Case Western 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Kat.Ander

New

Re: Case Western 2010

Post by Kat.Ander » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:04 pm

Whitters wrote: I agree that it was odd there wasn't a student panel, and I only found one 2L during the cocktail hour to talk to, and I think I really irritated the people around me because I attacked him with at least 10 questions about student life because it was my only opportunity. I wonder if it was Spring Break or something on Saturday and that is why the students weren't around? It was a bit unsettling and that is my main complaint as well.
Case's Spring Break was the 9th-14th, so the lack of students does concern me. Thanks to all who posted about the ASW - I wasn't able to attend because of a Spring Break trip and I appreciate all of the information!

angioletto

Bronze

Post by angioletto » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:26 pm

realworldescapee wrote:This is the curve I have seen for every LS I have seen unless otherwise noted. If you are concerned about the exact breakdown of the scale then send an email to someone. But if you go into the conversation thinking someone isn't truthful tou pretty much know the answer to your question before you ask it.
Thanks. Don't misunderstand me here... I am not on a mission "to get to the bottom of this" or anything extreme like that. I was just curious about the info you had. The grading scale I am used to is so ingrained in my head that it didn't even occur to me that Case might use a different one. A 3.15 being a B is awesome seeing how I thought it was an A-.

84Sunbird2000

Silver

Post by 84Sunbird2000 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:38 pm

angioletto wrote:
realworldescapee wrote:This is the curve I have seen for every LS I have seen unless otherwise noted. If you are concerned about the exact breakdown of the scale then send an email to someone. But if you go into the conversation thinking someone isn't truthful tou pretty much know the answer to your question before you ask it.
Thanks. Don't misunderstand me here... I am not on a mission "to get to the bottom of this" or anything extreme like that. I was just curious about the info you had. The grading scale I am used to is so ingrained in my head that it didn't even occur to me that Case might use a different one. A 3.15 being a B is awesome seeing how I thought it was an A-.

Really?? I was under the impression that all schools, undergrad, grad, and law school considered an A average to be 3.51 and above. B is 3.0, B-plus 3.3 or 3.33 depending on the school, and B-minus a 2.7 or 2.66 depending on the school.

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:49 pm

Case undergrad is strange because we don't have +/-, but here
4.0 - A
3.0 - B
ect. ect.
The +/- thing will take some getting used to.

angioletto

Bronze

Post by angioletto » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:42 am

OK, I think I was wrong. (You'll have to forgive me. I have come down with some sort of illness and my brain doesn't seem to be working properly!) I think snowpeach06 illustrated it best in the previous post - if an A is a 4.0 and a B is a 3.0 and there are no pluses/minuses then there is no way to achieve a 3.15 in an individual class. You either have a 4.0 (A) or a 3.0 (B) (or lower, but you get what I am saying.) So it isn't a variation in grade points assigned so much as the elimination of possible grade point values for individual classes due to the lack of pluses and minuses.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:40 pm

angioletto wrote:OK, I think I was wrong. (You'll have to forgive me. I have come down with some sort of illness and my brain doesn't seem to be working properly!) I think snowpeach06 illustrated it best in the previous post - if an A is a 4.0 and a B is a 3.0 and there are no pluses/minuses then there is no way to achieve a 3.15 in an individual class. You either have a 4.0 (A) or a 3.0 (B) (or lower, but you get what I am saying.) So it isn't a variation in grade points assigned so much as the elimination of possible grade point values for individual classes due to the lack of pluses and minuses.
The theory behind it though is that it helps you if you were to say, get an A-, which I think a lot of the pre med kids here do. Usually though, it will hurt me, because in stuff like econ, I tend to get a B+, plus there is less room to negotiate a grade with a teacher. The law school, however, has +/- for individual classes.

ianfitzy

New

Post by ianfitzy » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:52 pm

Had my phone interview today. I thought it went well and hope to be hearing from Case soon.

sapp

Bronze

Post by sapp » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:37 pm

Anyone that went to the weekend have any suggestions on hotels to stay at? I wasn't able to get up that way for the weekend but will be visiting soon. I'm looking for something inexpensive and at least nice enough that I'll be able to sleep through the night.

84Sunbird2000

Silver

Post by 84Sunbird2000 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:09 pm

sapp wrote:Anyone that went to the weekend have any suggestions on hotels to stay at? I wasn't able to get up that way for the weekend but will be visiting soon. I'm looking for something inexpensive and at least nice enough that I'll be able to sleep through the night.
I got a really nice DoubleTree about 10 miles south of Case (Independence) for $32 plus taxes and fees using Priceline.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sapp

Bronze

Post by sapp » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:17 pm

84Sunbird2000 wrote:
sapp wrote:Anyone that went to the weekend have any suggestions on hotels to stay at? I wasn't able to get up that way for the weekend but will be visiting soon. I'm looking for something inexpensive and at least nice enough that I'll be able to sleep through the night.
I got a really nice DoubleTree about 10 miles south of Case (Independence) for $32 plus taxes and fees using Priceline.
sweet - thx, I'll look into that. :)

ianfitzy

New

Post by ianfitzy » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:03 pm

Just got my acceptance email... Real happy.

Any idea when I should expect any info regarding possible scholarships/financial aid?

sapp

Bronze

Post by sapp » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:10 pm

ianfitzy wrote:Just got my acceptance email... Real happy.

