Case Western 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JCougar

Gold

Re: Case Western 2010

Post by JCougar » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:13 pm

wizoz wrote:
JCougar wrote:In this morning with a $20K/year scholarship. Feels good...that's more than I expected to get.

It's the second of 13 decisions I'm going to get, but it's nice to know that no matter what happens later in this cycle, I could go somewhere for a decent price that would make me happy.
Congrats! Still waiting on WUSTL?
Yes. They're my realistic #1 choice. My reach is Cornell, but I had to apply after the deadline because of my February retake, but their admissions office seemed fine with it and said they were way behind in processing apps anyways. But then again, what admissions office wouldn't want an extra $80. Anyways, my GPA is going to kill me there. I'm worried that the late app is going to hurt me at some of those other Midwestern schools that take splitters. I applied to Case earlier in January though with my 162, so all they were waiting for was an updated score instead of the whole kitten caboodle.

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:49 am

Robinste wrote:I will be at the ASW, both days. I am a native Clevelander, so it's easy for me to get there.

Some posts ago, someone posted that there wasn't even a tour....there are tours on Saturday, both of the law school and the area. It said so on the website, and the snail mail invite that was sent out. Just sayin'....
"Tours leave from East Boulevard Entrance of law school
Those not wanting to take a trolley tour of the area can have a tour of the law school building."

Just sayin'.

Anyway, you guys are coming on a GORGEOUS weekend. 65 and sunny. However, a warning. Case will seem magical. People will be outside doing homework, playing Frisbee, wearing shorts. In reality, most of these people stay inside all the time because it's too cold and too gross to go outside, and this is one of maybe 3 days a year when we see the sun. It makes us all really happy.

macaulian

New

Post by macaulian » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:39 pm

In with full tuition scholarship. Is admitted student weekend tommorow?

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:43 pm

macaulian wrote:In with full tuition scholarship. Is admitted student weekend tommorow?
Technically it starts tonight. But yes.

angioletto

Bronze

Post by angioletto » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:01 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
Robinste wrote:I will be at the ASW, both days. I am a native Clevelander, so it's easy for me to get there.

Some posts ago, someone posted that there wasn't even a tour....there are tours on Saturday, both of the law school and the area. It said so on the website, and the snail mail invite that was sent out. Just sayin'....
"Tours leave from East Boulevard Entrance of law school
Those not wanting to take a trolley tour of the area can have a tour of the law school building."

Just sayin'.

Anyway, you guys are coming on a GORGEOUS weekend. 65 and sunny. However, a warning. Case will seem magical. People will be outside doing homework, playing Frisbee, wearing shorts. In reality, most of these people stay inside all the time because it's too cold and too gross to go outside, and this is one of maybe 3 days a year when we see the sun. It makes us all really happy.
Very valid point. As a native Ohioan even I am sometimes drawn to the pictures of students sitting on a green, sunny campus studying. It makes me think "oh, how nice." And then I remember the green and sunshine generally disappear a couple weeks into class and don't return until the week of finals. Except for the occasional lovely March, which we are experiencing now. Don't get too used to it - I think Sunday's forecast is cloudy and 44. :(

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:08 pm

For anyone going to the cocktail hour thing tonight. What are you wearing? I was originally doing jeans/nice shirt/heels. But then I wondered if that was too casual?

sapp

Bronze

Post by sapp » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:12 pm

angioletto wrote: I am sometimes drawn to the pictures of students sitting on a green, sunny campus studying. It makes me think "oh, how nice."
If it makes you feel any better, as someone who did their undergrad in a prepetually beautiful sunny location... all that nice warm sunshine can be a very convincing distraction from studying. So it might be better not to have it all the time.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:14 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:For anyone going to the cocktail hour thing tonight. What are you wearing? I was originally doing jeans/nice shirt/heels. But then I wondered if that was too casual?
You guys are still students. I think you have the right idea w/ jeans and heels. It's cocktail hour.

Whitters

Bronze

Post by Whitters » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:59 pm

Hey all. I'm on my way to cocktail time now! I'm wearing black pants a teal blouse and o have blonde hair. Come say hi!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

84Sunbird2000

Silver

Post by 84Sunbird2000 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:47 pm

So, what did everyone else think of Case today? I have to admit that my main surprise was how nice the area around the law school is. It's an awfully nice option to be able to wander away for a study break to a top-notch Art Museum, Natural History Museum, or Botanical Garden....or maybe catch a free rehearsal of the world's top orchestra. The law library was really nice as well, though the law school building as a whole was simply adequate-to-good. The little courtyard and the view of the Gehry-designed building is also nice.

