University of San Francisco

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Mr.Feeny

Re: University of San Francisco

Postby Mr.Feeny » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:16 pm

i got the acceptance email as well today and i went complete in late october....20-something

azb

Postby azb » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:28 pm

mjapplying wrote:My application complete date changed to today but no status change

Mine too

anothernancydrew

Postby anothernancydrew » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:45 pm

Complete 11/03, Decision Rendered 12/14.

I'm not sure I'm an auto-admit exactly, LSP put me at a 'strong consider.'

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:53 am

accepted via email before snail mail arrived.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:59 am

usuaggie wrote:accepted via email before snail mail arrived.

Congrats! When did you go complete?

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:14 am

JOThompson wrote:
usuaggie wrote:accepted via email before snail mail arrived.

Congrats! When did you go complete?

I went complete on 12.08
Letter mailed on 12.14

mjapplying

Postby mjapplying » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:39 pm

has anyones status changed today

Mr.Feeny

Postby Mr.Feeny » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:44 pm

got my letter.....$27,000 scholarship/year (contingent on 3.2 gpa though, which is a drag)

cbliang

Postby cbliang » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:02 pm

Mr.Feeny wrote:got my letter.....$27,000 scholarship/year (contingent on 3.2 gpa though, which is a drag)

Wow. Do you mind sharing your numbers? :)

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:28 pm

Mr.Feeny wrote:got my letter.....$27,000 scholarship/year (contingent on 3.2 gpa though, which is a drag)

Do they say their curve? Wikipedia says 2.731-2.995 and post from Ken in 2006 says "C average." They have a vague distribution on their site:
http://www.law.usfca.edu/academics/documents/academicpolicies.pdf
second PDF, page 11

A 3.2 average is just under a B+ average (3.3). They say that 55% to 70% (min to max) will get B- or higher, and 10% to 20% will get A- or higher. So at least 35% and as much as 60% will get somewhere from B- to B+.

It sounds like you need to be pretty high in the class to maintain that scholarship, but I could be interpreting incorrectly.

LvingLegend

Postby LvingLegend » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:53 pm

I got my letter. 26K for the first year and non renewable.

Mr.Feeny

Postby Mr.Feeny » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:06 am

NayBoer wrote:

Do they say their curve? Wikipedia says 2.731-2.995 and post from Ken in 2006 says "C average." They have a vague distribution on their site:
http://www.law.usfca.edu/academics/documents/academicpolicies.pdf
second PDF, page 11

A 3.2 average is just under a B+ average (3.3). They say that 55% to 70% (min to max) will get B- or higher, and 10% to 20% will get A- or higher. So at least 35% and as much as 60% will get somewhere from B- to B+.

It sounds like you need to be pretty high in the class to maintain that scholarship, but I could be interpreting incorrectly.

yeah in the letter it says the 3.2 usually works out to be around top 25%

my scholarship is renewable, and to one of the people who posted above, i dont want to give out my exact numbers but LSAT is betwen 167 and 170, and gpa is between 3.6 and 3.9

Sotong

Postby Sotong » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:43 am

Got the same offer today.

S de Garmeaux

Postby S de Garmeaux » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:47 pm

Decision Rendered 12/17

went complete last week

Edit: And in via email... waiting now for mail... maybe by saturday

GoodToBeTheKing

Postby GoodToBeTheKing » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:36 pm

Happy holidays from usf! Just the email I always wanted! So they close the 22nd until the 4th. I really don't think I'll hear from them until after. Who knows...

justlove16

Postby justlove16 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:16 pm

Hey guys,
Congrats to those that have gotten in and good luck to those that are still waiting. I am a 1L who was on this site almost everyday from the time I started waiting to hear from school to the time school started. I promised myself I'd come back and answer questions for anyone who really wanted to know what its like hear from a no bs point of view. I have friends at Boalt, Hastings, and Santa Clara so I can compare my experience at USF to theirs so far. If you have any question from what classes are like, what its like to live here, or what the people are like, feel free to pm me and i'll give you my email address. For those of you that haven't heard don't give up hope on this school or any school yet, I got into my last school in June.

