Case Western 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
nick637

Bronze

Re: Case Western 2010

Post by nick637 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:07 pm

anyone else going to make it to cleveland for the marathon on may 16?

charlesjd

Bronze

Post by charlesjd » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:08 pm

Last edited by charlesjd on Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SniperBarbie

New

Post by SniperBarbie » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:31 pm

I'm told that transferring into the JD/MBA program is super easy, you pretty much only need to take the GMAT, and you have until your third semester to decide to do so. You'll probably complete everything in four years, but can manage in three if you do coursework over the summers. If you have a scholarship, it will cover your extra year as well (provided you maintain the required standings). When I visited, the program was really hyped up, getting involved seemed like NO BIG DEAL, and people seem to make the decision well after they start school.

charlesjd

Bronze

Post by charlesjd » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:36 pm

Last edited by charlesjd on Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sapp

Bronze

Post by sapp » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:49 pm

charlesjd wrote:Anyone doing a JD/MBA or know anything about it? I read their faqs, etc. Nothing about tuition. I know other schools will have you pay 1 year at the law school, 1 year at the business, and then the higher tuition of the two for the third/four years which is law school lol.

Just wondering what everyone thinks.

Case's business school is not the best, 75 in USNWR, and the stats are much less than what I would have assumed, but it would be nice to have both a JD and a MBA, especially since I want to go into in-house corporate counsel. I would have no problem getting in the business school either. My GPA is at their high end (90th percentile, business does 10-90th) and gmat is no problem since my practices surpass their 85th, so maybe a scholly too.

Any thoughts?
I was interested in the same thing for a lot of the same reasons. Very good question. :)

When I visited they really pushed the idea of their JD/MBA program on me as well. They talked about scholarships and cost and pretty much said which ever way it costs the less is how it will be on the books. (i.e. you get a full ride offer from the MBA program and $0 scholarship from their JD program, the business school will be your Host school and the law school will be your visiting school so the cost stays the lowest it can for you).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

creamedcats

Bronze

Post by creamedcats » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:27 pm

ace_n_the_hole wrote:
acash09 wrote:
lsathelp wrote:Does anyone have any clue as to when the next round of decisions will be sent out? At this point Im aware that the possibility of recieving an unfavorable decision are very high but I just need to know asap, this cycle has been a long and tiring process and I just want to get it over with.
Hey, on 4/1/10 I was placed on the waitlist and got an email saying:

"Our class is now full and we will not be able to extend an offer of admission to you at this time. However, the potential withdrawal of admitted candidates may open additional places therefore; we have placed you on our spring/summer wait list."

I'm sure a lot of spots have opened up since the deposit deadline though.
I went into review on 3/24 and then into second review 4/1 and was accepted on 4/9. Unless I am the exception I don't think their class was full on 4/1.
You weren't waitlisted, though. I applied in February and got accepted three weeks later. The waitlist has a different set of rules, which are, sadly, rather unforgiving. Acash, I think it's great you're prepared to wait it out, but you should be prepared to wait all summer if you're really determined. A friend of mine waited until a few weeks before class started to choose his school because of waitlists. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. Did you do a LOCI (letter of continued interest)? If not, do it. Odds are a spot or two will open, but there's never any way to predict it. You should have a backup plan. Good luck.

creamedcats

Bronze

Post by creamedcats » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:32 pm

sapp wrote:
charlesjd wrote:Anyone doing a JD/MBA or know anything about it? I read their faqs, etc. Nothing about tuition. I know other schools will have you pay 1 year at the law school, 1 year at the business, and then the higher tuition of the two for the third/four years which is law school lol.

Just wondering what everyone thinks.

Case's business school is not the best, 75 in USNWR, and the stats are much less than what I would have assumed, but it would be nice to have both a JD and a MBA, especially since I want to go into in-house corporate counsel. I would have no problem getting in the business school either. My GPA is at their high end (90th percentile, business does 10-90th) and gmat is no problem since my practices surpass their 85th, so maybe a scholly too.

Any thoughts?
I was interested in the same thing for a lot of the same reasons. Very good question. :)

When I visited they really pushed the idea of their JD/MBA program on me as well. They talked about scholarships and cost and pretty much said which ever way it costs the less is how it will be on the books. (i.e. you get a full ride offer from the MBA program and $0 scholarship from their JD program, the business school will be your Host school and the law school will be your visiting school so the cost stays the lowest it can for you).
What have you heard about the degree's usefulness outside of NEO? Preferably from someone other than Case. :) It is pretty low-ranked.

charlesjd

Bronze

Post by charlesjd » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:55 pm

Last edited by charlesjd on Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roguey

Bronze

Post by roguey » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:10 am

I'm seriously considering the Masters in Non-Profit Administration (or something like that) along with the JD. I also applied for the Social Justice full-tuition scholarship. I'm wondering if it would cover the fourth year (if I get it *crosses fingers, toes, eyes*), since the dual degree is going for the same purpose.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

acash09

New

Post by acash09 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:04 am

creamedcats wrote: You weren't waitlisted, though. I applied in February and got accepted three weeks later. The waitlist has a different set of rules, which are, sadly, rather unforgiving. Acash, I think it's great you're prepared to wait it out, but you should be prepared to wait all summer if you're really determined. A friend of mine waited until a few weeks before class started to choose his school because of waitlists. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. Did you do a LOCI (letter of continued interest)? If not, do it. Odds are a spot or two will open, but there's never any way to predict it. You should have a backup plan. Good luck.
Yep, I wrote a LOCI, included an updated resume (shortly after applying, I took on a full time paralegal position), and am in the process of getting an additional LOR from an attorney here in the office. I understand my chances are slim and that I'll have to wait a while before I hear anything. I have a deposit down elsewhere, however.

