Case Western 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
creamedcats
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:44 am

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby creamedcats » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:45 pm

Eh, I have the 3.15 requirement too and I agree with her. If it means they can give out more scholarships to people to get them in the door, it's a good thing for the students and the school. If something really disastrous happens to interrupt someone's studies I'm sure the school will let them work around it, anyway. Wouldn't worry about it.

User avatar
84Sunbird2000
Posts: 756
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:39 pm

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:47 pm

charlesjd wrote:My stipulation is good standing anyways so if I get below that I am screwed anyways lol.


What?? Your scholly at Case is good standing??

charlesjd
Posts: 362
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:28 am

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby charlesjd » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:49 pm

Full time LSAT: 157-161 (75th went up 1 point)
Full Time GPA: 3.21-3.64 (same as last year I think)

I assume the median was 159.

I am assuming our class will be much higher due to such a larger applicant pool.

Maybe 157-163ish and 3.3-3.7ish? That is my prediction.

charlesjd
Posts: 362
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:28 am

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby charlesjd » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:50 pm

84Sunbird2000 wrote:
charlesjd wrote:My stipulation is good standing anyways so if I get below that I am screwed anyways lol.


What?? Your scholly at Case is good standing??


Yup :)

User avatar
creamedcats
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:44 am

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby creamedcats » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:59 pm

charlesjd wrote:Full time LSAT: 157-161 (75th went up 1 point)
Full Time GPA: 3.21-3.64 (same as last year I think)

I assume the median was 159.

I am assuming our class will be much higher due to such a larger applicant pool.

Maybe 157-163ish and 3.3-3.7ish? That is my prediction.


Really? That's not what was in the leaked docs, they said 156-160 and GPA exactly .01 lower. They were wrong? Or those overall numbers include part-time, don't they? There are a tiny number of part-timers at Case...

User avatar
creamedcats
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:44 am

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby creamedcats » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:03 pm

Charles, where did Case rank for International Law?

charlesjd
Posts: 362
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:28 am

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby charlesjd » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:12 pm

creamedcats wrote:
charlesjd wrote:Full time LSAT: 157-161 (75th went up 1 point)
Full Time GPA: 3.21-3.64 (same as last year I think)

I assume the median was 159.

I am assuming our class will be much higher due to such a larger applicant pool.

Maybe 157-163ish and 3.3-3.7ish? That is my prediction.


Really? That's not what was in the leaked docs, they said 156-160 and GPA exactly .01 lower. They were wrong? Or those overall numbers include part-time, don't they? There are a tiny number of part-timers at Case...


156-160 = PT+FT the overall ranking numbers include both.

157-161 = just FT

They were wrong because it said 152-157 but online says 150-157, unless they are still updating.

charlesjd
Posts: 362
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:28 am

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby charlesjd » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:17 pm

creamedcats wrote:Charles, where did Case rank for International Law?


No, we did not unfortunately.

In specialty, just like the leak said, 3rd in healthcare law.

macaulian
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:11 pm

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby macaulian » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:19 pm

Isn't 145k really high for top 25 percent?
Last edited by macaulian on Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

macaulian
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:11 pm

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby macaulian » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:19 pm

Can you explain the abreviations: ma enc sa pa

charlesjd
Posts: 362
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:28 am

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby charlesjd » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:21 pm

macaulian wrote:Can you explain the abreviations: ma enc sa pa


They are the regions of the United States

Mid Atlantic
East North Central
South Atlantic
Pacific

User avatar
creamedcats
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:44 am

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby creamedcats » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:23 pm

charlesjd wrote:
creamedcats wrote:Charles, where did Case rank for International Law?


No, we did not unfortunately.

In specialty, just like the leak said, 3rd in healthcare law.


Not anywhere in the 17 listed? It was there last year.

User avatar
roguey
Posts: 291
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:45 am

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby roguey » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:33 pm

Off topic question. Does anyone know of any good karaoke dive bars in Cleveland?

charlesjd
Posts: 362
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:28 am

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby charlesjd » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:35 pm

creamedcats wrote:
charlesjd wrote:
creamedcats wrote:Charles, where did Case rank for International Law?


No, we did not unfortunately.

In specialty, just like the leak said, 3rd in healthcare law.


Not anywhere in the 17 listed? It was there last year.


1 New York University New York, NY
2 Columbia University New York, NY
3 Georgetown University Washington, DC
4 Harvard University Cambridge, MA
5 Yale University New Haven, CT
6 George Washington University Washington, DC
University of Michigan--Ann Arbor Ann Arbor, MI
8 American University (Washington) Washington, DC
9 University of Virginia Charlottesville, VA
10 Duke University Durham, NC
11 Stanford University Stanford, CA
12 Temple University (Beasley) Philadelphia, PA
University of California--Berkeley Berkeley, CA
14 Washington University in St. Louis St. Louis, MO
15 Northwestern University Chicago, IL
University of Texas--Austin Austin, TX
University of the Pacific (McGeorge) Sacramento, CA

What was it last year?

