GULC 2010 WL'ers Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tommytahoe

Silver

Re: GULC 2010 WL'ers

Post by tommytahoe » Wed May 12, 2010 12:58 pm

MissLucky wrote:
lawapps0502 wrote:Did anyone who responded to the last wait list letter get an email confirmation that it was received and added to their file?
nope
No. I imagine that those they don't hear from (by some undefined time... I'll venture to say a week, or two at the absolute most) will be crossed off the WL.

The rest of us, they just make a note of it.

Encyclopedia Brown

Silver

Post by Encyclopedia Brown » Wed May 12, 2010 1:09 pm

tommytahoe wrote:
MissLucky wrote:
lawapps0502 wrote:Did anyone who responded to the last wait list letter get an email confirmation that it was received and added to their file?
nope
No. I imagine that those they don't hear from (by some undefined time... I'll venture to say a week, or two at the absolute most) will be crossed off the WL.

Umm... I actually did get an e-mail confirmation saying exactly that:
Dear Encyclopedia Brown,

Thank you for your continued interest. Your e-mail has been added to your file for the Admissions Committee.

Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact our office.

Best,

----------
Office of Admissions
Georgetown University Law Center

Edited to put the actual letter in.

lawapps0502

Bronze

Post by lawapps0502 » Wed May 12, 2010 1:14 pm

Encyclopedia Brown wrote:
tommytahoe wrote:
MissLucky wrote:
nope

Umm... I actually did get an e-mail confirmation saying exactly that:
Dear Encyclopedia Brown,

Thank you for your continued interest. Your e-mail has been added to your file for the Admissions Committee.

Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact our office.

Best,

----------
Office of Admissions
Georgetown University Law Center

Edited to put the actual letter in.
hmmm....maybe they just haven't gotten to all the emails they received. when did they send you that response?

Encyclopedia Brown

Silver

Post by Encyclopedia Brown » Wed May 12, 2010 1:16 pm

lawapps0502 wrote:hmmm....maybe they just haven't gotten to all the emails they received. when did they send you that response?
Yesterday afternoon. Plus, I sent my WL response on Monday afternoon, right after I got their e-mail, so maybe I was just one of the first to respond.

tommytahoe

Silver

Post by tommytahoe » Wed May 12, 2010 1:27 pm

lawapps0502 wrote:hmmm....maybe they just haven't gotten to all the emails they received. when did they send you that response?
Yesterday afternoon. Plus, I sent my WL response on Monday afternoon, right after I got their e-mail, so maybe I was just one of the first to respond.
Fair enough. I sent mine yesterday afternoon, after COB on the East Coast. If they were to respond to me, surely I couldn't expect a response turnaround within 4 hours of the following day.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

danidancer

Silver

Post by danidancer » Wed May 12, 2010 1:33 pm

WL email received 6:16pm, Monday. My response was sent at 6:20pm. Radio Silence. Granted, my response was just a super short, yes please still consider me. But that's b/c I'm drafting a LOCI love letter to end all love letters to send in the next couple of weeks.

MissLucky

Silver

Post by MissLucky » Wed May 12, 2010 1:37 pm

danidancer wrote:
WL email received 6:16pm, Monday. My response was sent at 6:20pm. Radio Silence. Granted, my response was just a super short, yes please still consider me. But that's b/c I'm drafting a LOCI love letter to end all love letters to send in the next couple of weeks.
oh dear...i sent my response yesterday at 9am -ish....no confirmation response...

tommytahoe

Silver

Post by tommytahoe » Wed May 12, 2010 1:46 pm

danidancer wrote:
Ha ha. I've bared my soul the last two times (and meant it, FWIW). I told them I would contact them in 3 weeks to remind them of some of the things I love about them, not me.

pertristis

Bronze

Post by pertristis » Wed May 12, 2010 4:41 pm

I ended up withdrawing today. Since I deposited, I hope that one of you with similar numbers gets my seat (here's lookin' at you, EB).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

savesthedayajb

Silver

Post by savesthedayajb » Wed May 12, 2010 5:10 pm

pertristis wrote:I ended up withdrawing today. Since I deposited, I hope that one of you with similar numbers gets my seat (here's lookin' at you, EB).
Thanks, good luck to you. Yeah we are all rooting for EB.

