Brooklyn 09/10 cycle Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Sofiya345

New

Re: Brooklyn 09/10 cycle

Post by Sofiya345 » Fri May 21, 2010 12:15 pm

I just got the waitlist letter yesteday and I'm wondering what I can do to better my chances. I am planning on sending my updated transcript, a LOCI and an extra LOR, but someone had mentioned that it might be a good idea to make an appointment with the Dean or the Ass. Dean. I live in Brooklyn so this would be easy, but I'm wondering if its a good idea ? Thoughts ?

Oakley84

New

Post by Oakley84 » Fri May 21, 2010 12:25 pm

Sofiya345 wrote:I just got the waitlist letter yesteday and I'm wondering what I can do to better my chances. I am planning on sending my updated transcript, a LOCI and an extra LOR, but someone had mentioned that it might be a good idea to make an appointment with the Dean or the Ass. Dean. I live in Brooklyn so this would be easy, but I'm wondering if its a good idea ? Thoughts ?

Did you get waitlisted for full-time or part-time?

Rebecca2013

New

Post by Rebecca2013 » Sat May 22, 2010 9:58 pm

I just got a rejection letter in the mail..guess I wont be seeing any of you there! Good luck to all who are still waiting

salyesq

New

Post by salyesq » Mon May 24, 2010 8:52 pm

I just submitted my application to Brooklyn today. Very late I know, but luckily they are still accepting them through August. I originally did not apply because I was worried about the employment stats outside of New York. I have a very serious boyfriend who is currently in med-school and likely will not get a residency in NY.

I was dinged from Fordham today, which was my number one school. I'm not thrilled with my other choices and decided if I can get into Brooklyn its probably my best bet, even if it means stress on my relationship or trouble finding a job after.

Have any of you applied late? Do you know how much more difficult it gets at this point? I have a 165/3.5, I'm an Ivy graduate with 2 years work experience and letter of rec from a BLS alumni who also has offered to contact the dean for me. What do you think my chances are?

Should I retake the LSAT and try again next year?

Mr. Pablo

Bronze

Post by Mr. Pablo » Mon May 24, 2010 9:29 pm

You should probably retake and apply next year. Even if you don't do any better on the test, you should get some scholarship money which is probably gone by now.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fakemoney

Bronze

Post by fakemoney » Mon May 24, 2010 9:40 pm

salyesq wrote:I just submitted my application to Brooklyn today. Very late I know, but luckily they are still accepting them through August. I originally did not apply because I was worried about the employment stats outside of New York. I have a very serious boyfriend who is currently in med-school and likely will not get a residency in NY.

I was dinged from Fordham today, which was my number one school. I'm not thrilled with my other choices and decided if I can get into Brooklyn its probably my best bet, even if it means stress on my relationship or trouble finding a job after.

Have any of you applied late? Do you know how much more difficult it gets at this point? I have a 165/3.5, I'm an Ivy graduate with 2 years work experience and letter of rec from a BLS alumni who also has offered to contact the dean for me. What do you think my chances are?

Should I retake the LSAT and try again next year?
I wouldn't be shocked if you were accepted (especially if you're willing to do the part-time program); but had you applied earlier you likely would have gotten scholarship money. It's a question of whether better school options, possible scholarship money, and the prospective career benefits therefrom are worth waiting another year, repeating LSAT prep, rewriting personal statements, and doing all the other fun things of a law school application cycle. Most people on here will say it most certainly is worth the effort/wait, and it does seem a highly rationale choice. It's a choice I myself am facing, and to be perfectly honest, repeating a cycle is a bitter pill to swallow.

sophistry

Bronze

Post by sophistry » Tue May 25, 2010 10:53 am

Mr. Pablo wrote:You should probably retake and apply next year. Even if you don't do any better on the test, you should get some scholarship money which is probably gone by now.
This. Although if you're happy with your score, don't retake, just reapply very early. The dirty little secret about people at 165 and above is that the large majority who retake do worse. There are stats to back this up somewhere on TLS, but I lost the link. If you retake, don't fool around--study like you never have before.