The city as a whole was much nicer than I had guessed, though the trolly was designed to show off Cleveland's good points. However, considering it was a 2-hour tour, there was a lot of coolness to show off. Plus, traffic in Cleveland seems surprisingly mild, which is a huge plus.

However, I got lost on my way back to my hotel and ended up driving past the Circle/Clinic area on E.105th....in both directions. The ghetto on both sides was astonishing. It was like the old cartoons where people go on the literal "wrong side of the tracks" and opulence turns suddenly to dilapidation.

sarlis

Silver

Post by sarlis » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:15 pm

84Sunbird2000 wrote:So, what did everyone else think of Case today? I have to admit that my main surprise was how nice the area around the law school is. It's an awfully nice option to be able to wander away for a study break to a top-notch Art Museum, Natural History Museum, or Botanical Garden....or maybe catch a free rehearsal of the world's top orchestra. The law library was really nice as well, though the law school building as a whole was simply adequate-to-good. The little courtyard and the view of the Gehry-designed building is also nice.

The city as a whole was much nicer than I had guessed, though the trolly was designed to show off Cleveland's good points. However, considering it was a 2-hour tour, there was a lot of coolness to show off. Plus, traffic in Cleveland seems surprisingly mild, which is a huge plus.

However, I got lost on my way back to my hotel and ended up driving past the Circle/Clinic area on E.105th....in both directions. The ghetto on both sides was astonishing. It was like the old cartoons where people go on the literal "wrong side of the tracks" and opulence turns suddenly to dilapidation.

i was actually not completely happy with some of the events today. There were not any 1,2, or 3 Ls to talk to, which made me think the event planners were trying to hide something... like students were not as happy as they would like to portray. There were not enough professors around to sit at all the lunch tables, so I only got to talk to 1 professor.

BUT, I was surprised by the strength of the placement out of state, as well as the career services office in general. Also, the financial aid presentation was the strongest one I have seen from any law school admittance day.

The library was great, and I liked the building. But it did make me think why there was no student panel, and why where was no faculty panel, both of which have been key at other school's ASD/W.

To sum up my analysis of case's events today, they did not help themselves in my choice, but they did not entirely hurt themselves, either.

84Sunbird2000

Silver

Post by 84Sunbird2000 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:20 pm

sarlis wrote:
84Sunbird2000 wrote:So, what did everyone else think of Case today?

i was actually not completely happy with some of the events today. There were not any 1,2, or 3 Ls to talk to, which made me think the event planners were trying to hide something... like students were not as happy as they would like to portray. There were not enough professors around to sit at all the lunch tables, so I only got to talk to 1 professor.

BUT, I was surprised by the strength of the placement out of state, as well as the career services office in general. Also, the financial aid presentation was the strongest one I have seen from any law school admittance day.

The library was great, and I liked the building. But it did make me think why there was no student panel, and why where was no faculty panel, both of which have been key at other school's ASD/W.

To sum up my analysis of case's events today, they did not help themselves in my choice, but they did not entirely hurt themselves, either.
Hmm. According to the agenda sheet I just pulled out, they had a Q and A session with Admissions and Current Students at 2:15. If you went on one of the trolleys (like I did) then I guess you missed out. They also (according to the sheet) had a current students panel and an alumni panel on Friday, but I wasn't there for that.

However, it seems like bad planning to have an either/or on such an important aspect of an ASW.

sarlis

Silver

Post by sarlis » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:24 pm

84Sunbird2000 wrote:
sarlis wrote:
84Sunbird2000 wrote:So, what did everyone else think of Case today?

Hmm. According to the agenda sheet I just pulled out, they had a Q and A session with Admissions and Current Students at 2:15. If you went on one of the trolleys (like I did) then I guess you missed out. They also (according to the sheet) had a current students panel and an alumni panel on Friday, but I wasn't there for that.
I took the tour of the law school at 215, and they never had the panel during or after that; everyone there either did the trolley thing or went on the tour of the law school (which was absolutely great, btw)

Also, a lot of students didn't go on friday, why didn't they hold the student panel on the main day of events?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

84Sunbird2000

Silver

Post by 84Sunbird2000 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:36 pm

sarlis wrote:

I took the tour of the law school at 215, and they never had the panel during or after that; everyone there either did the trolley thing or went on the tour of the law school (which was absolutely great, btw)

Also, a lot of students didn't go on friday, why didn't they hold the student panel on the main day of events?
Hmm...that is strange. I have to admit, this re-colors my view of the day today. I was actually pretty pleased and had bumped Case up. Now, I am a bit worried. They do have a lot of transfers going out (though also a lot coming in), so I wonder if there isn't something to your contention.

