Case Western 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
roguey

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby roguey » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:19 am

realworldescapee wrote:I think you just have to look at which school offers you the best opportunities that match your career goals. Rankings mean very little when you take into account your personal preference. If you want biglaw, you should go to the school that gives you the best opportunity to practice in biglaw (in this case the opportunities correlate with the USNWR). If you want international stuff, you should go to the program that will give you the most attention and the best connection to what you want to do. If you want to practice in Spain, then go to the school that gives you the best chance to do that. The school that gives you the best opportunity to do that may or may not correlate with the USNWR rankings.

The tricky part of course is going to a school that you would be comfortable going to if you changed your mind. This is of course why you have to look at what you want to get out of the program now and the quality of the program as a whole. The benefit of more well-regarded is that they tend (or should) to have better back-up options to your career objectives. But for anyone debating between two schools with a ranking divide and similiar scholarships, I'd say its more important to focus on what you want to get out of law school and where you want to go than to just "go to the highest ranked school because it has a lot of open doors."

This is actually my current dilemma. I know that I want to work in the broad field of "international law," but I am not sure if I wish to become an immigration attorney here in the US (in which case CWRU would be a better choice because I would be able to intern with the immigration prosecuting attorneys) or if I want to live in Spain and/or practice in the EU. I am also weighing the cost of the entire dual degree program, which would possibly be more than Case. There is also the difficulty of constantly moving myself, pets, and fiancé between the US and Spain every year. 1L would be at Stetson, 2L at Granada, 3L at Stetson, 4L at Granada, Study Period and Bar exam at Stetson, then return to Spain for their Bar exam. I am also afraid that by doing the Spain program I would possibly limit myself by not being able to take advantage of various internships and other programs (such as trial team or law review) because I would not be in one place long enough. However, having the option of moving to Spain (which I have wanted to do for a long time) would definitely be fantastic. Ugh... I hate decisions.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:22 pm

Money is turning into such a big factor in my life. So far case is the best school I've gotten into. So, I don't really have a bargaining chip except that a lower ranked public school will only cost me 10k a year vs. 25 at Case. I think I'm just going to risk ask for money. I guess the worst that can happen is they say no. I feel like the 'I went here for undergrad and I love it so much I just don't want to leave but the money' card could work. Because, like I said, Case is the highest ranked place I've gotten into, and I think the job prospects in DC are far higher from Case than UB.

creamedcats

Postby creamedcats » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:57 am

I was admitted early February with a 35k/year scholarship. No interview. 165/3.69, Non-URM, Cleveland native, some work experience. Not sure if I'm going, but I am pretty impressed at their offer.

I couldn't be there for the admitted student stuff, I work far away and doubt Case is going to want to blow the money on a plane ticket for me. I know the area pretty well and am fine with Cleveland snow and all.

sapp

Postby sapp » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:56 pm

Anyone who went to the weekend want to give an out-of-stater the rundown on the school/area/how everything was presented?

I'm about 90% sure I'll be heading to CWRU come fall and I'm going to go visit in April...but since this is such a big decision I'm interested in any details or feedback anyone wants to share. If you want to share privately you can PM me.

Thanks! :mrgreen:

SniperBarbie

Postby SniperBarbie » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:19 pm

In this morning as a "Noah Webster Law Scholar' - 20K/yr.

creamedcats

Postby creamedcats » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:53 am

SniperBarbie wrote:In this morning as a "Noah Webster Law Scholar' - 20K/yr.

Congrats!

What I've learned so far (through the site/conversations with students and profs, so buyer beware) basically confirms most of my hunches: The school places fairly well outside of Ohio, while OSU tends to place better within Ohio. The International Law program is fairly strong, particularly in terms of public international law, where many students get unique opportunities to work with war crimes tribunals/human rights justice organizations. Health Law also very strong (and the Cleveland Clinic being nearby doesn't hurt). In general, the school is respected and many consider it to be slightly underrated.

My interests: Int'l Law (Public AND Trade), Con Law, 'Cyber' Law

The IGSLP (mentioned here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=179) is a draw for me, but it's worth noting the Institute's founder, Prof. Amos Guiora, is no longer at Case - he was a visiting professor and took an offer from the University of Utah. That's a bit discouraging for me. There is also the Cox Center which has a less narrow focus and does International Law issues. Prof. Michael Scharf is the director; he has a good reputation. I like the other faculty involved. There are a lot of journal opportunities and a really strong moot court program for those so inclined.

All the fluff aside, I just want an all-around solid legal education and do not want to be in debt. I haven't seen anything to suggest I won't get that at Case. I'd say the biggest disadvantage is its regional nature and a depressed local economy, but that hopefully won't hold me back too much assuming I do fairly well there. I am a bit suspicious of the previous dean's anti-USNWR crusade and the fluctuations in ranking, but I think the law school and the university are both on pretty solid ground overall.

