Case Western 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
scionb4

Silver

Re: Case Western 2010

Post by scionb4 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:08 pm

sapp wrote:
scionb4 wrote:I'm almost positive this is where I'm going to end up going.
Me too! It's exciting and terrifying! Now to figure out the logistics of moving there...
Aren't there very reasonable apartments really close to the school? Anybody wanna chime in on this?

angioletto

Bronze

Post by angioletto » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:31 pm

wizoz wrote:Has any1 received 2 committee review dates? My app was 1st in committee review on 3/26 and now it says 3/30.
This happened to many of us. I got my decision a week or two after the review date had updated.
scionb4 wrote:
sapp wrote:
Me too! It's exciting and terrifying! Now to figure out the logistics of moving there...
Aren't there very reasonable apartments really close to the school? Anybody wanna chime in on this?
I know there are. I think they said some within a 5 minute walk are more expensive but there are some a 10 minute walk away that are more reasonable. They said thy do a housing fair in June to help students find where they want to live. I am not familiar enough with the area or the apartments to make suggestions. In general rent in Cleveland isn't bad.

scionb4

Silver

Post by scionb4 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:34 pm

angioletto wrote:
wizoz wrote:Has any1 received 2 committee review dates? My app was 1st in committee review on 3/26 and now it says 3/30.
This happened to many of us. I got my decision a week or two after the review date had updated.
scionb4 wrote:
sapp wrote:
I know there are. I think they said some within a 5 minute walk are more expensive but there are some a 10 minute walk away that are more reasonable. They said thy do a housing fair in June to help students find where they want to live. I am not familiar enough with the area or the apartments to make suggestions. In general rent in Cleveland isn't bad.
Nice profile pic - I take it you aren't very "on-the-fence" about where you'll be next year.

wizoz

Bronze

Post by wizoz » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:37 pm

@angioletto Thnx! BTW, did this pattern also follow for rejected applicants? Does any1 know?

scionb4

Silver

Post by scionb4 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:55 pm

Any apartment/duplex/whatever names? I've been looking online and there seem to be a lot of choices, it's kind of hard to narrow down where the best options are.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

angioletto

Bronze

Post by angioletto » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:06 pm

Nice profile pic - I take it you aren't very "on-the-fence" about where you'll be next year.
Nope. I had to stay in NE Ohio so the decision was a little easier for me than for most. I am very lucky that I actually loved one of the schools here in NE Ohio, and that they accepted me!
@angioletto Thnx! BTW, did this pattern also follow for rejected applicants? Does any1 know?
I don't know. I haven't followed that closely.
Any apartment/duplex/whatever names? I've been looking online and there seem to be a lot of choices, it's kind of hard to narrow down where the best options are.
I remember she said the Triangle is too expensive. (like $1000/studio, if I remember correctly, which is insane) But when she talked about another one that is like $6-700 for a 2 bedroom, which can be shared with a roommate. I think if you go to the main Case website and go to housing they have links to the different apartment websites and from there you can sort of gather prices and such. I am not sure how helpful that would be as far as determining how close to the law building you would be or whether it is in a nice area, but it's a start. Those apartment websites always seem to include pics that make the area look beautiful no matter how crappy it is. I wonder how they do that...

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:07 pm

Ya'll will probably want to live in Little Italy or Coventry. The Triangle is closer but more expensive. The street Hessler has houses, and it is like 2 minutes away, awesome option if you can find one available. Also, my friend is getting a house to split between a bunch of people on 118th street for about $300 a month.

scionb4

Silver

Post by scionb4 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:37 am

snowpeach06 wrote:Ya'll will probably want to live in Little Italy or Coventry. The Triangle is closer but more expensive. The street Hessler has houses, and it is like 2 minutes away, awesome option if you can find one available. Also, my friend is getting a house to split between a bunch of people on 118th street for about $300 a month.
Thank you very much for your help. I've sent out a ton of emails to possible places, a couple on Hessler. Here's hoping those don't suck as it would be incredible to live right on campus.

creamedcats

Bronze

Post by creamedcats » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:46 am

Nat1018 wrote:
creamedcats wrote:
SniperBarbie wrote:In this morning as a "Noah Webster Law Scholar' - 20K/yr.
Congrats!

