In at Yale!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
cougit

Re: In at Yale!

Postby cougit » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:28 pm

I really think (hope) Yale isn't filled with Ivy elitists. I was accepted and I come from a small state school with absolutely no prestige. True, I'll probably be completely overwhelmed if I end up there, but I tend to think the people who have that "elitist" attitude about attending an Ivy undergrad are the ones who are very average, not the ones who end up at Yale. From what I've heard, most YLS students are very humble and accepting.

sfdreaming09

Postby sfdreaming09 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:55 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:Got the phone call today! I need someone to pinch me, seriously.

Congrats everyone!

Wow! Congrats to a fellow Golden Bear!

zabagabe

Postby zabagabe » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:12 pm

cougit wrote:I really think (hope) Yale isn't filled with Ivy elitists. I was accepted and I come from a small state school with absolutely no prestige. True, I'll probably be completely overwhelmed if I end up there, but I tend to think the people who have that "elitist" attitude about attending an Ivy undergrad are the ones who are very average, not the ones who end up at Yale. From what I've heard, most YLS students are very humble and accepting.

I think it's probably a mix. When I visited schools last year, there wasn't anywhere where I got no whiff of an elitist vibe. I know some people at YLS who are detestable and totally high on the fact that they go to YLS and some who are beyond virtuous, but again, some of the worst didn't go to "elitist" undergrads, so I think it's way too simplistic to say ivy = elite and state school = humble. That said, I've found almost everyone I know or met there to be really, really thoughtful, kind, and fun to be around. People kept saying to me: "I never thought I would form closer friendships than my friendships from college, but then I came to YLS." :) The tipping point for me choosing YLS last year was the people.

cougit

Postby cougit » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:34 pm

My comment might have come across wrong. I think you are correct that any school is bound to be a mix and I was by no means implying that a public undergrad makes people more humble... but I think that people assume those from an Ivy are just bound to be more pretentious and that seems to be false from everything I've heard. Some of the most pretentious people I've met are from schools that really aren't that great and it's wrong to assume that just because YLS's student body is predominantly Ivy that everyone there is elitist.

I'm also really glad to hear that you found YLS to be so welcoming and friendly. I am really looking forward to visiting for ASW and checking out the vibe for myself.

Hoopster

Postby Hoopster » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:28 am

^^^^ I'm a 1L. I can attest to the friendliness, warmth and acceptance among everybody in my class, regardless of what school they came from. Most of us are pretty down-to-earth. Sure, there are a few weirdos and nerds but while everyone is unbelievably smart and driven, there's absolutely no competition between us. In fact, we all openly help each other out. They are real cool to hang out with. We get together for dinner or at the many bars in New Haven frequently. We've done some crazy things together too but that's part of the bondage. :wink:

Congratulations to all that are in at YLS! :D

bgc

Postby bgc » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:54 pm

YLS is surprisingly mixed as far as UG representation. I went to a state school and expected that to be unusual. While there is certainly a heavy representation from the more prestigious UGs, there are many, many students who went to large state schools.

If anything, I think there's an element of pride among those who went that route, having ended up in the same place without the debt.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:57 pm

bgc wrote:YLS is surprisingly mixed as far as UG representation. I went to a state school and expected that to be unusual. While there is certainly a heavy representation from the more prestigious UGs, there are many, many students who went to large state schools.

If anything, I think there's an element of pride among those who went that route, having ended up in the same place without the debt.

I'm hoping I can continue that tradition ;)

Quine

Postby Quine » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:18 pm

Hoopster wrote:^^^^ I'm a 1L. I can attest to the friendliness, warmth and acceptance among everybody in my class, regardless of what school they came from. Most of us are pretty down-to-earth. Sure, there are a few weirdos and nerds but while everyone is unbelievably smart and driven, there's absolutely no competition between us. In fact, we all openly help each other out. They are real cool to hang out with. We get together for dinner or at the many bars in New Haven frequently. We've done some crazy things together too but that's part of the bondage. :wink:

Congratulations to all that are in at YLS! :D

I didn't know YLS was so kinky, or was that an attempt at a pun?

goosey

Postby goosey » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:19 pm

hi, I hate you all :)

thats all.

(kidding. congratulations to all that got accepted. I dont belong in this thread with my 161 *jealous*)

dot

Postby dot » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:14 pm

Congrats everyone!

I will expect some tips from all of you for next cycle.

Hoopster

Postby Hoopster » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:23 pm

I didn't know YLS was so kinky, or was that an attempt at a pun?

