John Marshall Chicago 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bananasinpajamas

John Marshall Chicago 2013

Postby bananasinpajamas » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:02 am

What up JMLS Class of 2013!!?

Got in 12/03 with 20k per year with top 20%. Kind of cut throat though. Anyone else thinking about JMLS?

gocubs2010

Re: John Marshall Chicago 2013

Postby gocubs2010 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:08 pm

bananasinpajamas wrote:What up JMLS Class of 2013!!?

Got in 12/03 with 20k per year with top 20%. Kind of cut throat though. Anyone else thinking about JMLS?

yes if I get in. I applied to all the schools in chicago that i had a chance to get accepted (all but northwestern and university of chicago) and as of yet I've heard nothing from anywhere. merry christmas! or really bad one if i get dinged.

merco

Postby merco » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:24 pm

How long did it take you guys to get an acceptance letter after you submitted your application?

confused2013

Postby confused2013 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:27 am

bananasinpajamas wrote:What up JMLS Class of 2013!!?

Hi, considering JMLS. I was accepted with a full tuition offer at top 33% of the class. I went on a visit day in January (I'm from the Chicago area) and am not sure about the school. I have five full ride offers and a few other miscellaneous offers. I have been accepted to Iowa and have narrowed my search to about five schools. What other schools are you considering?

PlugInBaby

Postby PlugInBaby » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:59 am

John Marshall should only be attended as a last resort....it is THE TTT of Chicago. Try to improve your LSAT and shoot for places like Kent, Loyola, or DePaul if you have to.

confused2013

Postby confused2013 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:11 am

PlugInBaby wrote:John Marshall should only be attended as a last resort....it is THE TTT of Chicago. Try to improve your LSAT and shoot for places like Kent, Loyola, or DePaul if you have to.

I was accepted at all those schools, but don't necessarily want to pay for law school (T90) when I've been accepted to higher ranked schools like Iowa (#26) and Case Western Reserve (#55) (receiving money to Case and waiting to hear from Iowa). Do you think it'd be more beneficial to go to a higher ranked law school out of area then go to Kent, Loyola, or DePaul which aren't seen as good? And my LSAT and GPA are high enough to get me accepted, I don't think that is a problem whatsoever.

PlugInBaby

Postby PlugInBaby » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:20 am

confused2013 wrote:
PlugInBaby wrote:John Marshall should only be attended as a last resort....it is THE TTT of Chicago. Try to improve your LSAT and shoot for places like Kent, Loyola, or DePaul if you have to.

I was accepted at all those schools, but don't necessarily want to pay for law school (T90) when I've been accepted to higher ranked schools like Iowa (#26) and Case Western Reserve (#55) (receiving money to Case and waiting to hear from Iowa). Do you think it'd be more beneficial to go to a higher ranked law school out of area then go to Kent, Loyola, or DePaul which aren't seen as good? And my LSAT and GPA are high enough to get me accepted, I don't think that is a problem whatsoever.

Well the John Marshall quote was more directed toward everyone considering it, but in your case if you want to practice in Chicago, I would imagine a quality top 30 school like Iowa (in the Big 10) would be a great place. Do your own research and ask questions to people far more knowledgable than I am about these things.

Ultimately it comes down to priorities in what you look for in a school. Personally for me its a matter of location of the school as well as the job prospects in where I would like to practice: I love the city in general and applied to places in the city in which I wouldn't mind living in. Seattle is my top choice (applied to U-Dub and SU), followed by Chicago (Kent, Loyola, DePaul), and St. Louis (SLU, didn't apply to WUSTL because I probably would have taken any of the Seattle or Chicago schools over it).

atparks

Postby atparks » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:17 pm

Go to the absolute best school possible. And if you miss it on your 1L, then bust your butt and transfer up for your 2nd year. It's very true about law school that its more important how you finish than how you start, but you also don't want to bury yourself from the start.

Good Luck!

tracywangchen

Postby tracywangchen » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:47 pm

I submitted my applications in late Jan, stil havent heard anything from the school yet. is the time to get a result ????

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:49 pm

atparks wrote:Go to the absolute best school possible. And if you miss it on your 1L, then bust your butt and transfer up for your 2nd year. It's very true about law school that its more important how you finish than how you start, but you also don't want to bury yourself from the start.

Good Luck!

Really? I have always heard the exact opposite (1L grades are everything). I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I'm just curious what you're basing that off of.

barrel_bra

Postby barrel_bra » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:53 am

I never said 1L grades weren't important. I said go to the best school possible, and if you believe that you can achieve higher than finish in the top 5% of your class and transfer to a better school. To do this means that 1L grades are important, you can't transfer without them.

Why would this not make sense?

redvelvetccake

Postby redvelvetccake » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:55 am

Quick question, I didn't apply here but my friend had her decision letter sent the day right after she left for Spring Break and wants to know what kind of envelope she should be looking for when she gets back.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”