Hofstra 2013 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
hanabana

New

Re: Hofstra 2013

Post by hanabana » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:38 pm

Just got Scholarship letter today: $15k a year as well. However, the requirement to renew this $ is to stay within top 40% of class! I think this is strict, perhaps even more strict than a gpa requirement.
I have the same concern as you, knickfan, top 40% would not be an easy task, I would imagine...

Has anyone tried to negotiate with Hofstra regarding scholarship? Should I call to see if they can possibly offer a little more (even a couple thousand would make a huge difference!), and also to see if they'd be willing to remove the top 40% requirement or at least make it less strict? Would it hurt to try doing these?

Sigh... I know I got a scholarship for NYLS as well, but I don't know how much yet, wondering if I should wait for that before doing something about Hofstra... But again, first deposit is almost due...

Please share any comments or experiences you have had about negotiating scholarship with Hofstra, thank you.

Compaq1984

Bronze

Post by Compaq1984 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:37 pm

hanabana wrote:Just got Scholarship letter today: $15k a year as well. However, the requirement to renew this $ is to stay within top 40% of class! I think this is strict, perhaps even more strict than a gpa requirement.
I have the same concern as you, knickfan, top 40% would not be an easy task, I would imagine...

Has anyone tried to negotiate with Hofstra regarding scholarship? Should I call to see if they can possibly offer a little more (even a couple thousand would make a huge difference!), and also to see if they'd be willing to remove the top 40% requirement or at least make it less strict? Would it hurt to try doing these?

Sigh... I know I got a scholarship for NYLS as well, but I don't know how much yet, wondering if I should wait for that before doing something about Hofstra... But again, first deposit is almost due...

Please share any comments or experiences you have had about negotiating scholarship with Hofstra, thank you.
FWIW....
Top 40% is pretty lenient from what Ive seen in terms of scholarship renewal...
RU-C/RU-N are like 3.3 gpa or even like 3.5
NYLS is also very high... maybe top 10% or something
Just a couple examples and I dont have the info in front of me but Top 40% really isnt too bad....
And you can always try talking to them...
GL and HTH somewhat!

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:16 am

It takes FOREVER for Hofstra mail to get to me. I STILL haven't gotten my scholarship info letter. The same thing happened for my acceptance letter, it took 2 weeks to get to me. Urg!

rossrobert

New

Post by rossrobert » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:38 am

Got denied this morning, really thought maybe they would consider me for the PT program, but guess not. Really hate the LSAT. Good luck to everyone else still waiting.

hanabana

New

Post by hanabana » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:30 pm

To rossrobert: I'm sorry to hear that, I hope you get in somewhere else you want to go, and good luck.

[/quote]
FWIW....
Just a couple examples and I dont have the info in front of me but Top 40% really isnt too bad....
GL and HTH somewhat![/quote]

Thanks for your reply. I just got the NYLS package today.
NYLS is offering me $20,000 per year, renewable if I maintain a 3.35 gpa. However, they did offer alternatives if I do not maintain such a gpa. Here's the breakdown: 3.25-3.34 ($15,000), 3.15-3.24 ($10,000), 3.10-3.14 ($5,000). If I fall below 3.10 then there's be no scholarship.
Is this stricter than Hofstra's requirement of top 40%? But Hofstra didn't offer any alternatives, if I fall out of 40% no $ will be awarded... Does anyone know generally how hard it is to maintain a 3.35 gpa in law school, do most students do so or is this really rare?
Now that I got the NYLS offer I plan to talk to Hofstra about the scholarship, but I feel I should know more about both schools before I do so.
Thoughts anyone?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

knickfan

Bronze

Post by knickfan » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:49 pm

hanabana wrote:To rossrobert: I'm sorry to hear that, I hope you get in somewhere else you want to go, and good luck.
FWIW....

NYLS is offering me $20,000 per year, renewable if I maintain a 3.35 gpa. However, they did offer alternatives if I do not maintain such a gpa. Here's the breakdown: 3.25-3.34 ($15,000), 3.15-3.24 ($10,000), 3.10-3.14 ($5,000). If I fall below 3.10 then there's be no scholarship.
Is this stricter than Hofstra's requirement of top 40%? But Hofstra didn't offer any alternatives, if I fall out of 40% no $ will be awarded... Does anyone know generally how hard it is to maintain a 3.35 gpa in law school, do most students do so or is this really rare?
Now that I got the NYLS offer I plan to talk to Hofstra about the scholarship, but I feel I should know more about both schools before I do so.
Thoughts anyone?[/quote]

call Hofstra and ask what happens if I'm not top 40? I'm sure you still get a proportionate amount of scholarship $.

