Waiting for LSAT svs. waiting for decisions: which is worse? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
acdisagod

Bronze

Waiting for LSAT svs. waiting for decisions: which is worse?

Post by acdisagod » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:06 pm

For me, it was waiting for my LSAT score. A few points on that test meant the difference between making top 14 or not even making top 30.

The waiting for my decisions suck but I know I'll get in somewhere that I like even if it isn't my first or second or even third choice.
Last edited by acdisagod on Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Veritas

Gold

Re: Waiting for LSAT svs. waiting for decisions: which is worse?

Post by Veritas » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:06 pm

decisions is worse and anyone who says otherwise is either lying or yet to experience it.

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:08 pm

Veritas wrote:decisions is worse and anyone who says otherwise is either lying or yet to experience it.
+1

Let's employ an analogy:

LSAT score is getting kicked in the balls once. Decisions are getting kicked in the balls constantly.
Last edited by kittenmittons on Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

puppleberry finn

Silver

Post by puppleberry finn » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:08 pm

Decision is much worse. You can predict how you did based on your actual performance, and your LSAT score is completely dependent on your abilities and how well you answered questions. who knows WTF admissions people are deciding on or when or what factors overcome this or that or WHY DID I NOT GET A CALL YESTERDAY THE END IS NIGH

acdisagod

Bronze

Post by acdisagod » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:09 pm

I don't think I'm lying, unless I'm lying to myself...
On the day of the LSAT I sat by a computer hitting refresh constantly. I'm 90% sure I get my NYU early decision today and I' nervous but not nerotic.

The thing is though, once you get your numbers, you know roughly where you will get in. Without your LSAT, you don't know if your goin to top 14 or low tier one.
Last edited by acdisagod on Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Neelio

Silver

Post by Neelio » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:09 pm

Decisions.

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:09 pm

pessimism thread 2.0

Amelie

Silver

Post by Amelie » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:09 pm

Veritas wrote:decisions is worse and anyone who says otherwise is either lying or yet to experience it.
For me waiting for the LSAT was much worse. I think it depends on your personal situation. I blew my first LSAT, and so when when I was waiting for my 2nd score I was a nervous wreck. Now, waiting for school decisions I'm anxious, but after I got my better LSAT score back I knew I should be getting into at least one good school.

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:11 pm

/thread

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

acdisagod

Bronze

Post by acdisagod » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:11 pm

The only other thing is, since I don't know when myd ecisions are coming, I worry less about them. For the LSAT there was a countdown in my head for the whole week leading up to getting the score.

puppleberry finn

Silver

Post by puppleberry finn » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:11 pm

maggiebre wrote:
For me waiting for the LSAT was much worse. I think it depends on your personal situation. I blew my first LSAT, and so when when I was waiting for my 2nd score I was a nervous wreck. Now, waiting for school decisions I'm anxious, but after I got my better LSAT score back I knew I should be getting into at least one good school.
liar! burn the witch

ViP

Bronze

Post by ViP » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:12 pm

LSAT was way, way worse for me. And I've only heard back from 4 of my 15 schools, so far.

The only way I can see the wait for schools being worse is if you really ONLY like 1 or 2 schools, or there's a specific school that you'd really die to attend and you're a borderline candidate.
Last edited by ViP on Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:12 pm

maggiebre wrote:
I blew my first and second LSAT. I went through last cycle. I withdrew from all my schools last cycle to take the LSAT for the last time. Waiting for decisions now is way worse than waiting for my third LSAT score.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

puppleberry finn

Silver

Post by puppleberry finn » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:13 pm

ViP wrote:LSAT was way, way worse for me. And I've only heard back from 4 of my 15 schools, so far.