I've been debating between OSU and Case and I was wondering why you think Case places better outside of OH than OSU does?
Good question. I should be more specific, since in general I think OSU probably places better overall in Ohio outside Cleveland, but more Case graduates end up outside of Ohio than OSU graduates. Does it place BETTER? Not necessarily, but it definitely places MORE. Anecdotal evidence from current/former students suggests the Case name carries more weight than the ranking suggests. Of course, more OSU students come from Ohio to begin with, so it's hard to tell.

From the Case website: (http://law.case.edu/careerservices/Pros ... stics.aspx) showing that more than half end up out-of-state, but it's almost an even split. The OSU page, which is more detailed (http://moritzlaw.osu.edu/careerservices ... rospective) shows well over half staying in state and slightly higher median salary, which is not surprising given Case's higher numbers in public interest, easily the worst paying sector. OSU's overall placement rate is slightly better. It would be nice to have more detailed numbers from Case...in fact, I'll ask for them.

I also had some really detailed placement statistics (reported by the school) for Case that had slightly less than half their graduates staying in the Midwest (Ohio and some other states) and a large proportion in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic (incl. DC) states. For the life of me, I cannot find them again! :? They're somewhere on TLS, I believe...

Firm placements (overall) put OSU and Case in the same bracket, although I'll bet OSU hits more firms overall, since its specialty market is 'Ohio' rather than 'Cleveland': http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... ?f=1&t=339. Case also has a goodly number of people doing Public International Law, who will probably not go the firm/corporate route, but who will be much better off in terms of the jobs they want at Case than they would at OSU - but this is a minority.

I thought you wanted to stay in Ohio, anyway? OSU is almost certainly the more certain winner in that case, especially if it's significantly cheaper. I haven't entirely ruled out OSU, even if I'm leaning case, but keep in mind that I'm a Clevelander and I got an almost-full Case scholarship.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

scionb4

Silver

Post by scionb4 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:36 am

I thought you wanted to stay in Ohio, anyway? OSU is almost certainly the more certain winner in that case, especially if it's significantly cheaper. I haven't entirely ruled out OSU, even if I'm leaning case, but keep in mind that I'm a Clevelander and I got an almost-full Case scholarship.
Do you like Cleveland? Its gotten a bad rap in the past, so my dad raised some concerns about it. However, I hear its really turned around.

realworldescapee

New

Post by realworldescapee » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:30 am

Last edited by realworldescapee on Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

creamedcats

Bronze

Post by creamedcats » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:26 am

Re: Cleveland

I grew up there, it revived itself during the 90's into a very livable and popular city, but has gotten hammered yet again by industry/housing crisis. The demographics and population are suffering as a result. It still retains some unusually good cultural assets but also has a lot of empty space. 40 years of negative population growth (the city itself, not the metro area) has only somewhat been offset by the suburbs coming into the city to work and play.

Re: Statistics

Yeah, like I said - more people at OSU are already here to begin with. To be blunt, I don't see a whole hell of a lot of difference between Case and OSU, and if I was forced to choose on sticker price, I'd have a harder time making an argument for Case. I'm pushing it because I'm trying to make the argument to myself. Case has been a lot more direct about talking to me and proactively wooing me, but OSU has been very responsive whenever I asked them anything.

scionb4

Silver

Post by scionb4 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:34 am

creamedcats wrote:Re: Cleveland

I grew up there, it revived itself during the 90's into a very livable and popular city, but has gotten hammered yet again by industry/housing crisis. The demographics and population are suffering as a result. It still retains some unusually good cultural assets but also has a lot of empty space. 40 years of negative population growth (the city itself, not the metro area) has only somewhat been offset by the suburbs coming into the city to work and play.

Yeah, like I said - more people at OSU are already here to begin with. To be blunt, I don't see a whole hell of a lot of difference between Case and OSU, and if I was forced to choose on sticker price, I'd have a harder time making an argument for Case. I'm pushing it because I'm trying to make the argument to myself. Case has been a lot more direct about talking to me and proactively wooing me, but OSU has been very responsive whenever I asked them anything.
So, is it livable for 3 years in law school at least - specifically if you're in University Circle for most of it?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:47 am

scionb4 wrote:

So, is it livable for 3 years in law school at least - specifically if you're in University Circle for most of it?
Everything you do off campus will be in the suburbs. It's just like living anywhere else, pretty much. The City of Cleveland isn't the best place, but, Case isn't really "in it". Just be careful of the nearby ghetto.