Encyclopedia Brown

Silver

Post by Encyclopedia Brown » Wed May 12, 2010 5:14 pm

pertristis wrote:I ended up withdrawing today. Since I deposited, I hope that one of you with similar numbers gets my seat (here's lookin' at you, EB).
From your mouth to God's ears! I appreciate the good wishes from all of you on here. Where are you headed, pertristis?

pertristis

Bronze

Post by pertristis » Wed May 12, 2010 6:00 pm

From your mouth to God's ears! I appreciate the good wishes from all of you on here. Where are you headed, pertristis?
The short answer is nowhere. I asked GULC if they'd reinstate my scholarship. I got a thanks-but-no-thanks email from them yesterday. It also so happens that I received a how-about-you-apply-ED-next-year-and-we'll-be-happy-to-have-you phone call from UVa on Friday. That sealed it.

The longer answer is: if Penn/UVa/NYU don't admit me from the WL this year, I won't go anywhere. I'll be applying next cycle, either UVa ED, or a full T14 blitz (minus Yale, Stanford, Boalt, and Duke).

EB, I've been pulling for you all cycle. A long time ago, I sent you a TLS email, since we had nearly identical numbers. I'm still hoping you get into somewhere great.

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Wed May 12, 2010 6:42 pm

One of my reasons for remaining PT was that my office was willing to keep me employed while I am in school. Georgetown is the only PT program I am looking at, and the rest of my schools are FT. I need to tell my boss yes or no (staying on part time, or last day in July) relatively soon. Certainly before June 8th. Are odds so slim of getting in at this point that I should just quit and then hope I can find another job or beg for this one back if miraculously it works out? Or should I say I'm staying and risk burning a major bridge and putting my employer in a bad position if I have to leave mid-summer?

Advice?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nowinGA

Bronze

Post by nowinGA » Wed May 12, 2010 7:12 pm

jks289 wrote:One of my reasons for remaining PT was that my office was willing to keep me employed while I am in school. Georgetown is the only PT program I am looking at, and the rest of my schools are FT. I need to tell my boss yes or no (staying on part time, or last day in July) relatively soon. Certainly before June 8th. Are odds so slim of getting in at this point that I should just quit and then hope I can find another job or beg for this one back if miraculously it works out? Or should I say I'm staying and risk burning a major bridge and putting my employer in a bad position if I have to leave mid-summer?

Advice?
Can you just be completely honest with your boss as to your predicament? And how these wait lists work throughout the summer...?

tesoro

Bronze

Post by tesoro » Wed May 12, 2010 7:55 pm

jks289 wrote:One of my reasons for remaining PT was that my office was willing to keep me employed while I am in school. Georgetown is the only PT program I am looking at, and the rest of my schools are FT. I need to tell my boss yes or no (staying on part time, or last day in July) relatively soon. Certainly before June 8th. Are odds so slim of getting in at this point that I should just quit and then hope I can find another job or beg for this one back if miraculously it works out? Or should I say I'm staying and risk burning a major bridge and putting my employer in a bad position if I have to leave mid-summer?

Advice?
How important is the job to you? If you're in at GWU, you can try to move to the PT program. If you're in at a school worth quitting over, quit. If you're not, you can always apply again next year (I know this option sucks... but you don't appear to be considering it as a real option).

edit: just to add, my own personal situation involved me applying to a lot of schools both PT and FT. At the end of the day, though, there's no way I could see myself quitting my job. Had I not been admitted to one of the top 3 PT programs (in @ Fordham) I would have reapplied next year.

