University of San Francisco Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
longroad

New

Re: University of San Francisco

Post by longroad » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:38 pm

longroad wrote:In off the waitlist today, and very happy. I have the option of returning to my favorite city in my home state. Need to email Mr. Guerrero back tomorrow to let him know I will accept the offer and deposit. But now I am beating my head against the wall. My heart and my brain tell me to choose USF, but McGeorge is still popping into my head and yelling don't forget about me. I have read the USF vs. McGeorge thread many times. Anyone want to end this debate I am having for me?
PS: I'm 99.9% I will be at USF next year. I just don't want to have the what if in my head. I will probably withdraw from all higher ranked waitlists just so I don't go crazy midsummer.

km23

Bronze

Post by km23 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:48 pm

/
Last edited by km23 on Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

longroad

New

Post by longroad » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:56 pm

[/quote] Omg congrats!!! What are your numbers and were you full time or part time??? I am surprised they already accepted people off the WL when they said they would start reviewing us next week![/quote]

I was waitlisted with a 152/3.6ish and accepted with a 156/3.6ish after retaking in February. I am not a URM. I was accepted Full-Time. I thought I put a decent LOCI (package) together. I did this for a lot of schools that I was waitlisted at, and it surprisingly has worked for the majority of them so far (shows going the extra mile works). I was surprised too because that email did say they would not start pulling people off until next week.

jwbang

New

Post by jwbang » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:57 pm

Does anyone know if USF posts their decision on their status checker? My status says "application complete" and the last status update was made 4/28. At this point of my life, I could do without ever hearing the term "snail mail" again.

longroad

New

Post by longroad » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:04 pm

jwbang wrote:Does anyone know if USF posts their decision on their status checker? My status says "application complete" and the last status update was made 4/28. At this point of my life, I could do without ever hearing the term "snail mail" again.
I was accepted today via email. Did not check my status checker until your post. As of now, the status area is blank. My educated guess is that this late in the game, you will be notified via email.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jwbang

New

Post by jwbang » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:07 pm

I don't know how reassuring that is... I had some complications with my app that didn't get resolved until early April. With my numbers, I thought for sure I'd be good with USF, but that stupid diversity statement might have ruined everything.

Norwood

Bronze

Post by Norwood » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:48 pm

longroad wrote:In off the waitlist today, and very happy. I have the option of returning to my favorite city in my home state. Need to email Mr. Guerrero back tomorrow to let him know I will accept the offer and deposit. But now I am beating my head against the wall. My heart and my brain tell me to choose USF, but McGeorge is still popping into my head and yelling don't forget about me. I have read the USF vs. McGeorge thread many times. Anyone want to end this debate I am having for me?
Congrats Longroad! Great to see that USF is being active with their waitlist. I know what you mean when it comes to deciding between similar regional/ranked schools such as Pacific and SCU. It's really tough to say in terms of education whether one is better than the other, but If SF/Bay Area is where you see yourself after graduation then USF is your best bet vs Pacific. McGeorge is a great school and I've enjoyed my experiences visiting their campus, however I couldn't really see myself living/practicing in Sacramento. Is there a substantial difference in your cost of tuition between UOP and USF?

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:10 am

longroad wrote:
PS: I'm 99.9% I will be at USF next year. I just don't want to have the what if in my head. I will probably withdraw from all higher ranked waitlists just so I don't go crazy midsummer.

Hope this helps :D

longroad

New

Post by longroad » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:39 am

wow that's incredible. that was a huge help. i think i needed a reminder (smack in the face) of why i want to be in san fran.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:39 am

longroad wrote:wow that's incredible. that was a huge help. i think i needed a reminder (smack in the face) of why i want to be in san fran.

Glad I could help. The weirdest thing? Parking is actually not bad at Alamo Square.

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:05 am

Are all the waitlist acceptances comming this week or some next week? There is also a second deposit, so there maybe another round right?

uwb09

Silver

Post by uwb09 » Sat May 01, 2010 5:37 pm

just got my acceptance packet, no scholarship info......

as much as I was turned off by USF taking so long to get back to me, doing some extensive research on them the last few days + being in the city = me actually getting excited about possibly attending there

but with no scholarship at all.... uhm ya, do they give out need-based aid at all?

bass08

Bronze

Post by bass08 » Sat May 01, 2010 6:01 pm

I got accepted off the waitlist about 2 weeks after I was waitlisted, even though I didn't send back the reply form.

It'd be nice to stay in the bay area, but I highly doubt USF is at all worth it. They are especially stingy with money compared to their peer schools, and I'm pretty sure their placement is not good. Anyone have a link for their most recent employment statistics? I can't seem to find them on the website.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

pomfiend

New

Post by pomfiend » Sat May 01, 2010 10:29 pm

quickquestionthanks wrote:
longroad wrote:

Hope this helps :D
<3 That is incredible. I didn't realize it was so close! I adore USF and there's a good chance I'll be there this fall.