scionb4

Silver

Post by scionb4 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:56 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
scionb4 wrote:

Everything you do off campus will be in the suburbs. It's just like living anywhere else, pretty much. The City of Cleveland isn't the best place, but, Case isn't really "in it". Just be careful of the nearby ghetto.
How nearby is it? Also, is it worse than any other ghetto near an urban law school. I've heard UHouston, Temple, SoCal are all in terrible areas. It wouldn't be like that, would it?
Last edited by scionb4 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

angioletto

Bronze

Post by angioletto » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:03 pm

I wouldn't put too much thought into the differences netween OSU/Case as far as working outside of Ohio after graduation. I agree that the stats can be misleading for the reasons mentioned here - a lot of people move away from Ohio but pursue non-legal jobs and a lot of people who go to OSU are from Ohio and plan to stay in Ohio. I think a lot of people see a low percentage of students who leave the state upon graduation and assume that means the degree won't travel well when in reality I am willing to bet that it is very rare for someone to be "forced" to stay in Ohio upon graduation.

I think people see "45% of grads work outside Ohio" and automatically think "so the other 55% were unable to get jobs outside Ohio." In reality the other 50% probably don't want to leave Ohio.

And I am not just saying this for Case or OSU. I am pretty sure it applies to many schools. A lot of schools that are viewed as "regional" simply because of their stats are probably schools that attract mostly local students who plan to stay in the area, so a low percentage of students working elsewhere is not an automatic sign of a school's JD "failing to travel."

The stats will not decide your fate. They may give a bit of a picture of the fates of other students, but you can't judge those fates as "failures" without knowing if those graduates have even intended to leave the area.

Nat1018

Bronze

Post by Nat1018 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:04 pm

scionb4 wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:
scionb4 wrote:

How nearby is it? Also, is it worse than any other ghetto near an urban law school. I've heard UHouston, Temple, SoCal are all in terrible areas. It wouldn't be like that, would it?

The ghetto is literally down the street...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Nat1018

Bronze

Post by Nat1018 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:06 pm

creamedcats wrote:
Nat1018 wrote:
creamedcats wrote:
SniperBarbie wrote:In this morning as a "Noah Webster Law Scholar' - 20K/yr.
Congrats!

I've been debating between OSU and Case and I was wondering why you think Case places better outside of OH than OSU does?
Good question. I should be more specific, since in general I think OSU probably places better overall in Ohio outside Cleveland, but more Case graduates end up outside of Ohio than OSU graduates. Does it place BETTER? Not necessarily, but it definitely places MORE. Anecdotal evidence from current/former students suggests the Case name carries more weight than the ranking suggests. Of course, more OSU students come from Ohio to begin with, so it's hard to tell.

From the Case website: (http://law.case.edu/careerservices/Pros ... stics.aspx) showing that more than half end up out-of-state, but it's almost an even split. The OSU page, which is more detailed (http://moritzlaw.osu.edu/careerservices ... rospective) shows well over half staying in state and slightly higher median salary, which is not surprising given Case's higher numbers in public interest, easily the worst paying sector. OSU's overall placement rate is slightly better. It would be nice to have more detailed numbers from Case...in fact, I'll ask for them.

I also had some really detailed placement statistics (reported by the school) for Case that had slightly less than half their graduates staying in the Midwest (Ohio and some other states) and a large proportion in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic (incl. DC) states. For the life of me, I cannot find them again! :? They're somewhere on TLS, I believe...

Firm placements (overall) put OSU and Case in the same bracket, although I'll bet OSU hits more firms overall, since its specialty market is 'Ohio' rather than 'Cleveland': http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... ?f=1&t=339. Case also has a goodly number of people doing Public International Law, who will probably not go the firm/corporate route, but who will be much better off in terms of the jobs they want at Case than they would at OSU - but this is a minority.

Thanks for all your info!! Really helpful, I'm not sure if I want to stay in OH anymore. I'm leaning towards not staying which is why I want the most "portable" degree between OSU and Case. I'm leaning towards OSU because I'm a little sick of livng in Cleveland.

scionb4

Silver

Post by scionb4 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:07 pm

How much does it affect campus life?

