Case Western 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
texlawtex
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:11 pm

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby texlawtex » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:36 am

pretty sure you have to print and send in the attatched letter, i think the deposit is just so you have a seat

User avatar
alannak
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:54 pm

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby alannak » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:34 am

vijemi wrote:can anyone clue me in as to how we can hold our scholarships? Do we just submit our seat deposit and its held for us or do we have to fill out the scholarship's form itself in addition to the seat deposit? any input is appreciated, thanks.


print out the scholarship letter (the attachment) and sign it and mail it.

vijemi
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:12 pm

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby vijemi » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:33 am

alannak wrote:
vijemi wrote:can anyone clue me in as to how we can hold our scholarships? Do we just submit our seat deposit and its held for us or do we have to fill out the scholarship's form itself in addition to the seat deposit? any input is appreciated, thanks.


print out the scholarship letter (the attachment) and sign it and mail it.


thanks for the answers, is the scholarship binding in any way?

User avatar
roguey
Posts: 291
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:45 am

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby roguey » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:40 am

vijemi wrote:
alannak wrote:
vijemi wrote:can anyone clue me in as to how we can hold our scholarships? Do we just submit our seat deposit and its held for us or do we have to fill out the scholarship's form itself in addition to the seat deposit? any input is appreciated, thanks.


print out the scholarship letter (the attachment) and sign it and mail it.


thanks for the answers, is the scholarship binding in any way?

I was told that the two deposit option is not binding (not even the second deposit), but I forgot to ask about the scholarship decision. If anyone knows, please let us know. If not, I will email Mrs. Phillips later today.

User avatar
badpixie
Posts: 240
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby badpixie » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:24 pm

roguey wrote:
vijemi wrote:
alannak wrote:
vijemi wrote:can anyone clue me in as to how we can hold our scholarships? Do we just submit our seat deposit and its held for us or do we have to fill out the scholarship's form itself in addition to the seat deposit? any input is appreciated, thanks.


print out the scholarship letter (the attachment) and sign it and mail it.


thanks for the answers, is the scholarship binding in any way?

I was told that the two deposit option is not binding (not even the second deposit), but I forgot to ask about the scholarship decision. If anyone knows, please let us know. If not, I will email Mrs. Phillips later today.


I'd love to know the answer to this too. Just got my acceptance email and scholly info today, but I won't have a chance to visit the school before the deadline.

jjd06e
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:01 pm

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby jjd06e » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:08 pm

My current status is " Eapp Receipt", how long did it take most of you to hear from them after you applied?

I doubt I get in, and only reason I applied is because I got an email from them. My scores prob arent enough to get me in, but with no application fee it was worth a try.

charlesjd
Posts: 362
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:28 am

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby charlesjd » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:10 pm

vijemi wrote:can anyone clue me in as to how we can hold our scholarships? Do we just submit our seat deposit and its held for us or do we have to fill out the scholarship's form itself in addition to the seat deposit? any input is appreciated, thanks.


I did this yesterday. I called and they said all you have to do is put down the first 200 postmarked two weeks after you were accepted (I did online via credit card) and also send the signed sheet in, which I sent priority.

texlawtex
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:11 pm

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby texlawtex » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:11 am

charlesjd wrote:
vijemi wrote:can anyone clue me in as to how we can hold our scholarships? Do we just submit our seat deposit and its held for us or do we have to fill out the scholarship's form itself in addition to the seat deposit? any input is appreciated, thanks.


I did this yesterday. I called and they said all you have to do is put down the first 200 postmarked two weeks after you were accepted (I did online via credit card) and also send the signed sheet in, which I sent priority.



Ooh i was tempted to do priority but i just went regular. I suppose its all the same, if they don't have it by the 13th or 14th i would probably freak out and overnight it to them or something hahaha.

User avatar
snowpeach06
Posts: 2426
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:32 am

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby snowpeach06 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:31 am

Does anyone remember if Case offers tutors for 1Ls? Or free printing? Random stuff, but I can't remember.

User avatar
nick637
Posts: 246
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby nick637 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:21 am

just sent my negotiation email. if case ups my scholly a tad ill be attending.

angioletto
Posts: 285
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby angioletto » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:12 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:Does anyone remember if Case offers tutors for 1Ls? Or free printing? Random stuff, but I can't remember.


