GULC 2010 WL'ers Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
unknownscholar

Bronze

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Post by unknownscholar » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:40 pm

I'm on the regular.

My status checker hasnt changed since 2/26. Haven't gotten any emails since then either.

I did just notice that my advisor's recommendation (sent after being deferred in dec) was just added on the status checker. I haven't really been checking it everyday, but my guess is that this was added within the week (dont recall seeing it last week). I am a little bit curious if it was considered before I was waitlisted. but whatevs. let's get to the regulars! 8)

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:44 pm

tommytahoe wrote:If I were to be offered PT as my only option, should I take it? I don't have any work/family constraints from doing PT except preference and not wanting to do an extra summer when I could be earning $$. I also have had a ton of waitlists and rejections, and expect to be going to Cardozo or UNC as back-up.
If I were to be sent a carefully worded question about my response to the IDEA of PT, how does one respond to that kind of thing?

Keep in mind I am a PWL, but do not really anticipate such a FT/PT email. Just wondering...
Hmm, my sense is that they would much rather put people in PT than FT. So by indicating you might be open to it, you may end up putting yourself in PT when you would have been admitted FT (since you are PWL). I think you answer the email honestly. You are very very interested in Georgetown and where you to be offered a spot in PT you would be open to considering it, even strongly so. But your preference is to join the Class of 2013.

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:49 pm

Does anyone know the median LSAT/GPA for the PT program?

tesoro

Bronze

Post by tesoro » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:55 pm

jks289 wrote:Does anyone know the median LSAT/GPA for the PT program?
In the 2010 rankings i think it was 165/3.6x. 80% sure this information is correct, but I haven't seen the numbers for awhile and can't remember how to access the info on the ABA site.

edit: it's moot now, though. PT #s count in ranking --> expect these numbers to JUMP

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:57 pm

tesoro wrote:
In the 2010 rankings i think it was 165/3.6x. 80% sure this information is correct, but I haven't seen the numbers for awhile and can't remember how to access the info on the ABA site.

edit: it's moot now, though. PT #s count in ranking --> expect these numbers to JUMP
Interesting. Assuming they were already trying to admit the highest possible numbers, how are the going to push those medians more than a point or two this year?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

shadow.

Bronze

Post by shadow. » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:18 pm

Last edited by shadow. on Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tesoro

Bronze

Post by tesoro » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:19 pm

jks289 wrote:
tesoro wrote:

Interesting. Assuming they were already trying to admit the highest possible numbers, how are the going to push those medians more than a point or two this year?
I take issue with that assumption. There was no incentive to admit the highest possible numbers, because it didnt matter what numbers they admitted, so long as they weren't embarassingly low. Now it matters.

How many 170/3.xx splitters would kill to go to GULC PT? I bet a lot. Throw in some reverse splitters and some 168/3.median gpa applicants, and you've improved by a large margin.

lateforthesky16

Bronze

Post by lateforthesky16 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:22 pm

shadow. wrote:Okay, in the interest of helping everyone else and in full disclosure, here is my timeline.

I applied to FT/PT with a 170/3.0 from a T10 UG.

4/12 (Monday) I get an e-mail from Dean Cornblatt.
Dear XXXX,

Greetings from Georgetown! As summer approaches, the Committee on Admissions is in the process of making their final round of offers until our May 1 deposit deadline. At their request, I am contacting you since you indicated on your application form that you would like to be considered for "both" the full-time and part-time programs. Although there's very little room in the full time program, we anticipate that we may have a handful of spaces available in the part-time program. At this stage, we are interested in only offering these spaces to those who seriously consider attending Georgetown. To that end, it would be helpful to the Committee if you could confirm your level of interest in the program.

We look forward to hearing from you as soon as possible.

Best,

Andy

Andrew Cornblatt
Dean of Admissions
Georgetown Law
I responded immediately saying that I would accept a PT slot and withdraw elsewhere.

