Brooklyn 09/10 cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Rebecca2013

Re: Brooklyn 09/10 cycle

Postby Rebecca2013 » Tue May 11, 2010 4:22 pm

Has anyone heard from them in the past few days? The lady on the phone is so rude. For the past month each time I have called she says my file is with the admissions committee.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue May 11, 2010 4:55 pm

blanehabe wrote:Has anyone gotten in off the WL yet?

I was WL -> Admit several months ago.

knickfan

Postby knickfan » Tue May 11, 2010 6:32 pm

Rebecca2013 wrote:Has anyone heard from them in the past few days? The lady on the phone is so rude. For the past month each time I have called she says my file is with the admissions committee.

lol i think we have about 2 pages worth of hate for her..don't worry, your not alone

cityglamorous

Postby cityglamorous » Wed May 12, 2010 3:12 am

Applied to Brooklyn Law. 154/3.56/URM what are my chances of acceptance?

sibley

Postby sibley » Wed May 12, 2010 8:12 am

Does anyone have Brooklyn's hiring stats?

Steve Zissou

Postby Steve Zissou » Wed May 12, 2010 10:57 am

sibley wrote:Does anyone have Brooklyn's hiring stats?

Get really good grades and...
Law School Reports Over 20% of Class of 2009 Hired by the Nation's Top 250 Firms
PDF: View list of Class of 2009 placements at top firms.

All BLS 2009 stats. (Bi-modal distributions ahead...)

Edit:
Also go to NALP to see who was interviewing on campus. (Advanced search, select all types of employers at the top, then Brooklyn, then hit search button.)

sophistry

Postby sophistry » Wed May 12, 2010 11:05 am

The graduating students I talked with said that private sector jobs--for those who could find jobs--generally pay around $75k. The career adviser during one of the Insider's Guides suggested that we should expect the $65,000-$138,000 range, depending on our legwork and grades.

sibley

Postby sibley » Wed May 12, 2010 9:27 pm

anyone have any links NOT posted by the school?

Mr. Pablo

Postby Mr. Pablo » Wed May 12, 2010 9:55 pm

sibley wrote:anyone have any links NOT posted by the school?

I doubt anyone but BLS is compiling and publishing employment info about BLS. I think the best way to get real employment information relevant to your interests is to look up those employers you are interested in and see if there is any BLS representation in last year, or at all. I'm not trying to be down on the school, I'm attending in the fall, but if you don't have some significant money offer or o you have better options, I would take them.

howardsbest

Postby howardsbest » Thu May 13, 2010 11:51 am

I just received my waitlist letter on Monday (PT program). I will be turning in a LOCI and 1 or 2 more LORs. Anyone else turning in anything other than this?

sophistry

Postby sophistry » Thu May 13, 2010 12:08 pm

Mr. Pablo wrote:

I doubt anyone but BLS is compiling and publishing employment info about BLS. I think the best way to get real employment information relevant to your interests is to look up those employers you are interested in and see if there is any BLS representation in last year, or at all. I'm not trying to be down on the school, I'm attending in the fall, but if you don't have some significant money offer or o you have better options, I would take them.

I agree with Pablo. I have a hard time believing any of the employment stats I read because I'm convinced the numbers are always fudged. Though you might be able to check NALP, since I believe they compile employer-reported data, which would likely be more honest. However, I admit I'm generally ignorant about NALP and haven't done as much research as I should have.

If I'm remembering correctly, you're deciding between BLS full ride or GW sticker? GW is going to have much better overall employment stats, and you know that. But if you want to practice in NYC and are debt averse, then BLS might be worth it (which you also know). If I were you, I'd think about where you want to work, if you'd still be happy graduating from school X at the median, and how debt averse you are, in that order. That being said, if you find any good non-BLS-reported employment stats, I'd love to see them.

sophistry

Postby sophistry » Thu May 13, 2010 12:19 pm

howardsbest wrote:I just received my waitlist letter on Monday (PT program). I will be turning in a LOCI and 1 or 2 more LORs. Anyone else turning in anything other than this?

If you live reasonably close, I'd suggest making an appointment with the Dean or Assistant Dean of admissions. Putting a face to your application would likely be a great help, assuming you have decent interview skills. Otherwise, a LOCI and one LOR should be enough.