I don't think there is anyway of telling how hard it will be because 09's 1L class could be full of geniuses where as '10 1L class is full of average joes. I wish schools were as clear as NYLS's scholarship terms.

If you end up calling Hofstra let me know!!!!!!!!!!!!

acoon624

New

Post by acoon624 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:47 pm

rossrobert wrote:Got denied this morning, really thought maybe they would consider me for the PT program, but guess not. Really hate the LSAT. Good luck to everyone else still waiting.

Same thing happened to me....oh well.

Compaq1984

Bronze

Post by Compaq1984 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:08 pm

hanabana wrote:To rossrobert: I'm sorry to hear that, I hope you get in somewhere else you want to go, and good luck.
FWIW....

Thoughts anyone?[/quote]

hey, not sure if the info is definitely on this page but this site has alot of information about law schools.. like what their grade curves are, req for law review, etc.... check it out... http://www.nalplawschoolsonline.org/

hanabana

New

Post by hanabana » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:46 pm

For knickfan and those of you interested in knowing:

I called Hofstra today to find out if they'll be willing to offer a higher scholarship amount and what happens if I fall out of the top 40%. I was told to email them the request, along with copies of competing offers from other schools, and then they will get back to me. As for the top 40%, if I fail to do so the first year, I'll have a term to try and pull it back up there, and then they will re-evaluate my eligibility. (During the time that you try and get back in the top, you do not get scholarship) It doesn't sound like Hofstra will give you partial scholarship, it sounded like if you fall out of 40%, there'll be no scholarship available anymore.
Anyway, I will probably be emailing Hofstra to see if they'd be willing to give me a bit more scholarship.

Thanks, Compaq1984, the website is very informative! By the looks of NYLS's gpa needed for ranking percentages, it looks like top 40% is more lenient than a gpa of 3.35... Looks like 3.35 usually falls in the top 30%. So now I'm thinking if I email NYLS's offer to me, I hope Hofstra doesn't give me a strict gpa requirement as well... Sigh, such headache from choosing a school...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ligirl

New

Post by ligirl » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:14 pm

hanabana wrote:For knickfan and those of you interested in knowing:

I called Hofstra today to find out if they'll be willing to offer a higher scholarship amount and what happens if I fall out of the top 40%. I was told to email them the request, along with copies of competing offers from other schools, and then they will get back to me. As for the top 40%, if I fail to do so the first year, I'll have a term to try and pull it back up there, and then they will re-evaluate my eligibility. (During the time that you try and get back in the top, you do not get scholarship) It doesn't sound like Hofstra will give you partial scholarship, it sounded like if you fall out of 40%, there'll be no scholarship available anymore.
Anyway, I will probably be emailing Hofstra to see if they'd be willing to give me a bit more scholarship.

Thanks, Compaq1984, the website is very informative! By the looks of NYLS's gpa needed for ranking percentages, it looks like top 40% is more lenient than a gpa of 3.35... Looks like 3.35 usually falls in the top 30%. So now I'm thinking if I email NYLS's offer to me, I hope Hofstra doesn't give me a strict gpa requirement as well... Sigh, such headache from choosing a school...
As far as increasing scholarships.. they do it. I sent in other offers and was increased from $35K to full. So definitely send in a letter.

corporatelaw87

Bronze

Post by corporatelaw87 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:55 pm

I sent in a scholarship negotiation letter, but they didn't budge. Ligirl you mind sharing your stats, and other offers, PM me if necessary thanks!

hanabana

New

Post by hanabana » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:35 pm

Hey ligirl, when you say you "sent in other offers", did you actually show them the official letter from the other schools? I was wondering if I should do that, being that NYLS's offer is a bit strict, and I'm afraid Hofstra will do that to me after seeing it. But they probably wouldn't believe me if I just say how much I was offered without proof. And how long did they take to get back to you? I'm concerned b/c it's spring break right now, and the deposit due date is almost here... Please let me know if you don't mind, thanks so much!

