Hofstra 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Hofstra 2013

Postby ndirish2010 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:33 pm

Mine went to my school address, so I will let you know when I open it on Friday...

jcrisp
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:03 pm

Re: Hofstra 2013

Postby jcrisp » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:44 pm

I was accepted 2 weeks ago and received a $20,000 scholarship shorthly thereafter. Good luck to everyone still waiting. 3.1/158

wpc1532
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:20 pm

Re: Hofstra 2013

Postby wpc1532 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:15 pm

Deferred 'till March. I think I'm going to pull my app.

stoicjustice
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:33 pm

Re: Hofstra 2013

Postby stoicjustice » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:28 pm

jcrisp wrote:I was accepted 2 weeks ago and received a $20,000 scholarship shorthly thereafter. Good luck to everyone still waiting. 3.1/158


Where did you get your scholarship information? Snail mail? Email??

jcrisp
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:03 pm

Re: Hofstra 2013

Postby jcrisp » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:59 pm

snail mail

User avatar
Gunz353
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:12 am

Re: Hofstra 2013

Postby Gunz353 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:14 pm

"Deferred until March"?? Seriously? I have a 157, 2.73. Do they really care that much about GPA?

Jagg3003
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:52 am

Re: Hofstra 2013

Postby Jagg3003 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:56 pm

Gunz353 wrote:"Deferred until March"?? Seriously? I have a 157, 2.73. Do they really care that much about GPA?


I guess so, I have a 166 and a 2.8 and was deferred until March.

I only applied b/c it was free and I went there for undergrad, wasn't planning on actually going, but thanks for the F-you Hof!

champ33
Posts: 415
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:34 pm

Re: Hofstra 2013

Postby champ33 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:46 pm

I was accepted just now via e-mail (162, 3.5). No mention of scholarships although I expect a very large one in the mail, otherwise won't really consider Hofstra.

wpc1532
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:20 pm

Re: Hofstra 2013

Postby wpc1532 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:10 pm

Gunz353 wrote:"Deferred until March"?? Seriously? I have a 157, 2.73. Do they really care that much about GPA?


Deferred till march, too. Oh well.

I withdrew my app.
Last edited by wpc1532 on Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ILoveClowns8
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:04 pm

Re: Hofstra 2013

Postby ILoveClowns8 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:43 am

Accepted awhile ago with a hand written note included, I was genuinely impressed. According to the status checker an "Honors Scholarship" letter was sent as well, but I never received anything that I am aware of.

champ33
Posts: 415
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:34 pm

Re: Hofstra 2013

Postby champ33 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:51 pm

They sent me an e-mail with a link to an admitted students login page.. the link did not work.

sdavid
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:37 pm

Re: Hofstra 2013

Postby sdavid » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:16 pm

This may be a naive question, but what is exactly does "deferred till March" entail. Does that mean they've took an in depth look a the applicant and they are now on some sort of waiting list? Or is it the kind of thing where they took a quick glance at the numbers and put the applicant in the "we'll get back to this later pile."

They're may not be answer for this- just wanted some more information on the process if possible.

nyred10
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:17 pm

Re: Hofstra 2013

Postby nyred10 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:44 pm

champ33 wrote:They sent me an e-mail with a link to an admitted students login page.. the link did not work.


The link in the email doesn't work but you can access the page from Hofstra's website. Go to http://law.hofstra.edu/JDAdmissions/index.html and click on "Accepted Students" on the left side.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Hofstra 2013

Postby ndirish2010 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:50 pm

Got my acceptance letter upon my return to school, $35000/yr scholarship contingent upon top 40% of the class. Also got a handwritten note from the Assistant Dean John Chalmers. I will probably be withdrawing soon, but holding on to it for now

DURS
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:57 pm

Re: Hofstra 2013

Postby DURS » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:46 pm

Jagg3003 wrote:I guess so, I have a 166 and a 2.8 and was deferred until March.

I only applied b/c it was free and I went there for undergrad, wasn't planning on actually going, but thanks for the F-you Hof!


That's insane. My numbers were 165/2.5. I applied this time last cycle, and was accepted with a ~$30K/year scholarship within 3 weeks of going complete.

I guess they're really trying to boost their GPA #'s.

kcolo
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Hofstra 2013

Postby kcolo » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:28 pm

Deferred until March...what exactly does that mean? Waitlisted?

User avatar
oberlin08
Posts: 426
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:37 pm

Re: Hofstra 2013

Postby oberlin08 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:19 am

kcolo wrote:Deferred until March...what exactly does that mean? Waitlisted?



