Case Western 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
07ggfa5
Posts: 97
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:19 am

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby 07ggfa5 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:45 pm

angioletto wrote:I'm in! I'm in!!!!


Congrats!!! Glad they finally came through for you. Hopefully, I'm next... :)

User avatar
Panther7
Posts: 455
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:34 pm

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby Panther7 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:16 pm

Kat.Ander wrote:Part of the scholarship award terms:

8. Your continued eligibility for this award is also contingent upon your participation in scholarship-related activities, i.e. receptions, phone-a-thons, writing letters to donors, prelaw advisors and prospective students, etc.

What does that mean???


It means they want you to help them when it comes to recruiting events, or you could lose your scholarship. Like, if they ask you to write to a prospective student to have a conversation about your time at case, they expect you to do so with a positive light on the school. That's kinda what I grab out of that bit.

User avatar
alannak
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:54 pm

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby alannak » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:37 pm

Panther7 wrote:
Kat.Ander wrote:Part of the scholarship award terms:

8. Your continued eligibility for this award is also contingent upon your participation in scholarship-related activities, i.e. receptions, phone-a-thons, writing letters to donors, prelaw advisors and prospective students, etc.

What does that mean???


It means they want you to help them when it comes to recruiting events, or you could lose your scholarship. Like, if they ask you to write to a prospective student to have a conversation about your time at case, they expect you to do so with a positive light on the school. That's kinda what I grab out of that bit.


I sort of think that sounds fun. =\

angioletto
Posts: 285
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby angioletto » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:46 pm

alannak wrote:
Panther7 wrote:
Kat.Ander wrote:Part of the scholarship award terms:

8. Your continued eligibility for this award is also contingent upon your participation in scholarship-related activities, i.e. receptions, phone-a-thons, writing letters to donors, prelaw advisors and prospective students, etc.

What does that mean???


It means they want you to help them when it comes to recruiting events, or you could lose your scholarship. Like, if they ask you to write to a prospective student to have a conversation about your time at case, they expect you to do so with a positive light on the school. That's kinda what I grab out of that bit.


I sort of think that sounds fun. =\


I agree. I like the idea of going to a school that I like so much that I want to spread the word, ya know? Which may be kinda dorky.....

...and may not matter to me since it has been several hours and no scholarship offer yet. :( Don't most people hear about scholarships within an hour or so?

kk88
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:47 pm

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby kk88 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:57 pm

First- congrats on your admission!

Second- I didn't hear for probably five or six hours after. Admitted early in the morning, scholarship details between 3pm and 4pm.

Good luck!

realworldescapee
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:09 am

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby realworldescapee » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:58 pm

.
Last edited by realworldescapee on Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

angioletto
Posts: 285
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby angioletto » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:02 pm

Thanks. You guys put my mind at ease a bit. Now that I am not streesing over whether I got in I guess i just need something else to stress about!

I can't get into the admitted students website though. The e-mail said it could take 3-5 business days.

angioletto
Posts: 285
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby angioletto » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:19 pm

Got my scholarship offer. More than I expected!
Last edited by angioletto on Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

angioletto
Posts: 285
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby angioletto » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:01 pm

I am a little surprised by the strict GPA requirements for scholarship renewals.

realworldescapee
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:09 am

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby realworldescapee » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:58 pm

.
Last edited by realworldescapee on Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

angioletto
Posts: 285
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby angioletto » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:32 am

realworldescapee wrote:
angioletto wrote:I am a little surprised by the strict GPA requirements for scholarship renewals.


What did your scholly come with for reqs?


3.15 GPA tp keep all of it, 2.8 to keep half of it.

User avatar
alannak
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:54 pm

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby alannak » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:08 pm

I know it's a month away, but is anyone going to the ASD? Does anyone have a good recommendation for a hotel?

realworldescapee
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:09 am

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby realworldescapee » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:42 pm

.
Last edited by realworldescapee on Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

angioletto
Posts: 285
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby angioletto » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:49 pm

realworldescapee wrote:
angioletto wrote:
realworldescapee wrote:
angioletto wrote:I am a little surprised by the strict GPA requirements for scholarship renewals.