Given that I'll only end up paying about 15-20k for my entire legal education (assuming cost increases continue to outpace the scholarship :( ), I think it's a good deal. This is including the fact I have family in Cleveland and am personally a fan of the city. If I was not from Cleveland, I would still consider it, but might be more willing to take on debt at a place like GW.

Anyone care to talk me out of this? Case sucks, they killed my father, they robbed me blind, etc.?

angioletto

Postby angioletto » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:43 am

creamedcats wrote:

Congrats!

What I've learned so far (through the site/conversations with students and profs, so buyer beware) basically confirms most of my hunches: The school places fairly well outside of Ohio, while OSU tends to place better within Ohio. The International Law program is fairly strong, particularly in terms of public international law, where many students get unique opportunities to work with war crimes tribunals/human rights justice organizations. Health Law also very strong (and the Cleveland Clinic being nearby doesn't hurt). In general, the school is respected and many consider it to be slightly underrated.

The IGSLP (mentioned here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=179) is a draw for me, but it's worth noting the Institute's founder, Prof. Amos Guiora, is no longer at Case - he was a visiting professor and took an offer from the University of Utah. That's a bit discouraging for me. There is also the Cox Center which has a less narrow focus and does International Law issues. Prof. Michael Scharf is the director; he has a good reputation. I like the other faculty involved. There are a lot of journal opportunities and a really strong moot court program for those so inclined.

All the fluff aside, I just want an all-around solid legal education and do not want to be in debt. I haven't seen anything to suggest I won't get that at Case. I'd say the biggest disadvantage is its regional nature and a depressed local economy, but that hopefully won't hold me back too much assuming I do fairly well there. I am a bit suspicious of the previous dean's anti-USNWR crusade and the fluctuations in ranking, but I think the law school and the university are both on pretty solid ground overall.

Given that I'll only end up paying about 15-20k for my entire legal education (assuming cost increases continue to outpace the scholarship :( ), I think it's a good deal. This is including the fact I have family in Cleveland and am personally a fan of the city. If I was not from Cleveland, I would still consider it, but might be more willing to take on debt at a place like GW.

Anyone care to talk me out of this? Case sucks, they killed my father, they robbed me blind, etc.?

NM

charlesjd

Postby charlesjd » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:46 am

I've been in committee review with two updates... when the heck am i going to hear from them? I am above 75th for GPA and 1 point under median for lsat....

alannak

Postby alannak » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:00 pm

Hi.. I was at the ASW a few weeks ago, and while I generally had a great impression there's one thing that has sort of been sticking out for me in my mind-- which was the "Shades of Case" presentation. I was wondering if anyone felt the same way.

The Shades of Case was the first item on the main itinerary (apart from the optional Moot Court practice).. and it seemed to be described as merely a presentation about Case alumni. It wasn't until the presentation began that I realized it was about "diversity" at Case. I was born in Queens, raised in Brooklyn; I appreciate diversity. However, 2 things bothered me about this panel.

Firstly, the woman who was the retired magistrate commented that although Case is committed to increasing diversity, most of our class at Case will look like "us" (remarking that those of us in attendance largely appeared white). I thought it was odd for her to comment on how much each of us contributed to diversity with just a glance over. When prospective students raised their hands to ask questions, I heard several foreign accents, for example. I would say that these students would certainly contribute to "diversity," whatever diversity means in this sense. To comment that because it appeared that many of us had light skin that our class wouldn't be diverse, in my opinion was overly presumptuous.

Secondly, of the three students who were recent graduates, two had been actively involved in the Black Law Students Association, both at Case, and on the regional/national(?) level. They commented how they were able to secure paid summer employment (a coveted feat) because of their involvement in this association-- something really unrelated to Case, and not applicable to, as the former magistrate noted, most of the incoming Case students.

Overall I had a great impression of Case, and I am very torn between only Case and one other school. However, the two things I described above really stuck out for me. Are these legitimate concerns or am I merely racist?

I hope you can have an open mind when considering my comments. I have no intention of insulting or offending anyone.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:15 pm

alannak wrote:Hi.. I was at the ASW a few weeks ago, and while I generally had a great impression there's one thing that has sort of been sticking out for me in my mind-- which was the "Shades of Case" presentation. I was wondering if anyone felt the same way.

The Shades of Case was the first item on the main itinerary (apart from the optional Moot Court practice).. and it seemed to be described as merely a presentation about Case alumni. It wasn't until the presentation began that I realized it was about "diversity" at Case. I was born in Queens, raised in Brooklyn; I appreciate diversity. However, 2 things bothered me about this panel.