Sortof. It just meants that they want to wait and see what kind of applicants the rest of january and february will bring them. and then they will re-read your file in light of the new applicants.

User avatar
OGR3
Posts: 881
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:56 pm

Re: Hofstra 2013

Postby OGR3 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:12 am

Jagg3003 wrote:
Gunz353 wrote:"Deferred until March"?? Seriously? I have a 157, 2.73. Do they really care that much about GPA?


I guess so, I have a 166 and a 2.8 and was deferred until March.

I only applied b/c it was free and I went there for undergrad, wasn't planning on actually going, but thanks for the F-you Hof!


I'm sorry! I got in with a similar gpa and slightly higher LSAT, with a scholly (though I don't know for how much yet). This cycle has been odd.

amclane
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:08 pm

Re: Hofstra 2013

Postby amclane » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:41 am

I have a questions about Hofstra maybe someone will be able to answer.

How close is it to NYC? I would potentially be living with my S.O. who would try to find a job in the city. Would this be possible? What are our living/commuting options if I were at Hofstra and he worked in the city?

nyred10
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:17 pm

Re: Hofstra 2013

Postby nyred10 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:19 pm

amclane wrote:I have a questions about Hofstra maybe someone will be able to answer.

How close is it to NYC? I would potentially be living with my S.O. who would try to find a job in the city. Would this be possible? What are our living/commuting options if I were at Hofstra and he worked in the city?


Hofstra is about a 40-50 train ride to Penn Station in Manhattan. The Long Island Rail Road moves tens of thousands of people from Long Island to Manhattan for work each day, so it is very doable. I live on Long Island and commuted to lower Manhattan every day last summer for my internship. I live about fifteen minutes from Hofstra, and it took me about an hour to an hour and twenty minutes to commute each way.

You could also both live in NYC and reverse-commute (go from NYC out to L.I. in the morning and come back in the evening) to Hofstra, although I don't know if you would be comfortable living so far away from law school. I think your best bet would be to live near Hofstra and have your S.O. commute back and forth. P.M. me if you need more information!

kkslider
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:52 pm

Re: Hofstra 2013

Postby kkslider » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:23 pm

nyred10 wrote:
amclane wrote:I have a questions about Hofstra maybe someone will be able to answer.

How close is it to NYC? I would potentially be living with my S.O. who would try to find a job in the city. Would this be possible? What are our living/commuting options if I were at Hofstra and he worked in the city?


Hofstra is about a 40-50 train ride to Penn Station in Manhattan. The Long Island Rail Road moves tens of thousands of people from Long Island to Manhattan for work each day, so it is very doable. I live on Long Island and commuted to lower Manhattan every day last summer for my internship. I live about fifteen minutes from Hofstra, and it took me about an hour to an hour and twenty minutes to commute each way.

You could also both live in NYC and reverse-commute (go from NYC out to L.I. in the morning and come back in the evening) to Hofstra, although I don't know if you would be comfortable living so far away from law school. I think your best bet would be to live near Hofstra and have your S.O. commute back and forth. P.M. me if you need more information!


Dude, you live on LI and are going to the Hof?!?! WE SHOULD BE ROOMMATES!!

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Hofstra 2013

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:39 pm

Withdrawing from Hofstra today, opening up $35K/yr in scholarship as well. Good luck to all those who were deferred!

User avatar
Onion
Posts: 235
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:45 pm

Re: Hofstra 2013

Postby Onion » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:51 am

In yesterday by email. Status checker changed to review by committee or something of that nature and received an email a few hours later. First acceptance makes it that much sweeter but need scholarship money to consider attending. Any idea when I will hear about $$. Numbers are 3.3x/160.

EDIT: Status checker says Honors Scholarship letter was sent, how much is that good for?
Last edited by Onion on Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Columbia Law
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:51 pm

Re: Hofstra 2013

Postby Columbia Law » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:53 am

uhhioho
Last edited by Columbia Law on Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NJ914
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:14 pm

Re: Hofstra 2013

Postby NJ914 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:11 am

Onion wrote:In yesterday by email. Status checker changed to review by committee or something of that nature and received an email a few hours later. First acceptance makes it that much sweeter but need scholarship money to consider attending. Any idea when I will hear about $$. Numbers are 3.3x/160.

EDIT: Status checker says Honors Scholarship letter was sent, how much is that good for?


Same thing here, got the email yesterday and saw the honors scholarship thing on the status checker. Would definitely like to know what that entails...

First acceptance for me too! Finally some good news.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: amberb94, Baby Gaga, christinaxcarrie, curry1, joezze, Nobiggie, notausername, potterotter, root_beer, wishywashy, Yahoo [Bot] and 28 guests