The only way I can see the wait for schools being worse is if you really ONLY like 1 or 2 schools, or there's a specific school that you'd really die to attend and you're a borderline candidate.
T14 or bust people don't have a top of reasons to be like, OMG DECISIONS if they have the numbers. They will get into the T14, and it's just a matter of which. But if you have very very strong preferences for one or two schools, yeah. it's painful.
Last edited by puppleberry finn on Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:14 pm

depends on the applicant.

for splitters, waiting for decision is worse (too many variables). a 175/3.3 or something will be anxious for quite a while.

for high gpa applicants, LSAT is worse. lots of anxiety tied into wondering if you "wasted" your high GPA with a lesser LSAT score...4 years of work down the drain :shock:

summerschooled

Bronze

Post by summerschooled » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:14 pm

acdisagod wrote:The only other thing is, since I don't know when myd ecisions are coming, I worry less about them. For the LSAT there was a countdown in my head for the whole week leading up to getting the score.
I feel the opposite way. It was so much better to know we'd all get our LSAT scores the same day. Now, all I can do is hear about everyone's acceptances and stare helplessly at my mail/e-mail/phone.

Aeon

Silver

Post by Aeon » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:15 pm

For me, personally, waiting for my LSAT decision was more stressful than waiting for decisions from schools. Don't get me wrong, I was anxious in both cases, but in the case of the LSAT, this anxiety was compressed into a shorter period of time. Plus, the LSAT is one of the most important aspects of my application, so knowing that the score I'd receive would strongly influence where I'd apply made me doubly apprehensive. The wait for decisions was quite a bit of a longer process, so the anxiety was not as prominent.

These are just my experiences, though, I'm sure it's different for different people.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ClemCarter

Bronze

Post by ClemCarter » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:15 pm

NERDS!!!

GobiasIndustries

Bronze

Post by GobiasIndustries » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:15 pm

maggiebre wrote:
This is full of true - my situation is the same. Plus, with the LSAT, you KNOW when you're getting your score (to the day), and it made the weeks leading up to it unbearable, since there was nothing in between. With decisions, you have a bunch of them, and some of them come out of the blue with no warning, which alleviates some stress (in a weird way). Example: I applied EA to BC, and they're mailing the decisions out today (guaranteed date). I've stressed over that decision in the past few weeks way more than any other school so far.

But decisions are causing me a different breed of stress because I'm a URM with average numbers but high aspirations/expectations. Bleh.

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:15 pm

ClemCarter wrote:NERDS!!!
Hi pot. I'm kettle

acdisagod

Bronze

Post by acdisagod » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:16 pm

Exactly, now that I did well enough ont he LSAt, I know I'll get in somewhere decent. If I don't get NYU I'll get Georgetown, if I don't get Georgetown I'll get Fordham or BU.LSAT failon the otherhand=major problems.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ClemCarter

Bronze

Post by ClemCarter » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:17 pm

kittenmittons wrote:
Hi pot. I'm kettle

Hey, uh, you want to read Tolkien out loud to each other later?

Amelie

Silver

Post by Amelie » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:19 pm

GobiasIndustries wrote:
maggiebre wrote:
This is full of true - my situation is the same. Plus, with the LSAT, you KNOW when you're getting your score (to the day), and it made the weeks leading up to it unbearable, since there was nothing in between. With decisions, you have a bunch of them, and some of them come out of the blue with no warning, which alleviates some stress (in a weird way). Example: I applied EA to BC, and they're mailing the decisions out today (guaranteed date). I've stressed over that decision in the past few weeks way more than any other school so far.

But decisions are causing me a different breed of stress because I'm a URM with average numbers but high aspirations/expectations. Bleh.
Yea, I'm in no way claiming decisions aren't stressful for me... I'm definitely a neurotic mess. But with the LSAT I was not okay - I had a recurring nightmare about getting a 157, and even convinced myself that I must have screwed up the LG section because I had such an easy time with it.

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:20 pm

ClemCarter wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:
Hi pot. I'm kettle

Hey, uh, you want to read Tolkien out loud to each other later?
Only if we can roleplay Aragorn and Arwen after. I'll bring my sword, if you catch my drift...

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:21 pm

Decisions are much worse. With the LSAT you could tell family and friends when you will get your score then it is done, with acceptances they just ask and ask and ask and it is never done.

So you tell them you got into a school, they say great and ask about the others. Then your mind rehashes the others and what you could have done wrong. It is a never ending depressing cycle. Then family and friends pick up on the self-doubt and try to make you feel better when you were never really sad. Then you get into schools in the T14 that you don't want to go to. Then family is like yey you can go there. Responding with, I don't want to go there. Then family and friends, why did you apply?

It is a horrible horrible cycle.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”