shanoodle

Postby shanoodle » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:36 pm

justlove16 wrote:Hey guys,
Congrats to those that have gotten in and good luck to those that are still waiting. I am a 1L who was on this site almost everyday from the time I started waiting to hear from school to the time school started. I promised myself I'd come back and answer questions for anyone who really wanted to know what its like hear from a no bs point of view. I have friends at Boalt, Hastings, and Santa Clara so I can compare my experience at USF to theirs so far. If you have any question from what classes are like, what its like to live here, or what the people are like, feel free to pm me and i'll give you my email address. For those of you that haven't heard don't give up hope on this school or any school yet, I got into my last school in June.

Thank you for offering to answer questions! I am curious to know how your overall experience has been at USF. Do you like the classes, other students, professors? Also, is it pretty easy to find a reasonably priced and decent place to live near campus? I used to live right next to USF, but it's been a few years, and I'm wondering if things have changed much. How does your experience at USF compare to your friends at other schools? I am in my late twenties and applying to law school after taking a few years off to work in the corporate world. Have you met many non-traditional students? If so, what has been their experience at USF?
Thank you in advance for your time.

adora

Postby adora » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:02 pm

Just got my official letter...I'm in, but no scholarship. I'm dissappointed and honestly, pretty bummed. USF would have been a strong contender, but I've been offered good scholarships at higher ranked schools. What gives?

Numbers: 164/3.15

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:07 am

I really wish I had a sholly offer, but with 159 3.3 I knew there was not a shot at all. I think I would go to Utah/UNLV/San Diego/McGeorge/penn state if I get in and don't get scholly offers over a full cost usf. I don't know though, I really feel good about san fran. I want to live in cali when I graduate.

anothernancydrew

Postby anothernancydrew » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:23 am

adora wrote:Just got my official letter...I'm in, but no scholarship. I'm dissappointed and honestly, pretty bummed. USF would have been a strong contender, but I've been offered good scholarships at higher ranked schools. What gives?

Same here. USF is basically the lowest-ranked school to which I applied and I too have gotten fairly generous scholarship offers from several better ranked schools. At first, I was fairly surprised, but I have heard that USF has a very limited scholarship program, so this just might be how the cookie crumbles. Unless something dramatically changes, I will likely be withdrawing shortly.

Sotong

Postby Sotong » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:26 am

justlove16 wrote:Hey guys,

Thanks for offering to answer questions. Really appreciate it.

I'm deciding between a $27k/yr offer from USF and $0 from Hastings. Any thoughts?

justlove16

Postby justlove16 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:26 pm

If the reason you're deciding between Hastings and USF is money I would definitely choose USF. The the budget in the UC system a little haywire right now, you never know what you're gonna pay at a UC, also UC's can raise your tuition every year while, because USF is a private school, tuition is fixed once you come in and is only raised for incoming freshman.
If its about the school, its more a of personal thing. I came from a big undergrad and wasn't sure I was gonna get the attention I needed at big law school. I love the small-ish class sizes and the individualized attention you can get if you take the time to get to know the staff and faculty. Also, USF has the most judges in the Bay and has a great alumni network and they want to help you find jobs.
Finally, for those that didn't get any money, its possible that you still may. After they send out the first round of letters and people who got schollys reject, they will send seperate scholarship letters if there is money available.

BruinsFan

Postby BruinsFan » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Once upon a time USF started accepting people.... and then they stopped.

I think they should start rendering decisions again!

existenz

Postby existenz » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:11 am

Got the acceptance email today! My first acceptance anywhere! Woo-hoo!

I applied Dec. 18th, fwiw.

totebags

Postby totebags » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:35 am

In via email on Friday 1/15, received acceptance letter (w/ $26k scholly) on Saturday 1/16.

Sent 12/18. Complete 1/11.

ETA: The scholly isn't enough to convince me to attend. I will withdraw in the next week or so.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”