Case Western 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Scheveningen

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby Scheveningen » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:55 am

84Sunbird2000 wrote:Case's top 5 cities of practice are (according to NALP): 1. Cleveland 2. DC 3. NY 4. CHI 5. LA.

Does anyone have a link? I couldn't find this information on the NALP website.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:00 pm

roguey wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:
84Sunbird2000 wrote:
Nat1018 wrote:

Thanks for all your info!! Really helpful, I'm not sure if I want to stay in OH anymore. I'm leaning towards not staying which is why I want the most "portable" degree between OSU and Case. I'm leaning towards OSU because I'm a little sick of livng in Cleveland.

If you want the most portable degree, though, then it has to be Case. I've been saying this over and over in different posts and "choose your lawl skool" threads, but Case places more than half outside the state in down years, and more than half outside the MidWest in up years. They have (easily) the biggest geographical reach of any school in their ranking range. OSU is better for Ohio, but Case has a far wider alumni network and geographical reach. Case's top 5 cities of practice are (according to NALP): 1. Cleveland 2. DC 3. NY 4. CHI 5. LA. That mnay seem normal because they are all (excepting Cleveland) the largest legal markets, but it is actually quite uncommon for a non T30 school to do so well at escaping its region.

These stats are exactly what is starting to steer me towards case. I think I have the best shot at reaching NY or DC from Case vs. the other schools I'm considering. Not gonna lie, I was very surprised that Case reached so far outside Ohio, because at first I was afraid I'd be stuck in Cleveland for the rest of my life.

I really believe that Case is helped by the name recognition it has due to being a first tier undergraduate institution and rating very highly in the medical education arena. This might sound dumb, but I'm hoping that The Deep End is a hit. The main character is a graduate of Case Law. Sadly enough, I have a feeling that could help reputation scores. your attempt at humor is the most laughable thing about your post; sadly, it is not that laughable.

The case grad is my favorite thing about that show. She used to be in Veronica Mars. Sadly, I think the Deep End was actually canceled.

Also, is that last sentence some sort of signature? Cuse I totally thought it was just you being rude, but, then I realized maybe it isn't.

roguey

Postby roguey » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:04 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
roguey wrote:I really believe that Case is helped by the name recognition it has due to being a first tier undergraduate institution and rating very highly in the medical education arena. This might sound dumb, but I'm hoping that The Deep End is a hit. The main character is a graduate of Case Law. Sadly enough, I have a feeling that could help reputation scores. your attempt at humor is the most laughable thing about your post; sadly, it is not that laughable.

The case grad is my favorite thing about that show. She used to be in Veronica Mars. Sadly, I think the Deep End was actually canceled.

Also, is that last sentence some sort of signature? Cuse I totally thought it was just you being rude, but, then I realized maybe it isn't.

Um... no. I typed "lol." I have no freaking clue how that came up instead. Uh... I'm super confused now.
Last edited by roguey on Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roguey

Postby roguey » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:05 pm

roguey wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:
roguey wrote:I really believe that Case is helped by the name recognition it has due to being a first tier undergraduate institution and rating very highly in the medical education arena. This might sound dumb, but I'm hoping that The Deep End is a hit. The main character is a graduate of Case Law. Sadly enough, I have a feeling that could help reputation scores. your attempt at humor is the most laughable thing about your post; sadly, it is not that laughable.

Um... no. I typed "your attempt at humor is the most laughable thing about your post; sadly, it is not that laughable." I have no freaking clue how that came up instead. Uh... I'm super confused now.

I TRIED TO TYPE L-OH-FREAKING-L... apparently someone has set it to where that equals the rude thing :( Damnit. There goes my most common way to end posts. I guess someone thinks I'm super lame.
Last edited by roguey on Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scheveningen

Postby Scheveningen » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:06 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:Also, is that last sentence some sort of signature? Cuse I totally thought it was just you being rude, but, then I realized maybe it isn't.

Because it's April 1, certain words on T L S are showing up differently (for example, "l aw school" is showing up as "lawl skool"). In this case, I think the poster wrote "l o l."

