Waiting for LSAT svs. waiting for decisions: which is worse?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
ClemCarter
Posts: 248
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:09 am

Re: Waiting for LSAT svs. waiting for decisions: which is worse?

Postby ClemCarter » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:22 pm

kittenmittons wrote:
Only if we can roleplay Aragorn and Arwen after. I'll bring my sword, if you catch my drift...



Last time it took me four days to finally unstick the prosthetics that made my ears pointy and I had to withstand endless mockery from my coworkers.

Can we do Tom Bombadil and Goldberry instead?

PS: still nerds.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Waiting for LSAT svs. waiting for decisions: which is worse?

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:22 pm

Remember the day or two that LSAT scores might have arrived and how anxious you were? Now imagine 6+ months of that and you've got an idea of what waiting for decisions is like.

User avatar
kittenmittons
Posts: 1453
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:24 pm

Re: Waiting for LSAT svs. waiting for decisions: which is worse?

Postby kittenmittons » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:24 pm

ClemCarter wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:
Only if we can roleplay Aragorn and Arwen after. I'll bring my sword, if you catch my drift...



Last time it took me four days to finally unstick the prosthetics that made my ears pointy and I had to withstand endless mockery from my coworkers.

Can we do Tom Bombadil and Goldberry instead?

PS: still nerds.


Done and done. Tom is the best character in the Tolkien universe

User avatar
NancyBotwin
Posts: 1085
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:43 pm

Re: Waiting for LSAT svs. waiting for decisions: which is worse?

Postby NancyBotwin » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:24 pm

Helmholtz wrote:Remember the day or two that LSAT scores might have arrived and how anxious you were? Now imagine 6+ months of that and you've got an idea of what waiting for decisions is like.


This.

I think someone needs to do a study of how many 0Ls become alcoholics while waiting on decisions. :|

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Waiting for LSAT svs. waiting for decisions: which is worse?

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:24 pm

kittenmittons wrote:
ClemCarter wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:
Only if we can roleplay Aragorn and Arwen after. I'll bring my sword, if you catch my drift...



Last time it took me four days to finally unstick the prosthetics that made my ears pointy and I had to withstand endless mockery from my coworkers.

Can we do Tom Bombadil and Goldberry instead?

PS: still nerds.


Done and done. Tom is the best character in the Tolkien universe


I have no idea what you guys are talking about. Does that make me cool?

User avatar
ClemCarter
Posts: 248
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:09 am

Re: Waiting for LSAT svs. waiting for decisions: which is worse?

Postby ClemCarter » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:26 pm

Helmholtz wrote:

I have no idea what you guys are talking about. Does that make me cool?



Unfortch, you are still in here wringing your hands with everybody else. Ergo, nerd.

ViP
Posts: 419
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:53 pm

Re: Waiting for LSAT svs. waiting for decisions: which is worse?

Postby ViP » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:30 pm

Upon receiving your LSAT score, you suddenly have a rough idea of where you stand for each school you're applying to (in the ballpark, no chance, great chance, whatever).

But what determines exactly where you stand?

Oh yeah... There was that one test...

EDIT: Plus, I just want to say that obviously, as evidenced by this thread, there is no right or wrong answer to this question... Clearly a personal thing...

Split5
Posts: 168
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:49 am

Re: Waiting for LSAT svs. waiting for decisions: which is worse?

Postby Split5 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:34 pm

This is like being asked if it's worse to be shot with a water gun or an AK47.

xcountryjunkie
Posts: 437
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:52 pm

Re: Waiting for LSAT svs. waiting for decisions: which is worse?

Postby xcountryjunkie » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:35 pm

Waiting on decisions is definitely worse. With the LSAT, I was in control. If I wanted to do well, I had all the right answers in front of me, so I just had to fill in the correct bubble 101 times. With decisions, even with a good GPA and LSAT, it is completely beyond my control. I'm sure that I'll get rejected at places that some of my number twins will get accepted at.

Basically, I knew I did alright on the LSAT, but with decisions (even aided by LSN and LSP), I just have no idea how it will turn out. Although, part of the problem could be that I didn't apply to any safeties...

beamsmehome
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:36 pm

Re: Waiting for LSAT svs. waiting for decisions: which is worse?

Postby beamsmehome » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:46 pm

.
Last edited by beamsmehome on Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JOThompson
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:16 am

Re: Waiting for LSAT svs. waiting for decisions: which is worse?

Postby JOThompson » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:48 pm

Decisions. Unless you get into your ED choice, the application cycle is a much longer process.

User avatar
Nicholasnickynic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Waiting for LSAT svs. waiting for decisions: which is worse?

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:50 pm

Kakarot wrote:Decisions are much worse. With the LSAT you could tell family and friends when you will get your score then it is done, with acceptances they just ask and ask and ask and it is never done.

So you tell them you got into a school, they say great and ask about the others. Then your mind rehashes the others and what you could have done wrong. It is a never ending depressing cycle. Then family and friends pick up on the self-doubt and try to make you feel better when you were never really sad. Then you get into schools in the T14 that you don't want to go to. Then family is like yey you can go there. Responding with, I don't want to go there. Then family and friends, why did you apply?

It is a horrible horrible cycle.


OMG! you poor thing! You must be so full of anxiety knowing that although you got into multiple T14, you're not yet into the ones you want to go to.

Be a brave chap and soldier on, I'm sure you'll make it through somehow.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Waiting for LSAT svs. waiting for decisions: which is worse?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:57 pm

You can't get waitlisted on your LSAT.