No idea on tutors in general, but they do have a tutoring center for legal writing. They do have print quotas, so up to a certain amount is free. One 2L I spoke with said he never went over his quota, but I don't know if that is normal or if he just did a lot of printing at home.

User avatar
nick637
Posts: 246
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby nick637 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:14 pm

this has probably been discussed, but has anyone had any luck with scholarship negotiation?

User avatar
creamedcats
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:44 am

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby creamedcats » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:30 pm

nick637 wrote:this has probably been discussed, but has anyone had any luck with scholarship negotiation?


Someone mentioned they had in fact been successful, no amounts discussed. It's possible, apparently.

User avatar
sapp
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:33 pm

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby sapp » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:33 pm

nick637 wrote:this has probably been discussed, but has anyone had any luck with scholarship negotiation?


Everyone seems to be saying that they're pretty open about scholarship negotiation.

I managed to negotiate a small increase myself, but being as I was shocked to even be accepted, let alone get a scholarship - the small increase blew me away.

CWRU has been very impressive to me throughout this whole process. The organization, the friendly mannerisms, the attention to detail. Everything I've researched about CWRU has made me more and more interested and excited about it.

User avatar
nick637
Posts: 246
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby nick637 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:37 pm

sapp wrote:
nick637 wrote:this has probably been discussed, but has anyone had any luck with scholarship negotiation?


Everyone seems to be saying that they're pretty open about scholarship negotiation.

I managed to negotiate a small increase myself, but being as I was shocked to even be accepted, let alone get a scholarship - the small increase blew me away.

CWRU has been very impressive to me throughout this whole process. The organization, the friendly mannerisms, the attention to detail. Everything I've researched about CWRU has made me more and more interested and excited about it.



thats excellent news! How long did it take from the time you inquired about a merit increase until you were notified that you did in fact get a better scholly?

User avatar
sapp
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:33 pm

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby sapp » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:40 pm

nick637 wrote:thats excellent news! How long did it take from the time you inquired about a merit increase until you were notified that you did in fact get a better scholly?


Not long at all. I don't recall the specific time frame, but it was less than a week.

User avatar
nick637
Posts: 246
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby nick637 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:41 pm

sapp wrote:
nick637 wrote:thats excellent news! How long did it take from the time you inquired about a merit increase until you were notified that you did in fact get a better scholly?


Not long at all. I don't recall the specific time frame, but it was less than a week.


even better. all i am looking for is a 5k increase and im pretty excited about case

User avatar
nick637
Posts: 246
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby nick637 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:52 pm

Are law students securing leases for apartments yet?

User avatar
snowpeach06
Posts: 2426
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:32 am

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby snowpeach06 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:54 pm

nick637 wrote:
sapp wrote:
nick637 wrote:this has probably been discussed, but has anyone had any luck with scholarship negotiation?


Everyone seems to be saying that they're pretty open about scholarship negotiation.

I managed to negotiate a small increase myself, but being as I was shocked to even be accepted, let alone get a scholarship - the small increase blew me away.

CWRU has been very impressive to me throughout this whole process. The organization, the friendly mannerisms, the attention to detail. Everything I've researched about CWRU has made me more and more interested and excited about it.



thats excellent news! How long did it take from the time you inquired about a merit increase until you were notified that you did in fact get a better scholly?


It took me an hour to get an extra $4500, but I suggest calling. As wired as Case is, the admissions people don't seem to respond all that well to e-mails.

texlawtex
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:11 pm

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby texlawtex » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:22 pm

nick637 wrote:Are law students securing leases for apartments yet?


Good question. I visited a while back, and have been checking out the scene on google maps (which has a 3-d function now btw). Anyone have any suggestions, advice, info?

charlesjd
Posts: 362
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:28 am

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby charlesjd » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:30 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
nick637 wrote:
sapp wrote:
nick637 wrote:this has probably been discussed, but has anyone had any luck with scholarship negotiation?


Everyone seems to be saying that they're pretty open about scholarship negotiation.

I managed to negotiate a small increase myself, but being as I was shocked to even be accepted, let alone get a scholarship - the small increase blew me away.

CWRU has been very impressive to me throughout this whole process. The organization, the friendly mannerisms, the attention to detail. Everything I've researched about CWRU has made me more and more interested and excited about it.



thats excellent news! How long did it take from the time you inquired about a merit increase until you were notified that you did in fact get a better scholly?