Maybe...... :lol:

mhopeful

Postby mhopeful » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:05 pm

Hi everyone-
I was in last week--excited to join you all! Any thoughts on yale v. Harvard? Would appreciate insights!!!

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:12 pm

Kakarot wrote:
GeePee wrote:Have fun chillin' here by yourself, marbletop. Maybe you'll have some company in February.

EDIT: Mind sharing your Y250? I'm pretty curious now.

+1 Marbletop, if you don't mind will you share it wil me also?

Folklore is that some Yale essay readers actually value the 250 above all else. Scary, but inspiring at the same time. It means that every year, somebody gets in with the quick "wow factor". Their numbers must still be good, but I'm just saying.

CordeliusX

Postby CordeliusX » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:24 pm

So I'm curious when most acceptances are going to come. Any ideas? I've read late February? :shock:( I applied on a whim but I have essentially no shot :oops: )

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:58 pm

Qualified for this thread today, so I'm recalling it from the remote page 4 province to which it had been banished.

Veritas2010

Postby Veritas2010 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:24 pm

managamy wrote:Qualified for this thread today, so I'm recalling it from the remote page 4 province to which it had been banished.

CONGRATS!!!!!!

I just have some Q's:

1. Do you know who called? As in, is it the Dean or someone from the Adm. Office?
2. What do they say?
3. How did you react?!

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:33 pm

Veritas2010 wrote:
managamy wrote:Qualified for this thread today, so I'm recalling it from the remote page 4 province to which it had been banished.

CONGRATS!!!!!!

I just have some Q's:

1. Do you know who called? As in, is it the Dean or someone from the Adm. Office?
2. What do they say?
3. How did you react?!

1. Somebody called Craig was speaking; I think that it was the Admissions Dean, but it could have been an Assistant Admissions Dean.

2. He just said in a gentle voice that he wanted to let me know that they were impressed with my file and wanted to offer me a spot in the Class of 2013. The words were calm but unambiguous.

3. I told him that I really appreciated his offer, that it would mean a great deal to my family as well, and that I would seriously consider it in the coming months. Obviously, it doesn't matter what you say at that point, though.

Veritas2010

Postby Veritas2010 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:38 pm

managamy wrote:
Veritas2010 wrote:

CONGRATS!!!!!!

I just have some Q's:

2. What do they say?
3. How did you react?!

1. Somebody called Craig was speaking; I think that it was the Admissions Dean, but it could have been an Assistant Admissions Dean.

2. He just said in a gentle voice that he wanted to let me know that they were impressed with my file and wanted to offer me a spot in the Class of 2013. The words were calm but unambiguous.

3. I told him that I really appreciated his offer, that it would mean a great deal to my family as well, and that I would seriously consider it in the coming months. Obviously, it doesn't matter what you say at that point, though.

Thanks! My friend who got in last year ran screaming out of her room and scared her whole family lol.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:55 pm

Veritas2010 wrote:
managamy wrote:
Veritas2010 wrote:

CONGRATS!!!!!!

I just have some Q's:

2. What do they say?
3. How did you react?!

Thanks! My friend who got in last year ran screaming out of her room and scared her whole family lol.

Hahaha, your friend sounds like my sister when she was accepted at Yale undergraduate. It's not quite as much of a gold standard for me as it is for the rest of my family.

natalie123

Postby natalie123 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:18 pm

hey, i'm joining this thread too. got the call from craig janecek yesterday and am still pinching myself. oh, and from upthread, i'm not from an elite school of any sort.

eta-he just said congratulations, we'd like to invite you to join the yale law school class of 2013. then i said, 'oh my god, thank you, oh my goodness.' there was not much else i could stammer out except, 'as you can tell, i'm speechless' and then he laughed.

so we get a box from them? not just a viewbook?

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:21 pm

natalie123 wrote:so we get a box from them? not just a viewbook?

How soon does it come after the call?

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:56 pm

managamy wrote:

Mailed within the week, I think. And it's a big old binder of goodness :D

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:14 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:
managamy wrote:

Mailed within the week, I think. And it's a big old binder of goodness :D

I can imagine! Thanks.

joshikousei

Postby joshikousei » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:13 am

almost everyone that i've met at yls has been great, with a solid head on their shoulders. some have the hubris that you'll detest, but i would say that the overwhelming majority of people (bgc, for example :P) are wonderful and cool.

anyway, that said, congratulations to everyone who's been admitted. :-) i'd been rooting for a lot of you guys.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:15 am

joshikousei wrote:anyway, that said, congratulations to everyone who's been admitted. :-) i'd been rooting for a lot of you guys.

Keep the good karma flowing; it's clearly working!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”