User avatar
snowpeach06
Posts: 2426
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:32 am

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby snowpeach06 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:36 pm

alannak wrote:Does anyone know what the parking situation is like on campus??? I live off campus in undergrad now and wish I didn't because it takes me at least 15 minutes to find a spot every day... which is why for LS I was thinking I wanted to live within walking distance-- to avoid this hassle. Are spots available close to the LS building? :D

There is a parking garage. It will cost you $650 a year. But, it's not hard to find a spot. Still, the shuttles are incredibly unreliable, and it's easier to live iwithing walking distance.

User avatar
creamedcats
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:44 am

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby creamedcats » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:45 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:There is a parking garage. It will cost you $650 a year.


Ugh. Is that the one on Circle Dr? Or is there one closer?

Street parking is a big problem? Is it metered?

User avatar
JCougar
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby JCougar » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:47 pm

macaulian wrote:Isn't 145k really high for top 25 percent?


Yes, but only 68% of the class reported their salary, which is low from what I've seen. Because of the low response rate, 145k could be as high as the top 17%, which still isn't bad. The ones who didn't report are more likely to be those who had little inclination to report.

Despite that, Case places well for it's ranking, and is an underranked school.

I'm in a bind, because I think I'm going to have to withdraw even though Case is the top school I have been admitted to so far. They gave me more of a scholarship than I was expecting, but I'm also waitlisted at a handful of schools that I would choose over it. And my waitlists are more last-minute file completion waitlists than borderline numbers waitlists. I was a February retaker, and coupled with every single other school except for Case taking forever, I'm a bit behind on the whole process of figuring out my choices.

I know I would be happy at Case for the amount they gave me, but it's not likely enough of a choice for me right now to throw down $200. I kind of feel like a fool for throwing away my best offer on the table so far, though. Maybe I can call and get a week extension on the deadline.
Last edited by JCougar on Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
creamedcats
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:44 am

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby creamedcats » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:49 pm

charlesjd wrote:
creamedcats wrote:
charlesjd wrote:
creamedcats wrote:Charles, where did Case rank for International Law?


No, we did not unfortunately.

In specialty, just like the leak said, 3rd in healthcare law.


Not anywhere in the 17 listed? It was there last year.


1 New York University New York, NY
2 Columbia University New York, NY
3 Georgetown University Washington, DC
4 Harvard University Cambridge, MA
5 Yale University New Haven, CT
6 George Washington University Washington, DC
University of Michigan--Ann Arbor Ann Arbor, MI
8 American University (Washington) Washington, DC
9 University of Virginia Charlottesville, VA
10 Duke University Durham, NC
11 Stanford University Stanford, CA
12 Temple University (Beasley) Philadelphia, PA
University of California--Berkeley Berkeley, CA
14 Washington University in St. Louis St. Louis, MO
15 Northwestern University Chicago, IL
University of Texas--Austin Austin, TX
University of the Pacific (McGeorge) Sacramento, CA

What was it last year?


Guess I remembered wrong - it wasn't listed last year.

User avatar
creamedcats
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:44 am

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby creamedcats » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:57 pm

JCougar wrote:
macaulian wrote:Isn't 145k really high for top 25 percent?


Yes, but only 68% of the class reported their salary, which is low from what I've seen. Because of the lack of response rate, 145k could be as high as the top 17%, which still isn't bad. The ones who didn't report are more likely to be those who had little inclination to report.

Despite that, Case places well for it's ranking, and is an underranked school.

I'm in a bind, because I think I'm going to have to withdraw even though Case is the top school I have been admitted to so far. They gave me more of a scholarship than I was expecting, but I'm also waitlisted at a handful of schools that I would choose over it. And my waitlists are more last-minute file completion waitlists than borderline numbers waitlists. I was a February retaker, and coupled with every single other school except for Case taking forever, I'm a bit behind on the whole process of figuring out my choices.

I know I would be happy at Case for the amount they gave me, but it's not likely enough of a choice for me right now to throw down $200. I kind of feel like a fool for throwing away my best offer on the table so far, though. Maybe I can call and get a week extension on the deadline.


Is it money or are you waiting on another school? Call them today and tell them you'll deposit if they bump your scholarship, that you'll probably have to withdraw if not, and if they say they can't, ask for the extension. Is there a 'magic number' for you? I see you on LSN - they might give you a bump.

charlesjd
Posts: 362
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:28 am

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby charlesjd » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:58 pm

macaulian wrote:Isn't 145k really high for top 25 percent?


Less reported last year, I believe 62% and it was at 140K... 6% more reported and it went up 5K and the 25th dropped 4K and the private median stayed the same at 110K. Makes sense to me.

Case places almost 4% in the Vault top 20, pretty high for its ranking. About 12% in the NLJ 250. I could see why the salaries are higher. Jones Day loves Case grads.
Last edited by charlesjd on Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

charlesjd
Posts: 362
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:28 am

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby charlesjd » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:00 am

creamedcats wrote:
JCougar wrote:
macaulian wrote:Isn't 145k really high for top 25 percent?


Yes, but only 68% of the class reported their salary, which is low from what I've seen. Because of the lack of response rate, 145k could be as high as the top 17%, which still isn't bad. The ones who didn't report are more likely to be those who had little inclination to report.

