Brooklyn 09/10 cycle Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sibley

Gold

Re: Brooklyn 09/10 cycle

Post by sibley » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:20 am

H. E. Pennypacker wrote:
sibley wrote:
H. E. Pennypacker wrote:
champ33 wrote:Did anyone else get a phone call from a current student?
Yes.
What about a note scrawled on the back of the letter from the dean suggesting you 'meet up?'
And does that actually mean he wants to meet up? Or does that just mean he wants me to go to one of the admitted students days?
Same message. Nothing particulary personal about it. I would imagine he is talking about an accepted students day.
He has very nice handwriting, doesn't he?

H. E. Pennypacker

Silver

Post by H. E. Pennypacker » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:27 am

sibley wrote:He has very nice handwriting, doesn't he?
That, he does.

Jagg3003

New

Post by Jagg3003 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:38 am

Got the waitlist letter yesterday, ugh. Went complete early December.

gabewatch

Bronze

Post by gabewatch » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:23 pm

accepted via email this morning, cant see myself going unless i get offered a lot of $

sirchristaylor

Bronze

Post by sirchristaylor » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:26 pm

I applied here on 11/1 and was complete right away. However, I never received a complete email. I just called Admissions and spoke to a salty woman who couldn't even bother to ask if I had any other questions or say goodbye before ending the call. She said I was complete and just hung up the phone. Total turn off.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dgb87

New

Post by dgb87 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:32 pm

Does anyone know if Brooklyn offers travel stipends to come visit?

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:49 pm

dgb87 wrote:Does anyone know if Brooklyn offers travel stipends to come visit?

Yep! something like $200 if you're more than 250 miles away, and more if you're 500 miles or more, I think.
250 is the first cutoff distance, for sure (I'm 260, so I noticed...)

Raskolnikoff

Bronze

Post by Raskolnikoff » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:23 pm

Last edited by Raskolnikoff on Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:31 pm

Raskolnikoff wrote:
sibley wrote:
Raskolnikoff wrote:
sibley wrote:
Is that the zip code for the Kings County SC? Or the public defender's office? They're right across the street. Perhaps you're a party in a case.
:x

Thanks. I think I know what it is now.
Well don't freak out until you see what it is... and when you do find out, let me know! I'm curious.
For anyone who cares to find out:

The letter was from the MTA Transit Adjudication Bureau, just as I expected. Back in December, I got a $100 ticket for walking between cars on a subway train (I shit you not). I checked the "not guilty" box and sent it along with an explanatory letter (with a made up story about a homeless person and foul smell) on its happy way to Brooklyn.

The certified letter was a response from the "hearing" on my case. Just to receive the letter, I had to sign name, print name, print address on a touch-pad and then do the same on a paper slip. At that point I was sure it was at least a copy of my arrest warrant, if not a death sentence.

Turns out that the case was thrown b/c my ticket had no date on it and the copy that the cop submitted did. :D
Awesome!!
I got a ticket in the adirondaks for camping in a spot that was no longer a designated camping spot. they drove by at 11pm and has us move our cars off the road. they came back at 2am, woke us up, and ticketed us. the ranger then told us we could move to another unmarked spot, but that one was okay. I called the court a half dozen times at least, but the court is tiny and no one answered... until I left a final voicemail, which said "If I don't hear from you I'm going to assume the case has been thrown out." Then the judge called me back. but when I returned his call in the hours he said to he didn't answer! so I didn't attend my 6-hours-away hearing. Instead I wrote a letter requesting an attached letter be heard as a defense. I included maps from the parks website showing the site as a real campground. This was October. I assume the judge was like "I am not messing with this." and threw it out. Because, hello Hammurabi, laws have to be posted.

Tickets suck. Especially the poorly justified ones where the cops just seem to want to fill their quota.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Steve Zissou

New

Post by Steve Zissou » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:36 pm

Just saying hello in case I end up here. Admitted, but not my top choice.

flowylime

New

Post by flowylime » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:44 pm

Hey guys, just withdrew. Hope my spot goes to one of you still waiting! Best of luck.

sdavid

New

Post by sdavid » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:20 pm

Does anyone know if Brooklyn has sent out any rejections yet?

rockababy123

New

Post by rockababy123 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:30 pm

So I have all of my documents in for Brooklyn, but I haven't received any notification about my application being complete. Does Brooklyn send out an email?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bludvl_prelaw

New

Post by bludvl_prelaw » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:40 pm

In today via e-mail!