Firstly, the woman who was the retired magistrate commented that although Case is committed to increasing diversity, most of our class at Case will look like "us" (remarking that those of us in attendance largely appeared white). I thought it was odd for her to comment on how much each of us contributed to diversity with just a glance over. When prospective students raised their hands to ask questions, I heard several foreign accents, for example. I would say that these students would certainly contribute to "diversity," whatever diversity means in this sense. To comment that because it appeared that many of us had light skin that our class wouldn't be diverse, in my opinion was overly presumptuous.

Secondly, of the three students who were recent graduates, two had been actively involved in the Black Law Students Association, both at Case, and on the regional/national(?) level. They commented how they were able to secure paid summer employment (a coveted feat) because of their involvement in this association-- something really unrelated to Case, and not applicable to, as the former magistrate noted, most of the incoming Case students.

Overall I had a great impression of Case, and I am very torn between only Case and one other school. However, the two things I described above really stuck out for me. Are these legitimate concerns or am I merely racist?

I hope you can have an open mind when considering my comments. I have no intention of insulting or offending anyone.

Every law school has to be committed to diversity. It's the law. Case, just like any other school lets in slightly less qualified URMs (I feel horrible saying it, but, its true). However, Case I've noticed is diverse in different ways. We really have very few black and Hispanic students. We do however have tons of foreign students, which, if you ask me, does more to teach about different things than simply a different race. For instance, one of my roomates is from Singapore. Sure, they speak English, but their way of life is different, and its been really enlightening living with her. I wasn't there for that comment, and it does seem a tad racist, but I've never encountered any racism here whatsoever.

scionb4

Postby scionb4 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:59 pm

JUST GOT ACCEPTED!!!!!!! No mention of scholarship, does that mean they won't be offering me one?

nick637

Postby nick637 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:00 pm

scionb4 wrote:JUST GOT ACCEPTED!!!!!!! No mention of scholarship, does that mean they won't be offering me one?

Congrats! my scholly email came about 45 mins after my acceptance email. Good luck

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:56 pm

Just awkwardly asked Case for more money. Cross your fingers for me.

nick637

Postby nick637 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:58 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:Just awkwardly asked Case for more money. Cross your fingers for me.

let us know how it goes. I have similar numbers. did you receive the 15k/year scholly?

RSN_M3

Postby RSN_M3 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:08 pm

Accepted via e-mail after hold. I received a hold a few months back , Case stating they were interested and that if I wanted to be on the hold list, I should fill out the form by March 1. I forgot to fill the form out and thought I was out for good. A few weeks ago received an e-mail asking me to merely reply if I was still interested. It totally blindsided me since I missed the March 1 hold deadline. I just replied to the e-mail with something to the effect of "I am still interested and hope to hear from the school in the near future." Great school and great admissions committee for giving me a second chance so to speak.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:10 pm

nick637 wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:Just awkwardly asked Case for more money. Cross your fingers for me.

let us know how it goes. I have similar numbers. did you receive the 15k/year scholly?

Yeah. Its a lot, but, not quite enough to put Case in the lead. I'd still be paying like 35-40k a year with living. Plus, who knows if I lose it or not?

nick637

Postby nick637 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:11 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
nick637 wrote:

Yeah. Its a lot, but, not quite enough to put Case in the lead. I'd still be paying like 35-40k a year with living. Plus, who knows if I lose it or not?

yep same here. it would be the most expensive school of my choices

scionb4

Postby scionb4 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:17 pm

nick637 wrote:
scionb4 wrote:JUST GOT ACCEPTED!!!!!!! No mention of scholarship, does that mean they won't be offering me one?

Congrats! my scholly email came about 45 mins after my acceptance email. Good luck

Me too!!!!!!!! They just gave me $10,000 per year!!!!!!!! I'm sorry for seeming like I'm bragging, I'm just really happy about it :D

nick637

Postby nick637 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:19 pm

scionb4 wrote:
nick637 wrote:

Me too!!!!!!!! They just gave me $10,000 per year!!!!!!!! I'm sorry for seeming like I'm bragging, I'm just really happy about it :D

Congrats! i just wish it was 40k+ to attend

scionb4

Postby scionb4 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:23 pm

nick637 wrote:
scionb4 wrote:
nick637 wrote:

Congrats! i just wish it was 40k+ to attend

If you don't mind me asking, what was your scholarship?

nick637

Postby nick637 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:24 pm

no problem 15k/year contingent on 3.15

Nat1018

Postby Nat1018 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:26 pm

creamedcats wrote:

Congrats!

I've been debating between OSU and Case and I was wondering why you think Case places better outside of OH than OSU does?

wizoz

Postby wizoz » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:10 pm

Has any1 received 2 committee review dates? My app was 1st in committee review on 3/26 and now it says 3/30.

scionb4

Postby scionb4 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:40 pm

I'm almost positive this is where I'm going to end up going.

sapp

Postby sapp » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:00 pm

scionb4 wrote:I'm almost positive this is where I'm going to end up going.

Me too! It's exciting and terrifying! Now to figure out the logistics of moving there...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”