Despite that, Case places well for it's ranking, and is an underranked school.

I'm in a bind, because I think I'm going to have to withdraw even though Case is the top school I have been admitted to so far. They gave me more of a scholarship than I was expecting, but I'm also waitlisted at a handful of schools that I would choose over it. And my waitlists are more last-minute file completion waitlists than borderline numbers waitlists. I was a February retaker, and coupled with every single other school except for Case taking forever, I'm a bit behind on the whole process of figuring out my choices.

I know I would be happy at Case for the amount they gave me, but it's not likely enough of a choice for me right now to throw down $200. I kind of feel like a fool for throwing away my best offer on the table so far, though. Maybe I can call and get a week extension on the deadline.


Is it money or are you waiting on another school? Call them today and tell them you'll deposit if they bump your scholarship, that you'll probably have to withdraw if not, and if they say they can't, ask for the extension. Is there a 'magic number' for you? I see you on LSN - they might give you a bump.


My opinion is you are making a mistake. I am also waitlisted at some T20's, but the possibility of getting off a waitlist is small at this point, plus I would rather take the money. Out of the T12 (I think it is now lol), rankings do not really matter.

I gotta get off this damn site. Senioritis is killing me. I have to finish some homework.

User avatar
creamedcats
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:44 am

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby creamedcats » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:10 am

charlesjd wrote:
macaulian wrote:Isn't 145k really high for top 25 percent?


Less reported last year, I believe 62% and it was at 140K... 6% more reported and it went up 5K and the 25th dropped 4K and the private median stayed the same at 110K. Makes sense to me.


Did 25% of Case grads go BigLaw in a down year? No. Way. However, 25% of 68% is 17%, which is more in line with the number of Case grads placing in NLJ250 in past years, and some others are probably getting random high-paying jobs as company counsels or in business. Seems alright to me - a mix of 160k BigLaw and 130k Cleveland Big/Mid Law and some other random jobs.

I'd bet much of the remaining 32% is not doing very well.

User avatar
84Sunbird2000
Posts: 756
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:39 pm

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:21 am

I saw IUB's 2009 stats yesterday at the school, and Case did WAY better than IUB in 2009 overall. Again, I think Case is an amazing option within its rank and considering the scholarships they give out per LSAT/GPA.

User avatar
JCougar
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby JCougar » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:22 am

creamedcats wrote:
JCougar wrote:Yes, but only 68% of the class reported their salary, which is low from what I've seen. Because of the lack of response rate, 145k could be as high as the top 17%, which still isn't bad. The ones who didn't report are more likely to be those who had little inclination to report.

Despite that, Case places well for it's ranking, and is an underranked school.

I'm in a bind, because I think I'm going to have to withdraw even though Case is the top school I have been admitted to so far. They gave me more of a scholarship than I was expecting, but I'm also waitlisted at a handful of schools that I would choose over it. And my waitlists are more last-minute file completion waitlists than borderline numbers waitlists. I was a February retaker, and coupled with every single other school except for Case taking forever, I'm a bit behind on the whole process of figuring out my choices.

I know I would be happy at Case for the amount they gave me, but it's not likely enough of a choice for me right now to throw down $200. I kind of feel like a fool for throwing away my best offer on the table so far, though. Maybe I can call and get a week extension on the deadline.


Is it money or are you waiting on another school? Call them today and tell them you'll deposit if they bump your scholarship, that you'll probably have to withdraw if not, and if they say they can't, ask for the extension. Is there a 'magic number' for you? I see you on LSN - they might give you a bump.


It's more the other schools. I believe I have been yield protected at Wisconsin where I get in-state tuition (which would make it cheaper than Case anyways). I sent in my LOCI there today. Also, WUSTL has admitted many people with my numbers early on in the cycle, and Dean Pless said that he expects waitlist activity at Illinois to be moderate to heavy this year. And I haven't heard ANYTHING from Minnesota yet. It's not the money...what I really need is an extension. My cycle started late due to my February retake and I really haven't heard back definitively from enough schools to make any decisions yet. I'm not really all that concerned with the ranks of the other schools, since I think Case should be ranked much higher in the first place. I want Chicago biglaw like it's nobody's business, and Case is fine for that and would be cheaper than some of my other options. I just need more time, but I'm also mindful of other students on the waitlist wanting to get in.

charlesjd
Posts: 362
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:28 am

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby charlesjd » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:30 am

84Sunbird2000 wrote:I saw IUB's 2009 stats yesterday at the school, and Case did WAY better than IUB in 2009 overall. Again, I think Case is an amazing option within its rank and considering the scholarships they give out per LSAT/GPA.


+100000

When I visited the financial aid guy was like yeah, the state is lowering our funding so tuition is rising over 42K for you and will continue to rise.

lol

IUB just has higher LSAT/ GPA ranges. Otherwise it would be ranked muchhhhhh lower.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AustinLu, carlos_danger, Google Adsense [Bot], Lhcarter22, studyingeveryday, xnsch and 16 guests