It took me an hour to get an extra $4500, but I suggest calling. As wired as Case is, the admissions people don't seem to respond all that well to e-mails.


I better call them tomorrow. I sent an email because some a lady in financial aid said to. she said they cant talk about aid over the phone... LIES

User avatar
snowpeach06
Posts: 2426
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:32 am

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby snowpeach06 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:38 am

texlawtex wrote:
nick637 wrote:Are law students securing leases for apartments yet?


Good question. I visited a while back, and have been checking out the scene on google maps (which has a 3-d function now btw). Anyone have any suggestions, advice, info?

I'm strongly considering the Triangle, even though it is more expensive, because it's only a 3 blocks away, and has free parking. Hessler is a good street, if you can find availability. Then Little Italy and Coventry are cheaper, but further away (still walk-able though, depending). Unless you plan on driving every day, those are the only places I suggest.

If you do plan on driving, there are a bunch of houses in University Heights and Cleveland Heights and Shaker Heights (we have a theme) for rent. So if you get enough roomies, that could be affordable as well. I wouldn't go further away than that, personally.

User avatar
roguey
Posts: 291
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:45 am

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby roguey » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:23 am

snowpeach06 wrote:
texlawtex wrote:
nick637 wrote:Are law students securing leases for apartments yet?


Good question. I visited a while back, and have been checking out the scene on google maps (which has a 3-d function now btw). Anyone have any suggestions, advice, info?

I'm strongly considering the Triangle, even though it is more expensive, because it's only a 3 blocks away, and has free parking. Hessler is a good street, if you can find availability. Then Little Italy and Coventry are cheaper, but further away (still walk-able though, depending). Unless you plan on driving every day, those are the only places I suggest.

If you do plan on driving, there are a bunch of houses in University Heights and Cleveland Heights and Shaker Heights (we have a theme) for rent. So if you get enough roomies, that could be affordable as well. I wouldn't go further away than that, personally.

My fiance and I are looking at Cleveland Heights, Little Italy, and Larchmere first. Shaker Heights and Coventry are next on the list. With housing prices as low as they are in Cleveland, we are discussing signing a 3-6 month lease somewhere while he finds a job and we find a house that we like. For example:
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhom ... 1111161220
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhom ... 1115104991
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhom ... 1115460126
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhom ... 1116612288
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhom ... 1111010326

I'm not sure how housing prices were in Cleveland prior to the housing crash, but finding a remodeled house under 70k in an area like Cleveland Heights is something I never thought possible. It reminds me a lot of midtown Memphis (which is similarly situated, in a high crime city, and full of renovated homes) where smaller houses cost about 100k to 200k. Maybe a native Clevelander can give me a better idea of the wisdom in buying or renting in Cleveland. I'm not expecting to stay after graduation, but it is always a possibility. If we move, I figure we will rent out the house to grad students.

User avatar
nick637
Posts: 246
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby nick637 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:23 am

FWIW, my bro went to UG at John Carroll and said to find an apartment EAST of Case (Cleveland Heights, Shaker Heights, University Heights) and to stay away from Cleveland, Euclid and anything west of the school.

I have been looking at Craigslist for apartments but am stuck because no landlord will secure a lease this far in advance. Is this a problem that many of you are facing? Should I just wait until a month or two before Im ready to move to Cleveland?

User avatar
roguey
Posts: 291
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:45 am

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby roguey » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:30 am

nick637 wrote:FWIW, my bro went to UG at John Carroll and said to find an apartment EAST of Case (Cleveland Heights, Shaker Heights, University Heights) and to stay away from Cleveland, Euclid and anything west of the school.

I have been looking at Craigslist for apartments but am stuck because no landlord will secure a lease this far in advance. Is this a problem that many of you are facing? Should I just wait until a month or two before Im ready to move to Cleveland?

Monday I was told that we will be receiving information about a housing fair the school will host in June. I can't remember the dates, but there will be a lot of landlords there. There are a TON of apartments around campus, and I think landlords get scared in May when 1/4 of the students move out and there's no one to rent to until August. I've seen a few places say "first month free with 13 month lease" and when I called they said that was a special for anyone who moved in before the end of July, lol. No one seems to rent between May and July, so landlords seem to be frantic to get someone in during those months. Once June & July roll around, I think they will be a little easier to deal with... I hope.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”