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:31 am

Just got my scholly form and I got $15k. I'm not sure if that's enough to make me move to NY though.

Are any of you worried about Hofstra falling out of T2 status? I know Stetson Law (St. Pete) was in a similiar ranking and then they dropped into TTT status. Anyone else worried about this?

edited: spelling

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ligirl

New

Post by ligirl » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:02 am

hanabana wrote:Hey ligirl, when you say you "sent in other offers", did you actually show them the official letter from the other schools? I was wondering if I should do that, being that NYLS's offer is a bit strict, and I'm afraid Hofstra will do that to me after seeing it. But they probably wouldn't believe me if I just say how much I was offered without proof. And how long did they take to get back to you? I'm concerned b/c it's spring break right now, and the deposit due date is almost here... Please let me know if you don't mind, thanks so much!
Yeah I made copies and attached them to my letter asking for more :)

Bobalou

Bronze

Post by Bobalou » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:08 am

trialjunky wrote:Just got my scholly form and I got $15k. I'm not sure if that's enough to make me move to NY though.

Are any of you worried about Hofstra falling out of T2 status? I know Stetson Law (St. Pete) was in a similiar ranking and then they dropped into TTT status. Anyone else worried about this?

edited: spelling
I'm concerned about this as well. I think the new rankings will come out in the morning on the 15th, is it possible to send in the seat deposit later in the day?

ligirl

New

Post by ligirl » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:11 am

ligirl wrote:
hanabana wrote:Hey ligirl, when you say you "sent in other offers", did you actually show them the official letter from the other schools? I was wondering if I should do that, being that NYLS's offer is a bit strict, and I'm afraid Hofstra will do that to me after seeing it. But they probably wouldn't believe me if I just say how much I was offered without proof. And how long did they take to get back to you? I'm concerned b/c it's spring break right now, and the deposit due date is almost here... Please let me know if you don't mind, thanks so much!
Yeah I made copies and attached them to my letter asking for more :)
I should also probably add that my other offers were from higher ranked schools, so that might have something to do with their response.

puss'nboots

New

Post by puss'nboots » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:26 pm

Does anyone know what percentage of the incoming class,on average, is given scholarships? It appears that Hofstra is quite generous with money. Top 40% of the class doesn't seem so horrible but if 60% of attendees have scholarships and we all need to stay in the top 40, things could be rough.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bobalou

Bronze

Post by Bobalou » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:37 am

I'm heading out to Hofstra on Wednesday. Anyone know how to get there from the LIRR stop at Hempstead?

ligirl

New

Post by ligirl » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:33 pm

Bobalou wrote:I'm heading out to Hofstra on Wednesday. Anyone know how to get there from the LIRR stop at Hempstead?
make a left at the light by the station, a left on fulton, follow that all the way up and hofstra will eventually be on your right.

greg11a

New

Post by greg11a » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:41 pm

Just received Scholarship Info about a week after initial letter. With the offer being similar to St Johns, I would definitely have to go St Johns over Hofstra. So I will be withdrawing this week for those waiting for a spot.

MrSoOoFLy

Bronze

Post by MrSoOoFLy » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:10 am

eh in with 20k scholly.. i have a lot of friends that go there... but eh i doubt i'll take it..

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Bobalou

Bronze

Post by Bobalou » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:34 pm

I visited today and was happy with what I saw. Is there anyone on the thread that has decided to attend?

yoyo999

New

Post by yoyo999 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:12 pm

was accepted about a month ago- withdrew today. best of luck to all of you!

law333

New

Post by law333 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:40 am

Hi..

In deciding between Hofstra (no scholarship) and Loyola New orleans (substantial scholarship)... what would you decide?

I am interested in public interest law and would eventually like to practice in Miami.
Thanks!

Bobalou

Bronze

Post by Bobalou » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:52 am

law333 wrote:Hi..

In deciding between Hofstra (no scholarship) and Loyola New orleans (substantial scholarship)... what would you decide?

I am interested in public interest law and would eventually like to practice in Miami.
Thanks!
Well Hofstra has a pretty high price tag that may be hard to pay off with a public interest job. Have you looked into their public interest programs to see if they offer any sort of loan forgiveness? I'm not sure if hey do it, but I've heard of a few schools that do that.
Also, if you go to Hofstra, the bar licenses you to practice in Florida. Have you checked to see if LNO is the same?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”