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu May 13, 2010 12:20 pm

sophistry wrote:
Mr. Pablo wrote:

I agree with Pablo. I have a hard time believing any of the employment stats I read because I'm convinced the numbers are always fudged. Though you might be able to check NALP, since I believe they compile employer-reported data, which would likely be more honest. However, I admit I'm generally ignorant about NALP and haven't done as much research as I should have.

If I'm remembering correctly, you're deciding between BLS full ride or GW sticker? GW is going to have much better overall employment stats, and you know that. But if you want to practice in NYC and are debt averse, then BLS might be worth it (which you also know). If I were you, I'd think about where you want to work, if you'd still be happy graduating from school X at the median, and how debt averse you are, in that order. That being said, if you find any good non-BLS-reported employment stats, I'd love to see them.

Right, BLS full ride+ and GW sticker but with 15k need based. Both are very luring... one... free. the other... national rep (at least where I live now everyone thinks it's an awesome school...)

sophistry

Postby sophistry » Thu May 13, 2010 12:28 pm

sibley wrote:Right, BLS full ride+ and GW sticker but with 15k need based. Both are very luring... one... free. the other... national rep (at least where I live now everyone thinks it's an awesome school...)

Full disclosure: GW was one of my top choices, but I was rejected. I'm excited about BLS, however. You can't really lose with those choices. If you like DC/Gov't jobs or IP, I'd definitely recommend GW. Otherwise.... coin flip?

Steve Zissou

Postby Steve Zissou » Thu May 13, 2010 2:55 pm

BLS with $$$ vs GW with $... Can't say I envy your position. That seems like a difficult choice. It's probably going to boil down to where you'd prefer to live/practice.

And check NALP for non-BLS-generated information. http://www.nalpdirectory.com/

I'll save you some time and show you the NYC and DC offices that listed Brooklyn campus interviews (NOTE: Some firms interview BLS students but they don't show up on this list because they didn't provide NALP with a list of the schools they interview at [for example, look up Skaaden on the NALP site, you'll see no schools listed... I'm pretty sure they interview at BLS if they were hosting a BLS admissions event a couple months ago]):

Code: Select all

Allen & Overy (US Practice)                    New York   NY
Amster, Rothstein & Ebenstein LLP              New York   NY
Arnold & Porter LLP                            New York   NY
Baker & McKenzie LLP                           New York   NY
BINGHAM McCUTCHEN LLP                          NEW YORK   NY
BLANK ROME LLP                                 NEW YORK   NY
BRACEWELL & GIULIANI LLP -                     New York   NY
BRONX COUNTY DISTRICT ATTORNEY'S OFFICE        Bronx   NY
BROWN RUDNICK LLP                              NEW YORK   NY
BRYAN CAVE LLP - NEW YORK                      New York   NY
BRYAN CAVE LLP - WASHINGTON, DC                Washington   DC
Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP              New York   NY
CAHILL GORDON & REINDEL LLP                    NEW YORK   NY
Carter Ledyard & Milburn LLP                   New York   NY
Chadbourne & Parke LLP                         New York   NY
CLEARY GOTTLIEB STEEN & HAMILTON LLP -         NEW YORK   NY
COOPER & DUNHAM LLP                            New York   NY
Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit, Staff Attorneys' Office   New York   NY
DAVIS POLK & WARDWELL LLP - NEW YORK           New York   NY
Cullen and Dykman LLP                          Brooklyn Heights   NY
Day Pitney LLP                                 New York   NY
Day Pitney LLP                                 Washington   DC
Debevoise & Plimpton LLP                       New York   NY
FITZPATRICK, CELLA, HARPER & SCINTO            NEW YORK   NY
Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen & Loewy, LLP        New York   NY
FRIED, FRANK, HARRIS, SHRIVER & JACOBSON LLP   New York   NY
FROMMER LAWRENCE & HAUG LLP                    New York   NY
Hahn & Hessen LLP                              New York   NY
Herrick, Feinstein LLP                         New York   NY
Hodgson Russ LLP                               New York   NY
Hogan & Hartson LLP                            New York   NY
Kilpatrick Stockton LLP                        New York   NY
Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP            New York   NY
Lovells LLP                                    New York   NY
McDermott Will & Emery LLP - NY                New York   NY
Moses & Singer LLP                             New York   NY
Mound Cotton Wollan & Greengrass               New York   NY
New York City Law Department                   New York   NY
NEW YORK COUNTY DISTRICT ATTORNEY'S OFFICE     New York   NY
O'Melveny & [deleted] LLP - NEW YORK               New York   NY
Otterbourg, Steindler, Houston & Rosen, P.C.   New York   NY
Patton Boggs LLP                               Washington   DC
Patton Boggs LLP                               New York   NY
Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP   New York   NY
Proskauer                                      New York   NY
Ropes & Gray LLP                               Washington   DC
Ropes & Gray LLP                               New York   NY
Satterlee Stephens Burke & Burke LLP           New York   NY
Seward & Kissel LLP                            New York   NY
Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP --              New York   NY
Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP                  New York   NY
VENABLE LLP -                                  New York, NY   
VENABLE LLP -                                  Washington, D.C.   
WINSTON & STRAWN LLP                           New York   NY

