers). The FT spots are another story. Something happens higher up the food chain, there's a chance they start losing people. I wouldn't necessarily look at it as being your stats, could be just the nature of the beast.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tram988

Silver

Post by tram988 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:55 pm

stratocophic wrote:
SilverE2 wrote:

PWL here as well.

I'm guessing that the PT program may be set. No other T14 has PT, so that portion of the class won't be jumping ship unless something crazy happens (probably a safe assumption that PT won't get off of higher-up WLs b/c of lower numbers). The FT spots are another story. Something happens higher up the food chain, there's a chance they start losing people. I wouldn't necessarily look at it as being your stats, could be just the nature of the beast.
I'm still on the part-time regular waitlist.

savesthedayajb

Silver

Post by savesthedayajb » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:56 pm

As a PT SPWLer I guess they are just holding onto me for last minute PT drop outs.

tram988

Silver

Post by tram988 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:01 pm

savesthedayajb wrote:As a PT SPWLer I guess they are just holding onto me for last minute PT drop outs.
Yeah at this point it really depends on what they need. I have a feeling they are keeping me for my extremely high GPA for the part-time program (it surely can't be for my LSAT lol.)

savesthedayajb

Silver

Post by savesthedayajb » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:04 pm

tram988 wrote:
savesthedayajb wrote:As a PT SPWLer I guess they are just holding onto me for last minute PT drop outs.
Yeah at this point it really depends on what they need. I have a feeling they are keeping me for my extremely high GPA for the part-time program (it surely can't be for my LSAT lol.)
+1 : /

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

unknownscholar

Bronze

Post by unknownscholar » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:32 pm

didn't get that last email yet, though I'm on the lookout.

ryguy

Bronze

Post by ryguy » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:32 pm

Maybe, more will roll out later today. Cause I just don't get the smaller waitlist.

DrPlacebo

New

Post by DrPlacebo » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:34 am

Doesn't look like SPWL status is doing much good. Still staying on the GULC waitlist for now (and hoping they want high LSAT scores), but I'm getting closer and closer to just going with the full-tuition $$$$ from McGeorge. I'll probably withdraw if no word by next Monday.

MURPH

Silver

Post by MURPH » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:55 am

I really wish these schools would give us a bit of information. They won't tell us how many people are on the waitlists or how we rank. When we call them they don't give straight answers and often give conflicting answers. Some even have undergrad work study students answering our calls. It is pretty frustrating.
Despite all their talk about how they look at each applicant as an individual and other nonsense, I really think these adcoms despise applicants. Admitting us is no more personal than ordering office supplies: "I'll need another three desks, three chairs, a computer, six high GPAs, two URMs and an box of pens."
A couple of months ago I didn't understand why some students would waste money putting down multiple deposits. Now I realize they are the smart ones. They knew that these adcomsdon't give a crap about us. You should be playing them off of each other, witholding information from them, letting them know about other offers when it is convenient for you, threatening to pull out at the last minute, etc. I just wish I had realized that back in April.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”