Case Western 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
charlesjd

Bronze

Re: Case Western 2010

Post by charlesjd » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:33 am

JCougar wrote:
creamedcats wrote:
JCougar wrote: Yes, but only 68% of the class reported their salary, which is low from what I've seen. Because of the lack of response rate, 145k could be as high as the top 17%, which still isn't bad. The ones who didn't report are more likely to be those who had little inclination to report.

Despite that, Case places well for it's ranking, and is an underranked school.

I'm in a bind, because I think I'm going to have to withdraw even though Case is the top school I have been admitted to so far. They gave me more of a scholarship than I was expecting, but I'm also waitlisted at a handful of schools that I would choose over it. And my waitlists are more last-minute file completion waitlists than borderline numbers waitlists. I was a February retaker, and coupled with every single other school except for Case taking forever, I'm a bit behind on the whole process of figuring out my choices.

I know I would be happy at Case for the amount they gave me, but it's not likely enough of a choice for me right now to throw down $200. I kind of feel like a fool for throwing away my best offer on the table so far, though. Maybe I can call and get a week extension on the deadline.
Is it money or are you waiting on another school? Call them today and tell them you'll deposit if they bump your scholarship, that you'll probably have to withdraw if not, and if they say they can't, ask for the extension. Is there a 'magic number' for you? I see you on LSN - they might give you a bump.
It's more the other schools. I believe I have been yield protected at Wisconsin where I get in-state tuition (which would make it cheaper than Case anyways). I sent in my LOCI there today. Also, WUSTL has admitted many people with my numbers early on in the cycle, and Dean Pless said that he expects waitlist activity at Illinois to be moderate to heavy this year. And I haven't heard ANYTHING from Minnesota yet. It's not the money...what I really need is an extension. My cycle started late due to my February retake and I really haven't heard back definitively from enough schools to make any decisions yet. I'm not really all that concerned with the ranks of the other schools, since I think Case should be ranked much higher in the first place. I want Chicago biglaw like it's nobody's business, and Case is fine for that and would be cheaper than some of my other options. I just need more time, but I'm also mindful of other students on the waitlist wanting to get in.
Well good luck with your decision and everything. It seems you are where I was last week. I gave up on Wisconsin (WL), Iowa (WL), IU in but no not worth sticker whatsoever (that's right bloomington you TTT), WUSTL (WL), UIUC (WL and in-state for me is way more than Case+scholly, which = a joke).

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:38 am

charlesjd wrote: Well good luck with your decision and everything. It seems you are where I was last week. I gave up on Wisconsin (WL), Iowa (WL), IU in but no not worth sticker whatsoever (that's right bloomington you TTT), WUSTL (WL), UIUC (WL and in-state for me is way more than Case+scholly, which = a joke).
You too. I guess I'll just call admissions tomorrow and be honest with them and see what they want me to do.

And, FTR, IU-B is totally overrated. Case really belongs in the T40 or so, and IU-B probably should be 45th or something.

creamedcats

Bronze

Post by creamedcats » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:43 am

JCougar wrote:It's more the other schools. I believe I have been yield protected at Wisconsin where I get in-state tuition (which would make it cheaper than Case anyways). I sent in my LOCI there today. Also, WUSTL has admitted many people with my numbers early on in the cycle, and Dean Pless said that he expects waitlist activity at Illinois to be moderate to heavy this year. And I haven't heard ANYTHING from Minnesota yet. It's not the money...what I really need is an extension. My cycle started late due to my February retake and I really haven't heard back definitively from enough schools to make any decisions yet. I'm not really all that concerned with the ranks of the other schools, since I think Case should be ranked much higher in the first place. I want Chicago biglaw like it's nobody's business, and Case is fine for that and would be cheaper than some of my other options. I just need more time, but I'm also mindful of other students on the waitlist wanting to get in.
That's reasonable. Call and try for the extension. Even if they don't give it to you, you might want to drop the 200 for the deposit. What if you get none of your other options? Either way, good luck! :)

roguey

Bronze

Post by roguey » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:47 am

JCougar wrote:
charlesjd wrote: Well good luck with your decision and everything. It seems you are where I was last week. I gave up on Wisconsin (WL), Iowa (WL), IU in but no not worth sticker whatsoever (that's right bloomington you TTT), WUSTL (WL), UIUC (WL and in-state for me is way more than Case+scholly, which = a joke).
You too. I guess I'll just call admissions tomorrow and be honest with them and see what they want me to do.