Congratulations to all of you who have been accepted. Brooklyn is actually in my top 5 schools, so I'm pretty excited.

knickfan

Bronze

Post by knickfan » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:44 pm

bludvl_prelaw wrote:In today via e-mail!

Congratulations to all of you who have been accepted. Brooklyn is actually in my top 5 schools, so I'm pretty excited.
When did you go complete?

Also, how were you accepted (email, snail mail?)

So far I only received an email saying they have my application and will notify me if they need anything.

bjf

Bronze

Post by bjf » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:49 pm

rockababy123 wrote:So I have all of my documents in for Brooklyn, but I haven't received any notification about my application being complete. Does Brooklyn send out an email?
+1 I'm wondering the same thing.

eam829

New

Post by eam829 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:39 pm

In today via email. Finally some good news!

App submitted by early Nov. but my undergrad dropped the ball and didn't send dean's cert til Jan 8.

- Also for those of you wondering about 'complete' notifications, they sent me one on Jan 25 basically saying it was gonna take forever (though I guess it wasn't the case)

"During the course of this review, if we determine that something is missing or requires further clarification, we will communicate with you promptly. Otherwise, you can assume that your file is complete.

Beginning in mid-January, the Law School’s Committee on Admissions will be meeting approximately once each week throughout the spring semester. Your file is among the thousands of Category I files that are now being reviewed. We will do our best to notify you by mail of the School’s decision as soon before April 1 as we can. We apologize in advance for any increased levels of anxiety or uncertainty this may cause but, as you can well imagine, multiple reviews of several thousand applications and comparative deliberations by the Committee on Admissions consume a great amount of time."
Last edited by eam829 on Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:42 pm

Got that call from a student that y'all were talking about. He seemed a little awkward and appeared to be working full time? But he was nice and he told me I could call him on his cell phone if I had any questions. Asked me if I was still interested in Brooklyn, did your callers ask you that?

nyred10

New

Post by nyred10 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:49 pm

eam829 wrote:In today via email. Finally some good news!

App submitted by early Nov. but my undergrad dropped the ball and didn't send dean's cert til Jan 8.

- Also for those of you wondering about 'complete' notifications, they sent me one on Jan 25 basically saying it was gonna take forever (though I guess it wasn't the case)

"During the course of this review, if we determine that something is missing or requires further clarification, we will communicate with you promptly. Otherwise, you can assume that your file is complete.

Beginning in mid-January, the Law School’s Committee on Admissions will be meeting approximately once each week throughout the spring semester. Your file is among the thousands of Category I files that are now being reviewed. We will do our best to notify you by mail of the School’s decision as soon before April 1 as we can. We apologize in advance for any increased levels of anxiety or uncertainty this may cause but, as you can well imagine, multiple reviews of several thousand applications and comparative deliberations by the Committee on Admissions consume a great amount of time."
So glad you posted this! I got my complete notification email last Wednesday and saw on LSN and TLS that decisions seemed to be coming out a day or two after. I was losing hope that I had any chance of getting accepted since they were taking a relatively long time, but I guess I still have a shot!

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:55 pm

Website 1,000 X better! What took them so long?

knickfan

Bronze

Post by knickfan » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:56 pm

nyred10 wrote:
eam829 wrote:In today via email. Finally some good news!

So glad you posted this! I got my complete notification email last Wednesday and saw on LSN and TLS that decisions seemed to be coming out a day or two after. I was losing hope that I had any chance of getting accepted since they were taking a relatively long time, but I guess I still have a shot!
It seems once you get this email, the decision is near..Thanks a lot for posting this!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

nyred10

New

Post by nyred10 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:16 pm

Waitlisted today via snail mail.

dreman510

Bronze

Post by dreman510 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:22 pm

PDaddy wrote:Website 1,000 X better! What took them so long?
You mean the new website?!

miche1esim

New

Post by miche1esim » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:25 pm

in just now by email! 163, 3.68 full time

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:27 pm

Anyone get the magazine about culinary stuff? it arrived yesterday, same day as my big box.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”