creamedcats

Bronze

Post by creamedcats » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:26 am

acash09 wrote:
creamedcats wrote: You weren't waitlisted, though. I applied in February and got accepted three weeks later. The waitlist has a different set of rules, which are, sadly, rather unforgiving. Acash, I think it's great you're prepared to wait it out, but you should be prepared to wait all summer if you're really determined. A friend of mine waited until a few weeks before class started to choose his school because of waitlists. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. Did you do a LOCI (letter of continued interest)? If not, do it. Odds are a spot or two will open, but there's never any way to predict it. You should have a backup plan. Good luck.
Yep, I wrote a LOCI, included an updated resume (shortly after applying, I took on a full time paralegal position), and am in the process of getting an additional LOR from an attorney here in the office. I understand my chances are slim and that I'll have to wait a while before I hear anything. I have a deposit down elsewhere, however.
Good stuff. Good luck!

krzyreeesh

New

Post by krzyreeesh » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:52 am

Just thought I'd give a heads up to everyone who's looking for information on decisions.

I received my decision yesterday. I'm a splitter who applied very late and interviewed via phone at Case's request. I was offered a spot on the priority waitlist. Not really sure what that means as far as my chances but I am pretty disappointed because Case was one of my top choices and I fell in love with their International Law Center.

Looks like I'll be riding out the waitlist. Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear.

lsathelp

Bronze

Post by lsathelp » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:11 am

krzyreeesh wrote:Just thought I'd give a heads up to everyone who's looking for information on decisions.

I received my decision yesterday. I'm a splitter who applied very late and interviewed via phone at Case's request. I was offered a spot on the priority waitlist. Not really sure what that means as far as my chances but I am pretty disappointed because Case was one of my top choices and I fell in love with their International Law Center.

Looks like I'll be riding out the waitlist. Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear.
Thanks alot for the heads up! Did you recieve it via email? And when did you go for committee review?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

krzyreeesh

New

Post by krzyreeesh » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:35 am

lsathelp wrote:
krzyreeesh wrote:Just thought I'd give a heads up to everyone who's looking for information on decisions.

Thanks alot for the heads up! Did you recieve it via email? And when did you go for committee review?
No problem. Yeah, I received the e-mail yesterday at 5:00PM exactly. The e-mail said that there were an 'overwhelming number' of people who had already accepted their offers of admission and who had already submitted their first seat deposit so they were unable to offer me a seat at this time. The text of the letter implied that I was qualified enough and they wanted to admit me, but they just didn't have the space.

I knew I ran that risk when I applied so late (was out of my control, thought I was going to be abroad and was readying for next year's cycle when plans changed last minute) but it still stung.

I believe I went under committee review on 4/6? But I can't be entirely sure. I just had my phone interview early last week.

lsathelp

Bronze

Post by lsathelp » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:24 am

Thanks again! I guess the rest of us can expect a waitlist or a rejection. For those of you who have been accepted and have paid seat deposits but ultimately have your minds set on other schools I implore you to withdraw for the sake of us who are somewhat willing to ride out the waitlist. Remember guys no good deeds go unrewarded! :) :D

vijemi

New

Post by vijemi » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:47 pm

Anyone have a link that shows the cities most Case graduates end up working? I hear that Case is portable outside of Ohio but I'm wondering what specific cities most law students end up going to.

charlesjd

Bronze

Post by charlesjd » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:11 pm

Last edited by charlesjd on Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nick637

Bronze

Post by nick637 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:15 pm

heres where case grads end up by state
http://www.avvo.com/stats/school_detail ... -of-law-56

krzyreeesh

New

Post by krzyreeesh » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:18 pm

Is it just me or are those colors on the map way too unnecessarily similar to differentiate from one another? Why must you make me squint avvo?

Thanks for the link though :)

Aston2412

Bronze

Post by Aston2412 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:25 pm

In on priority waitlist as of yesterday. Also on GW WL and accepted to St. Johns. Still waiting on Temple.

If I don't make it into GW - Case is my top choice.

lsathelp

Bronze

Post by lsathelp » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:31 pm

Omg guys do Case send applicant this Admissions newsletter thingy? My god man it scared the shit out of me, i swear i thought it was an Acceptance email only to look further and see its not even close smh. :evil: :twisted: :roll: :(

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

vijemi

New

Post by vijemi » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:13 pm

Thanks Charles & Nick, good to see there are a decent amount in California should I want to come back after graduation.

sapp

Bronze

Post by sapp » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:36 am

vijemi wrote:Thanks Charles & Nick, good to see there are a decent amount in California should I want to come back after graduation.

*wave* to a fellow Californian who may be making the trek to the cold city of Cleveland with me.

Nat1018

Bronze

Post by Nat1018 » Sat May 01, 2010 5:44 pm

Ok....I think I've officially decided on Case. Yay!

creamedcats

Bronze

Post by creamedcats » Sun May 02, 2010 12:46 am

Nat1018 in February wrote: Don't listen to Drew Carey...Cleveland pretty much sucks and there's a blizzard-like weather conditions this weekend...yay...
Nat1018 in May wrote: Ok....I think I've officially decided on Case. Yay!
Don't do it! The nice weather this week is just teasing you! :wink:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”