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=112994
Last edited by Scheveningen on Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:07 pm

roguey wrote:Um... no. I typed "your attempt at humor is the most laughable thing about your post; sadly, it is not that laughable." I have no freaking clue how that came up instead. Uh... I'm super confused now.

Seriously? That's kind of a funny virus if it is true. Lemme try.

lol.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:09 pm

BTW - sorry for being kind of mean in another thread then. I forgot it was April Fools day.

Also, I sort of agree with your Deep End thing. Obviously not for people that know what they are talking about. But your average person might have more respect, thinking Case is anything like Stanford, Harvard, whatever those other schools were. I laughed so hard though when I found out, since, I mean... of all the schools, how random is Case?

roguey

Postby roguey » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:09 pm

Scheveningen wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:Also, is that last sentence some sort of signature? Cuse I totally thought it was just you being rude, but, then I realized maybe it isn't.

Because it's April 1, certain words on T L S are showing up differently (for example, "l aw school" is showing up as "lawl skool"). In this case, I think the poster wrote "l o l."

That makes a lot more sense. Every year I forget about April Fool's until someone points it out. In today's case, it was pointed out to me by my fiance when google's image read "topeka" and I couldn't figure out why. I guess today I forgot even after it was brought to my attention... ugh.

charlesjd

Postby charlesjd » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:00 pm

In today with 10K / year scholly!!!!!! wooohoooo!!!!

scionb4

Postby scionb4 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:01 pm

charlesjd wrote:In today with 10K / year scholly!!!!!! wooohoooo!!!!

Hopefully they don't email you back saying "April Fool's!"

charlesjd

Postby charlesjd » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:04 pm

scionb4 wrote:
charlesjd wrote:In today with 10K / year scholly!!!!!! wooohoooo!!!!

Hopefully they don't email you back saying "April Fool's!"

HAHAHAHAHHAHA... *re-reads email to make sure it is real.... :shock:

creamedcats

Postby creamedcats » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:27 pm

Charles, congrats.

April Fool's Thing =

Y ale = (New Haven Community College)
S tanford = (Cal State Palo Alto)
C ornell = (Princeton Law)

and so on

The NALP data is somewhat favorable towards Case in terms of geography when you compare it to other Ohio schools, even granting that more students come from out of state to begin with. Both Cinci and OSU are 70+% in state employment. It's not a big gap, though.

Graduates In:
New England: 3.3
Middle Atlantic: 11.6
East North Central: 57.4
West North Central: 1.1
South Atlantic: 15.5
East South Central: 0.55
West South Central: 1.1
Mountain: 1.7
Pacific: 6.6
Non-US: 1.1

2009 Entering Class
In-state enrollment: 71
Out-state enrollment: 139

http://www.nalplawschoolsonline.org/ndl ... quick.asp#

Knock yourself out, but I didn't learn much I didn't already know from the data, except that nobody at Case was good enough for summa cum laude last year.

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:22 pm

Adding on to the last post (and backing up what I said earlier):

NALP
Jurisdictions: (states and/or metropolitan areas)
with the highest % of graduates from the most recent graduating class
1. Cleveland, OH
2. New York, NY
3. Washington, DC
4. Chicago, IL
5. Los Angeles, CA

realworldescapee

Postby realworldescapee » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:01 pm

Last edited by realworldescapee on Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

charlesjd

Postby charlesjd » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:44 pm

creamedcats wrote:Charles, congrats.

April Fool's Thing =

Y ale = (New Haven Community College)
S tanford = (Cal State Palo Alto)
C ornell = (Princeton Law)

and so on

The NALP data is somewhat favorable towards Case in terms of geography when you compare it to other Ohio schools, even granting that more students come from out of state to begin with. Both Cinci and OSU are 70+% in state employment. It's not a big gap, though.

Graduates In:
New England: 3.3
Middle Atlantic: 11.6
East North Central: 57.4
West North Central: 1.1
South Atlantic: 15.5
East South Central: 0.55
West South Central: 1.1
Mountain: 1.7
Pacific: 6.6
Non-US: 1.1

2009 Entering Class
In-state enrollment: 71
Out-state enrollment: 139

http://www.nalplawschoolsonline.org/ndl ... quick.asp#

Knock yourself out, but I didn't learn much I didn't already know from the data, except that nobody at Case was good enough for summa cum laude last year.