Did anyone who went yesterday have a report of what the student panel was like?

Also also, I was the person upstairs who used the microphone to inquire about the employment stats, regional placement, and whether or not they had used academia/other employment to shore up their total employment percentage. They had not.

I was just worried because of how Michigan State clearly cooked their employment books (98% employed, but 19.9% Academic employment, with salary information indicating at least 15 people making exactly $25k in that field) for their ASD yesterday.

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:58 pm

84Sunbird2000 wrote:
sarlis wrote:

Hmm...that is strange. I have to admit, this re-colors my view of the day today. I was actually pretty pleased and had bumped Case up. Now, I am a bit worried. They do have a lot of transfers going out (though also a lot coming in), so I wonder if there isn't something to your contention.

Did anyone who went yesterday have a report of what the student panel was like?

Also also, I was the person upstairs who used the microphone to inquire about the employment stats, regional placement, and whether or not they had used academia/other employment to shore up their total employment percentage. They had not.

I was just worried because of how Michigan State clearly cooked their employment books (98% employed, but 19.9% Academic employment, with salary information indicating at least 15 people making exactly $25k in that field) for their ASD yesterday.
Ohh my god, I laughed at you so hard. Primary because i was like "def. a TLS person."

Anyway, visiting today didn't really help or hurt case law for me.

Some of the positives: I was talking to a really awesome professor who is going to let me sit in on one of her classes.
The building is nicer than I remember it when I took the LSAT
They place better in NY and DC than I anticipated

Cons: I still don't love Cleveland. So meh.
I thought the presentation was really doom and gloom. The Dean was the worst speaker ever. Almost no one (except the career lady who I actually found informative) did anything at all to sell me on Case over other schools.
I too thought we needed a student panel. And a tour. The fact that the trolly tour was at the same time was stupid. Trolly tour was also very badly planned. My roomie had to play tour guide, since Case failed to provide a student guide. And there just aren't 2 hours worth of things to see in Cleveland. At one point the tour guide was pointing out every useless church we passed and simply reading the sign.

84Sunbird2000

Silver

Post by 84Sunbird2000 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:05 pm

snowpeach06 wrote: Ohh my god, I laughed at you so hard. Primary because i was like "def. a TLS person."

Some of the positives: I was talking to a really awesome professor who is going to let me sit in on one of her classes.

I thought the presentation was really doom and gloom. The Dean was the worst speaker ever. Almost no one (except the career lady who I actually found informative) did anything at all to sell me on Case over other schools.
I too thought we needed a student panel. And a tour. The fact that the trolly tour was at the same time was stupid. Trolly tour was also very badly planned. My roomie had to play tour guide, since Case failed to provide a student guide. And there just aren't 2 hours worth of things to see in Cleveland. At one point the tour guide was pointing out every useless church we passed and simply reading the sign.
Wow - our tour guide was not like that at all on my trolly (clearly a different trolly), and I didn't feel like there was much filler. Then again, I was born and raised in Rockford, IL, which is basically a smaller and more unemployment-ridden Cleveland with none of the art or culture.

I didn't miss the law school tour too much, because I just wandered around the building alone for most of that little "student fair" thing.

So....did I come across as a jerk for asking all of those questions?? I just wanted hard numbers... :oops:

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:10 pm

84Sunbird2000 wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote: Ohh my god, I laughed at you so hard. Primary because i was like "def. a TLS person."

Wow - our tour guide was not like that at all on my trolly (clearly a different trolly), and I didn't feel like there was much filler. Then again, I was born and raised in Rockford, IL, which is basically a smaller and more unemployment-ridden Cleveland with none of the art or culture.

I didn't miss the law school tour too much, because I just wandered around the building alone for most of that little "student fair" thing.

So....did I come across as a jerk for asking all of those questions?? I just wanted hard numbers... :oops:
Eh, I just find Cleveland a depressing city at times. I mean, downtown is basically dead. We have stuff, but, the city is only 'popin' so to speak when they are going on (baseball game, concert at Severance). So, it's like Cleveland is only fun when something specific is going on, not all the time. Then again, I'm slightly bitter, because I have friends here who really don't like to do stuff. And I'm sure if I had more adventurous friends, I might think more of the city. I mean, I don't know how the law school compares to our undergrad, but the undergrad is extremely nerdy and boring, and I'm done with that. As much as I don't mind studying and working hard, I need to mix it up. And my fun time can't be watching a movie on tv.