Yesterday, (4/14) I scanned in a full LOCI reaffirming my commitment and detailing the reasons why.

Today (4/15), I went UR from a previous state of 3/31 UR 3/31 DR --> REGULAR WL.

A little while later (4/15), I went DR.

30 minutes afterwards, I got an e-mail from Dean Cornblatt.

Dear XXXX,

I am e-mailing you today with some news from Georgetown Law. Our policy does not allow us to give decisions by e-mail, but I can say this-when you receive your letter in the next few days, I feel certain you will be pleased (subtle enough?).

In the next few days, you will be able to access the admitted student website. The website provides a wealth of information about the Law Center including the online financial aid application. To access the admitted student site, click on the link from the main Georgetown University Law Center admissions page, http://www.law.georgetown.edu/admissions. If you haven't already established a username and password from our status check system, just follow the instructions posted at the login prompt.

To hold your space in the entering class, you will need to either submit a tuition deposit of $400 by May 3 or, if you are prepared to commit to Georgetown, no deposit is required. Please see enclosed commitment form. Also, if you intend to apply for housing or financial aid, please begin the process immediately to ensure timely results.

I've read over 12,000 applications this year, and I can tell you how difficult this process has been. I appreciate your patience and am delighted to be giving you this news. I hope you will join us here at Georgetown this fall.

Congratulations again,

Andy Cornblatt
TLS has been such an aid to me, and but for this site, I would not be in at GULC.

It has always been my first choice and I am very, very happy to be attending in the fall.

Good luck everyone. I made it very clear in all my correspondence that they were my first choice and that I would take any spot that was offered to me. I think that it was this commitment that got me in.

Let me know if there are any other questions.

edit-- Also for reference, at no point have I been able to request a password from the Admitted Student's website, including the time of this writing.

Congrats! I received the same email on Monday the 12th but didn't hear anything today :(

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:23 pm

tesoro wrote:
jks289 wrote:
tesoro wrote:

I take issue with that assumption. There was no incentive to admit the highest possible numbers, because it didnt matter what numbers they admitted, so long as they weren't embarassingly low. Now it matters.

How many 170/3.xx splitters would kill to go to GULC PT? I bet a lot. Throw in some reverse splitters and some 168/3.median gpa applicants, and you've improved by a large margin.
What would be the advantage in admitting lower numbers over higher ones? If the school actually believes LSAT/GPA holds some value, wouldn't they want the higher stats regardless. I guess maybe they could focus on work experience, or other softs, but that doesn't seem in keeping with their admissions philosophy. My question was more about how it is possible to move up the PT numbers without reducing the pt class size. Unless they routinely turn away higer numbers for lower ones, where does this new pool of 170+ PT applicants come from?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tesoro

Bronze

Post by tesoro » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:32 pm

jks289 wrote:
What would be the advantage in admitting lower numbers over higher ones? If the school actually believes LSAT/GPA holds some value, wouldn't they want the higher stats regardless. I guess maybe they could focus on work experience, or other softs, but that doesn't seem in keeping with their admissions philosophy. My question was more about how it is possible to move up the PT numbers without reducing the pt class size. Unless they routinely turn away higer numbers for lower ones, where does this new pool of 170+ PT applicants come from?
Splitters. See: LSN. There are WL splitters that would kill a man to attend GULC, even if it has to be part-time (see Shadow above for an example). Reverse-splitters can cover the GPA imbalance.

Take any published "admissions policy" with a grain of salt. Would you believe for a second that there are no cut-off LSAT scores? Because Yale claims that there isn't in their admissions process.