Norwood

Bronze

Post by Norwood » Sun May 02, 2010 2:50 pm

uwb09 wrote:just got my acceptance packet, no scholarship info......

as much as I was turned off by USF taking so long to get back to me, doing some extensive research on them the last few days + being in the city = me actually getting excited about possibly attending there

but with no scholarship at all.... uhm ya, do they give out need-based aid at all?
I'm receiving need based aid through the Academic Support Program. You receive a 3,500-8,500 grant for taking part.

uwb09

Silver

Post by uwb09 » Sun May 02, 2010 3:02 pm

Norwood wrote:
uwb09 wrote:just got my acceptance packet, no scholarship info......

I'm receiving need based aid through the Academic Support Program. You receive a 3,500-8,500 grant for taking part.
any online info regarding this program that you can point me to?

thanks!

Norwood

Bronze

Post by Norwood » Sun May 02, 2010 3:24 pm

I got the detailed information about the ASP in my acceptance package. There isn't much info provided on their website.

The directors of the program are Carol Wilson and Richard Sakai, you could try contacting them for more information about the program. They both were very welcoming when I dropped by to ask questions. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the ASP.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Sun May 02, 2010 7:00 pm

pomfiend wrote:
<3 That is incredible. I didn't realize it was so close! I adore USF and there's a good chance I'll be there this fall.
In case anyone is afraid to ask...yes, that is the Full House park. The actual Full House house is in Pacific Heights though. My friend had me take a picture of her standing outside of it, and as we were taking the photo, the residents came home and parked in their garage :oops:

jasontaylor9944

New

Post by jasontaylor9944 » Mon May 03, 2010 8:52 pm

longroad wrote:
In off the waitlist today, and very happy. I have the option of returning to my favorite city in my home state. Need to email Mr. Guerrero back tomorrow to let him know I will accept the offer and deposit. But now I am beating my head against the wall. My heart and my brain tell me to choose USF, but McGeorge is still popping into my head and yelling don't forget about me. I have read the USF vs. McGeorge thread many times. Anyone want to end this debate I am having for me?

This is really funny to read because literally last weekend the same thing happened to me, I had to make a 72 hour decision of McGeorge vs. USF. I went to law day at McG the previous weekend, and I liked it. Ultimately I'm going with USF because I live in Marin and won't have to pay for housing. If all things were equal though, I would have probably still picked USF but it would have been a much more difficult decision. See ya in 3 months, feel free to PM me anyone who is attending USF in August. 3.6/156

misled_drummer

New

Post by misled_drummer » Mon May 03, 2010 11:20 pm

I'm on the waitlist and still waiting. The wait has been made even more difficult by my acceptance into Southwestern and their early deposit deadline (May 11th).

vacations

Bronze

Post by vacations » Tue May 04, 2010 11:54 am

Hello,

just curious..any other folks out there recently get off the WL? are you for sure attending this fall?

there looks to be a few ppl on LSN who got accepted off WL but are withdrawing..that must hit the school's yield...

thanks all

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ellebee

New

Post by ellebee » Thu May 06, 2010 2:42 pm

bass08 wrote:I got accepted off the waitlist about 2 weeks after I was waitlisted, even though I didn't send back the reply form.

It'd be nice to stay in the bay area, but I highly doubt USF is at all worth it. They are especially stingy with money compared to their peer schools, and I'm pretty sure their placement is not good. Anyone have a link for their most recent employment statistics? I can't seem to find them on the website.
Bump on this question. Does anyone have a link to the recent employment stats? I'm more concerned about the percentage their graduating class that found legal jobs. The only stats on their website refers to the reporting alumni, and that's only 50%.

Norwood

Bronze

Post by Norwood » Thu May 06, 2010 3:55 pm

You could try relying on the published ABA data found on LSAC.

http://officialguide.lsac.org/SearchRes ... BA4850.pdf

This is for 9 months after graduation with supposedly 97% reporting. As with most employment data coming from schools, it's going to be pretty sketchy. All employment data is voluntary, so until they require data on employment from each student there won't be data from any school that accurately represents your employment prospects.

here's another link for the class of 2007 for kicks.

http://www.schoolaah.com/law/University ... ncisco.htm

edit: or you could get in touch with their career services center

longroad

New

Post by longroad » Thu May 06, 2010 4:24 pm

i have the employment stats from the grad classes of 08 and 09. i emailed the career services and got them. i don't want to backdoor them (the school) and post them on this forum, but they were very nice when i asked for them and sent them to me right away. if you really want them, just ask nicely. 08 looked a lot better than 09, but the small amount of people reporting salary always scares me and the fact that i think you can classify some BS doc review job as a legal job (i.e. the ambiguity of these spreadsheets). It seems when the economy is good, USF places better (duh). i think most schools are struggling right now with placement, outside of the 20 or so top schools. we picked a rough time to get into this profession i think. but as someone told me who is a current student at USF, this is going to be a long term investment. and i personally think it will pay off.

ellebee

New

Post by ellebee » Thu May 06, 2010 4:50 pm

Ah, thanks longroad and norwood. i will give the career center a call.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”