Case Western 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
alannak

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby alannak » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:33 pm

nick637 wrote:I cannot wait for Thursday for the rankings to come out. Do we have any predictions as to where Case will end up this year? My guess is right above top 50, probably 51. (Don't wanna get my hopes up)

Really? I was kind of under the impression that they would drop. =\

nick637

Postby nick637 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:39 pm

alannak wrote:
nick637 wrote:I cannot wait for Thursday for the rankings to come out. Do we have any predictions as to where Case will end up this year? My guess is right above top 50, probably 51. (Don't wanna get my hopes up)

Really? I was kind of under the impression that they would drop. =\

who knows, im a wishful thinker. It's not like im gonna withdraw if they drop

charlesjd

Postby charlesjd » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:05 pm

49-53-65-55
2006- 2007-2008-2009

The past dean openly did not care about rankings. This past October Robert Rawson, the new dean, extended his time as dean until mid 2011. He is a partner in Jones Day and hopefully he does care. If he is a partner in BigLaw, I would assume he does. Since it was T50 and then dropped and went back up again, I am assuming the last dean really didn't care. There is a reason he stepped down/ was fired lol. I am hope now.

There really is no trend so I am going to assume we stay relativity the same, possibly rise a few spots. Top 50 is a possibility. However from what I could tell they kept their 159 median... based on travel stipend, or maybe I am wrong and they meant it as last years median. However if the numbers go up, the ranking will also. No matter what it has a good reputation and it is underrated.

I am buying the online version at 12 AM on the 15th lol.

I think the 2012 rankings will show a substantial jump = our numbers. They are higher from what I can tell based on past years on LSN.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:27 pm

I took a tour today. I know in the long run it is unimportant compared to other things, but I have to say the building sucks. The classrooms are dark and depressing. Literally no windows. And there aren't many random places around the building to study. That said, I think what i like most about Case is the people and the job prospects.

So... anyone looking for a roomie for next year? I was thinking of living in the Triangle, since it is so close to the law school, and I don't like to wake up any earlier than need be. PM me if you are maybe possibly interested (even though I could see how it would be uncomfortable to try and find a roomie through the internet, because part of me kind of thinks it is).

P.S - I'm a girl.

alannak

Postby alannak » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:33 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:I took a tour today. I know in the long run it is unimportant compared to other things, but I have to say the building sucks. The classrooms are dark and depressing. Literally no windows. And there aren't many random places around the building to study. That said, I think what i like most about Case is the people and the job prospects.

So... anyone looking for a roomie for next year? I was thinking of living in the Triangle, since it is so close to the law school, and I don't like to wake up any earlier than need be. PM me if you are maybe possibly interested (even though I could see how it would be uncomfortable to try and find a roomie through the internet, because part of me kind of thinks it is).

P.S - I'm a girl.

What is the main library like? Is it quiet? At my undergrad school, for some reason that I can never understand, sororities have "library hours" for the girls who are rushing and for like 2 months they take up a floor of the library doing art projects and giggling. Does this happen at Case? hehe

alannak

Postby alannak » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:39 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:I took a tour today. I know in the long run it is unimportant compared to other things, but I have to say the building sucks. The classrooms are dark and depressing. Literally no windows. And there aren't many random places around the building to study. That said, I think what i like most about Case is the people and the job prospects.

P.S - I'm a girl.

Also, since I know you're an undergrad at Case now.. The campus as a whole doesn't seem too big so I feel like it wouldn't be a big deal to go into other buildings. Have you found nice quiet places on campus to study that are less dark and deathly looking than the law building?

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:54 pm

alannak wrote:

P.S - I'm a girl.

What is the main library like? Is it quiet? At my undergrad school, for some reason that I can never understand, sororities have "library hours" for the girls who are rushing and for like 2 months they take up a floor of the library doing art projects and giggling. Does this happen at Case? hehe

The main campus library? It's like a 5 minute walk, and it's really, really ridiculously nice. New, open, big comfy leather chairs. I love it. The law library apparently also underwent a renovation, it's probably the nicest part of the building. I like the part of it that overlooks the street. And no, our sororities are pretty academic anyway (Case is just an academically oriented, even nerdy place) so they study on their own, without being forced to. They pride themselves on having the highest GPA.

Also, uhm, PBL, the crazy looking building next door is nice and new. But, not particularly sunny, esp. because all the best spots with couches and stuff are in the basement. The main floor is fairly open though. It's great to study outside during the spring - everyone sits on the wet-dry fountain across the street. But, in the winter, I find myself primarily studying in my room. There is a yellow building, Guilford, which is charming. But a lot of the lobby's at this school lack sun. None so bad as the law building though. I feel like a slight sun addict. I get creeped out without natural light.

charlesjd

Postby charlesjd » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:27 pm

Case stayed the same, either 54, 55, or 56, I cannot see the scan is blurry and their bar passage rose to 88%. Cincinnati dropped below Case or is tied whereas they were above. OSU is 90% bar passage and is ranked 34.

