Case Western 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
snowpeach06
Posts: 2426
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:32 am

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby snowpeach06 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:04 pm

84Sunbird2000 wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:
84Sunbird2000 wrote:OKay, so where is Coventry and where in Coventry. I'm at a hotel in Independence (10 miles from Case, at least), and I only have google maps and Mapquest to go on. Driving is no problem.

So, if you know how to get to case - if you are on Euclid, make a right onto Mayfield road. Then drive up through Little Italy. You will reach a traffic light at the top of the hill. It's sort of a right-straight thing. Drive through one traffic light and at the second is Coventry. At the traffic light on that road is a parking garage. Bring coins!


So, it's Panini's 1825 Coventry Road, Cleveland Heights?


I don't know the address, but that sounds about right.

User avatar
sarlis
Posts: 692
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:30 pm

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby sarlis » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:04 pm

84Sunbird2000 wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:
84Sunbird2000 wrote:OKay, so where is Coventry and where in Coventry. I'm at a hotel in Independence (10 miles from Case, at least), and I only have google maps and Mapquest to go on. Driving is no problem.

So, if you know how to get to case - if you are on Euclid, make a right onto Mayfield road. Then drive up through Little Italy. You will reach a traffic light at the top of the hill. It's sort of a right-straight thing. Drive through one traffic light and at the second is Coventry. At the traffic light on that road is a parking garage. Bring coins!


So, it's Panini's 1825 Coventry Road, Cleveland Heights?


yeah i think that is the address. there is only one paninis in coventry

User avatar
84Sunbird2000
Posts: 756
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:39 pm

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:05 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:P.S - I have no idea who to look for at Coventry.


I'm quite tall, have long hair, wearing a blue sweater and jeans. I could wear my Case nametag if that'd help :D.

User avatar
snowpeach06
Posts: 2426
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:32 am

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby snowpeach06 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:08 pm

84Sunbird2000 wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:P.S - I have no idea who to look for at Coventry.


I'm quite tall, have long hair, wearing a blue sweater and jeans. I could wear my Case nametag if that'd help :D.

We should all meet outside at a certain time. Uhm, I think I'll be wearing like a striped skirt and black shirt. But, if I change, I suppose I'm fairly tall, I have fairly pale skin and really dark hair, and my name is Jenna.

User avatar
sarlis
Posts: 692
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:30 pm

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby sarlis » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:09 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:P.S - I have no idea who to look for at Coventry.


haha there are a couple of guys there. one is named andy, and another is named buddy, I think that is his name. there are a few others there as well, I think

User avatar
sarlis
Posts: 692
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:30 pm

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby sarlis » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:09 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
84Sunbird2000 wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:P.S - I have no idea who to look for at Coventry.


I'm quite tall, have long hair, wearing a blue sweater and jeans. I could wear my Case nametag if that'd help :D.

We should all meet outside at a certain time. Uhm, I think I'll be wearing like a striped skirt and black shirt. But, if I change, I suppose I'm fairly tall, I have fairly pale skin and really dark hair, and my name is Jenna.


are you the one from sandusky?

angioletto
Posts: 285
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby angioletto » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:09 pm

I hope you all have fun. I am jealous. I am back home and it would make me more than an hour to drive back up there. I am actually headed to bed now. Lame. I know. But I am tired and I my kids will have me up bright and early tomorrow.

User avatar
snowpeach06
Posts: 2426
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:32 am

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby snowpeach06 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:11 pm

sarlis wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:
84Sunbird2000 wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:P.S - I have no idea who to look for at Coventry.


I'm quite tall, have long hair, wearing a blue sweater and jeans. I could wear my Case nametag if that'd help :D.

We should all meet outside at a certain time. Uhm, I think I'll be wearing like a striped skirt and black shirt. But, if I change, I suppose I'm fairly tall, I have fairly pale skin and really dark hair, and my name is Jenna.


are you the one from sandusky?

No. I actually grew up in NY. I'm the Case Undergrad. So if you met me, you probably would heave heard me saying something about Case and/or Cleveland.

User avatar
84Sunbird2000
Posts: 756
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:39 pm

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:12 pm

I;ll probably redact this later, but my name is Kevin.

User avatar
snowpeach06
Posts: 2426
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:32 am

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby snowpeach06 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:13 pm

angioletto wrote:I hope you all have fun. I am jealous. I am back home and it would make me more than an hour to drive back up there. I am actually headed to bed now. Lame. I know. But I am tired and I my kids will have me up bright and early tomorrow.