Vault.com might have school employment info from the firms, but you'll have to pay $15?+ for it.

howardsbest

Postby howardsbest » Fri May 14, 2010 8:59 am

sophistry wrote:
howardsbest wrote:I just received my waitlist letter on Monday (PT program). I will be turning in a LOCI and 1 or 2 more LORs. Anyone else turning in anything other than this?

If you live reasonably close, I'd suggest making an appointment with the Dean or Assistant Dean of admissions. Putting a face to your application would likely be a great help, assuming you have decent interview skills. Otherwise, a LOCI and one LOR should be enough.

Thank you that is very helpful.

fakemoney

Postby fakemoney » Fri May 14, 2010 11:26 am

Last edited by fakemoney on Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rebecca2013

Postby Rebecca2013 » Mon May 17, 2010 2:59 pm

fakemoney wrote:I was accepted to the PT program back at the end of April. They accepted me like two minutes after my app went complete (which I sent ridiculously late), yet offered no scholarship money. I paid a seat deposit, but really doubt that I'm going to make a 2nd deposit. At this point I'm just gauging whether I have the stomach for yet another (3rd) LS cycle, plus waiting on a F/T application to Seton Hall to see if they offer me an acceptance with $.

Wow that's quick- I've been waiting to hear back from the PT program- what are your numbers?

krzyreeesh

Postby krzyreeesh » Mon May 17, 2010 6:11 pm

Anyone else going to the Insider's Guide to Brooklyn event tomorrow?

fakemoney

Postby fakemoney » Mon May 17, 2010 9:32 pm

Last edited by fakemoney on Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

knickfan

Postby knickfan » Mon May 17, 2010 11:37 pm

krzyreeesh wrote:Anyone else going to the Insider's Guide to Brooklyn event tomorrow?

Im not going either...I probably should though..I want to but no time :(

Please let us know how it goes...What did you guys do? Was it worth going?

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue May 18, 2010 10:01 am

knickfan wrote:
krzyreeesh wrote:Anyone else going to the Insider's Guide to Brooklyn event tomorrow?

yeah I want an update too please. the dean gave me to tomorrow to decide. I couldn't get off work to drive the 6 hours to nyc and just moved this weekend too so it didn't really work out but I'd like to get an idea of the atmosphere and your perceptions.

sophistry

Postby sophistry » Tue May 18, 2010 10:03 am

knickfan wrote:

I went and thought it was useful. If you are 100% going to BLS, I suppose you could probably skip it. I'm sure they'll go over all the best stuff during orientation. If you are undecided, I'd say attending is a must. A first hand experience of the place you'll be spending all your time for three years is incredibly important.

SaraT

Postby SaraT » Tue May 18, 2010 10:08 am

Hey guys, I would love your advice on my situation. I've been accepted to BLS with a full ride and Fordham with 22,000. Which do you think is the better choice if I want to do biglaw and stay in NYC?

sophistry

Postby sophistry » Tue May 18, 2010 10:12 am

SaraT wrote:Hey guys, I would love your advice on my situation. I've been accepted to BLS with a full ride and Fordham with 22,000. Which do you think is the better choice if I want to do biglaw and stay in NYC?

Hi Sara. Try posting this in the Choosing a Law School forum. You'll likely get biased responses here.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”