Nat1018

Bronze

Post by Nat1018 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:20 pm

scionb4 wrote:
It really doesn't affect campus life too much. University Circle is pretty safe in general and there's no need to venture into the ghetto. If you're a girl, just don't walk around alone at night. There's campus security that you can call and they'll escort you at night if you feel uncomfortable walking alone. But in general, it's fine.

scionb4

Silver

Post by scionb4 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:40 pm

Nat1018 wrote:
scionb4 wrote:
It really doesn't affect campus life too much. University Circle is pretty safe in general and there's no need to venture into the ghetto. If you're a girl, just don't walk around alone at night. There's campus security that you can call and they'll escort you at night if you feel uncomfortable walking alone. But in general, it's fine.
That sounds fine. I'm not a girl, but I do want to ride my bike or walk to school instead of drive. So long as its safe to do that, I'm good.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Creed Fan

New

Post by Creed Fan » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:44 pm

Case has had my application since the beginning of February and I haven't heard anything back. On the status tracker, it says my app is under review. I tried calling, but all I get is some recorded message telling me to leave my contact info if I want to receive information about the school.

Anyone have a direct number I can call?

84Sunbird2000

Silver

Post by 84Sunbird2000 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:26 am

Nat1018 wrote:

Thanks for all your info!! Really helpful, I'm not sure if I want to stay in OH anymore. I'm leaning towards not staying which is why I want the most "portable" degree between OSU and Case. I'm leaning towards OSU because I'm a little sick of livng in Cleveland.
If you want the most portable degree, though, then it has to be Case. I've been saying this over and over in different posts and "choose your law school" threads, but Case places more than half outside the state in down years, and more than half outside the MidWest in up years. They have (easily) the biggest geographical reach of any school in their ranking range. OSU is better for Ohio, but Case has a far wider alumni network and geographical reach. Case's top 5 cities of practice are (according to NALP): 1. Cleveland 2. DC 3. NY 4. CHI 5. LA. That mnay seem normal because they are all (excepting Cleveland) the largest legal markets, but it is actually quite uncommon for a non T30 school to do so well at escaping its region.

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:52 am

84Sunbird2000 wrote:
Nat1018 wrote:

If you want the most portable degree, though, then it has to be Case. I've been saying this over and over in different posts and "choose your lawl skool" threads, but Case places more than half outside the state in down years, and more than half outside the MidWest in up years. They have (easily) the biggest geographical reach of any school in their ranking range. OSU is better for Ohio, but Case has a far wider alumni network and geographical reach. Case's top 5 cities of practice are (according to NALP): 1. Cleveland 2. DC 3. NY 4. CHI 5. LA. That mnay seem normal because they are all (excepting Cleveland) the largest legal markets, but it is actually quite uncommon for a non T30 school to do so well at escaping its region.
These stats are exactly what is starting to steer me towards case. I think I have the best shot at reaching NY or DC from Case vs. the other schools I'm considering. Not gonna lie, I was very surprised that Case reached so far outside Ohio, because at first I was afraid I'd be stuck in Cleveland for the rest of my life.

roguey

Bronze

Post by roguey » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:47 am

snowpeach06 wrote:
84Sunbird2000 wrote:
Nat1018 wrote:

If you want the most portable degree, though, then it has to be Case. I've been saying this over and over in different posts and "choose your lawl skool" threads, but Case places more than half outside the state in down years, and more than half outside the MidWest in up years. They have (easily) the biggest geographical reach of any school in their ranking range. OSU is better for Ohio, but Case has a far wider alumni network and geographical reach. Case's top 5 cities of practice are (according to NALP): 1. Cleveland 2. DC 3. NY 4. CHI 5. LA. That mnay seem normal because they are all (excepting Cleveland) the largest legal markets, but it is actually quite uncommon for a non T30 school to do so well at escaping its region.
These stats are exactly what is starting to steer me towards case. I think I have the best shot at reaching NY or DC from Case vs. the other schools I'm considering. Not gonna lie, I was very surprised that Case reached so far outside Ohio, because at first I was afraid I'd be stuck in Cleveland for the rest of my life.
I really believe that Case is helped by the name recognition it has due to being a first tier undergraduate institution and rating very highly in the medical education arena. This might sound dumb, but I'm hoping that The Deep End is a hit. The main character is a graduate of Case Law. Sadly enough, I have a feeling that could help reputation scores. Lol.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”