University of San Francisco

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Great Satchmo

Re: University of San Francisco

Postby Great Satchmo » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:12 pm

Norwood wrote:
oberlin08 wrote:
Norwood wrote:Is anyone participating in the Summer Bridge Program/Academic Support Program? Just wondering if anyone has any information on this since their website and information packet didn't really explain much besides that a $3,500 - $8,500 grant will be provided. Any idea about the hours or involvment that's required?

Would like to know about this more too

I just spoke to the Co-Director of ASP this morning and the experience was awesome. She was very nice and welcoming as she explained the advantages of the program.

Some brief information:
-The Summer Bridge Program goes from 9am to 3pm 5 days a week for 3 weeks in July
-Half the day is dedicated to mini courses which are held exactly like real classes. The other half is law school preparation stuff such as note taking, outlining, how to study for exams, etc.
-A grant is provided at the conclusion of the program and an opportunity to apply for add'l grants are offered during the program
-Typically 30-40 students are invited by the Director to participate in ASP
-ASP continues throughout the year with tutorial hours with an assigned 2L and course specific prep sessions are held weekly
-Students are allowed to dedicate as much or as little time as they want

I got a very positive vibe from meeting with the Director and a 1L currently in the ASP. The 1L said the course prep sessions were extremely helpful since it will give you a heads up on what to expect on the exams and how to study for them. She also said it made forming study groups and networks so much easier. What I found really appealing was how they both promoted the program as a "family" sort of environment where they watch out for each other. After learning more about ASP it certainly has made me feel a lot more comfortable as an incoming 1L knowing I will be offered this sort of support.

Does this mean you have to be able to finance your living expenses through the summer portion of the program and then you get a chance to recoup some of the money at the end?

momo_08

Postby momo_08 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:31 pm

I just got my letter through snail mail this last week. W/L...Still not sure if i would go even if i was accepted though..Will probably withdraw soon.. It's only real appeal to me is the fact that it's in california and even then it's not that huge considering i'm from socal...Good Luck to everyone!

Norwood

Postby Norwood » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:56 pm

Great Satchmo wrote:
Does this mean you have to be able to finance your living expenses through the summer portion of the program and then you get a chance to recoup some of the money at the end?

if you are coming from outside of the Bay Area then you will be provided Room and Board at their dorms for the length of the summer program in addition to the grant. If you're coming from the Bay Area then yes, you'll continue financing your own living or commute to SF and then getting $3,500 at the end. Seems pretty unfair for those already in SF, but oh well, the entire program is free.

rockababy123

Postby rockababy123 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:50 pm

Has anyone received their financial aid package yet? I was just accepted last week and am trying to decide where to put my seat deposit down.

oberlin08

Postby oberlin08 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:54 pm

I did but I was accepted quite some time ago.

Temka

Postby Temka » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:37 pm

How many of you guys are riding out the waitlist like me?

RedSoxFan

Postby RedSoxFan » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:04 pm

Decision has been rendered 4/8... :shock: Please let the email come....

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:16 pm

RedSoxFan wrote:Decision has been rendered 4/8... :shock: Please let the email come....

I didn't receive mine until a day or two later after I got DR.

Good luck!

RedSoxFan

Postby RedSoxFan » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:26 pm

So decision rendered was sent 4/8.... If I was admitted, how long would it take to get the "email”? Or do they even send out an email? I have heard different answers from numerous people?

cwkenneth

Postby cwkenneth » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:28 pm

RedSoxFan wrote:So decision rendered was sent 4/8.... If I was admitted, how long would it take to get the "email”? Or do they even send out an email? I have heard different answers from numerous people?

You should receive an email that day. At least this is what is was for me and many others. Good luck though!

RedSoxFan

Postby RedSoxFan » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:33 pm

Thanks... I have just seen people get DR on Friday and get emails on Monday or the day or two afterwards.

RedSoxFan

Postby RedSoxFan » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:24 pm

I apologize for so many posts but another question. If I received DR late Thursday afternoon and haven’t received an email yet, should I just expect a WL or Rejection?

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:58 pm

First round waitlist Tuesday the14th. Nervous?

frecklesmclean0002

Postby frecklesmclean0002 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:18 pm

well one more space for you WL prisoners. Good luck!! American U here I come!

cwkenneth

Postby cwkenneth » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:06 pm

RedSoxFan wrote:I apologize for so many posts but another question. If I received DR late Thursday afternoon and haven’t received an email yet, should I just expect a WL or Rejection?

Not positive, but it would be smart to at least prepare for that. Good luck though.

Temka

Postby Temka » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:13 pm

jarofsoup wrote:First round waitlist Tuesday the14th. Nervous?

Why do you assume this? From what I understand, their first deposit is the 15th, then they see how much space they have, and then they decide to use the WL or not

RickyMack

Postby RickyMack » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:18 am

Temka wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:First round waitlist Tuesday the14th. Nervous?

Why do you assume this? From what I understand, their first deposit is the 15th, then they see how much space they have, and then they decide to use the WL or not

man at least send me a rejection email before they start pulling off the waitlist.

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:09 am

there are still a ton of applicants still in review, they probably won't start touching the wait list till the 2nd deposit due date

aka there are people who make the first deposit at a place like san fran while they still wait for their top choices (UC Davis or something) to either make a decision on them, or wait and see if they get pulled off of another school's wait list or not

I wouldn't expect wait list movement until late May/June

Temka

Postby Temka » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:08 am

uwb09 wrote:there are still a ton of applicants still in review, they probably won't start touching the wait list till the 2nd deposit due date

aka there are people who make the first deposit at a place like san fran while they still wait for their top choices (UC Davis or something) to either make a decision on them, or wait and see if they get pulled off of another school's wait list or not

I wouldn't expect wait list movement until late May/June

you may be right, but there is supposed to be more than one wave of WL acceptances. There might be one in the next couple of week, and one there may be one after the second deposit

Norwood

Postby Norwood » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:24 pm

Just placed my deposit at USF!

Temka

Postby Temka » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:42 pm

1st seat deposit is due today. If LSN is any indication, not an overwhelming amount of people have settle on USF. Hopefully they will pull people off the WL, and hopefully soon! Maybe?
Trying to think positive here :D

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:44 pm

I'm letting the deposit deadline pass without a deposit.

So that's one more spot with some cash.

Good luck to all waiting, wish I could have joined ya!

mystiklegendz

Postby mystiklegendz » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:38 pm

Not depositing either. Tempting though, good luck to you all.

oberlin08

Postby oberlin08 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:51 pm

I withdrew - Going with Seattle, or one of my WL's if I get in. I loved USF though :-(

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:56 pm

oberlin08 wrote:I withdrew - Going with Seattle, or one of my WL's if I get in. I loved USF though :-(

I loved USF too...they should wouldn't budge on funding when other similarly ranked schools were happy to talk to me about getting me to enroll.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”