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Thu May 13, 2010 1:53 pm

tesoro wrote:

Advice?
How important is the job to you? If you're in at GWU, you can try to move to the PT program. If you're in at a school worth quitting over, quit. If you're not, you can always apply again next year (I know this option sucks... but you don't appear to be considering it as a real option).

edit: just to add, my own personal situation involved me applying to a lot of schools both PT and FT. At the end of the day, though, there's no way I could see myself quitting my job. Had I not been admitted to one of the top 3 PT programs (in @ Fordham) I would have reapplied next year.
Thanks. I haven't applied to any other PT programs, as GULC is the only one I feel is worth attending over my current FT options. The deadline on making a decisions exists because I'll need time to train my replacement. I may be able to train someone if I find I'm out mid-June and work through until school starts. This is the worst part about waitlists, they make everything incredibly uncertain.

ryguy

Bronze

Post by ryguy » Thu May 13, 2010 2:19 pm

Just got the Preferred Waitlist email. I WILL GO if offered admission!!!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AdamatUCF

Bronze

Post by AdamatUCF » Thu May 13, 2010 2:38 pm

ryguy wrote:Just got the Preferred Waitlist email. I WILL GO if offered admission!!!
Did they just send you an initial decision, or did they upgrade you from regular to preferred?

Also, mind sharing your stats?

MissLucky

Silver

Post by MissLucky » Thu May 13, 2010 5:22 pm

how many deposits are there at gtown for admitted students? 1st one was may 3, right? and the second one is June 1...is there another one after that and how much is each deposit?

thanks!

tommytahoe

Silver

Post by tommytahoe » Thu May 13, 2010 5:39 pm

MissLucky wrote:how many deposits are there at gtown for admitted students? 1st one was may 3, right? and the second one is June 1...is there another one after that and how much is each deposit?

thanks!
Pretty certain that was the last one, although of course folks can withdraw of their own accord if unforeseen things (CLS offer, eg) pop up.

MissLucky

Silver

Post by MissLucky » Thu May 13, 2010 5:41 pm

tommytahoe wrote:
MissLucky wrote:how many deposits are there at gtown for admitted students? 1st one was may 3, right? and the second one is June 1...is there another one after that and how much is each deposit?

thanks!
Pretty certain that was the last one, although of course folks can withdraw of their own accord if unforeseen things (CLS offer, eg) pop up.

oh interesting...so then right around post-june 1 is really when most openings will happen, no? yikes!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tommytahoe

Silver

Post by tommytahoe » Thu May 13, 2010 5:48 pm

MissLucky wrote:
tommytahoe wrote:

thanks!

oh interesting...so then right around post-june 1 is really when most openings will happen, no? yikes!
Wait, no, that ship just sailed, I'm afraid.
That's what this past week has been about for all us nail biters. I think that Andy C. et al just finalized their class period, with no changes anticipated here on out except for occasional withdraws from students who either got that coveted Chicago offer, or who decide they want to fight in Pakistan or play piano or whatever.
I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, folks...

MissLucky

Silver

Post by MissLucky » Thu May 13, 2010 5:54 pm

tommytahoe wrote:
MissLucky wrote:
tommytahoe wrote:

thanks!

That's what this past week has been about for all us nail biters. I think that Andy C. et al just finalized their class period, with no changes anticipated here on out except for occasional withdraws from students who either got that coveted Chicago offer, or who decide they want to fight in Pakistan or play piano or whatever.
oh i just thought that maybe tons of admitted students laid down the first deposit, many of whom had no intention of going, but just to keep options open until the second and bigger deposit sum. idk though....what will happen will happpen...

SilverE2

Silver

Post by SilverE2 » Thu May 13, 2010 7:06 pm

tommytahoe wrote:
MissLucky wrote:
tommytahoe wrote:

thanks!

From the waitlist email: "The response to this deadline was quite strong. Consequently, we don't anticipate that there will be any movement on the waitlist until after our second deposit deadline on June 1st."

So looks like there is a second deadline on June 1st. :)

tommytahoe

Silver

Post by tommytahoe » Thu May 13, 2010 7:15 pm

SilverE2 wrote:
tommytahoe wrote:
MissLucky wrote:

thanks!
From the waitlist email: "The response to this deadline was quite strong. Consequently, we don't anticipate that there will be any movement on the waitlist until after our second deposit deadline on June 1st."

So looks like there is a second deadline on June 1st. :)
Wait, I am so OUT OF IT, sorry guys. I just got my months mixed up!!
Well, I'm glad I'm wrong.
Yeah, I don't know how MUCH movement there will be, but I imagine there may be some.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”