Anyway, yeah, not gonna lie. You came across as a tool.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:16 pm

Random PS - I'm in a really hardcore procrastination mood. So, if any of you are still in town and want to hang out tonight (although I realize the likelihood of this is nil', since it's already late-ish, and you would have to see this, ect.) let me know.
Last edited by snowpeach06 on Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

84Sunbird2000

Silver

Post by 84Sunbird2000 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:16 pm

snowpeach06 wrote: Anyway, yeah, not gonna lie. You came across as a tool.
Can I ask why? It seems to me very reasonable to want very precise details (rather than vague assurances) when you are talking about (likely)50k-75k in debt. I also felt it was unprofessional to not tell the students the 2009 data (and instead only 2008 data), when she did say they had compiled it but were waiting until "national averages" came out to post it.

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:18 pm

84Sunbird2000 wrote:
Can I ask why? It seems to me very reasonable to want very precise details (rather than vague assurances) when you are talking about (likely)50k-75k in debt. I also felt it was unprofessional to not tell the students the 2009 data (and instead only 2008 data), when she did say they had compiled it but were waiting until "national averages" came out to post it.
Probably just because you were reading off numbers. It's not so much what you asked as how you asked it.

angioletto

Bronze

Post by angioletto » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:19 pm

I thought today was great, although most of what was said I already knew. I did enjoy talking to a couple of professors and introducing myself to the financial aid person whom I have already contacted via e-mail and phone several times over the past few weeks. :oops: I thought she might like a face to go with the name. As did I.

It really made me even more excited to start school this fall although I do still feel some concern over the GPA requirements for my scholarship. From what they said today it sounds like top 20-25% is 3.15 and above. Does that sounds right? I don't see any reason why I wouldn't be in the top 20-25% but then again doesn't everyone think they will be towards the top? I guess that sums it up for me - excited to go there but terrified of losing my scholarship.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:22 pm

angioletto wrote:I thought today was great, although most of what was said I already knew. I did enjoy talking to a couple of professors and introducing myself to the financial aid person whom I have already contacted via e-mail and phone several times over the past few weeks. :oops: I thought she might like a face to go with the name. As did I.

It really made me even more excited to start school this fall although I do still feel some concern over the GPA requirements for my scholarship. From what they said today it sounds like top 20-25% is 3.15 and above. Does that sounds right? I don't see any reason why I wouldn't be in the top 20-25% but then again doesn't everyone think they will be towards the top? I guess that sums it up for me - excited to go there but terrified of losing my scholarship.
At least you can still get half the scholarship if you get above a 2.8. Which shouldn't be hard. And yeah, I think I pretty much just knew everything they covered, which was disappointing.

angioletto

Bronze

Post by angioletto » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:23 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
angioletto wrote:I thought today was great, although most of what was said I already knew. I did enjoy talking to a couple of professors and introducing myself to the financial aid person whom I have already contacted via e-mail and phone several times over the past few weeks. :oops: I thought she might like a face to go with the name. As did I.

At least you can still get half the scholarship if you get above a 2.8. Which shouldn't be hard. And yeah, I think I pretty much just knew everything they covered, which was disappointing.
I've pretty much already decided that if I can't pull a 2.8 law school might not be for me.

Does your avatar really look like you? It's funny because looking at it makes me think I met you....

84Sunbird2000

Silver

Post by 84Sunbird2000 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:24 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
84Sunbird2000 wrote:
Probably just because you were reading off numbers. It's not so much what you asked as how you asked it.

Oh, haha, I wasn't reading anything, but I guess without anyone seeing me, it probably sounded like that. I've actually memorized the ABA/LSAC, USNEWS, and NALP employment/admissions/breakdown data for all the schools I've applied to, so I just added those off the cuff to showcase what kind of data I was looking for.

In any case, even though I'd like to think I am not a tool, I'm probably up for anything (regarding your PS) this evening. I've got a hotel tonight and no deadline tomorrow, and it's either go out or just watch the NCAA tourney. Not to say that there's anything wrong with the latter, but I didn't fill out a bracket this year.....so I have no money or teams at stake.

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:25 pm

angioletto wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:

I've pretty much already decided that if I can't pull a 2.8 law school might not be for me.

Does your avatar really look like you? It's funny because looking at it makes me think I met you....
Uhm, no. I'm a girl. Maybe a similar nose, but that's about it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”