Still 156-160

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:32 pm

At least it's not down. I'm cool with that, then.

charlesjd

Postby charlesjd » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:39 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:At least it's not down. I'm cool with that, then.

Yeah, I am happy the bar passage rose substantially. The rest of the numbers are almost identical. Then again these numbers are from last year. I can't wait to see next years with our information.

Though I was hoping that the LSAT and GPA would have rose more.. at least to a 160 median and maybe a 3.6 median gpa.

SniperBarbie

Postby SniperBarbie » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:02 pm

charlesjd wrote:Though I was hoping that the LSAT and GPA would have rose more.. at least to a 160 median and maybe a 3.6 median gpa.

Maybe if they accepted more people with a better grasp of the past conditional tense?

nick637

Postby nick637 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:04 pm

nice job case.

charlesjd

Postby charlesjd » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:55 pm

nick637 wrote:nice job case.

I think they were sucessful with holding their spot, yet no upping their ranges... it is actually kind of amazing that they did that lol....

plus the 88% bar passage is :) along with the #3 for medical law now when we were five.... so it is good.

creamedcats

Postby creamedcats » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:37 pm

I just decided to get off the fence and commit, I don't want to wait a year to go to school. Case is a good deal. See you all there.

vijemi

Postby vijemi » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:40 pm

P.S - I'm a girl.

Looking here is probably better than looking on Craigslist I would imagine. I will probably end up finding a roomie online since chances I'll be going somewhere nowhere close to where I currently live but too bad I have no idea where I'm going yet...

Nat1018

Postby Nat1018 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:42 pm

creamedcats wrote:I just decided to get off the fence and commit, I don't want to wait a year to go to school. Case is a good deal. See you all there.

Congrats on your decision! I'm still on trying to decide between OSU and Case....what made you commit to Case?

nick637

Postby nick637 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:52 pm

I think I'm gonna visit case unofficially this Saturday. Can anyone tell me where I should park? I am looking to just scope out where I'll be spending most of my time namely the law and main libraries as well as some of the other buildings on campus. Also any recommendations for good spots to eat lunch would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

creamedcats

Postby creamedcats » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:57 pm

Nat1018 wrote:
creamedcats wrote:I just decided to get off the fence and commit, I don't want to wait a year to go to school. Case is a good deal. See you all there.

Congrats on your decision! I'm still on trying to decide between OSU and Case....what made you commit to Case?

The international law program (even though I'm not aiming for a career in that), the scholarship, positive contact with faculty, recommendation from alumni/friends, and several of the lawyers I work with affirming that, in terms of working in the private sector later, Case is more than okay, and not just in Cleveland. Originally I planned to wait it out and reapply, but the actual number of schools I figured I could get into (even with a higher LSAT, which is not guaranteed) and get money from wasn't that long and I didn't find any of them especially compelling.

As for Case v. OSU, I think it's mostly preference. OSU has more faculty who are strong publishers and have prestigious degrees, ie Yale, and their specialty programs are probably quite useful (dispute resolution), plus you have a much larger university behind the school. If I'd had the same scholarship at both schools, I probably still would have chosen Case, but it would have been because I'm biased towards Cleveland and it would have been extra agonizing. They're both good schools, and OSU is the strongest one in Ohio overall.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:24 pm

nick637 wrote:I think I'm gonna visit case unofficially this Saturday. Can anyone tell me where I should park? I am looking to just scope out where I'll be spending most of my time namely the law and main libraries as well as some of the other buildings on campus. Also any recommendations for good spots to eat lunch would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Park either on the street on Bellflower (which is sorta do-able on weekends) or I think at the botanical garden which is across the street.

As for lunch - Aladin's! It's this middle eastern place on Cedar road, which is cheap and friggin' amazing. One of my favorite lunch spots. Or if htat fails, you can do Coventry, I particularly like Mint Cafe. But, seriously, try Aladins if you like Middle eastern.

alee825

Postby alee825 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:19 pm

Sitting in on a class this Friday at 10:30 am...anyone else going?

macaulian

Postby macaulian » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:05 pm

what class?

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:58 pm

Just put in my seat deposit. It's official.

nick637

Postby nick637 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:08 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:Just put in my seat deposit. It's official.

Congrats! Hopefully ill meet some you TLS'ers before i move to cleveland for good

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:26 pm

nick637 wrote:

Congrats! Hopefully ill meet some you TLS'ers before i move to cleveland for good

We should plan a big "Welcome to Cleveland BBQ."

nick637

Postby nick637 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:27 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
nick637 wrote:

We should plan a big "Welcome to Cleveland BBQ."

Is something going on in June for all admitted students? Im too lazy to look for myself

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”