Ohh, wow. Kids. I always forget the wide variety of people who go to law school. Your kids must be super proud of you :)

Also, your leaving me the only girl here, I think.

User avatar
84Sunbird2000
Posts: 756
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:39 pm

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:14 pm

So, going now? Or what time should I be there?

User avatar
snowpeach06
Posts: 2426
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:32 am

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby snowpeach06 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:16 pm

84Sunbird2000 wrote:So, going now? Or what time should I be there?

Yeah, I mean, I can be there in like 15 minutes, so I'll just plan around when you guys can get there. If you want I can pm you my number, and you can let me know when you get there so we can all go in?

angioletto
Posts: 285
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby angioletto » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:26 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
angioletto wrote:I hope you all have fun. I am jealous. I am back home and it would make me more than an hour to drive back up there. I am actually headed to bed now. Lame. I know. But I am tired and I my kids will have me up bright and early tomorrow.

Ohh, wow. Kids. I always forget the wide variety of people who go to law school. Your kids must be super proud of you :)

Also, your leaving me the only girl here, I think.


Thanks. I am sure they will be proud when they are older. My son thinks that when I say I am going to "law school" that I am saying "lost school" so he is convinced that when I go I will get lost and not come home. My daughter is just a baby. Hoping that they will be proud of me someday is a huge motivation for me.

User avatar
snowpeach06
Posts: 2426
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:32 am

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby snowpeach06 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:47 pm

angioletto wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:
angioletto wrote:I hope you all have fun. I am jealous. I am back home and it would make me more than an hour to drive back up there. I am actually headed to bed now. Lame. I know. But I am tired and I my kids will have me up bright and early tomorrow.

Ohh, wow. Kids. I always forget the wide variety of people who go to law school. Your kids must be super proud of you :)

Also, your leaving me the only girl here, I think.


Thanks. I am sure they will be proud when they are older. My son thinks that when I say I am going to "law school" that I am saying "lost school" so he is convinced that when I go I will get lost and not come home. My daughter is just a baby. Hoping that they will be proud of me someday is a huge motivation for me.

haha. That is too cute!

Whitters
Posts: 125
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:02 pm

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby Whitters » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:03 pm

Awe, guys! I'm sad I went home (1.5 hrs away), I would love to chill out tonight. I think I met most of you! I just read through all the recent Case chatter.

I attended the Friday events, and the alumni panel was alright, but there was no student panel/event. There was supposed to be some type of break out session with student organizations, but it was vaguely announced that some groups won an award and were unavailable? So they had LARGE (at least 25 people per) tours of the school, which is not ideal. All of the faculty members I talked to (again, not enough) were really engaging and friendly. I went to the Friday AM moot court, which was my only observation of students, but it was phenomenal. They are regional champions after all, but I was extremely impressed with the quality of argument, composure and intelligence of the students. That doesn't speak to the entire student body though. I was also really excited about the international law program and the opportunities for Case students in that field, but a large portion of the class is interested in international law, so that makes the limited positions on those journals, moot courts, and internships/externships highly competitive. If anyone didn’t have a chance to attend Friday, I’d be happy to answer questions about the programming.

I agree that it was odd there wasn't a student panel, and I only found one 2L during the cocktail hour to talk to, and I think I really irritated the people around me because I attacked him with at least 10 questions about student life because it was my only opportunity. I wonder if it was Spring Break or something on Saturday and that is why the students weren't around? It was a bit unsettling and that is my main complaint as well.

Overall, I loved the area; I didn't realize how close the botanical gardens/museums were to campus. I was happy to hear most students live close to the law school and somewhat close together because I was worried about the sense of community at the school. I really liked everyone I met (kudos, hehe!) and liked the feel of the school. As of right now Case is still one of my top options.

angioletto
Posts: 285
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby angioletto » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:17 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
angioletto wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:
angioletto wrote:I hope you all have fun. I am jealous. I am back home and it would make me more than an hour to drive back up there. I am actually headed to bed now. Lame. I know. But I am tired and I my kids will have me up bright and early tomorrow.

Ohh, wow. Kids. I always forget the wide variety of people who go to law school. Your kids must be super proud of you :)

Also, your leaving me the only girl here, I think.