There was little incentive to improve a point or two before by taking splitters. Now there is. Think about it. How many GWU full-timers would attend GULC PT over GWU FT? Probably a large margin of them given the ease of transferring to FT after a year. So they poach some of them with PT offers rather than going with any form of holistic admissions, and the numbers improve. I don't think the supply of 170+ PT applicants was ever the problem, it was just hesitance in admitting candidates who did not achieve >3.2 GPAs before. Now there's a concrete gain in doing so, and the temptation is even greater given the T15-18 quickly creeping up on them in the rankings.

edit: my numbers hug last year's medians. I'm not trying to bury you. Actually, I don't even know your numbers so I'm not sure how any of this discussion affects you personally. It's just my own personal analysis - enjoy or disregard as you please :)

Encyclopedia Brown

Silver

Post by Encyclopedia Brown » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:31 pm

I wonder if I got weeded out, or if we'll see some more activity in the near future.

lateforthesky16

Bronze

Post by lateforthesky16 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:32 pm

Encyclopedia Brown wrote:I wonder if I got weeded out, or if we'll see some more activity in the near future.

+1

dk8

Bronze

Post by dk8 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:35 pm

Encyclopedia Brown wrote:I wonder if I got weeded out, or if we'll see some more activity in the near future.
I'd bet a good amount of money that there will be after the deposit deadline.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Xizenta

Bronze

Post by Xizenta » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:36 pm

lateforthesky16 wrote:

+1
+30249

iamtaw

Bronze

Post by iamtaw » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:57 pm

im sure more seats will open up as this and other deposit deadlines get closer

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:02 pm

Does anyone know the chances that people on the regular waitlist will get in? I have just assumed that regular waitlist = rejected, but maybe they have slots for interesting candidates from the regular waitlist (<3 delusions)

dk8

Bronze

Post by dk8 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:05 pm

Teoeo wrote:Does anyone know the chances that people on the regular waitlist will get in? I have just assumed that regular waitlist = rejected, but maybe they have slots for interesting candidates from the regular waitlist (<3 delusions)
I'd assume them to be very low but who knows.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tommytahoe

Silver

Post by tommytahoe » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:50 pm

iamtaw wrote:im sure more seats will open up as this and other deposit deadlines get closer
+1
IF this is the last we'll see for now, then there has got to be some openings post-May 3rd/10th. EB would be among the first to go then. To the extent that it dips deep into the PWLs, that's the $60,000 question.

Encyclopedia Brown

Silver

Post by Encyclopedia Brown » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:14 pm

tommytahoe wrote:
iamtaw wrote:im sure more seats will open up as this and other deposit deadlines get closer
+1
IF this is the last we'll see for now, then there has got to be some openings post-May 3rd/10th. EB would be among the first to go then. To the extent that it dips deep into the PWLs, that's the $60,000 question.
I pray that you're right.

MissLucky

Silver

Post by MissLucky » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:25 pm

Teoeo wrote:Does anyone know the chances that people on the regular waitlist will get in? I have just assumed that regular waitlist = rejected, but maybe they have slots for interesting candidates from the regular waitlist (<3 delusions)

<3 regular waitlist <3

ktalene

New

Post by ktalene » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:33 pm

I was accepted today with the same email from above.

I was put on the preferred waitlist.

I sent one LOCI, got an email about 10 days ago saying I was being considered in the coming weeks, sent another LOCI (via email) and had my boss write an additional letter of rec.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE...just remember miracles do happen.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lateforthesky16

Bronze

Post by lateforthesky16 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:37 pm

ktalene wrote:I was accepted today with the same email from above.

I sent one LOCI, got an email about 10 days ago saying I was being considered in the coming weeks, sent another LOCI (via email) and had my boss write an additional letter of rec.

big congrats :) were you accepted PT or FT?

ecs32

New

Post by ecs32 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:01 am

ktalene wrote:I was accepted today with the same email from above.

May I ask what your numbers were?

lateforthesky16

Bronze

Post by lateforthesky16 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:06 pm

no news today?

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:10 pm

lateforthesky16 wrote:no news today?
No movement for me. I think today is the deposit deadline, no? So maybe early next week. Here's hoping!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”