Also remember that both Fordham and BLS are only really worth it for NYC. You should seriously consider where you and your SO will end up living and apply to schools in that region. Either that or retake the test, get a 174, and go to a T6.

howardsbest

New

Post by howardsbest » Wed May 26, 2010 10:22 am

So I just got an email from Brooklyn saying they are reviewing my file. I turned my app in for the category II deadline. Anyone else get this email from them?

rossrobert

New

Post by rossrobert » Wed May 26, 2010 11:37 am

howardsbest wrote:So I just got an email from Brooklyn saying they are reviewing my file. I turned my app in for the category II deadline. Anyone else get this email from them?
I received it yesterday.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

howardsbest

New

Post by howardsbest » Wed May 26, 2010 11:45 am

rossrobert wrote:
howardsbest wrote:So I just got an email from Brooklyn saying they are reviewing my file. I turned my app in for the category II deadline. Anyone else get this email from them?
I received it yesterday.
I spoke with admissions yesterday and they informed me that this meant your application was now with the committee.

yeahyeah2121

New

Post by yeahyeah2121 » Thu May 27, 2010 4:03 pm

Any waitlist action yet?

rossrobert

New

Post by rossrobert » Thu May 27, 2010 6:06 pm

howardsbest wrote:
rossrobert wrote:
I received it yesterday.
I spoke with admissions yesterday and they informed me that this meant your application was now with the committee.
got the rejection letter today, i knew that was coming. just funny as I got the e-mail on tuesday and the letter was dated tuesday's date as well. guess it only took a minute to look at my application and reject me.

b.j.

Bronze

Post by b.j. » Thu May 27, 2010 8:37 pm

rossrobert wrote:
howardsbest wrote:
rossrobert wrote:
I received it yesterday.
got the rejection letter today, i knew that was coming. just funny as I got the e-mail on tuesday and the letter was dated tuesday's date as well. guess it only took a minute to look at my application and reject me.
I'm still waiting on my decision, but I'm not confident. At this point, if I got in, I'm not sure what I'd do, since I almost certainly wouldn't get enough aid in anything besides loans to make it worth going. I'd love to be pleasantly surprised, however.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

fakemoney

Bronze

Post by fakemoney » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:42 pm

Last edited by fakemoney on Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

howardsbest

New

Post by howardsbest » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:32 pm

Got my rejection letter yesterday. That letter was a little cumbersome for me.

Sofiya345

New

Post by Sofiya345 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:58 pm

Oakley84 wrote:
Sofiya345 wrote:I just got the waitlist letter yesteday and I'm wondering what I can do to better my chances. I am planning on sending my updated transcript, a LOCI and an extra LOR, but someone had mentioned that it might be a good idea to make an appointment with the Dean or the Ass. Dean. I live in Brooklyn so this would be easy, but I'm wondering if its a good idea ? Thoughts ?

Did you get waitlisted for full-time or part-time?
I got FT Waitlist but I also asked to be considered for PT if there was any available space.

Clair1331

New

Post by Clair1331 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:36 pm

Hi Everyone! I'm trying to get all the enrollment requirements to Brooklyn in order, but I moved and then was on vacation with my mail on hold, which is now missing. I got the mailing about the tuition and fees/immunization records with their deadlines but I am afraid I might have missed any other mail. Have there been any other mailings or any where online where they list the deadlines? Thank you so much!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:41 pm

Clair1331 wrote:Hi Everyone! I'm trying to get all the enrollment requirements to Brooklyn in order, but I moved and then was on vacation with my mail on hold, which is now missing. I got the mailing about the tuition and fees/immunization records with their deadlines but I am afraid I might have missed any other mail. Have there been any other mailings or any where online where they list the deadlines? Thank you so much!

I am travelling overseas and thus have seen 0 mailings from bls since may--I took care of the transcripts, but what are you talking about with immunizations? this is the first I have heard of this

Clair1331

New

Post by Clair1331 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:23 am

[quote="goosey"][quote="Clair1331"]Hi Everyone! I'm trying to get all the enrollment requirements to Brooklyn in order, but I moved and then was on vacation with my mail on hold, which is now missing. I got the mailing about the tuition and fees/immunization records with their deadlines but I am afraid I might have missed any other mail. Have there been any other mailings or any where online where they list the deadlines? Thank you so much![/quote]

I am travelling overseas and thus have seen 0 mailings from bls since may--I took care of the transcripts, but what are you talking about with immunizations? this is the first I have heard of this[/quote]

They sent out an mailing saying the fees and tuition and a Direct Deposit account are due by July 15, immunization records (MMR, etc.) and Meningitis vaccine (or acknowledgment for not getting one) are due by August 2. Hopefully you can contact someone at the admissions office and explain you are out of the country and will be delayed in sending the information if you are not back by then or have someone with access to your mail at your permanent address to handle it. They did warn failure to provide the materials may result in a delay in enrollment or loss of your seat. Unfortunately, I've seen no information about either on the website except for:

https://blsconnect.brooklaw.edu/student ... fault.aspx

I think that lists everything that new students need to do for enrollment. I tried calling the admissions office about those deadlines and any others, but the woman who answered didn't seem to know what I was talking about.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”