Thanks for the information. I am so excited about this acceptance and scholly!

charlesjd

Postby charlesjd » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:51 pm

Anything think Case will increase its ranking???? I has been jumping around 57, 63, currently 55.

roguey

Postby roguey » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:34 am

I am currently in Cleveland. I just drove around the city and surrounding areas for about 6-7 hours. I have to say that I am very excited about (possibly) moving to Cleveland. I think the city is beautiful, and Lake Erie is really eerie at night (no pun intended). I am extremely impressed at the way many old buildings are being recycled for modern use without destroying the look of the building. We drove past a row of old office buildings, and I commented on how beautiful they looked and how sad I was that they were abandoned. After sunset we happened to drive by the same buildings, and I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw lights on inside. The interiors were pristine, but there is no way to tell from the street during the day. Another surprise was a structure I took for an abandoned building around Cleveland Heights/Little Italy. It took walking around the neighborhood and a lot of curiosity to realize that the building was not an abandoned factory, but a fully functional multi-tiered parking garage hanging off the side of a cliff that served several apartment buildings. The ingenuity, the local focus of the city, and Cleveland's standing as the 2nd best city for local and organic food have almost made my decision for me. If the law school is even half as impressive as the city, I will do everything I can to attend school here.

charlesjd

Postby charlesjd » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:25 am

roguey wrote:I am currently in Cleveland. I just drove around the city and surrounding areas for about 6-7 hours. I have to say that I am very excited about (possibly) moving to Cleveland. I think the city is beautiful, and Lake Erie is really eerie at night (no pun intended). I am extremely impressed at the way many old buildings are being recycled for modern use without destroying the look of the building. We drove past a row of old office buildings, and I commented on how beautiful they looked and how sad I was that they were abandoned. After sunset we happened to drive by the same buildings, and I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw lights on inside. The interiors were pristine, but there is no way to tell from the street during the day. Another surprise was a structure I took for an abandoned building around Cleveland Heights/Little Italy. It took walking around the neighborhood and a lot of curiosity to realize that the building was not an abandoned factory, but a fully functional multi-tiered parking garage hanging off the side of a cliff that served several apartment buildings. The ingenuity, the local focus of the city, and Cleveland's standing as the 2nd best city for local and organic food have almost made my decision for me. If the law school is even half as impressive as the city, I will do everything I can to attend school here.

Sounds awesome! I have been there a few times because I have a lot of family there, but was only downtown a few times... SO EXCITED ABOUT CAVS GAMES!!!!

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:45 pm

Case just upped my scholarship by about $4,500. Going to this caliber of school for about 30k (including living) seems somewhat hard to pass up. Unless Temple gives me money, I think my decision might be made for me.

champ33

Postby champ33 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:18 pm

snowpeach do you mind sharing what your original scholarship was? i'm also considering asking for more $$ in light of some other offers.

lawschool5523

Postby lawschool5523 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:26 pm

was on "hold", and was just sent a waitlist email

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:25 pm

champ33 wrote:snowpeach do you mind sharing what your original scholarship was? i'm also considering asking for more $$ in light of some other offers.

Originally I got 15k. Bumped up to about half tuition. Possibly even could have gotten more, but my grades are below the median.

angioletto

Postby angioletto » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:24 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
champ33 wrote:snowpeach do you mind sharing what your original scholarship was? i'm also considering asking for more $$ in light of some other offers.

Originally I got 15k. Bumped up to about half tuition. Possibly even could have gotten more, but my grades are below the median.

Congrats on your scholarship increase!

charlesjd

Postby charlesjd » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:33 pm

Anyone have pics from ASD? I am curious about the law library/ facilities/ etc.

How was the building/ area overall??

vijemi

Postby vijemi » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:31 am

can anyone clue me in as to how we can hold our scholarships? Do we just submit our seat deposit and its held for us or do we have to fill out the scholarship's form itself in addition to the seat deposit? any input is appreciated, thanks.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”