Thanks. I am sure they will be proud when they are older. My son thinks that when I say I am going to "law school" that I am saying "lost school" so he is convinced that when I go I will get lost and not come home. My daughter is just a baby. Hoping that they will be proud of me someday is a huge motivation for me.

haha. That is too cute!


Cute until you see him actually crying because he thinks mommy will never come home. I am pretty sure I will live with that guilt every single day of law school. Yeah. I'll be that girl in the corner on the first day of class on her cell phone consoling her 3 year old and reassuring him that I will come home. And on the second day of classes, and the third.....

OK, I am going to bed for real now.

realworldescapee
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:09 am

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby realworldescapee » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:31 pm

.
Last edited by realworldescapee on Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
84Sunbird2000
Posts: 756
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:39 pm

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:43 am

realworldescapee wrote:I asked the academic dean directly about the gpa req and class rank for scholaships. He said that a 3.15 is aimed to be around top 45% so a little over 90 people will keep their scholarship. Though I'd like a good standing req., top 45 is not that bad.


It's not "THAT" bad, but it's worrisome. I don't want to have a mediocre semester Spring 2011 and then end up staring down 80k in unexpected, additional debt. I'm definitely going to be bold and appeal for a scholarship like IUB offered me (i.e. full and no gpa restrictions), but I did really love the area (which I completely did not expect).

angioletto
Posts: 285
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby angioletto » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:05 pm

realworldescapee wrote:I asked the academic dean directly about the gpa req and class rank for scholaships. He said that a 3.15 is aimed to be around top 45% so a little over 90 people will keep their scholarship. Though I'd like a good standing req., top 45 is not that bad.


Unfortunately that contradicts the other info we have been given. They said that the curve has about 25% As, 50% Bs and 25% lower. So if 25% get A's how can 45% be above a 3.15? I am not questioning you directly so much as making note of the conflicting info. Or maybe he meant that 45% includes those between 2.8 and 3.15 who are keeping part of their scholarship but not all of it?

Confusing info, and honestly, knowing the exact data isn't going to change my GPA when it comes down to it so it's probably not worth stressing over. Still, I agree that it is unsettling to know that slipping up that first year could be so costly.

texlawtex
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:11 pm

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby texlawtex » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:08 pm

Interesting, I was wondering how difficult/how many people kept up a 3.15.

realworldescapee
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:09 am

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby realworldescapee » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:18 pm

.
Last edited by realworldescapee on Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

angioletto
Posts: 285
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby angioletto » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:53 pm

realworldescapee wrote:Info is not conflicting. You are just assuming that everyone gets an A will do so each class. Chances are that you will get a mix of As.and Bs while a select few will get straight As. The various mixing and matching from different students create the upper part of the curve. Plus a b+ is a 3.33333 which still puts you in the protected threshhold.


I see what you are saying. I assumed that when he said 25% get As he meant 25% have GPAs in the "A" range but he was referring to grades for individual classes. So you are right - thanks for clarifying!

And what? a B+ is a 3.33333? I have never seen such a grading scale. Do you have more info on this?

realworldescapee
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:09 am

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby realworldescapee » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:02 pm

.
Last edited by realworldescapee on Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

angioletto
Posts: 285
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby angioletto » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:11 pm

realworldescapee wrote:
angioletto wrote:
realworldescapee wrote:Info is not conflicting. You are just assuming that everyone gets an A will do so each class. Chances are that you will get a mix of As.and Bs while a select few will get straight As. The various mixing and matching from different students create the upper part of the curve. Plus a b+ is a 3.33333 which still puts you in the protected threshhold.


I see what you are saying. I assumed that when he said 25% get As he meant 25% have GPAs in the "A" range but he was referring to grades for individual classes. So you are right - thanks for clarifying!

And what? a B+ is a 3.33333? I have never seen such a grading scale. Do you have more info on this?


No problem with the clarification. Sorry if the the tone off as harsh but I am on my iPhone so I try and be efficient as possible when writing. The grade scale for gpas is

A = 4
A- = 3.67
B+ = 3.33
B = 3
B- = 2.67

and so on


Is this info from Case or is this the grading scale for all law schools? Sorry if this is a dumb question. The grading scale I have always seen (from HS and UG) used 3.0-4.0 for A-s, As and A+s.

realworldescapee
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:09 am

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby realworldescapee » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:26 pm

.
Last edited by realworldescapee on Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: amberb94, cyclawps, Google Adsense [Bot], liuwenyu, malysh, sre08 and 16 guests