What did your scholly come with for reqs?


3.15 GPA tp keep all of it, 2.8 to keep half of it.


Ah it's the same as mine then. I didn't think the GPA reqs were that strict. I've asked someone I know there and they say that's around top half which for the type of money they are giving out seem reasonable.

As for a hotel, I'm going to try and stay at the Glidden House which is literally right by the law school. I'd rather not have to deal with transportation as I'm very directionally challenged.


Does anyone know anything about the grading curve at Case or what their median GPA is at the end of 1L? I got some info from another school re: their grading curve and a 3.2 was top 10% of the class. My mistake for confusing another school's grading curve with Case.....

realworldescapee
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:09 am

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby realworldescapee » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:00 pm

.
Last edited by realworldescapee on Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

angioletto
Posts: 285
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby angioletto » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:14 pm

realworldescapee wrote:
angioletto wrote:
Does anyone know anything about the grading curve at Case or what their median GPA is at the end of 1L? I got some info from another school re: their grading curve and a 3.2 was top 10% of the class. My mistake for confusing another school's grading curve with Case.....


I PM'd tarheels19 about this awhile back and this was his reply (I haven'ted him if I could post, but I doubt he'd care as it contains no personal information in it):

the first year curve is a 3.2 for core 1L classes (contracts/torts/crim/etc), then i believe goes down to a 3.0 for elective courses... median for 1L's usually hovers around a 3.15-3.2

not sure on the retainment, i don't think the FA office is out to get students.

I've talked to a couple other people who have confirmed this. But your 3.2 top 10% seems way out of line.


Thanks for the info. That makes so much more sense.

texlawtex
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:11 pm

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby texlawtex » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:20 pm

Im visiting soon. Anyone live there/has visited any good shows bars restaurants that you suggest?

User avatar
sarlis
Posts: 692
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:30 pm

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby sarlis » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:43 am

texlawtex wrote:Im visiting soon. Anyone live there/has visited any good shows bars restaurants that you suggest?


Did you schedule an individual visit? I need to do that soon

texlawtex
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:11 pm

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby texlawtex » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:05 am

sarlis wrote:
texlawtex wrote:Im visiting soon. Anyone live there/has visited any good shows bars restaurants that you suggest?


Did you schedule an individual visit? I need to do that soon



I was going to do that tomorrow. Someone posted something a few days back about not getting the stipend. Was that bc they hadn't been accepted yet or what? my plane alone is 200 plus hahah but the fiance refuses to sit in a car for 20+ hours.

User avatar
MBZags
Posts: 552
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:21 pm

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby MBZags » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:18 am

Admissions said the stipend is for people above their median (didn't specify which median or either/or), and someone with an LSAT above median and GPA below median got the stipend information on their Admitted Students Page. You may want to ask them for clarification on their exact policy, though.

realworldescapee
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:09 am

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby realworldescapee » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:41 am

.
Last edited by realworldescapee on Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

spitfire935
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby spitfire935 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:16 am

texlawtex wrote:
sarlis wrote:
texlawtex wrote:Im visiting soon. Anyone live there/has visited any good shows bars restaurants that you suggest?


Did you schedule an individual visit? I need to do that soon



I was going to do that tomorrow. Someone posted something a few days back about not getting the stipend. Was that bc they hadn't been accepted yet or what? my plane alone is 200 plus hahah but the fiance refuses to sit in a car for 20+ hours.


I posted about the stipend. I called them and you have to be above their median for the stipend. Go onto the admitted students page and if you received one it will be in the top right corner (apparently).

angioletto
Posts: 285
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby angioletto » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:39 pm

My housing/commuting issue has been resolved and I will be committing to Case next week. :D

User avatar
07ggfa5
Posts: 97
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:19 am

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby 07ggfa5 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:17 pm

Just got in via e-mail. Very excited! Now waiting to see how much $$ I can get since their tuition is a little on the steep side.

User avatar
GetYaPopcornReady
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:04 am

Re: Case Western 2010

Postby GetYaPopcornReady » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:36 pm

I just got an email that confirmed my hold letter and said I should get a decision by March 5, anyone else get something similar?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”