User avatar
kittenmittons
Posts: 1453
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:24 pm

Re: Waiting for LSAT svs. waiting for decisions: which is worse?

Postby kittenmittons » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:58 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
Kakarot wrote:Decisions are much worse. With the LSAT you could tell family and friends when you will get your score then it is done, with acceptances they just ask and ask and ask and it is never done.

So you tell them you got into a school, they say great and ask about the others. Then your mind rehashes the others and what you could have done wrong. It is a never ending depressing cycle. Then family and friends pick up on the self-doubt and try to make you feel better when you were never really sad. Then you get into schools in the T14 that you don't want to go to. Then family is like yey you can go there. Responding with, I don't want to go there. Then family and friends, why did you apply?

It is a horrible horrible cycle.


OMG! you poor thing! You must be so full of anxiety knowing that although you got into multiple T14, you're not yet into the ones you want to go to.

Be a brave chap and soldier on, I'm sure you'll make it through somehow.


Sarcastic kitteh iz sarcastic

User avatar
roxj
Posts: 146
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:09 am

Re: Waiting for LSAT svs. waiting for decisions: which is worse?

Postby roxj » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:05 pm

Helmholtz wrote:Remember the day or two that LSAT scores might have arrived and how anxious you were? Now imagine 6+ months of that and you've got an idea of what waiting for decisions is like.


I agree with this. Although I was completely impatient to get my score from the minute finished the test. My point is, the anxiety feels roughly similar to me, but it was three weeks of anxiety as opposed to months and months of it.

Acedeuce
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:09 pm

Re: Waiting for LSAT svs. waiting for decisions: which is worse?

Postby Acedeuce » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:07 pm

For me, LSAT. It was more of a buildup cause you know exactly(roughly) when it will happen so there was that extra tension of waiting for that day. With decisions it hasn't been bad because I just told myself ok, apps are done, I'll hear back in January. Hearing back quickly has probably skewed my answer, but I'm still not worried about it because I KNOW I'll get in to some great schools, whereas the LSAT, you just never know what'll happen.

User avatar
oberlin08
Posts: 426
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:37 pm

Re: Waiting for LSAT svs. waiting for decisions: which is worse?

Postby oberlin08 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:11 pm

DECISIONS.

They dont have to get back to you on a timely basis, at least with the LSAT they can only wait so long to tell you your score.

Kong456
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:09 pm

Re: Waiting for LSAT svs. waiting for decisions: which is worse?

Postby Kong456 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:14 pm

For me, waiting for the LSAT was much worse. That may have something to do with the fact that I got my first acceptance withing three days of submitting. :)

acdisagod
Posts: 431
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:46 pm

Re: Waiting for LSAT svs. waiting for decisions: which is worse?

Postby acdisagod » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:50 pm

Maybe decisions are less nerveracking for me because I scored much better ont he LSAT than my PT average. I dind't think I would stand a chance at schools like NYU and UVA so the fact that they might reject me now isn't too bad.

lemonpie
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:36 am

Re: Waiting for LSAT svs. waiting for decisions: which is worse?

Postby lemonpie » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:43 pm

Kong456 wrote:For me, waiting for the LSAT was much worse. That may have something to do with the fact that I got my first acceptance withing three days of submitting. :)



Seriously? Which school was it?

User avatar
bceagles182
Posts: 615
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:53 pm

Re: Waiting for LSAT svs. waiting for decisions: which is worse?

Postby bceagles182 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:27 pm

If you prepped extensively for the LSAT then decisions are significantly worse. I knew my LSAT within 3 points due to the fact that I literally scored within a 3 point range every time I took a PT for the month leading up the exam. I could see if you are a nervous test taker who chokes under pressure how it could be worse for the LSAT but that is about it.

User avatar
NancyBotwin
Posts: 1085
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:43 pm

Re: Waiting for LSAT svs. waiting for decisions: which is worse?

Postby NancyBotwin » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:07 pm

Decisions, by far. At least with the LSAT, if you ended up doing poorly, it was just the one thing of bad news, and you can always retake. But each and every rejection and wait list I get... well, my self esteem has never been lower.

User avatar
MF248
Posts: 229
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:25 am

Re: Waiting for LSAT svs. waiting for decisions: which is worse?

Postby MF248 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:09 pm

Decisions: I knew I was good at the LSAT but I don't know if I'm good at applying to law school. Also, there was a firm date for when I'd hear back about my LSAT.

User avatar
JusticeHarlan
Posts: 1434
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: Waiting for LSAT svs. waiting for decisions: which is worse?

Postby JusticeHarlan » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:12 pm

LSAT waiting involved circling a date on the calender and just sitting back until then.

Decisions involve routinely checking status checkers and surfering through TLS to see if anyone else has heard anything, and if so asking when they applied and went complete, and what their numbers were, and then freaking out that you haven't heard anything, then going back to check those status checkers . . .

It says something about this phase of the process if it makes LSAT waiting seem good by comparison.

User avatar
neimanmarxist
Posts: 418
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:41 am

Re: Waiting for LSAT svs. waiting for decisions: which is worse?

Postby neimanmarxist » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:17 pm

boo_pragmatism wrote:3 weeks ago I would have said LSAT score. Now, not so much.


+1




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ad34964n, Baby Gaga, christinaxcarrie, genjustice, Google Adsense [Bot], Guyver, hoping4scholy, JaxBeachLaw, joezze, Keilz, lillawyer2, lvlaw3, NorthDragon, patrickkpaul, Pomegranate27, thg1870, tinafeyclone and 39 guests