Any idea when I should expect any info regarding possible scholarships/financial aid?
Within the next hour to two days from now. Email.

And congrats! :)

ianfitzy

New

Post by ianfitzy » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:48 pm

Just got the email... $15,000 a year renewable with a 3.15.

How hard is a 3.15 at Case to maintain?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

realworldescapee

New

Post by realworldescapee » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:04 pm

Last edited by realworldescapee on Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

SniperBarbie

New

Post by SniperBarbie » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:58 pm

has anyone had a phone interview and NOT been accepted? i had mine last thursday, thought it went extremely well, and still have yet to hear anything. my online tracker hasn't been updated since 3/5 either. trying to hold it together...

roguey

Bronze

Post by roguey » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:13 pm

Yesterday I received an email inviting me to apply for a social justice scholarship. I'm wondering if anyone else received the same email. I wish I knew how many people were invited to apply, lol. I really want that scholarship! :)

84Sunbird2000

Silver

Post by 84Sunbird2000 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:36 pm

roguey wrote:Yesterday I received an email inviting me to apply for a social justice scholarship. I'm wondering if anyone else received the same email. I wish I knew how many people were invited to apply, lol. I really want that scholarship! :)
I received the invite, and I was excited initially, but it said the deadline for the scholarship is April 19. This means, as far as I can guess, that the scholarship won't be awarded until after the deposit deadline. Thus, it won't help me make a decision.

Also, shot down trying to negotiate from 35k up to a full ride today.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:10 pm

84Sunbird2000 wrote:
roguey wrote:Yesterday I received an email inviting me to apply for a social justice scholarship. I'm wondering if anyone else received the same email. I wish I knew how many people were invited to apply, lol. I really want that scholarship! :)
I received the invite, and I was excited initially, but it said the deadline for the scholarship is April 19. This means, as far as I can guess, that the scholarship won't be awarded until after the deposit deadline. Thus, it won't help me make a decision.

Also, shot down trying to negotiate from 35k up to a full ride today.
$35k is still a ton. Means your only paying 5 a year. I mean, that's like nothing in the grand scheme of things.

sapp

Bronze

Post by sapp » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:18 pm

Anyone have a link to a map of where Case Law grads practice?
(perhaps showing density %s, etc)

woodstocker

New

Post by woodstocker » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:42 pm

Accepted with 10,000 annual scholarship! I really like the looks of Case but am hesitant with the cost. I have been heavily considering Syracuse, where tuition stands at 16,500 after scholarship, but I feel as though I could be passing up a great opportunity at Case. What doors would Case open for me? At nearly double the price I'm finding it difficult to justify. Is 30k a year too much for case?

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:12 am

woodstocker wrote:Accepted with 10,000 annual scholarship! I really like the looks of Case but am hesitant with the cost. I have been heavily considering Syracuse, where tuition stands at 16,500 after scholarship, but I feel as though I could be passing up a great opportunity at Case. What doors would Case open for me? At nearly double the price I'm finding it difficult to justify. Is 30k a year too much for case?
I don't want to be one of those rankings nazis, but, a school ranked 55 is going to open way more doors than a tier 3, or 4? I have the same issues as you, with money (why SUNY Buffalo is still in the running). It's a hard choice. And of course it depends on what sort of law you want to go into. But, for that big of a rankings difference, I think it is worth the larger amount of money to go to the better school.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

angioletto

Bronze

Post by angioletto » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:04 am

sapp wrote:Anyone have a link to a map of where Case Law grads practice?
(perhaps showing density %s, etc)
I don't think this is online, but I do have a hard copy with number of students employed in each state. You could probably request a copy of this sheet from them. (or if you want info on a specific state I could just tell you what it says.)

roguey

Bronze

Post by roguey » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:37 am

snowpeach06 wrote:
woodstocker wrote:Accepted with 10,000 annual scholarship! I really like the looks of Case but am hesitant with the cost. I have been heavily considering Syracuse, where tuition stands at 16,500 after scholarship, but I feel as though I could be passing up a great opportunity at Case. What doors would Case open for me? At nearly double the price I'm finding it difficult to justify. Is 30k a year too much for case?
I don't want to be one of those rankings nazis, but, a school ranked 55 is going to open way more doors than a tier 3, or 4? I have the same issues as you, with money (why SUNY Buffalo is still in the running). It's a hard choice. And of course it depends on what sort of law you want to go into. But, for that big of a rankings difference, I think it is worth the larger amount of money to go to the better school.
I am in a similar boat. I got 30k to case and full tuition plus 5k to Stetson. Both have about the same rank requirement (~40%) to keep the scholarship. The one thing that keeps bringing me back to Stetson is a new JD/Grado en Derecho program with the Universidad de Granada. That would allow me to practice in Spain, but the 4th year of the program would be completely on my dime. I'm planning on putting in deposits at both, and then seeing what this new student loan bill might do for me and my current student loans.

woodstocker

New

Post by woodstocker » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:59 am

Yeah, I'm planning on taking a trip out to Cleveland to try and get a feel for Case and then make a decision from there. I'm still waiting on SUNY-Buffalo. If you have any general questions about SUNY let me know. I am an undergraduate here.

realworldescapee

New

Post by realworldescapee » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:10 am

Last edited by realworldescapee on Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”