And, FTR, IU-B is totally overrated. Case really belongs in the T40 or so, and IU-B probably should be 45th or something.
Because I'm paranoid, I would so throw down the $200. I know I was freaking out until I was accepted to UNLV with a full ride because I was so afraid I wouldn't get into any school I could afford. You might want to do the deposit just to be safe. That's my two cents :)

angioletto

Bronze

Post by angioletto » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:45 am

roguey wrote:Ok. Now I'm worried about the scholarship. I asked Tonya how many students lost their scholarships after the first year on average, and she said "none." Turns out, this is the first year they have had gpa stipulations. Before this year, all scholarships were guaranteed. They changed it because each year the top 10% was made up of non-scholarship students, and those with scholarships didn't try as hard as they think they should. According to her, "If you got the scholarship, then you can get that GPA. A 3.15 is not that hard for students to get." Still scares me that we are guinea pigs.
That bugs me too. I understand why they have chosen to have a GPA requirement but it is terrifying knowing that my scholarship isn't guaranteed and a total bummer knowing that just last year it would have been more "secure." I really can't imagine why anyone - scholarship or not - would put forth less than 100% effort while in law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

alee825

New

Post by alee825 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:41 am

macaulian wrote:what class?
I'm not sure...they just emailed me and told me to be at the school at the admissions office at 9:15 and to sit in on a first-year class at 10:30.

alannak

New

Post by alannak » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:00 pm

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/ ... /100419909

Interesting article about CWRU's ranking, and the school's strategy for moving up in future years.

nick637

Bronze

Post by nick637 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:06 pm

--LinkRemoved--

already posted but what the heck

charlesjd

Bronze

Post by charlesjd » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:24 pm

Last edited by charlesjd on Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

angioletto

Bronze

Post by angioletto » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:08 pm

charlesjd wrote:
alannak wrote:http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/ ... /100419909

Interesting article about CWRU's ranking, and the school's strategy for moving up in future years.
I'm flattered lol... best class in more than a decade...

Sounds great.
I don't know if that is flattering or terrifying.

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Hey guys, I just got a giant list of open apartments in Cleveland Heights, so if anyone wants me to forward it to them, I can.

charlesjd

Bronze

Post by charlesjd » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:23 pm

Last edited by charlesjd on Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nick637

Bronze

Post by nick637 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:27 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:Hey guys, I just got a giant list of open apartments in Cleveland Heights, so if anyone wants me to forward it to them, I can.
Are landlords accepting deposits for students who are moving in around july? I would assume most of the apartments that are open would be taken by then no?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:07 pm

nick637 wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:Hey guys, I just got a giant list of open apartments in Cleveland Heights, so if anyone wants me to forward it to them, I can.
Are landlords accepting deposits for students who are moving in around july? I would assume most of the apartments that are open would be taken by then no?
No idea. Honestly.

angioletto

Bronze

Post by angioletto » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:31 pm

charlesjd wrote:
angioletto wrote:
charlesjd wrote:
alannak wrote:http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/ ... /100419909

I'm flattered lol... best class in more than a decade...

Sounds great.
I don't know if that is flattering or terrifying.
Why would you say terrifying? I saw it as quite positive, next years rankings should be interesting.
Maybe terrifying isn't the right word. More like intimidating? Like the bar is set higher this year than in past years?

Shadowcat

New

Post by Shadowcat » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:20 pm

Case is amazing and I couldn't be happier. But all of you should join the Facebook group for the Class of 2013 only 29 members looks a little weak.

Perhaps Ill see some of you soon!

84Sunbird2000

Silver

Post by 84Sunbird2000 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:37 pm

Damn, I've enjoyed my time as pro-Case troll and I wish I could bring myself to take the money and come to Cleveland, but I'm off to William & Mary. I'll be in about 15k more debt from W&M, but I just like the DC connection more. Case is good for DC, but not quite as good.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

macaulian

New

Post by macaulian » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:46 pm

can you link the group here

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:52 pm

creamedcats

Bronze

Post by creamedcats » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:55 pm

84Sunbird2000 wrote:Damn, I've enjoyed my time as pro-Case troll and I wish I could bring myself to take the money and come to Cleveland, but I'm off to William & Mary. I'll be in about 15k more debt from W&M, but I just like the DC connection more. Case is good for DC, but not quite as good.
That's not a big difference in money - I would have a hard time turning down W&M. Sounds like a good choice, good luck!

roguey

Bronze

Post by roguey » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:24 am

I saw on the facebook page something about an entering students day on June 11. Does anyone know about this? I don't think I've received any information about it, but I may have just not noticed it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

GetYaPopcornReady

New

Post by GetYaPopcornReady » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:11 pm

I put down my deposit, now I'm kinda curious if anyone has heard about the financial aid process. Besides filling out the FAFSA, are we supposed to send in anymore info?

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:57 pm

GetYaPopcornReady wrote:I put down my deposit, now I'm kinda curious if anyone has heard about the financial aid process. Besides filling out the FAFSA, are we supposed to send in anymore info?
I was just thinking about this like 5 minutes ago. I think there is stuff to do. I just don't know what. But, I should probably figure it out, since I'll need loans for next year.

sapp

Bronze

Post by sapp » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:06 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
GetYaPopcornReady wrote:I put down my deposit, now I'm kinda curious if anyone has heard about the financial aid process. Besides filling out the FAFSA, are we supposed to send in anymore info?
I was just thinking about this like 5 minutes ago. I think there is stuff to do. I just don't know what. But, I should probably figure it out, since I'll need loans for next year.
They said we can expect an email soon with further details. I believe there is a separate Case form we'll have to complete. I would guess sometime in the next 2 weeks we will get a mass email.

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:21 pm

Case was pretty good in undergrad at forcing you to get all your forms done by reminding you constantly, so I'm not that worried.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”